• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unit 13 |OT|

It seems uninspired, but I'll check out the demo. I wouldn't mind having a game like this for my Vita so I can blast dudes on the go.

It's zipper recycling all of there mag and socom 4 assests so of course it looks unisnpired because it is. I will say while I hated Socom 4 and hated how it ruined that franchise even more the gsme did look and run great on the ps3 so I have no reason to believe it won't on the vita. Zipper was smart not to put the socom name on this though, as it would have drawn up too many comparisons.

Ninja edit: meant to say it would look great on the vita.

Images are in 960×544, so either someone scaled them down and upscaled them or the game is not in native resolution.

Uh no, it's the pixel density of the screen. The game is rendering at 960x544 on a 5 inch screen, so when you take the same picture and put it on a normal monitor (or TV), of course they're going to look a lot worse.

Looking forward to this game!

VITA should arrive from Amazon by Friday (amazon UK shipping to Ireland :( ) with Rayman and 8GB card. Will download the demo!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Not too stable framerate, no AA at all. I was expecting more.

Without having fraps running, describe stable? If anything, the game feels solid for the most part. I would understand if the fps went into crazy noticeable slowdown but I didn't even see that.

The game does look much better on a Vita screen and I guess some forgot that the compression on the direct captures is horrible.

I may be wrong on the AA but some spots looked aliased to be while others didn't.

As I said, it looks native res to me but if it's not, it has to be higher than something Uncharted (which looks really good too).

And most importantly, the game is pretty fun. It feels like the right condensed game for a handheld but with some of that typical shooter depth. Can't wait to try the co op out.

One element I didn't expect was the heavy stealth mechanic. That there alone took it up one notch and made it a little better.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just played it. Controls really well, and gives me hope that the small "throw" of the analog sticks won't hinder FPS/shooters whatsoever. Aiming is much better than Uncharted.

Day 1 for me!

Gacha-pin

This demo made me want some kind of a Splinter Cell type game on Vita.

Also, I want someone tos make a spy game on PS3 and you can use Vita as a ingame PDA or a gadgets in the game. I don't know if it would make the game better though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Without having fraps running, describe stable? If anything, the game feels solid for the most part. I would understand if the fps went into crazy noticeable slowdown but I didn't even see that.

The game does look much better on a Vita screen and I guess some forgot that the compression on the direct captures is horrible.

I may be wrong on the AA but some spots looked aliased to be while others didn't.
Uhh, stable would be a framerate that maintains a set rate of 30 or 60 fps the vast majority of the time. The framerate in this demo spends a lot of time below 30 fps so it is NOT stable.

Knowing the dev, though, I'm not surprised in the least.

legbone

when this game was announced i totally ignored it. i downloaded the demo this morning because i would play the demo of reading the phone book on my vita. this game is really fun. i was concerned about a shooter on the vita. my concerns were unfounded. it works great. i love how they used the touch controls. they didn't overdo it. reload and scope on the touch screen was really intuitive and just came to me second nature. i was having trouble using the dpad to scope and i just instinctively reached for the screen to scope. i wasn't even aware of the scope button on the screen. imagine my surprise when it did what i wanted. nice controls and the game looks good. may actually pick this up.

This demo made me want some kind of a Splinter Cell type game on Vita.

Also, I want someone tos make a spy game on PS3 and you can use Vita as a ingame PDA or a gadgets in the game. I don't know if it would make the game better though.

most likely what will happen is that whenever you look down to your Vita for the pda function, you'll stop what you're doing on ps3 and take your eyes off the tv. if you're gonna stop playing the game anyway, it's better if you simply pause the game on ps3 that will bring the pda on screen on your tv. no need for a Vita gimmick (this apply to Wii U tablet too)

Djin1979

It looks way sharper than uncharted but the jaggies...arrrgh, I think the game runs in native resolution though.
The demo was fun and the aiming is perfect, I was a little worried after the clunky aiming in uncharted, those sticks feel goooood.

Uhh, stable would be a framerate that maintains a set rate of 30 or 60 fps the vast majority of the time. The framerate in this demo spends a lot of time below 30 fps so it is NOT stable.

Knowing the dev, though, I'm not surprised in the least.

the opening cutscene have noticeable slowdown to me, but I thought the actual action during gameplay is pretty smooth, at least I didn't notice it during gameplay. maybe it help that I'm playing stealth so not a lot of action on screen.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
the opening cutscene have noticeable slowdown to me, but I thought the actual action during gameplay is pretty smooth, at least I didn't notice it during gameplay. maybe it help that I'm playing stealth so not a lot of action on screen.
Well it's not really choppy, but it definitely isn't stable. I feel as if they are using triple buffering which allows the framerate to run between 20 and 30 fps rather than dropping from 30 to 20 when slowdown occurs. The side effect is a bit of judder when you're in that range. I'd say the demo runs between 25-30 fps most of the time. So it's definitely not unplayable or anything but it doesn't feel as smooth as it should.

Gacha-pin

It looks way sharper than uncharted but the jaggies...arrrgh, I think the game runs in native resolution though.
The demo was fun and the aiming is perfect, I was a little worried after the clunky aiming in uncharted, those sticks feel goooood.

I'm not a fan of motion sencer but to my surprise, I'm too used to the gyro aming after playing a couple of gyro aming games on Vita. I need it on this game too......

matmanx1

Downloaded the demo this morning before work but then had to head out before I got a chance to try it. Hopefully I'll have time on one of my breaks later.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Man that notification is huge. HI ASTROLAD

Have you seen the notifications during games where that little piece of real estate is actually really important (Lumines)? Pretty brutal. But I do like getting notifications so nbd.

TheExodu5

Banned
That's not native res. Look at the jaggies in the window of the first picture...they're wider than 1 pixel. That seems to indicate sub-native res to me.

One line will have a dark edge, the next one a lighter edge.

Yeah, definitely not native res.

edit: I don't really know exactly how pixel counting works, but I'll give it a shot. Stay tuned.

Bebpo

Banned
Have you seen the notifications during games where that little piece of real estate is actually really important (Lumines)? Pretty brutal. But I do like getting notifications so nbd.

Had that happen last night in Lumines. WHAT DOES MY BLOCK LOOK LIKE AHHHHHHH :(

Probably should just turn notifications off like I do on PS3. But then you don't get notifications of messages incoming. They really need to separate the "friend has gone online/offline" message from the rest of the notifications.

TheExodu5

Banned
2012-02-22-010738tgab9.jpg

Approximate pixel count:

The right side of the window is 163 pixels tall. There are roughly 10.5 segments breaking up the right side of the window (counting each segment as ~17 pixels tall). These 10.5 segments span 14 horizontal pixels.

10.5/14 = 0.75 of native res

Assuming horizontal and vertical res are scaled equally, that means this game is running at roughly 720x408.

As a hardcore old school socom fan I will state categorically that you should never listen to a hardcore old school socom fan's opinion on anything. As a group we are the craziest and whiniest of all videogame subcultures.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
2012-02-22-010738tgab9.jpg

Approximate pixel count:

The right side of the window is 163 pixels tall. There are roughly 10.5 segments breaking up the right side of the window (counting each segment as ~17 pixels tall). These 10.5 segments span 14 horizontal pixels.

Assuming horizontal and vertical res are scaled equally, that means this game is running at roughly 720x408.

Is that higher res than Uncharted? It certainly looks like it to me. But again, it looked sharp on my system.

TheExodu5

Banned
Is that higher res than Uncharted? It certainly looks like it to me. But again, it looked sharp on my system.

I haven't pixel counted Uncharted. Maybe I'll give it a shot later tonight...

TBH, this is the first time I've done any pixel counting, so my results are likely not 100% accurate, but I think my methodology is okay and the results should be approximately accurate.

Also, I only really know how to count if I can get a screenshot with a long angled wall. Maybe that's the only way to reliably count. Might be tougher to find that kind of screenshot for Uncharted.

Man

This game does all the important stuff right. The shooting feels realistic and lethal. Characters are detailed and animates well. Too bad they chose the most generic name possible :p but the gameplay and graphics here are very good. I like the dot aim. I have my controls set to 70. Really appreciate being able to just walk around dual-stick mode popping up scope mode without a thought etc on a handheld.

This game does all the important stuff right. The shooting feels realistic and lethal. Characters are detailed and animates well. Too bad they chose the most generic name possible :p but the gameplay and graphics here are very good. I like the dot aim. I have my controls set to 70. Really appreciate being able to just walk around dual-stick mode popping up scope mode without a thought etc on a handheld.

I spent another hour or so with it last night, and it's just so pure. I love that aspect. The combo system is great, especially when you play cat and mouse in a warehouse, doing "hit and runs" and "blindsides" etc. Really awesome.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I was able to sneak up on two guys talking, knife one in the back, shoot the other guy in the face before he could bring his gun up, and shot the guy behind me as he tried to run towards me.

There really would have been zero way of doing this with the PSP controls. Makes me appreciate dual sticks that much more.

Thoraxes

Was this post necessary?

Yes. The screens definitely do not look like they're in native res, there's a massive lack of a decent amount of AA, and I am pointing out the fact that I like that pixel density helps compensate with visuals when viewed of the native systems screen because they do not properly do the visuals justice on another medium. Like for instance, Infinity Blade on iOS. It looks like trash when viewing native res screens on my PC, but on the iOS device itself, the pixel density compensates for the visuals giving it a greater look that it's actually outputting.

Technology is cool, but it's still disheartening that it's not where a lot of us could hope it would be.

tl;dr: they look better on the Vita than on my computer because tech mumbo jumbo.

demolitio

I enjoyed it. Still feels like an experiment of Zipper's trying to figure out what works and how the system is so they're prepared for a new SOCOM.

dreamfall

I don't know what's going on, but this demo keeps freezing my system! I finished training after it froze once, launched into the first mission and froze again. Sheeeesh. I reset my system, but I'm going to leave it for a bit. I really enjoyed what I played through thus far, just wished it would work better! Anyone else having these issues?

n
I don't know what's going on, but this demo keeps freezing my system! I finished training after it froze once, launched into the first mission and froze again. Sheeeesh. I reset my system, but I'm going to leave it for a bit. I really enjoyed what I played through thus far, just wished it would work better! Anyone else having these issues?

Pretty common unfortunately. It freeze mine once.

Love the demo. Just being able to have a shooter with proper analog controls makes a world of difference.

Stealth was fun and shooting felt precise and rewarding. Visuals are quite beautiful and the animation is really, really good. Very smooth, in fact. Controls were well thought out and I don't actually hate the touch screen implementation.

I really, really like it. Really awesome to be able to walk around the house playing a shooter with dual analog control and not missing a beat.

VanWinkle

What do you guys suggest I put the sensitivity on to get the full potential? Default didn't feel great to me. I couldn't tell if it was too sensitive or not sensitive enough, though.

Approximate pixel count:

What is the deal with Vita games running sub native res? This seems a little too common at this point, and it's beginning to concern me. What's the point of having a beautiful high res OLED screen when nearly 3/4 of the games are running far below it's capabilities?

Sony should mandate a native res for these developers. They can put their big boy pants on and shoot for that res from day one. It can't be that hard.

TheExodu5

Banned
Performance issues. Trying to push near console quality visuals with insufficient hardware (or software know-how).

720x408 = 293,760 pixels
960x544 = 522,240 pixels

That's 78% more pixels at native res, which means you need roughly that much extra performance to maintain the same level of visuals.

They're cutting the resolution of the games down to a point where they think people won't notice.

dreamfall

I can't get it to work. I'm kind of worried too, my system has froze four times while attempting to play this. I had issues with one chapter of Uncharted before, but other than that, my system has had no problems. I can't even get five minutes into the first mission after training before it stops. Maybe I'll download it again, but dammit :/

RoylAsult

Demo was awesome, cant wait for the game

also little advice, i feel like the demo causes problems when you hit deploy for the mission when the girl is still talking. Just wait till she is done and everything should run dandy

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
What's the best looking Vita game? Rayman? Is that 544p?

I would definitely say Rayman, from what I've seen. It's the amazing image quality and the smooth framerate that give it the edge. Uncharted is more impressive in some ways, but the resolution and aliasing detract a lot from the overall quality.

Anyways, I tried the Unit 13 demo. It's actually not bad. I didn't feel too held back by the controls and the gunplay felt satisfying. It seems to offer a bit more than your average twitchy TPS, there appears to be lots of customization and some room for tactics. It's not ambitious, but it might be able to scratch my portable shooter itch. With the sub-native res and the nasty aliasing, it does look kinda rough though. It's on my radar, but not a sure thing.

XOMTOR

Why is the Vita having such a difficult time running games @ 960x544? Even this title running at 720x408 struggles with framerate and AA. I have to wonder what resolution Uncharted and Unit 13 would need to run at in order to get a solid framerate as well as good AA? I know they're launch titles and all that but not being able to output at the devices native rez?

Is Sony purposefully limiting CPU or GPU speed or something? Sorry, guess I'm kinda disappointed since when it was announced, it was touted as being almost a portable PS3.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
This has made my Vita lockup three times now. I think I'm sold on the game, but hopefully the final product is more stable.

Top Bottom