• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Nintendo Switch has been taken apart

newbong95

4GB of RAM is already impressive as is since it is pretty much in line Apple's smartphones and tablets and a gigantic majority of Android smartphones and tablets. Of course, I wouldn't be shocked if nitnendo does a half step like PS4 pro/Scorpio in the future and does a CPU/GPU leap coupled with 6GB/8GB.

As pointed out by people, the current consoles with 8GB of RAM allocates a ton of it for the OS, when the switch has a lean OS.

Nintendo does hardware upgrades mid gen on their handhelds like new 3ds . But they didnt do any home console mid gen upgrade .

Oregano

Yeah, I think Thraktor had it there. The rollercoaster!

Okay, so if we're at this low memory bandwidth, then how exactly is this chip customized for Nintendo? We can see the product number indicates it is a different run than the stock chips.

This will require chip scans, won't it.

They customized it by taking out the 4 A53 CPU cores and that's about it.

ksamedi

I'm actually heavily leaning towards 4GB & 25.6GB/s at the moment. I don't think the SEC number is all that relevant, it's the two lines beneath it which are the product code (their product codes are 14 digits long and split into two 7 digit lines on the modules).

If it is the 2GB module that I suspect it is, then the two lines would be as follows:

K4F6E30
4HBMGCH

This looks like a pretty good match for what we see on the chips. You can see on this image:

The last two digits of the first line look like 3 and 0, and the last digit of the second line looks like H, which all matches up with the 2GB module.

After looking carefully, I agree. The digits seem to match.

G.ZZZ

Reddit comparisons seems to think that this is exactly the same chipset of the new Shield TV, which has a revision of the X1 as well and supposedly is a bit faster than the old shield:

Antutu benchmark for original shield was 117820
The same benchmark for the 2017 Shield was 132483

Could the difference be due to a newer node making for less throttling?

Manoko

90 inclucing the AC adapter which they sell for $30 and an HDMI cable so its more than comarable with othe USB-C docks

Damn, Nintendo pulling off some major joke and there are still people defending their practices.

Xdrive05

It would be ridiculous if somebody ever entertained that thought.

One of the leading speculations was that Nvidia pawned off all their unsold stock X1 chips to Nintendo for a song. Don't remember how that fit into the 28nm vs 20nm speculation, though.

Well we know it is a different chip at least. Still no idea how different.

Padinn

Reddit comparisons seems to think that this is exactly the same chipset of the new Shield TV, which has a revision of the X1 as well and supposedly is a bit faster than the old shield:

Antutu benchmark for original shield was 117820
The same benchmark for the 2017 Shield was 132483

Could the difference be due to a newer node making for less throttling?

Could be general enhancements to the chips design/power delivery/ect. Improvements in cooling system. Different ambient temperature when the test was conducted. Software revisions improving performance. May have been a different phase in the moon. Too many factors there to really say.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Nintendo does hardware upgrades mid gen on their handhelds like new 3ds . But they didnt do any home console mid gen upgrade .

To be fair, that was before Sony and Microsoft normalized half gen updates. Nintendo already did it with the portable consoles, so with how the landscape changed it isn't that unusual for a partial Console/partial portable console would do the same half gen upgrades like the competition.

Not to mention that huge advances in portable technology would make a switch 1.5 a huge jump in 3 years, even just for something like battery life.

random25

Damn, Nintendo pulling off some major joke and there are still people defending their practices.

Power adapters or bricks from 1st party are within that range or even higher. A 29W USB-C power adapter from Apple for example costs about $50 I believe. A 360 power brick costs about $30, and so on. They are expensive, yeah, but are just basically within market prices.

I'm actually heavily leaning towards 4GB & 25.6GB/s at the moment. I don't think the SEC number is all that relevant, it's the two lines beneath it which are the product code (their product codes are 14 digits long and split into two 7 digit lines on the modules).

If it is the 2GB module that I suspect it is, then the two lines would be as follows:

K4F6E30
4HBMGCH

This looks like a pretty good match for what we see on the chips. You can see on this image:

The last two digits of the first line look like 3 and 0, and the last digit of the second line looks like H, which all matches up with the 2GB module.

Fine work. Definitely seems the most probable thus far.

Atheerios

Koizumi and Takahashi already said in an interview that hardware revisions are possible.

http://time.com/4661055/nintendo-switch-interview/

Whereas people who have been traditionally Nintendo handheld gamers, they may buy Nintendo Switch and then for example, if a new version were to come out later, then maybe they would decide to upgrade to that. Or, for example, because you can take the Joy-Con off the system, then I guess that leaves open the possibility of something else that might get attached. There's obviously a lot of different developments that we could look at from that perspective as well.

Thraktor

I don't want to drag this thread off topic, but for all the complaints about Switch's accessory pricing, I find this one the strangest. As far as I can tell, Switch's AC adaptor is actually the cheapest 15V 2.6A+ USB-C power adaptor on the market. Comparable chargers from Google and Apple are about twice the price (and in the latter case doesn't even come with a charging cable).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

K4F6E30
4HBMGCH

That code on two lines seems to fit the letters and figures we can see.

You really don't know anything about USB-C USB PD chargers, do you? Maybe next time you could investigate before posting.

Why are they so expensive? Is it just that everyone is taking the piss because the only people who need them right now are Macbook Pro owners (who famously have more money than sense), or is there some special technology in there, or is there just an exorbitant licensing cost? How much is USB-C adding to the cost of the Switch?

Atheerios

Why are they so expensive? Is it just that everyone is taking the piss because the only people who need them right now are Macbook Pro owners (who famously have more money than sense), or is there some special technology in there, or is there just an exorbitant licensing cost? How much is USB-C adding to the cost of the Switch?

A litle of everything. Switch uses a very specific 15v/2.4a charger. And the standard that is currently being implemented in most devices is called USB Power Delivery.

And even so most chargers only include one USB PD port and a bunch of USB ports with their own proprietary standard, for example this one from Anker.

Any USB PD charger of more than 40 Watts must include a 15v/2.4a profile.

LordOfChaos

wpxcvJU.jpg

Here's comparison between Nvidia Shield 2017.

Pretty much confirms its Maxwell not Pascal

Seems 85% likely 20nm/A57/Maxwell, but in the interest of objectivity there's no size scale to go off comparing them in these two pictures (well, the HDMI ports for the Shield, but nothing on the Switch shot there). Someone less lazy than me could calculate the die size from the 3DS cart in the first page.

opricnik

Banned
So if its confirmed ( Image seems pretty certain) then

For 100$ Switch users will get a screen, a splitter dock, HD Rumble, IR Sensor,(Battery)

Cool i guess but i dont know if they didnt bother Rumble and made for 250$ it would be better tbh.
qbLhqtV.jpg

Edit:Also 12gb more memory space

For 100$ Switch users will get a screen, a splitter dock, HD Rumble, IR Sensor,(Battery)

Cool i guess but i dont know if they didnt bother Rumble and made for 250$ it would be better tbh.
qbLhqtV.jpg

I'm literally 95% sure the 300 dollar price also includes that mark up for the Dock, not necessarily solely the Rumble.

jorgejjvr

qbLhqtV.jpg

Edit:Also 12gb more memory
HD rumble FTW tho

wpxcvJU.jpg

Here's comparison between Nvidia Shield 2017.

Pretty much confirms its Maxwell not Pascal

Well, that settles it. Chip pretty much looks identical. Looks like the customized Nintendo chip has a brother that got a place in the Nvidia Shield TV 2017.

It was a fun ride with you guys!

By the way... do we know for sure that this is a retail device? :p

A litle of everything. Switch uses a very specific 15v/2.4a charger. And the standard that is currently being implemented in most devices is called USB Power Delivery.

And even so most chargers only include one USB PD port and the rest with their own standard, for example this one from Anker.

Any USB PD charger of more than 40 Watts must include a 15v/2.4a profile.

So why are Nintendo even using it then, if it's turning something as functionally basic as the dock into this $90 boondoggle? It's nice to see Nintendo going with something modern and non-proprietary, but it seems like it comes at a huge cost!

kek_lel

Seems 85% likely 20nm/A57/Maxwell, but in the interest of objectivity there's no size scale to go off comparing them in these two pictures (well, the HDMI ports for the Shield, but nothing on the Switch shot there). Someone less lazy than me could calculate the die size from the 3DS cart in the first page.

I did that and the switch die size comes out at just about 121 mm^2
Based on the DS game card size which is 33mm*35mm according to Wikipedia.

Well, that settles it. Chip pretty much looks identical. Looks like the customized Nintendo chip also got a place in the Nvidia Shield TV 2017.

It was a fun ride with you guys!

By the way... do we know for sure that this is a retail device? :p

Why do people say things like this? There is a 0% chance the chip in the Shield is the same on as in the Switch

Top Bottom