• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Yes, a couple times... lol. I assume you were one of them then? Small world. :)

LOL, if I recall correctly...ruxtpin has a Z. What cars do you recall asking you?

Edit: Ah ^^^ nm. He was visiting for work.

J-Rzez

I think it was August, I was up there for work. Drove over to Panera one evening, parked next to the car and talked before they drove off. If I recall, this your first Ford? hah

Yep. I stop by there after my 2nd PT job for something quick. Next time you're there, I suggest trying out "Stations Grill." It's right across from Panera there. Fantastic food. :)

ruxtpin

Banned
LOL, if I recall correctly...ruxtpin has a Z. What cars do you recall asking you?

Edit: Ah ^^^ nm. He was visiting for work.

Ah nah. I had the Z around 2013. Traded that in. Got a VW GLI for something practical. Divorce last year, then bought the Scat Pack as a present to me. I go around to hospitals for work; generally I fly, but I'm right outside Philadelphia so I drove my own car up to Scranton. If I'm in town on the 23rd I'll definitely try and make the Bethlehem C&C. They do a small one every Sunday near me, but I haven't been in a long while.

AlphaSnake

Ah nah. I had the Z around 2013. Traded that in. Got a VW GLI for something practical. Divorce last year, then bought the Scat Pack as a present to me. I go around to hospitals for work; generally I fly, but I'm right outside Philadelphia so I drove my own car up to Scranton. If I'm in town on the 23rd I'll definitely try and make the Bethlehem C&C. They do a small one every Sunday near me, but I haven't been in a long while.

Oh shit. Right. I forgot about the divorce and that you got a Challenger.

Nighttime driving in a convertible is majorly underrated. All of the media you see about convertibles is always sunny days, but there's just as much joy in cool nights. My next car probably won't be a convertible, but it's going to be hard to give those nights up.

+1

In the summer my top is always up in the daytime, but once the sun sets, I pretty much drop it almost immediately lol.

I have a NB 5 speed. 75 mph is probably upper 3k to low 4k

Drone isn't bad with stock exhaust.

Yep, my NC revs around the same.

As for the sound... I have a Roadstersport "Race" Muffler, and it can get loud, but not loud enough to where you can't hear the radio or your passenger talking to you.

Well, the RC F was totally underwhelming. LFA was totally unreachable and the GS F while people say it's good, it doesn't have the guts. I love everything about the LC except that hideous rear end.

The RC-F was garbage coz IIRC half the chassis was from a previous-gen GS and the other half from a current-gen IS. There's no chance in hell you can make a good car by going the Frankenstein route lol.

The GS-F "sucks" coz it's still naturally aspirated when it's entire competition is leagues ahead due to the forced induction. Like as much as I love that Lexus is all about that NA life, pricing it along with the M's and V's with a less-capable engine is a bad decision imo and tbh, I don't think I've even see an GS-F in the wild... I see more IS-F's instead lol.

Nah. Have you driven a LS or GS lately? Meh.

Yep. I used to work for a luxury car dealer and while we dealt with Euro cars mostly, we still had some Lexuses.

If you're just going by driving dynamics then I think you're looking at Lexus the wrong way. Both the LS and GS aren't drivers cars at all... they literally have no sense of sport even if there is a sport mode or whatever.

But if you don't care about that and are looking for the overall "bang for your buck" purchase, then I'd say the Lexus wins by a narrow margin.

golem

+Yep. I used to work for a luxury car dealer and while we dealt with Euro cars mostly, we still had some Lexuses.

If you're just going by driving dynamics then I think you're looking at Lexus the wrong way. Both the LS and GS aren't drivers cars at all... they literally have no sense of sport even if there is a sport mode or whatever.

But if you don't care about that and are looking for the overall "bang for your buck" purchase, then I'd say the Lexus wins by a narrow margin.
I felt the interior ergonomics and infotainment were pretty sub par too. Just haven't been impressed by their offerings.

AlphaSnake

The RC-F was garbage coz IIRC half the chassis was from a previous-gen GS and the other half from a current-gen IS. There's no chance in hell you can make a good car by going the Frankenstein route lol.

Current GS front. Last gen IS350 Convertible mid. And Current gen IS350 rear. It's three cars spliced together. A big joke, basically.

I felt the interior ergonomics and infotainment were pretty sub par too. Just haven't been impressed by their offerings.

I can't deny this but I can live with it coz a decently specced BMW/Merc/Audi is gonna cost you a few grand more than a Lexus will. More importantly, Lexuses are much much more reliable than any of those 3.

All the cars at the dealer I worked at were bought from leases and repos so a lot of them are low mileage(under 30K) and those European brands already have a variety of issues(engine, electrical, interior, whatever really) that need to be fixed before being sold whereas a Lexus just needs paint correction, dent removal, tires, brakes, and a full detail before getting sold.

Current GS front. Last gen IS350 Convertible mid. And Current gen IS350 rear. It's three cars spliced together. A big joke, basically.

Damn it's even worse that I thought. It really is a big joke lolol.

Hrmm. Maybe I should look at an NC instead of an NB for a daily.

Yes yes yes!!
Thanks for giving me the excuse of posting my NC again lolol.

Wouldn't you want this beautiful thing in your garage?

Falch

ND or bust.

4rZ45Bc.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
New Fiesta ST infos:
http://fordeurope.blogspot.de/2017/02/the-next-gen-fiesta-st-revealed.html

https://youtu.be/xwL2ht60m7M

https://youtu.be/61dLyp756l4

Specs / Press Kit:
http://www.fordmedia.eu/project/next-generation-ford-fiesta-st/?portfolioCats=2,9,3,20,4
Press Kit Description

The next generation Ford Fiesta ST delivers the most versatile, fun, engaging and rewarding Fiesta ST driving experience yet – for the first time featuring Drive Modes and an all-new 200 PS, three-cylinder 1.5-litre EcoBoost engine.

Drivers can select from Normal, Sport and Track modes – configuring engine, steering and stability controls to deliver an optimised fun-to-drive experience in conditions from motorways to track days.

Electronic Sound Enhancement technology and an active exhaust noise control valve deliver an even more satisfying driving experience, and the next generation Fiesta ST offers more personalisation options than ever before.

I am more than happy to have scored one of the last current ones tbh. The Liquid Blue is a nice color, though.

v1lla21

Beat you by minutes but you had a better post :p. Really liking the car though. Color looks great on it.
The hatch honestly makes me think of a sporty cmax lol.

Evo X

Evo,
If we order thru you can you deliver to NY?
What sorta discounts can GAFers get?

If you order, you can take delivery in Germany, Atlanta, LA, or my dealership in IL. After it arrives, you can drive or ship to NY.

My sister is ordering a Macan S for delivery to the LA Experience Center. I can give GAFers the same family and friends discount.

Oh yeah, totally reminds me. I took some pics of the Raptor at my house today. Hold up.

NRRbnQc.jpg

x1kblal.jpg

KAJnIwk.jpg

Kd0qNWo.jpg

Such a great design. Definitely going to be my first truck.

Badass. If I was to buy a truck, this would definitely be it.

I specd a decent macan for 55 awhile ago - if you're going to get one of those luxury SUVs in that size range.... You might as well haha

True. It's our best selling vehicle by far.

Was at the dealer today for a state inspection and got the chance to stare at this beauty the entire time I was there:

It's not an RF but man it still looks really good.

Gorgeous. Nice color combo. ;)

I plan to spend an afternoon doing a great detail and wax sometime in the next month and take some real glamour shots downtown. In the meantime, did a quick clean-up and snapped some slightly better pics than what I had before in my driveway.

Black on saddle brown looks great man!

For the Jag fans... :)

Last weekend I took a trip up to Warwickshire to visit the British Motor Museum. Haven't been there for a few years and it now has the added bonus of the Jaguar Heritage Centre housing most of their collection there in a new building. I visited the old one at Browns Lane many moons ago, but now that's closed it was nice to see them all again in one place.

Loads of rare one-offs and concept cars to see. Well worth a trip.

8ldO65u.jpg

B0HfjcI.jpg

z1megiH.jpg

Awesome pics. Auto GAF on fire recently.

Yes, yes, yes! I love that sound. And I would totally rock that car. Good job, Lexus.

My uncle saw the LC500 at the Chicago Auto Show last week and now wants one instead of an S550 Coupe.

So my exhaust turned out a little louder than expected, but I'm OK with that. Stopped by my friends work and got a quick cellphone vid done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22VBLz5BROw&feature=youtu.be

Sounds like a rally car. Haha.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ28Q8thq2W/?taken-by=lamborghini

Not sure if it links to the latest post but god damn that video is going to be amazing.

Performante going to be superb. Love N/A V10s.

Wow, Porsche tied for first. Nice. :)

Ok so Porsche just went fucking nuts on the new 671hp(!!!!)Turbo S
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/02/new-porsche-panamera-turbo-s-e-hybrid.html

Saw this in an internal post yesterday. Nuts. They're testing some things on this that will make their way into the Mission E.

+1

In the summer my top is always up in the daytime, but once the sun sets, I pretty much drop it almost immediately lol.

Lol, I used to do this often in my Boxster S. Really miss having a convertible.

boltz

Reven

I pretty much agree with everyone else's take on the new FiST. The rear is a huge downgrade but looks to be worth it for the much nice (and wider) interior. Interested to hear the first impressions on its turbo 3.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Floor Jack and stands arrived today. Time to start the search for some slightly used wheels so I can have both a winter set and a sticky as fuck summer set of rubber.

...and I'm getting the itch to mod again...

Yeh and the fact that the standard ZL1 is faster than the GS on track means that:

1. this thing will not only be much faster than a GS, but almost as fast as the Z06.

2. since its a package and the standard ZL1 starts at low $60s, this thing will be mid $70s at most. Which, I guess if you consider all options, is the current discounted price of new 1LZ model Z06s(base model).

GM has a lot of fast nice cars out but is making it very difficult to choose a model tbh.

matmanx1

Yeah I love my NC for my daily commute. It's comfortable enough for my ~30 minute ride in to work and never beats me up but still has that "adult go-kart" feel that all Miata's have. I like it so much more than I ever thought I would. And this week's warm weather has just been awesome in terms of top down entertainment.

I pretty much agree with everyone else's take on the new FiST. The rear is a huge downgrade but looks to be worth it for the much nice (and wider) interior. Interested to hear the first impressions on its turbo 3.

My only problem with the 1st gen was the interior. I will take the slight downgrade of the rear view for a much nicer interior. That's a worthwhile trade if it drives as well as the 1st gen does.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
woah, the new ZL1 1LE is the new Z/28 apparently. looks awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCr7Rvw8ihM

2017-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-1le.jpg

Even the baseline 2016 SS was a blast to drive. The chassis was so damn tight and rigid, it felt amazing. Lots of grip and pickup - felt like it hugged the road. I can't even imagine how well that 1LE must drive... .... it's just a shame the thing looks like a damn Hot Wheels car.

Kambing

Anyone else a fan of the Volkswagen Scirocco?
Saw one on my last trip to Indonesia and was surprised they don't sell these in the states.

articleLeadwide-2016-volkswagen-scirocco-r-wolfsburg-editiongtl24u.jpg

Bought a GoPro car mount today so I promptly hooked it up and got some footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU2EGL6lG3c

It's only a minute long but I actually went around for a good 30 mins(to test out how stable the footage is on bumps and all that) but nobody wants to see me get stuck in traffic or endlessly drive in a straight line so I just kept all the fun bits lol.

Now I just need a proper camera to hook it up with, the one I'm using there is an old shitty action cam from a few years ago haha.

I was wondering if that 6th had any effect at all on highway rpm.

I had an NA 5SP 1.8 and it was like 4K at 75mph.

Watch my video above... in the 2nd clip when I shift to 5th I'm actually right around 4.5K. And even with my "race" muffler the drone isn't that bad at all. The camera's mic picks up the road noise instead and while that's not a true representation, it's actually pretty close... the road and wind noise overpower the exhaust note lol.

Futaba

Nothing beats the feeling of stripping out a car down to the bare carpets, vacuum/cleaning from the ground up, getting the inside spotless then doing the same for the exterior, then at the end of the day downing tools and standing back to admire your work.

Nothing.

Wouldn't you want this beautiful thing in your garage?
I would do unspeakable things to/for you for that ride, it's one of the cleanest I've seen for quite some time, though now I look at it on a desktop monitor and not a smartphone, is it just my eyes / the way the light was reflecting or is your bumper an ever so slightly darker shade of red from the wing?

AlphaSnake

I would do unspeakable things to/for you for that ride, it's one of the cleanest I've seen for quite some time, though now I look at it on a desktop monitor and not a smartphone, is it just my eyes / the way the light was reflecting or is your bumper an ever so slightly darker shade of red from the wing?

He has a clear bra, I think.

AlphaSnake

Even the baseline 2016 SS was a blast to drive. The chassis was so damn tight and rigid, it felt amazing. Lots of grip and pickup - felt like it hugged the road. I can't even imagine how well that 1LE must drive... .... it's just a shame the thing looks like a damn Hot Wheels car.

Exactly. I was having a convo today with a friend during dinner...and just, no matter how capable this car is...it's just a no to me based on looks and interior. It's drab, and looks way too much like the old car. I'd still get a Mustang.

I wish it was a clear bra lol.

Got into a fender bender a looong time ago and insurance gave me a new bumper.

The shop actually told me that it looks that way coz it's newer paint versus the 6+ years old paint that's on the rest of the car so naturally the older paint would lose some luster or whatever versus new paint. But I spoke to a Mazda rep that used to hang out in the Miata forums and he told me that Mazda might've changed the formula of the paint after 2006. And tbh that was a better answer than what the shop told me so I just went with it.

Futaba

The shop actually told me that it looks that way coz it's newer paint versus the 6+ years old paint that's on the rest of the car so naturally the older paint would lose some luster or whatever versus new paint. But I spoke to a Mazda rep that used to hang out in the Miata forums and he told me that Mazda might've changed the formula of the paint after 2006. And tbh that was a better answer than what the shop told me so I just went with it.

Paint fading over time would be true if it was 1993 or around about there and older, when manufacturers used lead based paint, as it would dramatically change color over time, waxing and polishing would temporarily bring the color back out but soon as UV gets at it again it would just go back to how it was, it was especially visible on red cars, my 1991 Celica GT4 RC in red was practically pink in some places.
With newer paint formulas I really don't buy the shops excuse that the paint faded that much in just 6 years, even if it was lead based (which I doubt), it would take much longer than 6 years, so the rep is most likely right and they changed the paint formula mid generation and the match isn't quite the same.

J-Rzez

The new FiST looks nice but I'm not digging thr rear as much as the current one.
http://jalopnik.com/the-2018-ford-fiesta-st-is-your-new-three-cylinder-turb-1792711087
2018-ford-fiesta-st.jpg

Next car will either be a Fiesta or gti, if I got the money, a Golf R. Kinda want to go rwd though.

Front looks really good, the back looks very VW-esque.

Gonna try my hand at making a go pro vid myself of the exhaust for the RS group and forum guys. If it turns out ok, ill post it. Ill try to find as many tunnels and parking garages as possible.

v1lla21

Front looks really good, the back looks very VW-esque.

Gonna try my hand at making a go pro vid myself of the exhaust for the RS group and forum guys. If it turns out ok, ill post it. Ill try to find as many tunnels and parking garages as possible.
Now that you say it, I agree. Still a very nice car. Hoping for some great tunnel footage. Your car sounds amazing.

Pinewood

Saw one on my last trip to Indonesia and was surprised they don't sell these in the states.

Was on the table as an option when I was searching for a car. Drove a 1.4 and I really liked it, but the brown color on the one I drove wasnt too hot

kharma45

Still a nice looking car but really feeling it's age being based on the MK V Golf. Needs replaced sooner rather than later. Seems to have sold pretty well here in the UK from the number you see around.

Malvolio

Love this style, but America hates it. Trying to find a 3 door hatchback here is like searching for Bigfoot. Thank god I bought my car when I did. Outside of a Mini, I don't think there currently is a 3 door on sale here that I'd even look twice at.

AlphaSnake

Wow...seriously?

The shop is full of crap. Good shops are supposed to color match paint, not just by looking at the VIN, but by actually mixing the paint correctly to make sure it's 100% accurate to the original spray.

Kambing

Love this style, but America hates it. Trying to find a 3 door hatchback here is like searching for Bigfoot. Thank god I bought my car when I did. Outside of a Mini, I don't think there currently is a 3 door on sale here that I'd even look twice at.

Right?! When my wife and I first moved to the states we also bought a Mini. This VW really does a look a lot better in person though. Roads are so massive here, so can understand the public's preference of larger cars. It's a shame really.

I did not know this was an older model/not yet refreshed -- curious whether VW will update this now!

Paint fading over time would be true if it was 1993 or around about there and older, when manufacturers used lead based paint, as it would dramatically change color over time, waxing and polishing would temporarily bring the color back out but soon as UV gets at it again it would just go back to how it was, it was especially visible on red cars, my 1991 Celica GT4 RC in red was practically pink in some places.
With newer paint formulas I really don't buy the shops excuse that the paint faded that much in just 6 years, even if it was lead based (which I doubt), it would take much longer than 6 years, so the rep is most likely right and they changed the paint formula mid generation and the match isn't quite the same.

Wow...seriously?

The shop is full of crap. Good shops are supposed to color match paint, not just by looking at the VIN, but by actually mixing the paint correctly to make sure it's 100% accurate to the original spray.

There's actually sort of a longer story behind it.

The non-OEM bumpers the shop got had severely bad fitment issues so they actually sent out the car to a local Mazda dealer and they ordered one from Mazda corporate and had it shipped from Japan to Dallas.

About 3 weeks after I dropped it off, they called me up, said it's almost ready and I just need to be at the shop to sign off on it. So I went there and that's where they told me the entire story and showed me 3 non-OEM bumpers.

They actually put each bumper on the car to let me see how bad it was, and yeah it was terrible. Huge ass panel gaps here and there and misaligned everywhere that it was crashing on the headlight assembly. Then they put on the bumper from Mazda Japan and it fit perfectly.

As for the paint, it really wasn't noticeable when I picked it up and didn't notice it for another couple of weeks or so. That's when I brought the car back to the shop and where they gave me that answer... it wasn't years later actually that I found out that Mazda might've changed the paint formula.

I actually did ask the paint guy at the dealer I worked at last year and you're right it can be color matched as long as the paint guy actually knows what the fnck he's doing, but most guys just follow the given formula on the computer and since the bumper was probably painted in a booth, separated from the car, the guy wouldn't have noticed at all. Then you add in that the formula might've changed, then yeah it's just not a good recipe at all.

Where are you mounting it? Maybe a more straight ahead view would be better

I've got it mounted on the passenger side window. I'd love to mount it to look straight ahead but as you can see, it's only possible if I drop the top(but then the headrests will block some of the view):

JRosteck-NCRZ003.jpg

If I put up the top, there's nowhere for me to mount the camera as there's a crevice right below it that lets you stow the top like the picture. I also don't have a rollbar so I can't mount it on there either.

matmanx1

Bought a GoPro car mount today so I promptly hooked it up and got some footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU2EGL6lG3c

It's only a minute long but I actually went around for a good 30 mins(to test out how stable the footage is on bumps and all that) but nobody wants to see me get stuck in traffic or endlessly drive in a straight line so I just kept all the fun bits lol.

Now I just need a proper camera to hook it up with, the one I'm using there is an old shitty action cam from a few years ago haha.

Watch my video above... in the 2nd clip when I shift to 5th I'm actually right around 4.5K. And even with my "race" muffler the drone isn't that bad at all. The camera's mic picks up the road noise instead and while that's not a true representation, it's actually pretty close... the road and wind noise overpower the exhaust note lol.

Sounding good! It made me want to go jump out and play with my Miata. I have also considered getting a Go Pro but with the Miata, as you said, there isn't a great spot to mount it.

And in other news, I love my local mechanic. The guy just replaced my hood struts, spark plugs and valve cover gasket on the 2004 GX470 and only charged me $425 total. I'm pretty sure the dealership would have been close to twice that if not more.

v1lla21

My gf's uncle owns two e30 325i but one in black and the other one is white. The white one has am engine swap but idk what it is. He told me he'd sell me his black one but we just left it at that. I'm contemplating buying it later in the year.

My pops saw an M2 at the mall and won't stop talking about it. He's not a fan of how BMWs look unless it's the 6 series so it kind of surprises me he likes the M2. Doesn't help we got the new motor trend and there's an M2 on the cover lol.

No Love

Banned
Does it run? Because thats super cheap. I've paid more for cars I had to tow home.

Runs solid, stereo works (aux input too!), AC works. The worst thing is the struts are going out so they're a bit clunky and floaty and interior pieces need refreshening from a junkyard. Otherwise... Not bad at all. My friend owned it for 6 years and I gave him $200 and an oz of weed for it. I could probably flip it for $1500+.

I'll take some pics tomorrow. Now I have the M5, the 530i, my CL-S 6spd and now the 525i. Gonna try to find a good 335i over the next month.

Runs solid, stereo works (aux input too!), AC works. The worst thing is the struts are going out so they're a bit clunky and floaty and interior pieces need refreshening from a junkyard. Otherwise... Not bad at all. My friend owned it for 6 years and I gave him $200 and an oz of weed for it. I could probably flip it for $1500+.

I'll take some pics tomorrow. Now I have the M5, the 530i, my CL-S 6spd and now the 525i. Gonna try to find a good 335i over the next month.

Are you starting a dealership haha? What are your plans for all these cars!

Top Bottom