• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U - Surround Sound Guide and FAQ

StevieP

Banned
All of the Nintendo branded releases are in stereo. LPCM. Is actually uncompressed audio. If anyone remembers the early days of Blu-Ray you'll remember that most of the discs had LPCM as the high-resolution audio format.

Yep, my amp is well versed in how awesome PCM sounds lol. I was just wondering why everything seemed like "stereo" except for the sound test, and your answer explained it.

(I could understand Mario - a 2D platformer... but Nintendo Land too? C'mon guys, it isn't that difficult to mix 5.1 audio. Launch and all that I guess...)

Anyway, what the biggest shame is that my amp upconverts any 5.1 content (PCM or otherwise) to 7.1 using PLIIx, so I was expecting a bigger sound field.

I saw "PCM + DPLIIx" on the display and expected it to sound less front loaded lol. Am I correct to assume my amp would upconvert a 2.0 PCM into 7.1 via DPL IIx if I switched the Wii U into stereo?

Then again, it's only Nintendo's games that are front loaded, right? The rest of the launch stuff is probably OK. If anyone wants to comment on that I would appreciate it. I'll be picking up more games once there are more non-PC titles available (and Zombi U uses dual-analog for gun play so that's a no go).

netBuff

Binaural Stereo and headphones is the only way to have real surround

This is pretty much why headphone users like me are unhappy with the lack of an optical out and DD5.1 support: Dolby Headphone solutions like the Astro Mixamp all utilize a TOSLINK port to get multichannel audio.

The only other option with the Wii U is a receiver that has virtual surround support for its headphone port - Marantz (Dolby Headphone) and Yamaha (Silent Cinema) receivers do have this feature. Unfortunately, AV receivers typically have pretty bad headphone ports that are unsuitable for high-impedance phones, and adding a headphone amp might further decrease quality (haven't tested myself whether such a setup is suitable for daily use).

Nice thread OP.

How about using LPCM to Dolby Digital converter boxes such as http://www.ambery.com/2hddodtsdihd.html ?

Then again these converters are usually over $100.

I've been also looking at those, as a new-receiver alternative. (Edit: something that will happen sooner or later - just not now)

The problem is that if I get a new receiver I'll have to get a new sub as well, keeping my satellites - for now. (part of a HTiB)

That will cost me def. more than I can handle at the moment. (~150)

I don't understand how these would work.

They say they'll accept a LCPM input over HDMI, and out can convert it to the newer HD audio formats. then Bitstream that over optical.

However, I didn't think that optical had the bandwidth to carry the HD formats, and these can only be sent over HDMI.

Wouldn't using analog connection (highlighted) to the HTiB receiver, output 5.1?

au-hdmicp-diagramhyqig.png

Code:
                      / (analog) HTiB Receiver
WiiU (HDMI)-> Splitter
                      \ (HDMI) TV

Raistlin

There is only one method available to get 5.1 surround from a WiiU:

Connect your WiiU via HDMI to an AV Receiver or HTiB that supports LPCM. Then connect AVR/HTiB to TV/Monitor with HDMI.

Code:
WiiU > HDMI > AV Receiver/HTiB > HDMI > TV/Monitor
                   |
	      5.1 Sound (LPCM only)

Any other methods will either result in plain stereo (with no Pro Logic II) or silence.

Actually that isn't the only method ... but yeah it's certainly the most common setup you'd see in most peoples' homes.

Raistlin

No and No. This is all about Nintendo being cheap with licensing fees.
I imagine part of it is also them not wanting to waste CPU cycles.

Of course one could argue that's due to Nintendo being cheap on the CPU performance.

I can't imagine that's correct, DPII is just stereo output that the receiver finds surround cues from, right? There would be no hardware limitation preventing games from using DPII based on this assumption.
Your assumption is wrong.

Well sure, DPII can be used on a true stereo track and attempt to BS surround from it ... but that's not what DPL/DPII licensed games were doing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Surround

Dolby Surround is a special encoding method that piggy-backs surround information via matrixing. Essentially it's a stereo encode with extra info hidden away. A traditional stereo receiver doesn't even see the extra info ... it juts plays the stereo track. If the receiver knows what to do with it ... it processes the info to generate new L/R data as well as the extra channels.

When a game is advertised as having DP, it's actively encoding the sound using Dolby Surround.

Raistlin

They should included DPLII at least for compatible Wii games in Wii mode.
That is still there. It's baked into the game.

Though annoyingly you have to turn the settings to stereo because of the problem below.

The issue is this...the menu and other Nintendo brand stereo tracks are actually 5.1...hear me out.

Nintendo had decided to mix silence into the other 4.0 channels. This makes it impossible to pull a PLII track or DTS Neo...it will always be stereo because they mixed the other 4 channels as active....active with nothing.
At least this is something they can fix in a FW update if people bitch enough.

Sony actually had this issue with media playback on PS3 for a while. IIRC it wasn't a problem originally, but in a FW update they somehow did this for certain codec/container types. It was later rectified.

Raistlin

Here's another fun one:

The Amazon Instant Video and Netflix apps stay in LPCM 5.1 if Surround is selected on the Wii U, but there is only stereo audio being streamed. I assume both normally use Dolby Digital, which as we've discussed isn't supported.

I switched the Wii U to stereo and tested the audio on the Amazon Instant Video app though:

I tried Iron Man 2, and it sounds like it is in mono. I'm getting the HD stream, so streaming quality isn't the issue. When ProLogic II is selected, it only plays through the center speaker.

I tried Avatar: The Last Airbender (the cartoon), and it's in stereo and even lets me create a decent sounding surround effect with ProLogic II turned on.

EDIT: I tried Rango to see if it is an issue with HD movies on the Amazon app, and it is working fine with ProLogic II. So I guess it's just an issue with Iron Man 2.

EDIT 2: It doesn't automatically switch to stereo! I changed stuff above to make it accurate. I forgot I had set the Wii U to stereo to test Resident Evil 4! Sorry! It only outputs 2 channel audio if the Wii U is set to surround, but it is still in 5.1 mode.
This was a question i had.

WTF Nintendo >_<

As far as I know, without having to pay for a license Nintendo should be able to bitstream Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, etc. The fact these apps aren't doing it is crazy. This better be something that Nintendo can update via firmware (it would depend on the HDMI Tx being employed) ... or simply an oversight by the app makers.

Raistlin

hoo boy, i hit the jackpot with the receiver i got last year. it supports this LPCM nonsense. i have to check if my receiver is detecting it properly since i was only now that i caught wind of this situation.
LPCM isn't nonsense, and it isn't something new. It's actually the original method of recording and playing back lossless multichannel audio. All receivers that support HDMI audio support it. Lossless encoding/decoding like Dolby True HD and DTS-MA didn't happen until later.

I think every receiver supports PCM, so you're good to go as long as it has HDMI-in. But just to make sure, I checked the manual. And sure enough, it supports PCM audio. To make tripple sure, you could contact Panasonic's customer support and ask if that model supports multi-channel PCM audio.
Yes, all receivers that have HDMI audio processing support PCM.

The only thing you have to consider, and this is a bit of a corner case, is if certain post-processing can utilize LCPM. For example, certain DSP's from a few years do not support Audyssey processing of LPCM (they only handle Dolby True HD and DTS-MA as far as lossless surround goes). The Marantz in my living room is like this - though new models support Audyssey over any input.

Reading stuff like this is so discouraging. Just one of the many reasons why I should maybe wait until next year to get my WiiU.

I picked one up at Best Buy last night and told myself I'd give it a few days before I decided whether or not to keep it.

So is Dolby Digital or any Dolby support able to be patched in for the WiiU? Is that possible?

At the end of the day, I still plan on getting a WiiU and probably loving the hell out of it, I'm just not sure what to do yet and would love some answers from Nintendo on how they plan to solve some issues they have with the WiiU currently.

I guess nintendo doesn't want to pay DOLBY or something.

Hdmi or bust to get 5.1 sound.

People need to buy hdmi receivers to get full sound options from the Wii U.

Foxix Von

I know there's no kind of adapter that could feasibly do the DD converting affordably for Nintendo. Would it be possible for them to use the multi out for analog 5.1 LPCM though? Not coax, but multiple audio analogue outs. My receiver actually, somehow, supports this despite being a lower end model.

Having a lot of trouble getting surround going. I have a Sony HT-DDW995 that supports HDMI audio. The Wii U is sending audio over HDMI, but it won't go into surround. When I select "Surround" in the Wii U system settings, it plays two of the chimes and the rest cut out.

I'm not sure what to do, I've tried everything it seems. If I set the Wii U to "surround" and play ZombiU, it just leaves out the channels instead of sending them to speakers. I'm really confused because my 360 & PS3 do surround just fine via HDMI.

Anyone experienced enough to help?

Why not get a PC 2.1 speakers? They do the job and even more.

The lowest Bose music companion got a lot of ports for PC and TVs alike. Yeah yeah, Bose is shit or so the internet say but it's convenient for your situation, no?

Any other brand you could recommend? Are there 2.1 PC speakers with HDMI or optical in?

dankir

I've read that it actually does 6.1 LPCM.

But I'm not complaining it still sounds fucking glorious on my 7.1 home theater setup. I have the rear channels matrixed to so I get sound out of my 4 rear speakers.

Seriously ZombiU sounds incredible.

And good on Nintendo for making the Wii U game pad speaker half descent.

Having a lot of trouble getting surround going. I have a Sony HT-DDW995 that supports HDMI audio. The Wii U is sending audio over HDMI, but it won't go into surround. When I select "Surround" in the Wii U system settings, it plays two of the chimes and the rest cut out.

I'm not sure what to do, I've tried everything it seems. If I set the Wii U to "surround" and play ZombiU, it just leaves out the channels instead of sending them to speakers. I'm really confused because my 360 & PS3 do surround just fine via HDMI.

Anyone experienced enough to help?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/869792/my-sony-ht-ddw995-review

They're saying your receiver doesn't support 5.1 LPCM.

HDMI I dont think no but Logitech Z906 has 2 optical ports + DD 5.1 and DTS decoding

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers/speaker-system-Z906

EDIT: Ah 2.1 systems... I dont know. I think those dont need digital inputs, better just getting an amp + the speakers you want then

Thanks for the advise^^ Yeah I'm not really in a situation where I can afford/install big speakers as I don't want to upset any neighbours, and it's really enough for me.
I just need some speakers as Samsung really uses some horrible ones in their TVs. (given the small case it's no wonder they sound like shit though)

Can someone here recommend a good 5.1 receiver that would support the Wii U? I'd like to stay around $200 if possible. Right now I've just got the 360/PS3 and Wii U hooked up and I'd love all three to fully utilize the 5.1 aspect of the receiver.

Stewox

Banned
Can we get some receiver recommendations going in this thread? I'm looking for something that has tons of analogue inputs, tons of HDMI inputs, with great audio processing and a good scaler for older sources (like classic gaming consoles). Thoughts? Been considering a Yamaha Aventage RX-A2020 primarily for that HQV Vida, but many have told me to go with a lower-end receiver and simple s-video/component/composite switches for my classic devices.

LPCM is already full quality so any processing should be damaging, but i can see you would want to use it for other stuff and a proper receiver should detect lossless signal and just pass it through.

Wow, that's garbage. Wii U is looking less attractive by the day. My Logitech Z906 setup isn't even old and I can get 5.1 just fine for my 360 and PS3 this way.

Optical out on TV not 5.1ch or more is not Nintendo's fault

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Can someone here recommend a good 5.1 receiver that would support the Wii U? I'd like to stay around $200 if possible. Right now I've just got the 360/PS3 and Wii U hooked up and I'd love all three to fully utilize the 5.1 aspect of the receiver.

You should define what you think is "good"...

Dyne

The original PS3 audio thread guy here (from like 2008, hahah.) All I can say is...

WELCOME TO THE FUTURE

Seriously, it's 2012, anyone who has bought a receiver in the past 6-7 years has had to come to grips with upgrading to HDMI and being "future-proof". That term has now come to fruition. You didn't want to spend the couple hundred extra, and now you're going to pay the price because you were cheap. That's all there is to it.

Assassins Creed III sounds amazing, much better than the PS3 version to my ear. And the Wii U menu music is awesome. It sucks that its not 7.1, but I'll live.

Optical out on TV not 5.1ch or more is not Nintendo's fault
Actually...
You're really, really lucky. That TV only dosen't pass through DD 5.1 audio with ADP, which is very rare.
We wen't over this on the last page. My TV can passthrough a Dolby Digital signal (or decodes it itself? Not sure, since it has a built in Dolby decoder) through the optical audio output into my receiver. I get DD5.1 on my 360 and PS3 this way and it's true DD5.1, not 3D surround or anything like that.

The WiiU doesn't use Dolby Digital so I'm not sure who to blame if not Nintendo.

jimi_dini

I imagine part of it is also them not wanting to waste CPU cycles.

Of course one could argue that's due to Nintendo being cheap on the CPU performance.

Wii U already has a dedicated chip for audio processing. Of course Nintendo went for the cheapest option. It seems one model higher and Dolby Digital on-the-fly encoding would have been possible by using that chip only.

now you're going to pay the price because you were cheap. That's all there is to it.

No. I just saved myself 300EUR including getting ripped off by day-1 game prices. Isn't that great?
And because of this stupid Nintendo decision people are enjoying great good old stereo sound on amazon VoD. But at least it's LPCM stereo. Isn't that the future?

Wouldn't using analog connection (highlighted) to the HTiB receiver, output 5.1?

au-hdmicp-diagramhyqig.png

Yes, that would work. Proper receivers include at least one 5.1 analog in, so doing that is possible. But the ones decoding HDMI LPCM signal to analog audio are around 150$. That's what I will probably buy in a few months/years, when Wii U dropped as much in price (and Nintendo fixed all the other issues). Hell lot of cheaper than buying another quality receiver. I didn't want to go PS4, but who knows.

wait, I have my 360 per HDMI plugged into my TV and a coaxial cable from my TV to my reciever ---> 5.1

So there is no possibility my TV will send the surround to my Reciever?

Over coaxial or optical cable from TV? no. Unless your TV encodes the 5.1 LPCM signal into 5.1 Dolby Digital, but I seriously doubt that and even if it did, you would get huge audio lag. For 360/PS3 it may work, in case you are one of the lucky owners of a TV that will pass through Dolby Digital 5.1. But you need Dolby Digital 5.1 coming from your console to begin with. And Wii U won't do that.

Zero148

wait, I have my 360 per HDMI plugged into my TV and a coaxial cable from my TV to my reciever ---> 5.1

So there is no possibility my TV will send the surround to my Reciever?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
A few weeks ago I picked up an Onkyo TX-NR616. I think that's the model number. Definitely a 616. I have the Wii U, 360, and PS3 all hooked up via HDMI. I think everything's configured properly. It was relatively straightforward.

Edit: And some Energy Take 5.1 speakers for good measure. Finally ditched my lame mid-2000s Panny HTiB.

gdt

Um wow, I had no idea this was an issue.

I do EVERYTHING -> TV -> Audio Out to receiver and get my 5.1 that way. Guess I'm kind of fucked for the WiiU.

Zero148

Over coaxial or optical cable from TV? no. Unless your TV encodes the 5.1 LPCM signal into 5.1 Dolby Digital, but I seriously doubt that and even if it did, you would get huge audio lag. For 360/PS3 it may work, in case you are one of the lucky owners of a TV that will pass through Dolby Digital 5.1. But you need Dolby Digital 5.1 coming from your console to begin with. And Wii U won't do that.

damn, ok then my blueray player must go per HDMI into the TV and per optical into the Reciever or something like that. I don't have a free HDMI slot on the Reciever at the moment

edit:
said and done

Mr. Robot

It is decent enough. I have one couple of models up from this one. It's easy to setup and has nice features but this one lacks some of the features (3D and a 5th HDMI) I needed.

Are you sure it lacks 3D, the description claims that it has 3D pass through, or is that something different?... still, for $150 people without one should take a look.

Sanctuary

I assumed that's what my setup has been doing the entire time and it's worked perfectly, which is why I'm a little upset that this won't work with the WiiU. My TV also apparently has a built in Dolby Digital decoder (check my post above which has a link to the TV model).

My PS3 is set to DD 5.1, DTS 5.1, LPCM 2Ch 44.1 kHz, and LPCM 2Ch 48 kHz. Deselecting DD, DTS and selecting 5.1 LPCM gives me stereo when I boot up Uncharted 3. My original settings have proper DD 5.1.

Try shutting off everything but DTS and play a movie that you know has a DTS track and see what your receiver says. Sometimes Blu-Rays have a DD track that you can't actually select, but it will play if you can't transcode the main track. A Dobly Digital Decoder shouldn't be doing anything at all for DTS since it's not a Dolby format.

Regardless, your tv is an outlier, although it being on a 2009 model makes it seem like it's going to become more common.

MCD

Any other brand you could recommend?

Hmm...I am not a tech/audiophile guy but here is one or two I could recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001S14DYO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RNOHDU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have the second one (smaller, T20) for my Desktop PC and having a bass and treble knob is a GOD SEND. Better than dealing with software equalizers and a big ass subwoofer that just takes my precious work place.

Some others:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038W0NEU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042F3K9W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002TLSTGA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OI2VB8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And you may or may not need this or any other similar adapters:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I23TTE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

LPCM is already full quality so any processing should be damaging, but i can see you would want to use it for other stuff and a proper receiver should detect lossless signal and just pass it through.
My issue was more on the video processing side, not audio. 320x240 sources look pretty bad at 1080p, so I was wondering if anyone had experience with that particular scaler.
A few weeks ago I picked up an Onkyo TX-NR616. I think that's the model number. Definitely a 616. I have the Wii U, 360, and PS3 all hooked up via HDMI. I think everything's configured properly. It was relatively straightforward.

Edit: And some Energy Take 5.1 speakers for good measure. Finally ditched my lame mid-2000s Panny HTiB.
What do you think of the Take 5.1s, Mejilan? I've heard some good things; what made you go with them?

Try shutting off everything but DTS and play a movie that you know has a DTS track and see what your receiver says. Sometimes Blu-Rays have a DD track that you can't actually select, but it will play if you can't transcode the main track. A Dobly Digital Decoder shouldn't be doing anything at all for DTS since it's not a Dolby format.

Regardless, your tv is an outlier, although it being on a 2009 model makes it seem like it's going to become more common.
I was mistaken, I did not have DTS 5.1 selected, just DD 5.1. Did some tests and here's what I got. Everything was done with Blu-rays, not DVDs.

First, with the PS3 connected to the TV via HDMI and the optical cable from the TV going to my Logitech Z906.

-First of all, I need to select Bitstream under BD / DVD - Audio Output Format (HDMI) if I want to get any sort of surround sound on Blu-rays.
-Playing The Dark Knight with DD5.1 selected under Audio Output Settings gets me proper surround as it has a Dolby track. Deselecting DD5.1 and selecting only DTS defaults the sound to stereo, which would make sense.
-Playing Scott Pilgrim, which is DTS, with only DTS selected gets me no sound in the movie, and stereo in the menu. Playing it with DD5.1 gets me stereo in the movie, except for the menu which I guess has a Dolby track? Playing it with both DD5.1 and DTS selected gives me DD5.1 in the menu and no sound in the movie. Using Linear PCM gives me sound no matter what the audio setting, but stereo only.
-No sound in Uncharted 3 if DTS is selected, works properly when DD5.1 selected.

So I can surmise that my TV optical out is not passing through a signal for my Logitech Z906 to decode, but simply decoding the Dolby signals itself. The Logitech Z906 should be able to decode DTS as it says on the specs here.

So I tried plugging the optical cable directly from the PS3 to the Z906:
-Again, surround only works in Bitstream.
-Surround sound works on both The Dark Knight and Scott Pilgrim no matter what settings. DD5.1 with DTS off, vice versa, or both on.

Guess I won't be getting surround on DTS Blu-rays unless I plug the PS3 directly to the receiver. Unfortunately, I don't have an extra cable or an extra input, the other is being used by my PC. Would a splitter work here?

Sorry to hijack the thread. I realize none of this has anything to do with the WiiU and I'm totally boned with that system anyways, but we kind of spawned a mini conversation here.

jimi_dini

I was mistaken, I did not have DTS 5.1 selected, just DD 5.1. Did some tests and here's what I got. Everything was done with Blu-rays, not DVDs.

First, with the PS3 connected to the TV via HDMI and the optical cable from the TV going to my Logitech Z906.

Guess I won't be getting surround on DTS Blu-rays unless I plug the PS3 directly to the receiver. Unfortunately, I don't have an extra cable or an extra input, the other is being used by my PC. Would a splitter work here?

How would a splitter help you? If you don't have another optical input on your receiver? If you had one, you should just directly connect your PS3 via optical to your receiver, giving you DTS. Do you really need optical from TV? If you have a regular Wii connected, you could use analog audio to get DPLII anyway. Maybe you watch TV and need Dolby Digital 5.1 from the TV because of that?

If you really need optical from your TV (besides PS3), then I would propose that you get a optical cable SWITCH. That would allow you to connect more optical cable sources to your receiver. Those are really cheap just like optical cables nowadays. Just connect TV + PS3 both via optical cable to the switch. Then from the switch to your receiver. Voila, should work.

How would a splitter help you? If you don't have another optical input on your receiver? If you had one, you should just directly connect your PS3 via optical to your receiver, giving you DTS. Do you really need optical from TV? If you have a regular Wii connected, you could use analog audio to get DPLII anyway. Maybe you watch TV and need Dolby Digital 5.1 from the TV because of that?

If you really need optical from your TV (besides PS3), then I would propose that you get a optical cable SWITCH. That would allow you to connect more optical cable sources to your receiver. Those are really cheap just like optical cables nowadays. Just connect TV + PS3 both via optical cable to the switch. Then from the switch to your receiver. Voila, should work.
Switch is what I meant. I'm looking up all this stuff and learning the jargon as I go so forgive me.

I have 2 optical inputs on my receiver and right now they're both being used. 1 for the TV which includes Wii, 360 and PS3 giving Dolby 5.1 for the HD twins in one convenient cable, and the other is for my PC when i want to watch or play stuff away from the desk. So I guess I would need a switch and an extra cable if I really want to setup DTS on the PS3.

jimi_dini

Switch is what I meant. I'm looking up all this stuff and learning the jargon as I go so forgive me.

No problem mate.

So I guess I would need a switch and an extra cable if I really want to setup DTS on the PS3.

2 extra optical cables and one switch. That should do it. DTS especially fullbitrate DTS >>> Dolby Digital. If you watch BluRays or DVDs, it should definitely be worth it.

Turrican3

BTW, are we sure about the 'no PLII'? I guess it requires extra processing to put the surround info into the stereo stream - was that built into the system in Wii or did games do it in software?
I'd like to know about this, too.

Anyone?
(yes I've read a reply by Raistlin a couple of posts above but I'm still not 100% sure what's going on with the Wii emulation audio output)

Stewox

Banned
By not supporting TOSLINK, Nintendo has actually done a good thing, it's a bottlenecked standard, it'll be outdated soon. Better for everyone to avoid it, and they don't need to pay royalties for licensed formats as well.

People, who have no tech experience, seem to be praising licensed audio technologies such as Dolby and other stuff, well, that's good to have in stereo, but LPCM is the best thing, there is no need for any licensed stuff since most of it is lossy, therefore inferior.

HDMI has the bandwidth as well as copy protection support.

All "Licensed Audio Logos" on WiiU Game Boxes are misleading and should not be there. Publisher mistake/ignorance. Instead, a text displaying the channel support should be printed, for example "Audio: LPCM 5.1ch" or "Audio: LCPM 2.0ch"

In the end, it's up to the game-specific audio file bitrates and codecs that will dictate the quality you hear, nintendo does it's best to avoid bottlenecks , bad audio quality is all developer's fault. But 7.1 is not supported as we can see - this should not be a very big deal at all, quality is more important than channel count.
Even as Nintendo provides support for such throughput and you have a modern HDMI Sorround Setup, if the game files are encoded in crappy 96kb/s .mp3, the audio quality will be shit no matter what you do on the external side. Blame developer

Since the OP is taking ages to update the thread here is what I wanted to fix in the FAQ:

Q:What if I use the optical output from my TV and hook that into my receiver/HTiB. I'll get surround then?
A: No. You will just get plain stereo. This is not Nintendo's fault, it may change in future and is up to TV manufacturers.

As well as some clarifications why TOSLINK is not as good as some think:

From lovely AVForums:
Toslink and optical does indeed have the bandwidth required for HD audio, but the S/PDIF specifications do not. The S/PDIF protocol and interface themselves do not comply with the requirements and this will not be updated. HDMI has been adopted for both HD audio and video. As far as HDCP goes then yes, S/PDIF doesn't support that either, but you can stream HD audio via multichannel component leads and that interface doesn't support HDCP. It is simply a fact that S/PDIF has ceased to be updated and will never be updated to support higher bandwidths. Why would they update it if the update would only be applicable to new devices with a revised interface, HDMI will already be present on such devices and there would be no need for the revision or expansion of S/PDIF on such devices.

The problem is not the optical media, which has adequate bandwidth as is proven by the adoption of optical connectors in the computer industry for expensive systems, but the audio specification. The specification for S/PDIF does not mandate support for the bandwidth required for 8 channels of 24 bit, 192kHz audio (needs 36.86 MB/s), or the protocols. HDMI does. The result is that nobody implements an interface, nor could they (no specification ==> no standard ==> no interoperability ==> no work). Updaiting the spec is possible, but since everything would need to be replaced, it's simpler to mandate a new connector that makes it obvious.

Optical media does indeed have the bandwidth for full HDMI. As a result, HDMI over fibre is both specified and available.

TOSLink is a registered trademark of Toshiba (TOShiba-LINK), which is why I've discussed the standard optical link. Although TOSLink's bandwidth is adequate for HD audio, it is inadequate for the full HDMI (including video).

It's because of SPDIF socket/plug, not the actual TOSLINK cable which would had enoguh bandwidth for 5.1ch but still only by just, and not comparable to actual fiber-grade speed in other cables that exist.
This has to be a joke standard, fiber optics is what Toslink is made of, and as well as what FTTH is made of, and FTTH is the future of ultra high-speed internet. Toslink is old, throw it away.

So basically what everyone of you should do, instead, go spam developer to make better audio code and , most developer care shit about audio and their audio engines are so crap if they increase audio quality framerate goes down a lot, but this will be a lot easier with WiiU's Audio DSP and I just cannot wait to hear the juice, this has to be the best console ever for now. It's also up to sound designers to actually care to not compress the audio and take high-bitrate ogg stuff into the game.
Disc size of 25GB will also help immensly. All those games which use only a fraction of that could sound a lot better, they have a lot of space why just don't fill it with great audio.

Source quality is way more important and it's the first thing you need to have before you worry about outputting that, so take you're horses to what really matters.

Wii U already has a dedicated chip for audio processing. Of course Nintendo went for the cheapest option. It seems one model higher and Dolby Digital on-the-fly encoding would have been possible by using that chip only.

You're wrong. LPCM is already full-quality. Most of this thread's nintendo bashing is invalid, because it's due to lack of understanding.

My issue was more on the video processing side, not audio. 320x240 sources look pretty bad at 1080p, so I was wondering if anyone had experience with that particular scaler.

What do you think of the Take 5.1s, Mejilan? I've heard some good things; what made you go with them?

You would want a better video scaler than the TV.

Well, The TV should display native 720p if that's what the WiiU outputs, I am not fond of upscaling of any kind, from the TV, from the console, or software-wise from the game it self (eg: BlackOps 2)

Yeah, that's because SPDIF doesn't support enough bandwidth for 5.1 LPCM audio.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd agree with you if you weren't isolating millions of people that want/need to connect up to their TV and then pass audio out to their older amplifier. Or have a receiver that can pass HDMI video but not process LPCM.

SPE said:
IIRC, Factor 5 did for their Gamecube games as the console didn't natively support it.

So it *is* possible, albeit very unlikely.
It's not a matter of a console natively supporting it; Factor 5 developed the standard MusyX sound tool used for GCN/Wii, including the capability to do ProLogic II.
TunaLover said:
They should included DPLII at least for compatible Wii games in Wii mode.
They basically need to allow people to have separate A/V settings for Wii mode and Wii U mode, to alleviate issues like this and 4:3 content being stretched to 1920x1080.
matthewrex said:
Can someone here recommend a good 5.1 receiver that would support the Wii U? I'd like to stay around $200 if possible.
Earlier this year I got this refurbished Onkyo set for just a bit more than the $260+shipping it is now, and that includes the speakers. I'm sure this receiver or something similar could be found alone for quite less if you've no need for the speakers. 4 HDMI inputs, 7.1 support, Wii U works fine, HDMI 1.4a (I think) so 3D passes through fine.
sank-Antonio said:
You should define what you think is "good"...
Anything that's going to get a guy triple the sound channels at decent quality is going to be a good step up.

Top Bottom