• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

My phone finished updating, I think it's re installing all apps XD

But, it feels faster for now, will keep testing as it installs more apps.

So about that Lock Screen stuff that Joe said was a couple weeks away about a month ago....Joe plz

LF plz

The one other guy that works on WP...plz

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
>Be Me
>Talk to girl on Tinder (6tin)
>Ask her out.
>She says yes.
>Ask her for time and place
*phone notification*
NEW WINDOWS PHONE 8.1 UPDATE
>Go for update
>Phone has been *updating* for the past 4 hours. Cannot check messages.

MRW
ZAyCd6t.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
>Be Me
>Ask her out.
>She says yes.
*phone notification*
>Go for update

MRW
ZAyCd6t.jpg
Joe Belfiore, the ultimate cockblocker.

Tablo

Right now it's the Lumia 930 and 1520. Both have a Snapdragon 800 quad-core at 2.2 GHz and 2 GB RAM. The 1525 is supposed to come out soon and got a Snapdragon 801, which is just an overclocked 800.

Then we might get completely new devices this Fall.

801 is a lot more power efficient too.

^^ lololol dead

Might just be placebo, but all the animations appear to be smoother and I'm not seeing resume screens jumping through apps.

Eanan

>Be Me
>Ask her out.
>She says yes.
*phone notification*
>Go for update

MRW
ZAyCd6t.jpg
Its all Bill Gates fault.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So, my upgrade is due first week in September. Do I plump on a 930, or wait for the 1525? Currently a Lumia 900 owner. UK-based.

Size matters to some. A friend has a 1520 and I was interested because of the specs (930 hadn't been announced yet), but I tried it and it is just too big for me as an everyday phone. 930 appears to be pretty much exactly a 1520 but in a smaller package, so suited me better

^^ lololol dead

Might just be placebo, but all the animations appear to be smoother and I'm not seeing resume screens jumping through apps.

I'm still seeing resume screens, but even they feels shorter. It does feels smoother too.

Hope Cyan improves it further, though.

Commodore

Just finished updating my US based 920. Didn't update to cyan yet, shows I still have Nokia Black. Thought the update was paired with cyan.

Edit: Oh. The update I just got apparently was just an update to the dev preview. Official update to the consumer 8.1 still to come it seems.

jstripes

Banned
>Be Me
>Ask her out.
>She says yes.
*phone notification*
>Go for update

MRW
ZAyCd6t.jpg

Priorities, man.

I love having the latest software as much as any enthusiast, but... you shoulda kept the chat going.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Do we have any infos regarding the Mclaren phone?

Why downgrade?

Don't think so. Not even sure why we are always chasing more. Right from the off with the ancient lumia 800, windows phone ran smoothly with single core CPUs and we somehow survived. Spec wars are meaningless - it's all about how the device behaves.

A few days ago I became upgrade eligible on my Verizon account. I'm seriously considering moving from Android (currently have a Galaxy S3) to a Lumia Icon. Had a couple questions.

Is it a good time to buy? Or is there something better on the horizon?

Is there anyway to backup and save text messages? (Android has spoiled me)

kharma45

A few days ago I became upgrade eligible on my Verizon account. I'm seriously considering moving from Android (currently have a Galaxy S3) to a Lumia Icon. Had a couple questions.

Is it a good time to buy? Or is there something better on the horizon?

Is there anyway to backup and save text messages? (Android has spoiled me)

Yeah WP backs up texts

wp8backup_640_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

This app from Nokia should let you transfer over your texts that you already have if you want them

As for new hardware on Verizon, apparently the 1525 is coming to them http://www.techtimes.com/articles/9...n-801-coming-to-t-mobile-at-t-and-verizon.htm

n64coder

And I hope the calendar compatibility with Google will be complete (right now I don't think entries on my phone are pushed to the Google servers)

I use Google calendar and I don't have any issues with calendar entries not getting pushed to the server. I don't recall it being an issue with 8.0 either.

If I been running the developer preview, is there any reason why I would want the official Cyan update? Would it be to just get the firmware updates (if any) and then switch back to developer preview?

It would be nice if there was a comparison of features between Android/WP/iOS where one can see which features are present and what's missing. Or a list of advantages WP has over iOS/Android other than the home screen look. It would be nice for me to be able to rattle off a list to my colleagues who are all stuck on their boring iphones.

I use Google calendar and I don't have any issues with calendar entries not getting pushed to the server. I don't recall it being an issue with 8.0 either.

If I been running the developer preview, is there any reason why I would want the official Cyan update? Would it be to just get the firmware updates (if any) and then switch back to developer preview?

It would be nice if there was a comparison of features between Android/WP/iOS where one can see which features are present and what's missing. Or a list of advantages WP has over iOS/Android other than the home screen look. It would be nice for me to be able to rattle off a list to my colleagues who are all stuck on their boring iphones.
The developer preview always has you on the latest OS release and you still get the firmware when it's pushed by your carrier.

So, after those few games got delisted and updated for 8.1 I decide download them to test, and also redownload a few games I already had...

And good God, for a moment I though there was something broken with my phone, but then I remembered i'm probably running on generic drivers on 8.1 preview...

At least I hope so, because my phone is not sustaining 60fps not even on the simplest 3D games available like Temple Run 2 and Subway Surfers (heck, Subway Surfers feels like it's not even hitting 30 all that often). And before the preview they did run flawlessly. Now they take forever to load, run noticeably worse and have some lockups all the time.

MS Splosion Man looks so bad it almost feels like it's a joke:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...uthkey=!AE1upbUSNyx7zyc&v=3&ithint=photo,.png

I really really really hope Cyan make things better XD

GWX

No worries complaining is the life of Windows Phone phans. Where's my update? Where's the blank app? Where's Joe???

Well, I have good news. Reverted to Lumia Black today with the Software Recovery Tool that Nokia provides: after 8h of stand-by, the phones accuses 99% of battery left! I guess the 620 really didn't like those generic drivers of the preview... quick edit: she does miss the action center, though! Now for the long wait until Cyan arrives =(

derFeef

Anyone using the Facebook beta? The notification settings are getting ignored it seems. I turned off notifications for messages but it still shows the number on the live tile.

Anyone using the Facebook beta? The notification settings are getting ignored it seems. I turned off notifications for messages but it still shows the number on the live tile.

You have the Messenger app installed? Don't think message notifications should ever show when you have Messenger installed.

Top Bottom