• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Shift Around Racial Rhetoric in the US is Disconcerting

I'll keep this short and sweet.

Bill Maher, a "liberal" talk show host, says the n-word on air: still has his job.

Pewdiepie, the most popular youTuber there is with huge influence on kids and teens, says the n-word: very few repercussions.

Kaepernick kneels during anthem in protest of racial injustice: blackballed from the NFL.

Jemele Hill calls the president a white supremacist: the WH itself calls for her to be fired.

Now, I'm not going to gloss over the fact that the history of the United States is a history of racial oppression. I'm not suggesting that things were better before in aggregate. However, I recall figures like Don Imus with his "nappy headed hos" comment and Don Sterling with his racist fiasco suffering a huge fallout for their remarks. Over the last year though, it seems like there's been a normalization toward anybody being able to say the n-word, at least to the extent that you can't bank on them suffering professional damage for doing so. At the same time, people who speak from the opposite perspective by pointing out issues of racial injustice are forced out of their positions.

Can't we get back to the good ol' days where white people saying the n-word, or even just something that's racially insensitive, was grounds for resignation?

Why are we in this position where any public figure can say the n-word, there's a fiery op-ed about it in The Atlantic, and then such and such gives a half-assed "sorry if you were offended" apology and everyone moves on? It's easy to say "Because America" but this wasn't our modus operandi in these situations just like 5 years ago.

NoName999

Because ever the previous president said "if I had a son, he would look like Trayvon" White America lost its collective mind

I have a feeling it's related to this:

house_full.gif

That's because Bill Mayer and PewDiePie made mistakes, while Colin and Jemele were being uppity. Big difference.

It was bound to come to a head sooner or later as the GOP, rural America, and the republican voting population continued to normalize crazy fucking kooks by embracing them into the political system.

Because ever the previous president said "if I had a son, he would look like Trayvon" White America lost its collective mind

I suspect that's probably a big part of it. His presidency in general, really. I think white people thought electing a black president meant racism is over and weren't prepared for the reality that it allowed an opportunity to finally start the hard work toward eliminating racism. They wanted a magic potion and were upset when they didn't get it.

Tbf, PDP is a Swede based in England.

True, and I don't want to litigate that particular debate again, but nonetheless I feel that the response from his US audience was overly forgiving.

joe2187

Banned
Because white people like to excuse themselves for their mistakes, and only their opinion matters. Non whites are apparently representatives of their entire race, and cannot be excused because their drug dealers, rapists, thugs, and bad hombres

wow, you can easily see the Republicans start marching to the right after the rise of conservative media, and the big jump during the obama administration

I have a pet theory that the rightward shift of the GOP is pretty much directly correlated to shifting demographics (the decline of white majority, specifically). I think we're also seeing more overt appeals to white identity within the party as well (See: Kid Rock for Senate). I shudder to think what the political climate is going to be like around 2045 or so when the country is 50% white and 50% non-white.

SheSaidNo

However, I recall figures like Don Imus with his "nappy headed hos" comment and Don Sterling with his racist fiasco suffering a huge fallout for their remarks.

I think the main difference is the "intention". You could argue Maher was not being racist (in a sense that he had negative intentions behind the word). While I don't agree with that, there's enough there to argue. Other liberal people have been getting away with it for awhile as well, like Louie C.K (actually a lot of "liberal" comedians think they should be able to say that word)

Here's Louie not too long ago saying it on HBO as well: https://youtu.be/OKY6BGcx37k?t=15m24s

Is there any kind of empirical data that can be used to support the "feeling" that there's a shift?

It'd be hard to measure that, I guess, especially since there's probably exponentially more public discourse now than in the past.

Jeels

I have a pet theory that the rightward shift of the GOP is pretty much directly correlated to shifting demographics (the decline of white majority, specifically). I think we're also seeing more overt appeals to white identity within the party as well (See: Kid Rock for Senate). I shudder to think what the political climate is going to be like around 2045 or so when the country is 50% white and 50% non-white.

I'd imagine if the country is only 50% white Republicans would never win an election with their current politics.

We won't get rid of white supremacists if we never know who they are.

I say this as a straight white man and I do not mean to gloss over or minimize the very real discrimination that basically everyone else encounters on a daily basis. I'm just trying to see some silver lining here.

Ogodei

The insecurity only went up after Ferguson. Racism spikes in America when white america is forced to confront its racism. Its like cauterizing a wound, have to make it hurt more to start the healing process.

Is there any kind of empirical data that can be used to support the "feeling" that there's a shift?

It'd be hard to measure that, I guess, especially since there's probably exponentially more public discourse now than in the past.

I'm not sure if there's any hard evidence. I do think platforms like Youtube create an issue, though, where the contributors are more like independent contractors that aren't representing the platform that hosts them. Youtube, and any other similar services like Twitch, seem to dissolve that connection between the content and the content provider. It's easy for Youtube to say Pewdiepie doesn't represent them and thus keep his channel around in a way that you can't as easily say about Bill Maher and HBO (although it didn't ultimately matter in that case) or some news broadcaster and the channel they work for.

TalonJH

I blame a lot of it on the whole anti-PC movement. White supremacists created the narrative and a lot of moderates jumped on board not realizing it wasn't an honest argument/movement. It normalized a lot of arguments an language giving people more leaway to be bigoted while moderates gave them the benefit of doubt.

I'd imagine if the country is only 50% white Republicans would never win an election with their current politics.

You might be right. Their current tactics might hit a breaking point before then, but I think there is most certainly going to be a point where the GOP has a pretty openly white-nationalist faction, just as the democrats in the 60's had the dixiecrats who were, in many ways, ideologically separate from the rest of the party as a matter of their unwavering adherence to things like segregation.

I think the main difference is the "intention". You could argue Maher was not being racist (in a sense that he had negative intentions behind the word). While I don't agree with that, there's enough there to argue. Other liberal people have been getting away with it for awhile as well, like Louie C.K (actually a lot of "liberal" comedians think they should be able to say that word)

There's a pretty big difference between how/when Louie C.K. uses it, not to mention the overall differences in the politics they put forth. I'm much more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt than Maher

Cartman86

Banned
Does PewdiePie have a job anymore? Didn't his partnership with Disney/Maker get cancelled due to the Nazi stuff? He's self employed again right?

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Because white people like to excuse themselves for their mistakes, and only their opinion matters. Non whites are apparently representatives of their entire race, and cannot be excused because their drug dealers, rapists, thugs, and bad hombres

Spoken as a white man: yep. Absolutely true about how white people see themselves. I hate it.

There are other players who have protested since Kaepernick who are not in aerious danger of losing their jobs. Kaepernick himself was given an entire additional season to prove himself, maybe he isnt tge worst QB but he also isnt very good. He wasnt able to be an asset and annoyed his bosses when he lacked leverage. Whether you like them or not, maher has some leverage with his show being fairly popular, as does PDP with his massive built in fanbase.

This isnt a defense by the way, I would be fine with PDP and maybe even Maher getting punished harsher. I lost some respect for him even before that incident with Milo.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Basically:
V57xtaz.gif

kvothe

What do you mean there were very little repercussions around the Pewdiepie thing? There was a huge negative backlash after that to the extent that he came out and apologized. What was supposed to happen?

What do you mean there were very little repercussions around the Pewdiepie thing? There was a huge negative backlash after that to the extent that he came out and apologized. What was supposed to happen?

Yes, he "apologized" but still says nigger periodically and still makes a lot of money doing so.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
If the PUBG devs are gonna ban a streamer for something as benign as this they should absolutely ban PDP for yelling the n-word on stream when it's literally the FIRST thing on their terms of service.

Do not use any discriminatory language, including but not limited to any language regarding ethnicity, nationality, race, gender, religion, sexual preference or personal beliefs.

hbkdx12

I've legitimately wondered if things like this are because of the fact that the black consciousness/existence has swelled over the past few years with the killings of Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice, Eric Garner, Philando Castile and the countless others where black people are consciously bringing light to the demonstrably gratuitous and undeniable atrocities that a white supremacist society inflicts on us.

So as a pushback, those same powers that be refuse to be admonished for the part that they play for fear that if they take responsibility for one thing, then that that just opens the floodgate for all the other equally racist shit they'd have to own up to. So instead people walk free, gets slaps on the wrist and those actions become normalized where suddenly saying "what a fucking nigger" in an unprovoked and aggressive manner while playing an online video game can suddenly just be a "slip-up" that somehow doesn't make you racist

TL;DR - We out here collecting a shit ton of receipts and racists ain't trying to see none of them.

kvothe

Yes, he "apologized" but still says nigger periodically and still makes a lot of money doing so.

Not saying his apology was worth a damn, just that there was a reaction big enough that he made a public apology. It wasn't something that everyone just ignored.

Maybe YouTube removes him from their platform?

They could've, but does the fact that they didn't represent a "shift"? Is YouTube previously known for removing content creators from their platform?

If the PUBG devs are gonna ban a streamer for something as benign as this they should absolutely ban PDP for yelling the n-word on stream when it's literally the FIRST thing on their terms of service.

Yeah, you're right here. He should've been banned from the game plain and simple.

Top Bottom