• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Let's say this is real for a second, and it's a controller for the home console.

Are you expected to just memorize where the virtual buttons are, or do you only play the console on the controller?

Presumably they can move between games, so it's not always the same spot.

I guess you could try to hold your controller below the TV you're looking at so you can see both at once until you learn it?

jett

D-Member
Having no real buttons is a hilarious blunder from Nintendo. And why are there even scroll wheels where the triggers should be? What is Nintendo even doing? What are they even trying to accomplish with this absolutely hideous design?

NeoRaider

It looks so cool!

vJ6XAKd.jpg

Leatherface

Lack of buttons seems disappointing for sure, but let's not jump the gun yet. There could be something pretty clever going on in this regard.

Qwark

Wasn't Nintendo looking into that technology that creates physical buttons from touchscreens dynamically?

It sounds like voodoo magic to me, but maybe they've figured out a way to implement it here, assuming this isn't totally fake.

_woLf

If this is real it will go down in history as one of the worst controller/handheld designers in gaming.

Fuck that thing is hideous and a MASSIVE waste of potential screen real estate for the sake of looking fancy.

SerTapTap

Those analogs look awful.

I mean everything looks awful, but maybe they have haptic figured out (I seriously doubt it). But those analogs. Why. It's not slim enough to be portable, why use shitty short analog nubs?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This is the controller for a home system?

As in the last thread, if this is true...what is new about this? I mean, what's the new core concept?

As is, superficially, this looks like a simplification and design refinement of the WiiU concept.

Functionally it's a Wii U controller - now with less buttons.

Nintendo claimed it would be something totally new, so I don't know how this squares with that. The same asymmetric TV/gamepad gameplay concept, respun, again?

If it only uses touch screen buttons, then it will be unusable for me. Cannot get used to it on a phone, not going to adjust for a console.

Let's say this is real for a second, and it's a controller for the home console.

Are you expected to just memorize where the virtual buttons are, or do you only play the console on the controller?

Its supposed to be NEW xperience right?

I imagine any games made for this will be played very differently

It is funny how people dismissed the patent. I figured the patent Nintendo published was legit. Surprised they are going all in with no physical buttons.

Those analogs look awful.

I mean everything looks awful, but maybe they have haptic figured out (I seriously doubt it). But those analogs. Why. It's not slim enough to be portable, why use shitty short analog nubs?
Perhaps the final version will be thinner? This could be a prototype.

//DEVIL//

This looks more believable as the screen shape is not out of this world and looks more legit.

Also, it kinda look fancy and expensive. I kinda like it assuming its true

Arkeband

Banned
So was the 'wow' reserved for the first leak being real?

I'm still quite interested to see where they go with it. Far too early to approve or dismiss it.

It was probably an early prototype, which explains why some agencies were more than a little annoyed that it was leaked, because it looked like doodoo.

Prodding at a sheet of glass, pretending like I'm pushing buttons felt disgusting for the brief period I bothered trying it on a smart phone. I'm sure it will be just as shitty here.

Pls Nintendo. Don't take buttons away from me.

Like people have said in other threads, I really hope Nintendo's gimmick/innovation doesn't degrade the precision of the controller (as compared to a regular dual-analog controller).

I mean, the rumors suggest that they aren't taking buttons away, just using digital buttons combined with haptic feedback. So really the difference is going to be heavily dependent on how well the haptic feedback simulates a physical button if true. If it works well, it might be really, really cool since it might even let you do stuff like personally configure button layout on the controller

Nibel

I guess you could try to hold your controller below the TV you're looking at so you can see both at once until you learn it?

I assume Nintendo will tell devs to include a 'standard button layout' and then offer different layouts if devs want to; just speculation on my part

I don't know much about haptic technology, but I'm guessing best case scenario is you can "feel" exactly where the buttons are.

alpha69

It looks terrible to play on. I'd rather have the oversized Gamepad than this tiny little piece of dung. Hoping it's not final. There's a reason why I always wait for the XL version of Ninty's handhelds.

EDIT: Actually, I take it back, it doesn't look THAT small but the shape looks horrendous to hold. Still hoping it's not real

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom