• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. Does anyone have any opinion on Monster? I've not seen it, and we wouldn't be able to watch all of it, but are the first 4ish episodes engaging and creepy enough?

Also, I liked the second season of Kagewani...

Line_HTX

Well, I know what hooked me into the series when I was just a teen was Ginji's backstory, the Limitless Fortress stuff and the shonen battle atmosphere. It was never a massive favorite of mine, but I recall really enjoying all 49 episodes, least I think I watched the whole thing. Trying to rewatch it again has not gone well, and I honestly struggle to really see what I saw in it as a kid.

Most of everyone's powers are a bit silly, you're right that it doesn't feel all that unique. Ban's Jagan or whatever is cool, but often ends up doing the exact same thing over and over again, and gets incredibly predictable. Like, the moment something funky happens you know he used it and you're just waiting until the series decides to go "got ya!"

I was looking over the critical reception on Wikipedia and it's really striking to see what was praised back then, and gives this impression that Western Anime Reviewers were just sort of happy we got anything. Like, Fan Service is a praise worthy element, which would totally not be a selling point (critically in this day and age). Also there's praise for the anime's animation, which, is, uh, I don't think particularly amazing one way or the other.

The criticisms amount to mostly "not enough DVD extras." o_O or "Sinott concluded that the story arc involving the Limitless Fortress was "a good story" due to the expansion in the backgrounds from various of the main characters, but found it relatively longer than previous story arcs." Which is more a statement of fact than anything resembling criticism.

I see, so basically this was a repetitive shounen that happened to be localized early enough where people were just content to even get something at the time. I'm guessing if they tried to sell the show or premise in 2017 people would not even bat an eye and brush it off. After reading the 1st volume I was really not motivated to start watching the show because it got kind of repetitive and nothing was screaming holy shit, that was so cool. Also this sounds like one of those where you probably enjoyed it a ton years ago, but if you tried watching it again you'd get bored to death because it has not aged well.

I see, so basically this was a repetitive shounen that happened to be localized early enough where people were just content to even get something at the time. I'm guessing if they tried to sell the show or premise in 2017 people would not even bat an eye and brush it off. After reading the 1st volume I was really not motivated to start watching the show because it got kind of repetitive and nothing was screaming holy shit, that was so cool. Also this sounds like one of those where you probably enjoyed it a ton years ago, but if you tried watching it again you'd get bored to death because it has not aged well.

I think that's definitely part of it, especially if the wikipedia critical reception section is taken at face value. Though, I mean, it took off well enough in Japan to get 49 episodes. Rewatching it again I'm hesitant to say it's all bland or bad. There's some really cool concepts with the Limitless Fortress, the world building within that area, etc. Like, there's the makings of a potentially interesting concept, it just gets bogged down in repetitive use of the Jagan (Ban's ability to make people live through illusions) or poison perfume girl and other weird, half-baked ideas.

I know the anime doesn't adapt the whole manga, so I kind of wonder if maybe the manga garnered success from later content the anime didn't fully adapt? But yeah, I doubt GetBackers would light the world on fire if it aired today.

Ascheroth

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. Does anyone have any opinion on Monster? I've not seen it, and we wouldn't be able to watch all of it, but are the first 4ish episodes engaging and creepy enough?

I forgot, the first half of Shiki is pretty creepy. The other half is also disturbing.

Thud

It's a thriller with a bit of supernatural stuff in it.

If you're just wanna watch horror, you should find something else. Like the first four eps of Higurashi.

casiopao

Shiki is the kind of horror anime that you can only watch with people ok when some brutal horror violence. Wew those bonus episodes.

Ehh? I don't find those things so scary that i need some to stay with me during the show lol.

........i actually had hard time remembering any single anime that i would prefer watching together with friends due to fear lol.

Yeah, how can anyone prefer storylines and characters with more than just a gimmick?

Lol. I kinda joking here.^^ But gimmick for CG character? Through drama CD and many Radio event, i would even said that CG character had develop much much more than ML character there.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Honestly, if me, Kirb, Madp, and Hosanna can't get any of you to watch Majin Bone, who or what can?

Don't think I've made an active effort to convince anyone to watch Majin Bone because I've never actually written more than, like, two sentences on it in spite of thinking it's a masterpiece. lol twitter brain :(

Squishy3

Ehh? I don't find those things so scary that i need some to stay with me during the show lol.

........i actually had hard time remembering any single anime that i would prefer watching together with friends due to fear lol.
I think he means if you're going to watch it with other people they need to be able to stomach that kind of thing.

Szadek

Monster is awesome and the villain alone makes it a must watch.
Although, it's more of a thriller than a horror series, but it's certainly engaging right from the start.

If you are looking for horror anime, you should check out Shiki and Higurashi, but the fomer is a very slow burn.

casiopao

I think he means if you're going to watch it with other people they need to be able to stomach that kind of thing.

Ahh. lol. I read it wrongly lol.O_O

If that, i agree. Some of the killing scene is a bit too brutal i agree. Some weak hearted would get triggered lol.

This makes me remember of Genocyber lol. That one is also damn brutal.O_O

guava_tin

Neo Member
I'm gonna do it this week. It's happening. I'm finally watching IdolM@ster.

Love Live S1 is the only experience I've had with Idol anime so I'm excited.

Lotta best girls aswell it seems!

MSMrRound

Symphogear AXZ 10

Man, the battle duet between Hibiki (Yuuki Aoi) and Kirika (Kayano Ai) is so fire

RADIO PREVIEW WHEN. Contains clip from the episode itself, be mindful of spoilers

Really wasn't expecting that since they aren't so accomplished as singers compared to the likes of Nana Mizuki and Nanjo, at least experience wise.

Hella great of an episode, especially with that climax bit at the end which I shall not go into cuz...

Wished this could have been the episode that played before we had that two weeks break so that the meltdown could have been more glorious to witness.

John Blade

I guess the only horror movie I do remember watching is Le Portrait de Petit Cossette which is actually interesting to watch even though I don't tend to watch too much horror anime.

Le-Portrait-de-Petit-Cossette-image-le-portrait-de-petit-cossette-36290006-500-281.gif

phaze

The Many Sufferings of Sarada Uchiha

- Her mother destroys her house.
- Her father she doesn't even remember cause he hasn't been around for a dozen of years at least tries to kill her.
-Her mother turns out to not be her mother.

It's a wonder she didn't gain Mangekyo right off the bat. lol And a shame that such top tier comedic material doesn't get a proper treatment.

Wut ? Isn't he like the boss of yours Yamato ? He can order you to do anything.

I wonder how many bodies Orochimaru went through since the end of war, with tacit approval from Naruto&rest. Truly it's a hard gained peace.

My Girlfriend is a Gal - 10

Honestly, it was a pretty heartwarming ending and I'm happy for them. They are cute together. Glad that shithead got his ass kicked :).

Classroom of the Elite - 10

What the fuck was the point of this episode? I mean it literally led to nothing other than showing us how much of a dick the Class C guy STILL is.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't understand why Naruto would even consider letting Orochimaru live given that he could obviously just kill Orochimaru at any point that he got bored.

Maybe he doesn't have to kill people to live anymore given that he came back to life via insane deus ex shenanigans.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sakura Quest Episode 24:

I am honestly not sure how I am supposed to take the impending absorption of the town into a larger municipality, it makes logical sense I suppose but it seems the overriding important is that of the local culture.

phaze

I don't understand why Naruto would even consider letting Orochimaru live given that he could obviously just kill Orochimaru at any point that he got bored.

Maybe he doesn't have to kill people to live anymore given that he came back to life via insane deus ex shenanigans.

1444743171786s1vq1j.jpg
Maybe the pic happened and surely that's enough !

And Naruto he never did kill anyone if I'm not mistaken.

-----

Youkoso has been in zzzzzzz mode for two eps now, this isn't what I signed up for. I guess the twist might be that Class C is still in the competition and tearing other groups from inside.

Puruzi

Banned
"All the FranXX have two pilots. The girl doesn't exactly turn into the robot. She connects herself to the robot and becomes its consciousness. She feels everything the robot feels. The guy has a typical pilot role. Together they control the FranXX. While the pilot role can be of any gender, the consciousness must always be female."

Hurting incoming

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
1444743171786s1vq1j.jpg
Maybe the pic happened and surely that's enough !

And Naruto he never did kill anyone if I'm not mistaken.

-----

Youkouso has been in zzzzzzz mode for two eps now, this isn't what I signed up for. I guess the twist might be that Class C is still in the competition and tearing other groups from inside.

I mean, Sasuke could easily kill Orochimaru also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom