• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RegionThree Released For All Non-New 3DS Models - No Game Or Flashcard Required!

Ogawa-san

Just thought I would give a quick warning to those. Don't import the N3DS for the *Chance* or the *Hope* that this will work in the near Future. This relies on a Browser based Exploit that doesn't work on the N3DS. It COULD one day work with the N3DS but it sure as hell won't be soon or near any foreseeable future.
There's another (similar?) exploit working on the N3DS, it's known that Gateway used it to make it work but they haven't released it yet.

In any case, I still wouldn't import anything based on it. It'll be patched for sure within a month, then while you wait for whatever hack comes next you'll either have carts you can't use or a 3DS that can't go online - not that I care about multiplayer, but it means no patches or DLC.

I was hoping someone would start playing seriously with CFW for a "less temporary" solution. But Smealum won't even port this to the N3DS so I take he's not interested, and Gateway is interested in selling cards, so...

Anybody actually know where to get US games in Europe? I mean this is great an all, but I don't know where to get the imports without costing an arm and a leg.

Zhao_Yun

Anybody actually know where to get US games in Europe? I mean this is great an all, but I don't know where to get the imports without costing an arm and a leg.

I am importing my games from videogameplus which is Canada-based. One new 3DS game normally costs 40$ with 7,50$ shipping which is equivalent to 33€. Shipping can take up to 2 weeks though.

I just tried this hack with my US 3DS and ma EU copy of Fire Emblem Awakening and it works! :D Feels good to circumvent Nintendo's region-lock.
btw: is it true that the Japanese version of Ace Attorney 1-3 includes English text?

jimi_dini

But games from other regions will show up. This could be a clue for Nintendo that an exploit was used.

I'm not exactly sure what their policy is in this case. For homebrew channel (without any IOS modifications), which is a software modification, their policy is to not repair such a console and send it back the the customer. Uninstalling won't change that, because they can see the logs.

jimi_dini

No it doesn't. The Conan game doesn't show up in the activity log.

Wait, so imported games that are started using this exploit won't show up in the activity log?

Still even if that's the case, noone truly knows if there is another internal log somewhere. Wii for example has several.

Rich!

Im curious. According to term of use, is this method legal or not ?

Of course it is.

Also, the EULA means jack shit in the majority of the world.

Also, enabling region free wont sent the FBI to your door, nor the Nintendo Ninjas.

jimi_dini

Im curious. According to term of use, is this method legal or not ?

I guess it depends on the country.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/info/en_na/docs.jsp

The Software is licensed, not sold, to you solely for your personal, noncommercial use on your Nintendo 3DS. You may not publish, copy, modify, reverse engineer, lease, rent, decompile, or disassemble any portion of the Software, or bypass, modify, defeat, tamper with, or circumvent any of the functions or protections of your Nintendo 3DS, unless otherwise permitted by law.

I guess this isn't really the question. The question is if Nintendo will be able to detect this in a way (and I would say yes they can) and if they will repair such systems. They can simply deny that based on the modifications. They are doing exactly this for Wii.

Damn , that's such a GREAT NEWS ..i can now IMPORT stuff ... no more waiting hell from us , européeans

This is like ...the best news ever

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Awesome. I made the mistake of updating my old model, since it would be a perfect homebrew machine since I've wiped it, so I'm happy to see this works even for the latest firmware version.

Now I just need an imported game to test it with.

Does this also mean DSi enhanced games (i.e. DS region locked) games work?

Zhao_Yun

I guess the only downside is that you can't run it on the go without internet access. Solution would be to start the game at home and to put the 3ds into sleep mode.

wsippel

Banned
I guess it depends on the country.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/info/en_na/docs.jsp

I guess this isn't really the question. The question is if Nintendo will be able to detect this in a way (and I would say yes they can) and if they will repair such systems. They can simply deny that based on the modifications. They are doing exactly this for Wii.
That's not a law, that's Nintendo's software license agreement. Breaking said agreement is not illegal.

Rich!

I guess the only downside is that you can't run it on the go without internet access. Solution would be to start the game at home and to put the 3ds into sleep mode.

Actually, no. Theres an android app that works as the payload site and can connect to your 3DS.

rjc571

Banned
Cool, it works! Got EX Troopers running on my US system now. This isn't that useful for me since I can always use my Japanese 3DS, but great for anybody who wanted to use region free without importing a console. Hopefully it can be modified to allow homebrew soon, so I can go on the eShop without losing SNES emulation.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Hope this stays up long enough so that I can system transfer to the New 3DS and then use my old 3DS as a region free machine.

Also I guess I can get rid of Cubic Ninja now as all I cared about was Region Free

JimPanzer

btw. is is possible to swap savegames? for example: saves from a US 3ds to an EU 3ds with regionthree running the US copy of the game?

Doczu

Well thank you very much for rhis fantastic news. Let me salute my middle finger to Nintendo while i click buy on amazon and import code of princess, SMT IV and Rune Factory. Come at me Nintendo, i'm above the regions again, like all these generations before!

Dambrosi

Banned
Oh, so now there's a reason to keep my old 3DS after I transfer all my stuff from it to my New 3DS? Coolness.

About bloody time, too. Homebrewers always win, you'd think companies would have learned by now.

Despera

Banned
Well thank you very much for rhis fantastic news. Let me salute my middle finger to Nintendo while i click buy on amazon and import code of princess, SMT IV and Rune Factory. Come at me Nintendo, i'm above the regions again, like all these generations before!
SMT IV is already available since October last year though.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I'm in NA , can i use this to play ace attorney investigations 2? Is there an English translation, or only the fan translation ?

Top Bottom