• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

Available November

http://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/

http://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/specs/

http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

http://www.apple.com/apple-pencil/

http://www.apple.com/smart-keyboard/

Coverage:

Apple Pencil | Hands On

The Verge

TechnoBuffalo

Pricing:

21273589782_735d4b4c0a_b.jpg

20661471374_32a1755629_b.jpg

Photos and Tech Spec:

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
This could be a serious competitor for the 13' Cintiqs from Wacom, especially if Adobe decides to port a full version of Photoshop to it. Looking forward to see how review compare the performance of the pen to Wacom products.

Do we know how much RAM it has?

This could be a serious competitor for the 13' Cintiqs from Wacom, especially if Adobe decides to port a full version of Photoshop to it. Looking forward to see how review compare the performance of the pen to Wacom products.
I'll be waiting a bit to see what developers do with it. I'm a digital artist myself so this seems like something fun to carry around to draw on. Can imagine using the multitasking feature to have a reference page on one section of the screen while drawing on the other.

I'm hoping this advances to the point where we see programs such as Maya and Blender turned into supported apps.

I really wanted a bigger iPad but starting at $800? $1050 just for a cellular version? Lol fuck off Apple. I'll just stick with the iPad Air 2 since you didn't even bother updating that one.

sarcastor

i don't know who the target audience is. Rich people who draw on occasion?

I always wanted a 12" tablet but not at $800. Cause one drop and its fucking over. I can fathom spending $800 on a laptop cause I don't walk around with it in my hands.

A 64gb i3 surface Pro 3 that comes with the stylus is msrp at $799 and can be found cheaper and will only get cheaper when the 4th gen releases.

There was a 128gb SP3 with 1.9ghz i5 on Ebay for $780 last week. Cowboom had a 256gb i5 8gb pre-owned for $600 a month ago.

Why would anyone buy this over a Surface Pro?

cause some people hate Windows 8 and some people really love Apple?

The bigger screen intrigues me, but I'm worried it may be just a tad too big. Mind you the 6+ started the same way and now I can't go back down after using it.

ElTorro

I'll be waiting a bit to see what developers do with it. I'm a digital artist myself so this seems like something fun to carry around to draw on. Can imagine using the multitasking feature to have a reference page on one section of the screen while drawing on the other.

I'm hoping this advances to the point where we see programs such as Maya and Blender turned into supported apps.

It's definitely lighter than the Cintiq Companion. And crucially it has better battery life, fan-less operation, and a better screen. I might have to checkout that Photoshop Sketch app. Maybe it's already sufficient as a companion app to the desktop version of Photoshop.

PSYGN

I'm interested, but I'm happy with my iPad Air 2 for now. As a hobby artist with an old Wacom tablet, the stylus is certainly tempting, though. Does it only work with the iPad Pro?

Guess Who

Banned
The iPad Air 2 already benchmarked very close to the i3 Surface Pro. If the iPad Pro really gets 1.8x CPU performance over the Air 2, Intel should probably be very careful.

Oxn

i don't know who the target audience is. Rich people who draw on occasion?

I always wanted a 12" tablet but not at $800. Cause one drop and its fucking over. I can fathom spending $800 on a laptop cause I don't walk around with it in my hands.

There was a 128gb SP3 with 1.9ghz i5 on Ebay for $780 last week. Cowboom had a 256gb i5 8gb pre-owned for $600 a month ago.

The target audience are hipster who think they are into art but are not very good.

btrboyev

It uses windows, the last ipad just works, is fast and easier to hold on. Granted I only use it to consume media and is perfect for that.

Windows 10 is really good and a Surface will be faster than the iPad.

Okay consume media...I get it. That's where IOS excels at.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'll probably get the low end one since I don't keep stuff on my tablets, but this could REALLY use an SD card slot if they're serious about editing 4k videos on it.

Also it's genuinely big enough to be a decent Kitchen TV, whichmy Galaxy TAB doubles as currently.

And I SWEAR I'm not trolling (I work at MS) but this comic blew my mind this morning because of the date. I assume it has been posted a zillion times already.

dQG2v6s.jpg

Riptwo

I've been waiting for this since I want to ditch my SP3, but I wonder if we'll see a new iPad Air with 3D touch in the near future. That could make me regret a Pro purchase, but I guess that I have until November to make up my mind.

How much is a similarly-spec'd Surface Pro?

Surface Pro 3 (there are higher spec models that are more expensive, as well):
  • $799 64GB / Intel Core i3 - 1.5GHz / 4GB RAM w/Stylus + $129 Type Cover/Keyboard = $928
  • $899 128GB / Intel Core i5 - 1.9GHz / 4GB RAM w/Stylus + $129 Type Cover/Keyboard = $1028
  • $1149 256GB / Intel Core i5 - 1.9GHz / 8GB RAM w/Stylus + $129 Type Cover/Keyboard = $1278

iPad Pro
  • $799 32GB / A9X + $99 Pencil + $169 Smart Keyboard = $1067
  • $949 128GB / A9X + $99 Pencil + $169 Smart Keyboard = $1217
There's also an LTE Surface Pro 3 available (soon?) but can't find the specs right now, so I left the more expensive LTE iPad Pro out of the comparison, too.

It's way more expensive than I thought it would be. Over $1k after taxes with keyboard and Pencil, yikes. I'm ready to upgrade from my iPad 4 but I will see how good the Pencil is in the store before jumping in. If it can be half as good as a Wacom then it would be pretty solid.

I am however salivating at how gorgeous artwork and comics will look with this.

ElTorro

No, cause thats a real workgrade tablet.

Please educate me on the differences between the Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 and the iPad Pro, that make the one thing a "real workgrade tablet", and the other one a toy for "hipsters". You seem to have more information about things like pen resolution, pen pressure levels, and software lineup than everybody else.

Oxn

Please educate me on the differences between the Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 and the iPad Pro. You seem to have more information about things like pen resolution, pen pressure levels, and software lineup than everybody else.

You already linked me to the page. Its all there.

Don't really see the point at all when you could get a surface for the same price. Good luck running the full version of Photoshop, a browser, and more at the same time. Or things like Maya, illustrator, or basically anything else productive.

I guess its basically a deluxe media consumption device targeted at people who want a really fancy iPad with none of the functionality that comes with a surface pro.

Afrodium

Banned
Will this have exclusive apps that are more robust and centered on productivity, or is this just a big iPad with a $100 stylus and $170 keyboard?

Fret

Will this have exclusive apps that are more robust and centered on productivity, or is this just a big iPad with a $100 stylus and $170 keyboard?

It's running ios9, so its literally just a bigger iPad

Absolutely useless in the professional world

and also the normal world

Oxn

Please tell me nonetheless, so that I know exactly what you mean.

First off, I was talking about the type of people that will buy Ipad Pro, not how well it stacks against the competition.

But if thats what you want to talk about, umm how bout 1 big different. It can connect to a real PC and Mac? itll run full featured creative apps?

WillyFive

Why would anyone buy this over a Surface Pro?

Wanting a tablet that works as an art machine but also as a regular every-day use tablet.

I was looking into a Surface Pro, but the laggy pen support and the fact that it is a Windows OS on a tablet made it unattractive to me (seriously, I've seen more than one demo unit in stores with Windows error messages describing a driver issue on the screen); and the Wacom tablet is excellent as an art machine but also a really poor tablet (runs hot, for example) and expensive.

I always simply wanted an iPad with pen support, but it was never available. This is right what I wanted.

iPads are used almost everywhere across a very wide range of businesses and professions as I've experienced. Not sure where you are getting this idea.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I use even crappier tablets than ipads all the time for proper work. So I think this is an exaggeration. however, the lack of storage and a file system make the 4k editing claims dubious to say the least.

I think the use of the word Pro is going to be an anchor in some ways until they address those things properly and not through adapters and apps.

ElTorro

First off, I was talking about the type of people that will buy Ipad Pro, not how well it stacks against the competition.

So you were just taking a cheap pot shot? Ok.

But if thats what you want to talk about, umm how bout 1 big different. It can connect to a real PC and Mac? itll run full featured creative apps?

You tell me, since you are the one convinced that it will be a tool for hipsters. Especially since you saw something on Wacom's site ("It's all there") that apparently answers this question.

Wanting a tablet that works as an art machine but also as a regular every-day use tablet.

I was looking into a Surface Pro, but the laggy pen support and the fact that it is a Windows OS on a tablet made it unattractive to me (seriously, I've seen more than one demo unit in stores with Windows error messages describing a driver issue on the screen); and the Wacom tablet is excellent as an art machine but also a really poor tablet (runs hot, for example) and expensive.

I always simply wanted an iPad with pen support, but it was never available. This is right what I wanted.

iPads are used almost everywhere. Not sure where you are getting this idea.

I never trust demo units in store. They run 24/7 with all kinds of people messing with them all day. I had a surface 3 pro with 0 zero issues. Such a solid device.

Xyphie

Who's supplying the pen + digitizer? Since it has a battery it's obviously not Wacom. Would be pretty funny if it's N-trig (i.e. Microsoft).

Top Bottom