• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshitoshi ABe Community: Everyone Is Connected

Just got Darkness and Lightness, they're gorgeous and worth a buy though we've seen most of the art before. They're split thematically, so stuff like NieA_7 is in Lightness while Texhnolyze and Lain are in Darkness, etc. There's a cool Hellboy illustration in Darkness I had no idea ABe did!

Just got Darkness and Lightness, they're gorgeous and worth a buy though we've seen most of the art before. They're split thematically, so stuff like NieA_7 is in Lightness while Texhnolyze and Lain are in Darkness, etc. There's a cool Hellboy illustration in Darkness I had no idea ABe did!

Heh, except Lightness ends with Lain art and Darkness ends with Haibane art. It's like a mobius strip of two books looping back on each other.

It's an interesting choice that there is basically no order to the content whatsoever, but there isn't even an index at the end!

Saudades

Heh, except Lightness ends with Lain art and Darkness ends with Haibane art. It's like a mobius strip of two books looping back on each other.

It's an interesting choice that there is basically no order to the content whatsoever, but there isn't even an index at the end!
So you guys have gotten the books? How's the quality?
If it's not too much to ask can you guys take a few pictures of them? I just wanna confirm how good they are before dropping 80$ on them.

They're very nice, absolutely worth the price of admission. I'd be happy to take some pictures for you, hopefully later today.

Saudades

Damn, I planned to skip out on this book since it's just sketches but it looks good too.
And there's a Hellboy illustration at the corner there lol.
11917727_688476481288934_1142631027_n.jpg
And also here's a bigger look at the comiczin bonus postcards:

Got Sketches&Drawings today! DHL International Priority is really something else...

Took some pictures first thing this time...

Those were just a few that caught my eye upon first "thumb-through." There are tons and they're all gorgeous, but there are definitely some that have been printed elsewhere.

elhav

Despera

Banned
Gaisokyu is the first artbook I ever bought, and probably remains my favourite.

I also accidentally found a bunch of doodles I've done back in my freshman year which included a couple of haibane renmei stuff.

Mostly copied other artists back then and didn't give a fuck about drawing hair properly lol.

:(
It's only been 7 years, right? WE CAN MAKE IT.
It's been more than a year now since ABe announced the project was moving forward with a new director. Hope we get a name at least by the end of this year.

cj_iwakura

Someone on tumblr reminded me that it's been like a year since we had any Despera news. Someone as legendary as ABe should have more people doing detective work on his projects, I would think.

Speaking of Despera, Chiaki said that the anime will come out eventually. The studio producing it is very busy right now and where it's a more independent project, they're waiting for things to slow down a little bit. He mentioned that, in the meantime, he's changing a lot of the story for the anime, so that's something to look forward to.

cj_iwakura

Speaking of Despera, Chiaki said that the anime will come out eventually. The studio producing it is very busy right now and where it's a more independent project, they're waiting for things to slow down a little bit. He mentioned that, in the meantime, he's changing a lot of the story for the anime, so that's something to look forward to.
Great news, source?

Great news, source?

My wife and I had dinner with Chiaki on Sunday night, actually. ^^ I met him after a few e-mail exchanges when I first came to Tokyo during my JET Program orientation so we kept in touch and I got to introduce him to my wife during our trip to Tokyo this past weekend. I would have asked more about future projects but it was hard enough to keep myself from talking about Digimon Tamers all the time haha.

cj_iwakura

My wife and I had dinner with Chiaki on Sunday night, actually. ^^ I met him after a few e-mail exchanges when I first came to Tokyo during my JET Program orientation so we kept in touch and I got to introduce him to my wife during our trip to Tokyo this past weekend. I would have asked more about future projects but it was hard enough to keep myself from talking about Digimon Tamers all the time haha.

Nice. Please send him my regards, I love his writing. I hope he does something to sate the fans, because we still want it.

Dimefan3

Awesome! This might be one I watch the simulcast of (I usually just wait until the full series is out.)

This reminds me...it's been a while since I've watched Haibane Renmei. Might need to break it out soon...

Top Bottom