• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Next Xbox to be named 'Xbox Fusion' according to domain names

First Wii U and now possibly this Fusion name for the next Xbox?

Good thing for Sony that their console simply adds a number to Playstation brand. Makes life a lot easier.

kitsuneyo

That, in my humble opinion, is a really shit name for a console. Hopefully this is the name for their TV service or something like that.

According to EA the coming generation is the 4th one, right?
Microsoft can call it The 4th Generation Xbox. Boom, parity with the PS4!
(Just rolls of the tongue, doesn't it?)

Ushae

Banned
Sounds like it might be the name of their BC solution. Plugging in the new old xbox to the new new xbox to play old xbox games on your new xbox.

Spot on, good call.

Seriously I'd be happy with just Xbox, makes sense since that's how everyone recognises the brand. Fusion would make sense for the mini device, but Infinity has a better next gen feel to it.

Radec

ford-fusion-2010-011.jpg

ekim

No way that MS has the ownership of the domain for their next Xbox as of now. They wait until the 21st.
Some corporate domain registration service will hold the domain until then.

There are people in this thread talking about 'Durango' like it was going to be the actual name?

What the fuck has happened to Gaf?

Bert

Sounds like it might be the name of their BC solution. Plugging in the new old xbox to the new new xbox to play old xbox games on your new xbox.

Yo dawg. I heard you like Xbox so I put an Xbox in your Xbox so you can play Xbox on your Xbox.

C4Lukins

According to EA the coming generation is the 4th one, right?
Microsoft can call it The 4th Generation Xbox. Boom, parity with the PS4!
(Just rolls of the tongue, doesn't it?)

I thought they said 6th generation.

NES/ Master System
SNES/ Genesis/ TG16
PS1/ N64/ Saturn
PS2/ Gamecube/ Dreamcast/ XBOX
PS3/360/ Wii
PS4/720/ Wii U

It is probably 8th or 9th generation if you want to get down and dirty, but I think 6th generation after the crash works well.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Hope there's a new Deadly Premonition re-release to support the new razor controller. I need some immersive shaving action.

ymoc

2 years old?
It could be part of the Kinect Fusion development (which is quite cool IMHO!).
I guess the project was announced a few years ago which could explain the domains ? Just a guess...

mocoworm

I like Fusion. Sounds good and the nextbox will be a fusion of many services, old and new.

I still think it will just be called 'xbox' though.

They already own the domain www.xbox.com.

;)

C4Lukins

I like Fusion. Sounds good and the nextbox will be a fusion of many services, old and new.

I still think it will just be called 'xbox' though.

They already own the domain www.xbox.com.

;)

I think simply XBOX is the worst thing they could do. It would suffer from similar problems as the Wii U branding in that the name itself does not tell you that it is a new system or an upgrade of your current system. MS is using XBOX for a ton of branding whether it be Windows 8 games, Windows 8 phone games, XBOX Video or XBOX music. The system itself needs to differentiate itself.

mocoworm

Whatever they come up with the majority will not like it. Remember the Nintendo Wii announcement on GAF ?

Fusion, Infinity, xbox, Loop ... whatever it's called, within a week it will be familiar and not an issue.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
...or it's just Microsoft reclaiming domains from squatters with the word "Xbox" in.

save the internet detective work for reddit.

I think simply XBOX is the worst thing they could do. It would suffer from similar problems as the Wii U branding in that the name itself does not tell you that it is a new system or an upgrade of your current system. MS is using XBOX for a ton of branding whether it be Windows 8 games, Windows 8 phone games, XBOX Video or XBOX music. The system itself needs to differentiate itself.

How did that hurt iPad 3 exactly?

it was just "the new iPad"

it's going to be called Xbox Infinity / Infinite

Infinite Entertainment | Infinite Possibilities

FordGTGuy

Banned

It definitely hurt the new iPad, the other day I actually had to sit and explain to a guy that the iPad was better than the iPad 2 and newer.

It makes no sense when you're in the store and you see iPad and iPad 2 next to each other, of course a normal person is going to think the iPad 2 is better even though it isn't.

C4Lukins

Apple has a mindshare that is quite unique as far as branding. They really push two major products which are the IPhone and the IPAD right now. And when they make an announcement it hits a much broader demographic then those that buy gaming machines. I do not think the branding is comparable, especially when Apple products have yearly iterations and people expect them, while gaming consoles at least in the case of XBOX is 8 years from its last major reveal.

p3tran

Banned
more like xbox ..confusion

21st cannot come soon enough.
no more it will be like this, no it will be like that, it will have this inside, no it will have that, it will play like this, no, not like this, etc etc.
all these rumors bust my balls. ante malaka microsoft

boyshine

I don't know, but I hardly remember it being for sale.. It has got to be the shortest lived product from Apple in recent history. As of now they have the fantastic situation of having 3 iPad products available. iPad, iPad 2 and iPad mini. "Yes sir, iPad 2 is the old one, the one called just 'iPad' is in fact the 4th generation iPad." The question is where do they go from here? Will the 5th generation be called just 'iPad' as well, renaming the current iPad to iPad 4, and discontinuing iPad 2? Maybe. But I think Apple is the only company in the world who can pull this off, because they have their dedicated stores, or dedicated shop-in-shop setups, where Apple employees are always ready to explain the products.

Top Bottom