• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right

But the parallel potential there you could have with Jon sending away an ally because she murdered an innocent young girl and Dany refusing Dorne because they murdered an innocent young girl seems extremely obvious to me.
Definitely possible. It'll be interesting to see what they do, if that's even something they'd put into a seven episode season.

Yeah but Tyrion still loves Jaime and cares about his niece.

He should still be pissed about it.
Not disagreeing, as I wouldn't mind never seeing show!Dorne ever again haha. Just speaking from how I could see the writers approaching it (as in potentially not at all).

Mist

Banned
I don't know what they are doing with Arya's character. I don't think they know either.

I'm still hoping she reunites with Nymeria next season. Arya riding on Nymeria's back, leading a pack of a hundred wolves. Killing Lannisters and Freys everywhere.

Iksenpets

Banned
Only thing I can remotely imagine is lava arm, and if it is, it's a watered down version cause muh CGI budget.

Dragon horn ain't gonna happen. They would've shown it during the kingsmoot to give Euron at least something more than just a vulgar version of Yara's speech.

Nah, I think it could definitely still be in. They like to bring in magic elements very slowly, and may not want to foreshadow the dragon theft until the season it actually happens. I could see the horn being in Oldtown, where Sam can introduce us to it, setting the viewer up to think it's going to be used for good. Then Euron attacks and steals it, just in time for Dany to arrive and him to steal the dragons. It's a more shocking twist that way, and they love those. And who knows if they'll get into the weird stuff with Euron's crazy mass sacrifices and blood magic.

I think the real question for next season is what the hell is Cersei going to do to keep Olenna and Ellaria from wrecking her. She's gotta have at least one big moment left in her, but right now she seems massively outgunned. I imagine Qyburn will come more to the forefront next season now that he's hand, so maybe he'll pull something

Wow, I hadn't looked at the first page of the old thread in forever - now looking at the cast, and thinking about how many we lost this season is wild. And my man Tormund is still kicking!

mWLsHXW.png

Wow, I hadn't looked at the first page of the old thread in forever - now looking at the cast, and thinking about how many we lost this season is wild. And my man Tormund is still kicking!

mWLsHXW.png
Tormund is one of my favorite characters in the show. So glad that he'll be around for at least season 7.

Tormund's fate has me nervous. He could easily go out in a heroic death but I kinda hope he survives and becomes a leader of the Wildlings/Free Folk/whatever they're calling them when they settle in Westeros.

Tormund's fate has me nervous. He could easily go out in a heroic death but I kinda hope he survives and becomes a leader of the Wildlings/Free Folk/whatever they're calling them when they settle in Westeros.

Me too. Some people just deserve to live, dammit.

Some are speculative, but for now:

WmBDtRG.jpg

Daenarys having actual conflict among her allies is pretty essential if they want her S7 story to be interesting and not just a series of dull #slaykween scenes.

Likewise Jon and whatever sabotage Petyr is planning.

Black_Sun

Daenarys having actual conflict among her allies is pretty essential if they want her S7 story to be interesting and not just a series of dull #slaykween scenes.

As much I liked the Kl scenes in the finale I still miss "Aegon". I really liked the idea behind him.

And he would've provided an actual challenge to Daenerys.

Now Dany's just going to steamroll everyone unless Euron starts to act more like Book Euron.

Nah, midway through Season 7 we're going to get a shot of Daario and a now cured Jorah playing beer pong in the Meereen Pyramid throne chamber.

And they'll be bemoaning the fact that Dany left them, of course.

Though she for sure sent Jorah off to find a cure without giving him money or something. What's he supposed to do, get that shit on contract?

Damerman

Taking bets. How likely are these events?

Dragon horn
Lady Stoneheart
Lava arm
Ice dragon

I mean right now it 100% looks like "Dany and Jon team up to defeat the white walkers and rule Westeros. The end." How are you going to stretch that for 14 more episodes? I want to see some wrenches thrown in gears.
anyone who bets for lady stoneheart to show up now, just give me ur money.

Anarion07

I've been wondering... when the Light of the Seven started playing at the beginning of ep 10...
Has piano ever been so prominent in GOT?

Was there ever another song with piano in it? Can't recall any.

I could see Arya biting the dust in season 7 and Beric Thoros and the Hound finding her using the last kiss and bringing back a vengeful little Stoneheart. I mean really what purpose does that group serve right now? That being said she has offed Frey and the boys so really the satisfaction would be diminished.

Also Nymeria finding Arya would be way more badass then finding a puddle of goo that is Catelyn Stark by now.

I could see Arya biting the dust in season 7 and Beric Thoros and the Hound finding her using the last kiss and bringing back a vengeful little Stoneheart. I mean really what purpose does that group serve right now? That being said she has offed Frey and the boys so really the satisfaction would be diminished.

fYf3uqz.jpg

belvedere

Junior Butler
So, are we going to see Rhaegar flashbacks next season? It seemed like the Jon reveal while appropriate seemed a bit reserved. I'm hoping it was on purpose and the show will delve more into the prophecy, or at least how much of a bad ass Rhaegar was.

Krogan

I've been wondering... when the Light of the Seven started playing at the beginning of ep 10...
Has piano ever been so prominent in GOT?

Was there ever another song with piano in it? Can't recall any.

Only two times has music on GoT pulled me out of the moment, the Jaime losing his hand credits and the piano from the last episode.

Iksenpets

Banned
Varys for sure. Tyrion I doubt.

But I'm leaning towards this not being a point of contention in the show. Tyrion's loyalty/fondness to his family name ever wanes.

Varys has to know, but there's no way he would jeopardize his alliance with Dorne by telling Tyrion. The only way I can see Tyrion finding out is if he runs into Jaime again. And even then, he clearly liked Myrcella, but would he be willing to blow up an important alliance over something so far in the past (at least it will be by the time he has a chance to find out)? And I really doubt he could turn Dany against the Dornish. Myrcella is a faceless child to her, and a Lannister child at that. The woman who crucifies masters without finding out what they did first isn't going to have a lot of trouble seeing Myrcella's death as justice for Rhaegar's children, especially when there's an army on the line.

Varys has to know, but there's no way he would jeopardize his alliance with Dorne by telling Tyrion. The only way I can see Tyrion finding out is if he runs into Jaime again. And even then, he clearly liked Myrcella, but would he be willing to blow up an important reliance over something so far in the past (at least it will be by the time he has a chance to find out)? And I really doubt he could turn Dany against the Dornish. Myrcella is a faceless child to her, and a Lannister child at that. The woman who crucifies masters without finding out what they did first isn't going to have a lot of trouble seeing Myrcella's death as justice for Rhaegar's children, especially when there's an army on the line.

Well said.

Cromat

I'm gonna make a bet right now: the first episode of next season will be dedicated to telling the story of Robert's rebellion and introducing Rhaegar, either through a chain of long flashbacks by Bran or an outright "20 years ago" episode.

Right now Rhaegar's name means nothing to show-only people despite him being a crucial character who set this whole chain of events in motion. The fact that the reveal scene with Ned and Lyanna didn't just have her say "Rhaegar is his dad, meaning he's a Targaryen" suggests that the show will take the time to explore that in much more detail.

Really stoked to see who they cast as Rhaegar.

Daemul

I'm gonna make a bet right now: the first episode of next season will be dedicated to telling the story of Robert's rebellion and introducing Rhaegar, either through a chain of long flashbacks by Bran or an outright "20 years ago" episode.

Right now Rhaegar's name means nothing to show-only people despite him being a crucial character who set this whole chain of events in motion. The fact that the reveal scene with Ned and Lyanna didn't just have her say "Rhaegar is his dad, meaning he's a Targaryen" suggests that the show will take the time to explore that in much more detail.

There's only 13 episodes left bruh, leave that shit for it's own series.

Also Nymeria finding Arya would be way more badass then finding a puddle of goo that is Catelyn Stark by now.

I think they showed up again to bring Lady Stoneheart, if that's the case she's probably already alive, just wasn't with them at the precise moment we saw them.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I think they showed up again to bring Lady Stoneheart, if that's the case she's probably already alive, just wasn't with them at the precise moment we saw them.

they brought them back to bring the hound to the north, since he is the only one that can tell sansa that littlefinger put a knife at ned's throat.

or just as fan service. but people need to let stoneheart go.

So, are we going to see Rhaegar flashbacks next season? It seemed like the Jon reveal while appropriate seemed a bit reserved. I'm hoping it was on purpose and the show will delve more into the prophecy, or at least how much of a bad ass Rhaegar was.
I think so, I think we'll see the Knight Of The Laughing Tree, confirming Lyanna was the mystery knight. And I think we'll see their marriage at the Isle of Faces.

Iksenpets

Banned

No way this happens. If you're lucky you get some version of the Knight of the Laughing Tree story to clarify that it wasn't kidnapping. Otherwise, you probably just get some version of either Bran or Howland telling Jon, "Your dad was Rhaegar".

Oh here is something I've been wondering: did anyone else just start kind of... laughing at HOLD THE DOOR? Like, it's supposed to be this big, tragic moment, but I just kept thinking about how silly it was that they wrote Serious Lore for Hodor's name. I feel like an awful person partially, because it is sad, but something about the execution of it + just the idea of his name being some kind of SICK TWIST just made me laugh for some reason.

I fully expect to be in a small minority on this. fwiw I am the kind of person who cries very easily when watching TV or a movie. I just feel this kind of ironic detachment from the show at this point that I can't quite explain.

Oh here is something I've been wondering: did anyone else just start kind of... laughing at HOLD THE DOOR? Like, it's supposed to be this big, tragic moment, but I just kept thinking about how silly it was that they wrote Serious Lore for Hodor's name. I feel like an awful person partially, because it is sad, but something about the execution of it + just the idea of his name being some kind of SICK TWIST just made me laugh for some reason.

I fully expect to be in a small minority on this. fwiw I am the kind of person who cries very easily when watching TV or a movie. I just feel this kind of ironic detachment from the show at this point that I can't quite explain.

I don't think you're alone. It's a minority, sure, but a few friends of mine thought that was really goofy.

Honestly, I think there was some element of it that was goofy or contrived. It felt constructed too much in a "THIS IS IMPORTANT AND DRAMATIC" kinda way. Maybe it was the surrounding elements that made it goofy, too. Fire grenades, Vasquez forest child, Bran kinda being a douche and being the instigator of the scene...it just didn't sit right with me. Everyone on Facebook saying they bawled their eyes out at that scene--I just didn't get it. It felt "constructed" to me, but I get that it was really moving for a lot of people.

Moff

Hold the door was by far the most emotional and smartest scene for me on the show that I didn't already know from the books.

Won't lie... my eyes were pretty wet at that scene lol.

Nothing wrong with that! It was a misfire for me but, as noted, I'm in the minority.

It may end up being one of those scenes I go back and forth on. I had similar thoughts on Furiosa's scene in Fury Road where she falls to her knees and screams. Sometimes when I watch it, it really works, but other times, it feels like I can see the strings and is offputting. It's interesting and weird.

Me too. Some people just deserve to live, dammit.

Some are speculative, but for now:

WmBDtRG.jpg

This list is missing the Hound, the Mountain, and Euron. And Gendry.

Also, Jaime is in King's Landing now with Cersei. People who think Jaime will kill her: It won't happen, at least not at first. She's not going to die in the first couple eps, so she's safe from Jaime for now. They either won't talk, they'll talk about it and fight, or he'll just straight up leave KL. No matter what, he's going to be seriously emotionally conflicted.

I blame Cersei 100% for Tommen's death. He had no intention of dying until his wife and council and the sept leaders were all killed. He probably felt incredible guilt and sadness. He couldn't do anything to stop it and he's the king. He couldn't do anything to stop almost any of the stuff that happened these past two season, and he's the king.

In another way, I believe Cersei wanted Tommen to die or at least be out of her sight. Tommen pissed her off when he sided with the faith and rid her chance for a trial by combat. She forced him to stay in his room where he had to watch the explosion, helpless. She knew he'd be watching. When it was over, she didn't even go to him, but instead went to torture Septa Unella. She knew his wife and the high sparrow were important to him, even if they brain washed him better than she could. Lastly, after Tommen's death, I wouldn't describe her as being emotionless, rather she just didn't care anymore. Almost a relief that the prophecy came true and now she could move on, be queen, and kill whoever else stands in her way.

I put money on Jorah being done. He can't come crawling back to Dany for like, the fourth time. That scene felt like a proper goodbye to me. I kinda hope he doesn't come back, anyway. I just don't see anymore purpose for him in the story that isn't retreading old ground for him.

Kard8p3

Also, Jaime is in King's Landing now with Cersei. People who think Jaime will kill her: It won't happen, at least not at first. She's not going to die in the first couple eps, so she's safe from Jaime for now. They either won't talk, they'll talk about it and fight, or he'll just straight up leave KL. No matter what, he's going to be seriously emotionally conflicted.

Of course it won't be at first, it'll be when Cersei tries to burn everything down like Aerys did.

Gigglepoo

I put money on Jorah being done. He can't come crawling back to Dany for like, the fourth time. That scene felt like a proper goodbye to me. I kinda hope he doesn't come back, anyway. I just don't see anymore purpose for him in the story that isn't retreading old ground for him.

His story ended on a cliffhanger. Other than Gendry, the show brings back characters whose stories still need a resolution. Jaqen and Daario are gone, though. Gone for good.

Moff

I think they would have just let him die a heroic death when he was saving dany in Vaes dothrak if they wanted him gone.
just sending him away does not seem like a proper goodbye for a character that was with us since the very first episode of the show

Jaqen and Daario are gone, though. Gone for good.

I don't see that either. I'd bet a lot we'll see Jaqen at the citadel. They even changed the kindly man to Jaqen because Wlashiha was so popular. No way they'd skip a chapter where Jaqen actually is present in the books. And the same here, Arya would have killed him otherwise, would actually even have made more sense than make him let her leave like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom