• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Moving on in TNG's third season:
(I will be typing these out more because I really need to get back into practice of actually typing stuff)

ep.6. Booby Trap. it's alright. The premise of running into some ancient final battle is more intriguing than the script and probably the show allows for though.

ep7. The Enemy. Why is that just having Romulans in your episode automatically makes it better? Is it the promise of cold-war conflicts that must be resolved by using guile? Ah, and the first appearance by ambassador G'Kar as a Romulan captain.

ep8. The Price. Possibly one of the worst episodes of TNG after things like The Child, where you see Deanna Troi basically get violated and you're supposed to think that's alright. I've always hated this episode, even if actually sets up the wormhole premise for DS9 in a way.

ep9. The Vengeance Factor. While passable and safely skippable, it's not too bad, primarily by showing Picard's ability to mediate in a conflict.

ep10. The Defector. More Romulans! One of the great episodes of... wait, did Picard just mention general Custer... and emphasized 'a lost cause' with the music specifically getting all "'murica jingle" right on those words... and the defector is a rebel... no. No. NO. NOOOOOOOO.

Well, at least now I know why conservatives think ST is aimed at them, but it kind of ruins an otherwise great episode.
edit: also, the fact that this happens right when Roddenberry was benched with S3 can hardly be overlooked as coincidental.

ep11. The Hunted. More like Cochrane wearing a mustache. Though it is nice to see some random character actually managing to best the Enterprise using nothing more than rules the show had set up till this point, making it more memorable than this episode really should be.

ep12. The High Ground. The galaxy's nicest terrorists kidnap Dr. Crusher because some talks needed to happen on the Federation cowardice on remaining neutral yet still somewhat involved, all because the terrorists weren't smart enough to talk out their issues on freedom in the 24th century. Tonal mismatch: the episode.

ep13. Déjà Q.

H0rgsUb.gif

Need I say more? Also both Data and Q talking about Riker's beard. This is easily my favorite episode of all TNG.

ep 14. A Matter of Perspective. "well in my culture...". When I hear that line or variant of it, I always just think: "oh god it's going to be one of those". And indeed, this episode is a waste of everybody's time --including the viewer-- except for the fact that is the source of the internet most favorite picture: the Riker facepalm and the Double facepalm. At the same time, I guess the topic of indecent proposals (and worse) had to come up somewhere, but it's done in a somewhat unfair disposition here when starting with that whole 'my culture' stuff.

So, to go with Riker:
riker-facepalm.gif

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Variety did a 25th Anniversary photo shoot.

DMSx5ZdX4AEfw79.jpg

Really a shame Avery Brooks is such a grump about the whole thing. Lofton is rocking the Sisko look though.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Avery Brooks seems to avoid Trek. Alexander Siddig is on Gotham right now (films in Vancouver?) and I think Colm is up to stuff too.

Surprised Terry agreed to be in the same place as Berman.

Wow. I didn't even notice Siddig and Meaney weren't there. After Avery Brooks, the only other person I thought about was the guy who played Morn.

Meowster

I just watched Sacrifice of Angels for the first time and ugh. I just knew that was going to happen the second she decided to help them. It was so sad. What a great series of episodes though.

antonz

Avery Brooks seems to avoid Trek. Alexander Siddig is on Gotham right now (films in Vancouver?) and I think Colm is up to stuff too.

Surprised Terry agreed to be in the same place as Berman.

Yeah Brooks is pretty much done with anything trek. He refused to participate in the Anniversary documentary being made as well. Stated he said all he had to say on Deep Space 9.

antonz

Any reason why? Does he just hate being typecast or something?

I think he just doesn't view it s nearly as important a moment in his life as people would expect him too. His refusal to do the Documentary video was basically I have spoken about deep space 9 for years and there is nothing else to say that would contribute anything new so he wasn't going to bother.

I can totally get that. I imagine after your 5th convention being asked the same things over and over gets old but Mr. Brooks himself has always been a bit eccentric so he is just doing what he feels is the priorities in his life

I think he just doesn't view it s nearly as important a moment in his life as people would expect him too. His refusal to do the Documentary video was basically I have spoken about deep space 9 for years and there is nothing else to say that would contribute anything new so he wasn't going to bother.

I can totally get that. I imagine after your 5th convention being asked the same things over and over gets old but Mr. Brooks himself has always been a bit eccentric so he is just doing what he feels is the priorities in his life

Ah that kinda sucks for all the new fans but he's certainly not obligated by any means.

Morts

The only out of character thing I've ever seen Brooks in is that documentary where Shatner interviews the other captains. He seemed reallly out there but I like to think he was just fucking with Shatner.

A friend of mine saw him in some Shakespeare production about a decade ago. I'm jealous.

So TrekGAF, we've all talked about our favourite episodes from this season, but now I want to know what were your LEAST favourite episodes of Enterprise Season 5?

Personally, I don't understand why Manny Coto and Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens thought it was a good idea to do a 2-part prequel to TNG's 'Justice'. They were terrible, but at least we got to see Trip and T'Pol in those outfits, and it was an interesting way to have William Shatner on the show.

Walshicus

So TrekGAF, we've all talked about our favourite episodes from this season, but now I want to know what were your LEAST favourite episodes of Enterprise Season 5?

Personally, I don't understand why Manny Coto and Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens thought it was a good idea to do a 2-part prequel to TNG's 'Justice'. They were terrible, but at least we got to see Trip and T'Pol in those outfits, and it was an interesting way to have William Shatner on the show.

I enjoyed seeing Shran digitally added to that DS9 footage in The Trouble With Tribble Trials.

Top Bottom