• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is going to be bigger: Destiny 2, Star Wars Battlefront 2 or COD: WW2?

geordiemp

I feel like the only reason Destiny sold so well is because 2014 was such a dry year. I remember people were waiting for that one game this gen to live up to the hype only to be disappointed. Titanfall, Watch Dogs, and Destiny. It is the reason these games have sequels because they sold well. Today, we are not in a dry season anymore, but that doesn't mean Destiny 2 won't sell well. I just don't see it beating WWII.

New players have been picking up destiny all the time while old players stopped...

Destiny 2 has the opportunity to drag them all in, BUT it needs PVP dedicated servers and low lag to compete with COD that has a massive multiplayer following and nothing touches COD fast responsive action ......YET.

M0G

As a PC gamer it's Destiny all the way. Would have played so much more the first time if I hadn't been restricted to consoles (FPS for me is always first and foremost a PC thing and I play whatever systems I can get a hold on). Battlefront was a horrible disapointment for me as I expected a Star Wars Battlefield game or hoped for one at the very least. I haven't known a CoD player in at least three years or more but I only play with people I know IRL.

What my perspective is and what will probably happen are two completely different things though. So probably CoD(meh)>BF2>D2. The Star Wars machine is gonna kick in and hell I hope they make a game worth the attention it'll get. Still don't know how CoD manages to hit the numbers it does, I mean WTF.

Swarna

Consoles/overall: CoD>D2>SWBF2

PC-only: D2>random new game>>>>>>>>>>CoD>SWBF2

Quality-wise, I don't know. Hard to pick when I don't like any of their predecessors.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Battlefront...I hope....in reality COD

I flat out don't like Destiny its everything I don't care about in shooter games wrapped up in a bow
...bleh people should buy Battlefront this time around! DO ITTTTT

As a sales luddite, I'd want to say CoD, but the downward trend of it plus the apathy a lot of people have for the WW2 take has me leaning towards Destiny 2 a bit. Kind of depends on how the gameplay of Destiny 2 looks next month though. Even with people who felt burned from the first, I think if they fix a lot of the problems they'll even get those people back. It's also hard to say because there's a generation of CoD players who've never played anything but modern or future CoDs and they might be all for the change.

jdstorm

Banned
Destiny or Star Wars have the highest potential. CoD will do CoD numbers.

Ultimately it will depend on how good the singleplayer is in Star Wars and if Bungie could write a narative compelling enough to get people to jump back in for a sequel.

MrS

Banned
D2

GOTY comin'

Battlefront 2 won't even be in the conversation because it'll be Baby's First Multiplayer gameplay like the first Battlefront and a shit campaign like Battlefield 1.

lol who the fuck is saying Destiny over Call of Duty? I love Destiny and that's the only of the three games I'll play but it's Call of Duty. It's always been Call of Duty.

TheXbox

How does CoD not bag this? Infinite Warfare was the most detested CoD game in years and it still beat... literally everything else.

loki 16

Sales: Probably COD. It depends how well Destiny performs on PC.

Destiny 2 is the only game I'm interested in.

Call of Duty was basically a punching bag last year, yet Infinite Warfare still ended up being the best selling game in the US and the second best selling game in the UK (only trailing FIFA). And on top of that, Black Ops 3 was the 8th best selling game in the US and the 7th best selling game in the UK. Now this years CoD game has been receiving a ton of positive press as well as getting people excited about it that haven't been interested in the franchise in years. So, where's the opening for Destiny or Battlefront to outsell it?

ethomaz

Banned
We need to define some rules...

A) Best selling in 2017? Definitely CoD.

B) Best selling game? Probably Destiny 2.

woahitsshant

Neo Member
The answer is most definitely going to be Call of Duty. Infinite Warfare was the best selling game of 2016 despite the shit show reception. Call of Duty: WWII has had what seems like a stellar reception, so I expect that to only bolster sales.

I say, Call of Duty > Destiny 2 > Battlefront 2

Kusagari

Battlefront will easily be last.

Destiny could beat CoD if it explodes on PC. All depends on that PC version doing work or not.

Sales wise, COD will probably do the business as usual, especially now they have moved away from the future stuff, which fans wanted.

Destiny will be 2nd and then Battlefront but I'm sure all 3 games will do very well.

Pizza

Battlefront 2 will be the biggest

For me this is the answer. I'm not a cod guy and destiny 1 never convinced me to buy it

I really like Battlefront 1 as is and all the improvements they've discussed so far sound like positives in my book.

Also the campaign has a prequel book that ties into Rogue One, my favorite Star War. So yeah for me BF2 is the game of 2017 rn

Ushay

We need to define some rules...

A) Best selling in 2017? Definitely CoD.

B) Best selling game? Probably Destiny 2.

Yup that's sound reasoning. Destiny 2 will pull ahead in lifetime sales, comfortably too. The game will have more than enough content to keep it steaming ahead.

Destiny 2 providing the PC version does well.

Destiny 1 should be somewhere around 15-20 million sold. I suspect D2 outsells D1 and I don't think BF2 is going to outsell BF1. COD should do 20 million range so between that and Destiny it will be close

Ascenion

Y'all really think the boots on ground CoD that everyone has been begging for, with a return to old school OG WW2 is gonna get outsold by Destiny 2? 😂😂😂. It will be CoD and it won't even be close. Destiny might beat it over the next 3 years but in 2017 CoD is king.

Y'all really think the boots on ground CoD that everyone has been begging for, with a return to old school OG WW2 is gonna get outsold by Destiny 2? 😂😂😂. It will be CoD and it won't even be close. Destiny might beat it over the next 3 years but in 2017 CoD is king.

Destiny will also have a full month and a half of sales in 2017 that COD will not have as well as I anticipate PC Destiny being much stronger than PC COD.

It will be close between the 2.

In reality probably CoD > Destiny > Battlefront

I hope for Destiny to outsell everything though. It's definitely the first I'll be buying of the three.

I assume since you said "of the year" you only mean the holidays right? Not lifetime?

If so, then CoD (no contest) > Battlefront 2 > Destiny 2

I think BF2 will sell more than Destiny this year because of Star Wars hype. I expect it will be a lot more front-loaded than Destiny, which will see more success in the long run.

Eh. You say that, but sales are against you. The fact is the majority of Cod players didn't play the WW2 games. Cod didn't explode until Modern Warfare 2.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
GAF is so wrong at times it's disgusting..

Obviously COD is going to sell more by a large margin..

Destiny has gone through 44 OTs here on GAF. By comparison, this year's CoD is only on page 61 on it's first OT and hasn't even been moved to the community section yet.

I mean, what do you expect?

Top Bottom