• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I knew the Silent Hill HD Collection was shoddy, but this right here is hilarious

peppers

I'm no developer, but I don't think that reverse engineering a PS2 game out of a retail disc and then getting it to 1080p on a completely different console without breaking anything is as simple as some might believe.

That said, I'm not defending this garbage.

kunonabi

I've played every version of SH2 and 3 available. Yes, the HD port is very lacking but it's serviceable.

If you have other ways to play them then yes do that.

If just want to spend $10 and play them well...

You'd be better off not playing them all.

Breaking news: not everyone knows everything

Wait, what? We all weren't born with all the obscure and ultimately useless knowledge in existence straight out of the womb?

Most of us heard the HD Collection was shit, said "Aw man, that's a bummer", and proceeded to never buy it, play it, or read into it again. Hence why this is news to me.

I see it posted plenty of times. I figured anyone interested in Silent Hill would know by now.

Middle quoted guy sounds exceptionally irritated today, wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

Anung

Un Rama
I'm no developer, but I don't think that reverse engineering a PS2 game out of a retail disc and then getting it to 1080p on a completely different console without breaking anything is as simple as some might believe.

That said, I'm not defending this garbage.

This is exactly the technique Bluepoint uses and they did excellent port work with PS2 games like God of War, Metal Gear Solid 2-3 and Ico and SOTC.

Audioboxer

Fucking Konami. Iconic series, fleece it out to the cheapest and most incompetent studio. Bluepoint would have done this justice.

The PS3 version is barely passable as it got some extra patches over 360. Go with PC if you can.

I remember there being some dev doing the rounds in all the PR interviews going on about being a huge Silent Hill fan and they will be doing this justice. Then they shat out the HD collection.

What a shit show all round. Again, fucking Konami. There will be historical look backs at Konami in 15-20 years and how they arsed up their gaming division in terms of brand quality/iconic IP. All for some quick and dirty money in gambling machines and mobile.

Edit: Video laughter is the best.

fernoca

The developer was (is?) notorious for rushed/bad remasters and ports.

Many went with them because they got them on time and for cheap.

Bluepoint and QLOC are the best at them, Tantalus has been quite great over the past years. But they all are quite busy, so if someone has time to do a quick job, that's the end result.

eliochip

Theres lazy and then theres malicious.

Those involved with this HD collection must really hate the franchise or its fans. They could've used a myriad of default fonts and they went with one thats directly counterintuitive in this context.

Thats not lazy, they're trying to piss people off.

Orb

Yeah, the collections a fuckin MESS, but it's still the only easy way to play it nowadays if you never had/dont have a PS2.

The lack of fog and some weapon sounds in 3 being AWFUL are standout problems, and while I much prefer the redubs over the original games(fuck guy cihi), that can be a negative to many.

Orb

inside joke.
some devs hate their jobs esp remastering shitty games

I don't like SH2 as much as some but this opinion is objectively wrong.

It really, really isnt.

It really is.

Unless you have a hard eye or are super intolerant to bugs, it's the cheapest and easiest way to get these games considering most people dont have the option of buying a PS2, and two mega expensive nowadays games.

You can hate the quality of something without ignoring that it's still sadly the best option for people not ready to put down 100+ to try a series.

Rarius

There's a like, 2 hour long video that goes into how oblivious the dev team were behind the HD collection.

Every stage of development was a trash fire, including the VA, which replaced the old Silent Hill 2 cast. The director of the new VA did nothing but shit on the original work (Which was done by people who weren't even VA artists)... then went on to giving the worst, unfitting dub of a game. The new VA work is atrocious, even though it has actually good actors in it, but not only sounds worse (They mixed it wrong in every single cutscene) but also changes some scenes for no reason.

It doesn't help that the guy in charge of the studio that handled the 'remaster', Homecoming, Downpour and Book of memories genuinely believes that he is the end all of Silent Hill knowledge, even though in every.single.interview. he basically reveals that he has no idea what he is even talking about from even the most basic standpoint.

I only ever played silent Hill 2 on PS2 and it is one of my favourite games.

When I saw what they had done to the HD I just laughed, but comic sans is criminal

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Good opportunity as any to post about the graphical bugs, but this doesn't even begin to touch things like performance issues, sound bugs, for some dumb reason changing things that don't need to be changed (like making one of the walking sounds a fucking door opening sound for some reason), etc.

sh-screen-compare.png
4.png
WbMtrNI.png
shcoll1.png
shcoll2.jpg
ahiRC.png

halfbeast

Banned

It really is.

Unless you have a hard eye or are super intolerant to bugs, it's the cheapest and easiest way to get these games considering most people dont have the option of buying a PS2, and two mega expensive nowadays games.

You can hate the quality of something without ignoring that it's still sadly the best option for people not ready to put down 100+ to try a series.

assuming they have a ps3, because getting the ps2 versions, including a console to play it, seems still the cheaper option. otherwise just watch some let's play on youtube.

peppers

This is exactly the technique Bluepoint uses and they did excellent port work with PS2 games like God of War, Metal Gear Solid 2-3 and Ico and SOTC.

Then they must be real wizards, damn. So what happened with this really? Seeing they are also responsible for MGS HD (also Konami) confuses me further.

Fisty

The best we will be able to hope for at this point is SH2 and 3 as PS2 classics on PS4, other than PC emulation, it seems. That's if Konami has enough sense to even allow Sony to work on the games, which....

SirNinja

Haha yes. I remember seeing that way back when and not being able to contain my laughter. (Or utter disgust, as a graphic designer, but mostly it was funny as hell)

I even Comic Sans'd the boxart in commemoration:

Rarius

Then they must be real wizards, damn. So what happened with this really? Seeing they are also responsible for MGS HD (also Konami) confuses me further.

The devs were incompetent. Hijinx had no idea what they were doing, and were also being directed by Tom Hewlitt, who also has no idea what he's doing

It really is.

I thought i was the only person on gaf that would say this.
Yes the HD collection makes a lot of mistakes and the xbox version never got a patch fixing most issues but if you can find the ps3 version and patch it then i'd actually say it's worth picking up.
It might be missing some sound effects and the fog still isn't fixed completely with the patch but it's perfectly playable and still, even with the issues, one of the best games you can ever play.
If you only have an xbox then ignore the above because without the patch it's an embarrassing mess but on ps3 after the patch it's actually not that bad.
If you own the ps2 originals then stick with those but if not then it's passable post patch on ps3.

Good opportunity as any to post about the graphical bugs, but this doesn't even begin to touch things like performance issues, sound bugs, for some dumb reason changing things that don't need to be changed (like making one of the walking sounds a fucking door opening sound for some reason), etc.

sh-screen-compare.png
4.png
WbMtrNI.png
shcoll1.png
shcoll2.jpg
ahiRC.png

Seeing it in motion also highlights how much they ruined the atmosphere with these remasters

a87x4i.gif

Ludens

Banned
I remember a news from Bluepoint, if I'm correct, about how they reversed-engineered a game from a simple retail copy, so it should be doable.
Anyway the Collection is not THAT bad. Yes, it's crap compared to the originals, but at least with the last patch they partially fixed most issues in Silent Hill 2 (no, crappy fog in the lake scene and the butchered cutscene in the hotel are still here).

SH3 framerate in some situations is so bad the game literally stops, it's awful.

Konami released all Suikoden titles on PS3, I wonder when and if they release Silent Hill 2,3 and 4 too for PS4, since it should be braindead easy, just add trophies and it's done.

Anung

Un Rama
I'm just saying I'd rather someone be able to play my favorite game series then not at all.

There is so much changed and made worse between graphics, bugs, sound effects, story bits that are changed or rendered inert and awful anime voice acting that it barely even resembles what made the originals what they are.

It'd be like saying a new version of Blade Runner where all the humans are replaced with sock puppets and Vangelis's iconic score is now fart noises is a fine stand in for the original even though it would totally change the tone, atmosphere and context of the original.

Seeing it in motion also highlights how much they ruined the atmosphere with these remasters

a87x4i.gif

But this was fixed with the patch on ps3, they added the fog(although not perfect) and atmosphere back in.
Before the patch it was only present during cutscenes.Xbox version is still broken.

i know i'm going to get torn to shreds but please understand that both silent hill 2 and 3 are without doubt some of my favourite games and whilst i am still upset they were not remastered properly i think that for people who still own a ps3 and haven't played these games it's still worth picking up and still miles better than almost every other attempt at survival horror since they released.
The patch on ps3 fixed a lot of issues you see in gifs and images posted online, it's still not as good the originals but it's perfectly playable, especially silent hill 2.

sh-screen-compare.png
4.png

It's like they removed all the fog from outside and moved it inside the buildings.

Orb

assuming they have a ps3, because getting the ps2 versions, including a console to play it, seems still the cheaper option. otherwise just watch some let's play on youtube.

In what world are the sometimes over 60$(new) ps2 versions cheaper than the 360/ps3/ps4(theyre on psnow) 5$ bargain bin copy

I could find a refurbished 360/PS3 for less than a hundred

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
WTF IS THIS!!? It feels like developers put more work on this remaster to make it worst. So I can't even call it lazy work.

They even took out that creepy sound from this. Why!!?
giphy.gif

Whompa02

I feel like they were just messing around at this point.

Why...did they not want to bother re-licensing the font used? Or did they not have the file so they just put in whatever and nobody bothered to double check?

Nobody cared...what a shame.

omg I refuse to believe the shadows in the diner scene from the blinds are gone in the HD version. What the FUCK?!

Orb

we live on different planets then, because I can find 2 and 3 between 10-30 bucks. or are you one of those, who thinks buying used games is the same as piracy?

No, im one of those whose sole experience with used PS2 games has been hell and I wouldn't pay money for something that may just decide to not work or load infinitely(in the case of Silent Hill 3)

Orb

a87x4i.gif

Although yeah, this.... is depressing.

What I'd kill for these games to get a proper remaster with the PC version's code :/ Especially 3.

Yes the HD collection makes a lot of mistakes and the xbox version never got a patch fixing most issues but if you can find the ps3 version and patch it then i'd actually say it's worth picking up.
It might be missing some sound effects and the fog still isn't fixed completely with the patch but it's perfectly playable and still, even with the issues, one of the best games you can ever play.
If you only have an xbox then ignore the above because without the patch it's an embarrassing mess but on ps3 after the patch it's actually not that bad.
If you own the ps2 originals then stick with those but if not then it's passable post patch on ps3.
Like, I must be super tolerable of bugs, but even the absolute shit heap that the 360 version is, is still SERVICEABLE to completely new people. I recently beat SH3 on it for a few people to see it, and while the sound effects fucked up(rarely were they missing, just a few things like machine gun causing a ear-blistering repetitive loud noise) there was nothing that, like, broke how cool the imagery and themes were lol, which was the important part.

It's all pedantry, though, because Silent Hill is dead and no one cares anymore :(

Kthulhu

Yet another reason to MAKE SURE YOU HAVE REDUNDANT BACKUPS OF ALL IMPORTANT DATA! I don't care what your line of work is, keep important shit backed up.

Persona7

Banned

The PS3 version never got a patch fixing most issues.

Comic sans font in Silent Hill 2?!

Asfdhagfdhahkxx

giphy.gif

I feel for everyone who had to experience SH2&3 through that collection. At least the devs patched a few of the problems, but still wasn't enough.
Although no amount of patches can fix the fucking horrendous voice acting in SH3. They ruined every character.

Top Bottom