• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Definitely Bond teased in those shots. Metro as a wild card.

I hope that's not the cover story though.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Do you honestly think they're going for a facial recognition sign-in like on Kinect?

I don't know. You can do facial recognition with a single cheap and low-resolution camera, and have some cool applications from it in games. It's just more reliable to do it à la Kinect with the infrared additional sensor, to be less dependent on the light, etc.

Maybe Nintendo will add another complementary frontal camera, maybe just one camera is enough for the what they want to do, but the facial recognition is clearly a feature documented by Nintendo for Wii U, and planned to be available.

BurntPork

Banned
640 is the most logic case.

Yeah, but on B3D he said that even a GPU similar to the 5670 in terms of heat would require a ridiculously loud and fast fan.

Perhaps subtract a few in exchange for built in hardware lighting, texturing, etc. 400 to play around w/ after that isn't bad.

Actually, it's very bad. If Alberto is right, it means that a port from XB3 not optimized to use that special hardware would need to scale down to something with ~20% as much power.

Yeah, but on B3D he said that even a GPU similar to the 5670 in terms of heat would require a ridiculously loud and fast fan.

Mobile chips ;)
Seriously, under 400 spu is just impossible. Remember that Wii U is supposed to display 2 screens. So, if the chip is 28nm or even 32nm, it could be possible to have 640SPU

BurntPork

Banned
Mobile chips ;)
Seriously, under 400 spu is just impossible. Remember that Wii U is supposed to display 2 screens. So, if the chip is 28nm or even 32nm, it could be possible to have 640SPU

Mobile chips aren't realistic due to cost and yields. Also, that is a HUGE if. I'd declare 28nm in a 2012 console from any of the big three to be next to impossible, let alone Nintendo.

Mobile chips aren't realistic due to cost and yields. Also, that is a HUGE if. I'd declare 28nm in a 2012 console from any of the big three to be next to impossible, let alone Nintendo.

240/320 is just unrealistic. It would be a 360esque GPU... who will have to render much more than a 360.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Do you think your this (these?) feature is the same Ono teased/hyped a while back?

They are mainly all related to already known components (camera, etc.) & the software layer of the system (OS features, etc.). I haven't heard of an additional "physical" thing (haptic, 3D screen, etc.), but there's still the possibility that it could be kept hidden to third-parties by Nintendo.

But this scenario is less likely when you read my message, as features already promoted one year ago weren't accessible to developers until at least very recently.

240/320 is just unrealistic. It would be a 360esque GPU... who will have to render much more than a 360.

Well, one theory is that it'll have a small number of SPUs (not compared to the 360, mind you) but have direct pipelines for certain features that it would use a lot, so it wouldn't need a lot of SPUs.

Up to your old tricks again, bp? haha

Also, don't forget that much of the system outside of the main RAM and CPU is likely to be included on the GPU package (DSP, I/O, Memory Controller). Much of it is relatively low in power drain, though, and Wii U can get away w/ alot more thanks to the shortcuts Nintendo takes in outputs (only a few USB, lack of HDD, etc).

And oh yeah, it's most likely to suck on geometry.

I also expect it to have a pretty loud fan. Maybe not 360 loud, but loud.

AlStrong

One last thing. Based on what you've said here and on B3D forums, 240-320 SPUs is the most reasonable range and anything over 400 is pretty much impossible in a case that size on 40nm, right?

Ah... can't say I recall 240-320 being reasonable. That would be a hilariously tiny chip. :p

Anyways, the ALUs aren't the only part of the equation here ( # of ROPs/TF/TA units, texture cache sizes etc). Clocks are highly variable and can have a fairly big impact on TDP via operating voltage, so it's really a question about balancing die size and clocks and resultant TDP. You certainly don't want a large chip operating at low clocks just to keep within TDP, and besides, the triangle throughput rate is directly proportional to clocks, so going with a low clock would be detrimental to that part of the rendering.

The 40nm process is certainly very mature now as well, so that'll have some impact on the number of chips that can operate within a certain TDP at a particular clock/voltage (not cherry-picking as much). So I mean, 400-640 ALUs is reasonable provided an inverse clock speed relation. You don't want the die size to be so large that it becomes a cost that carries through for the millions of chips to be fabbed.

Actually, it's very bad. If Alberto is right, it means that a port from XB3 not optimized to use that special hardware would need to scale down to something with ~20% as much power.

Do we all need to remember that consoles use customs hardware (mostly based on mobile chips). This time with the APU's it's a easier job.

Custom APU (IBM cpu + AMD gpu)
Llano_Trinity_and_Brazos_1.jpg

Middle is Trinity APU

Right we have 35-45w APU's with 400SP.

It has less ram now ?

Maybe

where is wsippel, i wanted him to use my info to investigate on the Wii U camera providers & all !

Next time, i will add a scan with my posts i guess :p

No, add some photoshops.

I'm sure if we analyze this enough we can extrapolate the information we desire.

We have to go deeper.

I've heard a few rumblings from some web crawlers that they were up to 3gb of ram now yes our no?

Definitely our.

antonz

where is wsippel, i wanted him to use my info to investigate on the Wii U camera providers & all !

Next time, i will add a scan with my posts i guess :p

I think we already know the camera supplier actually. It was announced last E3. for the Wii U they changed sensor providers and are using the same people who supply apple while the 3DS gets it from someone else

DrWong

They are mainly all related to already known components (camera, etc.) & the software layer of the system (OS features, etc.). I haven't heard of an additional "physical" thing (haptic, 3D screen, etc.), but there's still the possibility that it could be kept hidden to third-parties by Nintendo.

But this scenario is less likely when you read my message, as features already promoted one year ago weren't accessible to developers until at least very recently.
Thanks. I'm not not hoping for some exotical hardware feature, just trying to know if there's more than one feature/use of the Upad which deserve to be kept secret.

Whats does nm mean? What deal does it mean?

The size of the smallest drawn feature of a microchip, in nanometers. Think of it as the tininess of the pen that etched the circuits.

The smaller the feature size, the less time it takes electrons to move from place, so maximum clock frequency can increase with less energy expenditure required.

I remember someone posted a seemingly bogus game list a couple months ago. Doesn't seem so BS anymore seeing as how the New Super Mario Bros prediction was correct. Wouldn't be too surprised if the name changes were correct.

There were also articles claiming the Wii U was good for MMOs. What was the basis for this?

I remember someone posted a seemingly bogus game list a couple months ago. Doesn't seem so BS anymore seeing as how the New Super Mario Bros prediction was correct. Wouldn't be too surprised if the name changes were correct.

There were also articles claiming the Wii U was good for MMOs. What was the basis for this?

That was simply because of the controller, in that you could put a lot of buttons on the screen for easy access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom