• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom for Wii U (Big Red Button, CryEngine 3) & 3DS (Sanzaru), new subseries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hex

Banned
Well, SEGA seems to have taken care of number three in their deal with Nintendo.
I do not judge from a trailer like this.

Sonic 1 was literally the video game that got me into gaming, and made me actually want to own my own gaming console. So to see this new design be so...putrid, is pretty depressing. I mean, Mario still has his classic look, even if they change up the gameplay. What's the point of this? I feel nauseous.

ffdgh

iNof7r3.jpg
I'm ok with this.

Kinsei

Banned
Character art from the blog post linked earlier in the topic, just in case people don't read it.

I like Tails and Amy but don't like Sonic and hate Knuckles (Just like everyone else.)

The gameplay looks like it could be fun. I hope we get some raw gameplay footage from the event.

Effect

I really want to see a full gameplay trailer. Character models aside, where Knuckles really is the only big questionable one, I like what I see so far. It isn't a pure platformer from the looks of things. Guess what people. That's actually okay.

CryEngine 3 textures.
SONIC-BOOM-VIDEO-GAME---02-Road_1_1391691295.jpg

Tails apparently doesn't trust Knuckles at all.

Ragnarok

at least nobody has to deal with the sonic cycle this time; this game does nothing to inspire hope. I fully expect it to be terrible.

I hate new Knuckles, not sold on new Tails, and like both Amy & Sonic (though Sonic's scarf has got to go, as does everyone's tape)

The music gives me a bad feeling this will be some watered down kids game, but then again seeing as they're tying it into the cartoon that's not surprising.

But you know what? There's something about that trailer that's got me cautiously optimistic. I can't quite put my finger on it - maybe the fact that it's four players again, or the emphasis on exploration. I don't know, but I'm actually looking forward to hearing more about this.

oxidax

FRIENDLY COMMENT.

I thought the Wii U couldn't handle CryEngine 3? im confused now.. does that mean the Wii U is a capable machine then?

Joqu

Oh god I said could stand those designs leaked earlier but these in-game models are absolutely horrid. I'm so sorry

StevieP

Banned
What other Wii U games run CE3? And it's not just the art direction. There's a tremendous lack of texture detail (despite going for a quasi-realistic look), geometry, and shaders.

Lots of testing was done on CE3 in year 1. The Wii U is not a powerhouse machine in any respect, and in order to achieve a smooth target framerate (for example, if BRB is going for 60) there has to be sacrifices. These are also early shots, and as per standard developer fare, they are also touched up.

As you can attest by Lost World, competent art direction results in competent results, even on Wii U.

oxidax said:
FRIENDLY COMMENT.

I thought the Wii U couldn't handle CryEngine 3? im confused now.. does that mean the Wii U is a capable machine then?

CE3 was running on Wii U prior to launch. It was going to get a port of Crysis 3 before EA nixed it. Running an engine doesn't make the console more or less powerful. The discussions surrounding Frostbite & UE4 really messed some of you guys up, eh?

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Visuals need work, but I like the sprawling environments. I'm cautiously optimistic about the gameplay because it looked pretty good in the trailer.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Knuckles is on HGH, Tails seems to have a lazer gun and skrillex on the trailers soundtrack.

It's like they are trying to prevent the Sonic Cycle from starting and jumping right to the crappy parts.

Nibel

Not sure if this was mentioned yet

- Sega of America and Ouido are producing a Sonic Boom TV show that will be shown on Cartoon Network: 52 episodes, each 11 minutes long
- LOTS of merchandise coming: Action figurines, puppets, RC vehicles, clothing, books, magazines, accessoires and even food (!)

First look of the TV show

iamvin22

Industry Verified
this is probably what EPIC meant when they said to just use cryengine 2 for wii u games. that trailer looked terrible.

Son Of D

FRIENDLY COMMENT.

Crysis 3 was running (and planned to be released) on Wii U, but it never got released due to the EA/Nintendo situation.

Toning down Eggman's stache and red nose is like Paon's King K.Rool redesign for me all over again, still retains the old design staples but why make him look more normal?

sonto340

Characters sound the same but look like deformed knockoffs. And then there's the crappy kids show writing it that's to be expected.

Seems no more kids writing than Colors or Generations. The Sonic series has been working its way to where it's at for a long while now.

JonCha

I think it's worthwhile putting in the thread title that this isn't replacing the main series. Lots of people going to be jumping to conclusions.

I... I...

I don't have a reaction to this. Both game and TV show looks hideous. Why SEGA?? Why? It seems that it won't replace the "normal Sonic" at least.

Also, this seems to be the third game from the exclusivity deal. Truly a shame.

Still have to get use to them new character models, otherwise, this looks like the most interesting Sonic title to date.

I like the more open world, exploration approach. Ill still wait and see how it turns out.

Im actually more excited for this, then i was for lost world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom