• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run |OT| Dash, Jump, Switch

maxcriden

oasoswp.jpeg

INFO

Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: DeNA & Nintendo
System: iOS (now); Android (later)
Price: $9.99, £7.99 (Free to Start)
Release Date: December 15th, 2016
Compatibility: iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices running iOS 8.0 or later.
Internet Connection: required at all times
MarioWiki Page with unspoilered level names & other info: http://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_Run

ezgif.com-optimize.gif

App Store description:

A new kind of Mario game that you can play with one hand.
In this game, Mario constantly moves forward through the courses while you use a variety of jumps to navigate. Mario will behave differently depending on the timing of your taps, so it's up to you to show off particularly smooth moves, gather coins, and reach the goal.

■World Tour
Run and jump with style to rescue Princess Peach from Bowser’s clutches!

Travel through plains, caverns, haunted houses, airships, castles, and more...

Clear 6 worlds filled with 24 brand-new courses designed for one-handed play!

■Toad Rally
Show off Mario’s stylish moves, compete against your friends and challenge people from all over the world.

A challenge mode where the competition differs each time you play.

Compete against the stylish moves of other players for the highest score as you gather coins and get cheered on by a crowd of Toads. If you’re impressive enough, the Toads may even come live in your kingdom.

You can also perform stylish moves to fill up your gauge and launch into Coin Rush!

*In order to play Toad Rally, you will need Rally Tickets that you can acquire in a variety of ways, such as clearing worlds or through bonus games in your kingdom.

■Kingdom Builder
Gather coins and Toads to build your very own kingdom.

Create your unique kingdom with buildings and decorations that you acquire with the help of Toads gathered in Toad Rally.

VIDEOS

Miyamoto Continues To Eat Food While Playing Super Mario Run With One Hand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IchrmP6CBpY

Intro Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTglyDBdp-A&feature=youtu.be

Meet Super Mario Run Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKG5jU6DV70

Commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpdfg5km60w

Miyamoto & The Roots perform SMB theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V17tXBePgfo

Full Apple Store Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GaGlcTvdFA

Miyamoto measures things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiUeuc7eOh0

SCREENS

super_mario_run_iphonu7lr6.jpg

REVIEWS

miyamoto.gif

It's-a pending!

RELATED THREADS

97cb3540-574f-0134-1822-060e3e89e053.gif

Super Mario Run - impressions thread

super-mario-run.gif

Announcement Thread

It appears Super Mario Run will require an internet connection at all times

Super Mario Run Longevity (Pink, Purple, and Black Coins)

Miyamoto Continues To Eat Food While Playing Super Mario Run With One Hand

WSJ: ‘Super Mario Run’ Signals New Era for Nintendo

RECOMMENDED READING

The Verge: A chat with Shigeru Miyamoto about Super Mario Run

Glixel Interview: Miyamoto on Mario Run, Working With Apple, young devs on Switch

supermario_run_gif_final.gif

jennetics

One hand free and playing Mario Run at the same time. What a time to be alive ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Gonna have to wait for it to get to Android though (and go on sale).

Very nice OT!

Great OP as ever. Looking forward to reading more GAF impressions.

(Sadly I'm on Android and therefore will have to wait until whenever the vague exclusivity period ends)

Steiner

Banned
Great OT! Really excited to dive into this. Does anyone know what time we're expecting it to hit the app store?

maxcriden

I'm still unsure if my iPad 2 can handle it. Supposedly it can handle iOS 8 but I'm not really sure if it will fly as an older device....

It seems this won't be releasing at 11pm EST on the iOS App Store but at some random point tomorrow.

Based on the usual release schedule for new iOS apps this game would have hit international stores already, but has not. So we are looking at one of those random times on Thursday.

Nintendo just had to do that...

jts

...hate me...
I think it may have been delayed.

In my local App Store all references of December 15th have disappeared in lieu of “Coming Soon!”

LOL Nintendo and Apple are breaking my balls this year.

Hope I’m wrong though.

I love the OT! This is going to absolutely destroy my productivity at work... Can't wait to see if there are any My Nintendo missions in the game.

Yeah but the grip was with two additional joycons so it might be a bit misleading.
Unless they're giving two more joycons with it, which would be awesome but I doubt it.

Either this is a great joke or just plain silly. I'm still inclined to give the serious answer of "that's because the game is coming out tonight".

Is this going to come out on Android later down the line or is it some sort of exclusive deal with Apple?

Android version is coming in 2017, not tentative release window outside of that yet.

maxcriden

*spittake*

So I guess that's confirmed then.

Wellp.

Well, only based on this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1323532

Seemed 100% based on the info in the OP there but if things change I'll edit.

As to the price, they're definitely trying something unexpected here for the market... given the thread I linked to on longevity there should be a good feel of bang for your buck, though, hopefully... though 24 base levels is a bit less than I'd have expected.

jaydogg691

I was going to skip this game after my first impressions with the game. I was going to borrow my bros Mario Maker 3DS copy to get my fix, but now Nintendo decided to lock games to a Nintendo account? Guess I'll drop 10 bones on this thing. Hopefully they fix the stuttering that's present on the demo.

Question: Assuming that it goes up tonight in NZ, would it be possible to download it with a NZ account and then sign back into my NA account to do the iAP for the full game?

I have an Android so I'll have to wait for it to come out on that. Hopefully that means that when is does come to Android, the launch won't be a buggy mess like it usually is for phone games.

The first mobile game I've ever anticipated and the first mobile game I'll have bought since 2008.

Same.

OmegaFax

Is this going to come out on Android later down the line or is it some sort of exclusive deal with Apple?

Android release is in 2017.

Given how Apple and Nintendo are, we'll probably never know the exact terms of the deal but it looks like Nintendo got the spotlight at the September Apple iOS keynote, a few plugs by Tim Cook on his Twitter account, and some in-store demos (and signage?) at Apple Stores in exchange for some timed exclusivity.

It was kind of obvious in Fallon's Nintendo bit last week that Reggie never said "Android" but either "mobile devices" or iPhone/iPad.

Literally every Super Mario Run or mobile thread a lot of people asking about the Android release. It feels like every other post. I don't blame Nintendo for wanting to ride the visibility they've been getting tying this thing in with Apple ... but there seems to be plenty of demand for the Android version.

PSOreo

Been demoing the game at work for customers for the past week. It's a really great game with a surprising amount of replayability and skill. Lots of great hidden things and that's even just the first level! Going to enjoy having this on my own device tomorrow.

maxcriden

Any word on it having having MyNintendo Missions/Platinum Points?

Brain fart, sorry. Will add to OT that we know Toad is a playable character as a MyNintendo reward and I believe we had other indication Platinum point missions are forthcoming or at least that you could use them for your kingdom.

Android version will be out next year.
Android version is coming in 2017, not tentative release window outside of that yet.
Android release is in 2017.

Given how Apple and Nintendo are, we'll probably never know the exact terms of the deal but it looks like Nintendo got the spotlight at the September Apple iOS keynote, a few plugs by Tim Cook on his Twitter account, and some in-store demos (and signage?) at Apple Stores in exchange for some timed exclusivity.

It was kind of obvious in Fallon's Nintendo bit last week that Reggie never said "Android" but either "mobile devices" or iPhone/iPad.

Literally every Super Mario Run or mobile thread a lot of people asking about the Android release. It feels like every other post. I don't blame Nintendo for wanting to ride the visibility they've been getting tying this thing in with Apple ... but there seems to be plenty of demand for the Android version.

Thanks, I haven't been following the news, but I do want to get this when it's out. The Android demand doesn't surprise me at all, this isn't 2008 where every smart phone user had an iPhone. I hope it's early 2017.

MAtgS

Brain fart, sorry. Will add to OT that we know Toad is a playable character as a MyNintendo reward and I believe we had other indication Platinum point missions are forthcoming or at least that you could use them for your kingdom.

One step closer to achievements on Switch.

My son has the only iOS device in the house that is capable of playing this game, but I will still drop money on this in the hopes that Nintendo keeps releasing new games in the future.

Waiting on news of the Android version...

Was really bummed to discover earlier today that, by making the full game an in-app purchase, that most likely blocks the app from being shared through Apple's family sharing. I was really looking forward to sharing this with my fiancé, but I can't justify dropping $20 for both of us to be able to play the game.

Top Bottom