• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda talks about Switch expectations, why they're supporting the platform, future

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There's a lot more in the interview: https://venturebeat.com/2017/09/21/the-switch-and-vr-represent-a-new-audience-for-bethesda/view-all/

Why they tried to make Switch ports:

GamesBeat: There’s probably quite a bit of pent-up demand for something like this on a Nintendo platform.

Hines: We haven’t done anything on a Nintendo platform in forever. Breath of the Wild being the runaway colossal hit that it is, there’s certainly some belief like, “Hey, if you like open-world RPGs where you can explore and do what you want, Skyrim might be a good fit for you.” I don’t know what the exact size is, but some number of people who own Switches have never played Skyrim before. It’s a new thing for them, and for folks who have played the game, the ability to take it on the road—you’re going on a trip or commuting to work, it’s a great time.

And Doom is a completely different kind of game from what everyone else is doing. It’s a very visceral, violent, bloody, fun first-person shooter. We’re excited. They both have their place in what’s going on with that platform.

Expectations:

GamesBeat: With these games on these platforms, what are some of the expectations? Do you think these games can do just as well on Switch as the platforms they’re already launched on?

Hines: Certainly we think they can really well. What that means respective to the installed base or to other stuff—we’re not coming from the same place with Skyrim in terms of, “Everyone on this platform already knows the Elder Scrolls series.” There’s some amount of—this is new to folks. We have to introduce it to them and explain what it is. It’s the same with Doom. There is some crossover, but there’s also a new audience that isn’t sure what these games are. They haven’t played a Doom or a Skyrim. There is some education there as far as, “Here’s why these games are cool and fun.”

The Future:

GamesBeat: Did you have any particular kind of conversation with Nintendo when you proposed this?

Hines: Honestly, it’s been a long series of them. They came out to see us before they unveiled the Switch to show us what the hardware was like, what they were doing with it. We’ve been in constant conversation with them, and not just about the two games we have now, but about our whole approach to the platform going forward – what we can do, best practices, what things are a good fit, what they’re excited about in what we’re doing. We’re obviously excited about these two games, but it’s not as if we’re going to just do these two games and that’s it. We want this to be the start of a relationship that we build with Nintendo and Nintendo fans.

That last quote is really important. Seems like Bethesda finally wants to give Monte do some love and they aren't just doing a quick cash-in. Western 3rd Party support is so important for the Switch to have, and who better to have in your corner than Bethesda and Rockstar?

Interesting that they think there's a large Switch audience that has no crossover with PC/PS4/XB1. I know hardcore gamers like us have our hands in everything but I guess I didn't stop to think about how many exclusively Nintendo/Switch gamers there are out there.

I always knew Bethesda would be the Switches best third party supporter...wait, no i didn't but nice surprise.

Looking forward to Doom since I've never played it

*Guaraná

Banned
Nice:

We’re obviously excited about these two games, but it’s not as if we’re going to just do these two games and that’s it. We want this to be the start of a relationship that we build with Nintendo and Nintendo fans.

This is something I've been talking about basically since March:

Hines: We haven’t done anything on a Nintendo platform in forever. Breath of the Wild being the runaway colossal hit that it is, there’s certainly some belief like, “Hey, if you like open-world RPGs where you can explore and do what you want, Skyrim might be a good fit for you.”

It's such a natural relationship, and it's the #1 reason why the Switch audience is dissimilar to the Wii audience- the Switch audience was brought in mostly by BotW, the Wii audience was brought in mostly by Wii Sports. This directly affects the types of games those people will buy going forward.

Hero

Interesting that they think there's a large Switch audience that has no crossover with PC/PS4/XB1. I know hardcore gamers like us have our hands in everything but I guess I didn't stop to think about how many exclusively Nintendo/Switch gamers there are out there.

Yeah, there is an untapped market of people that only play Nintendo games. So money on the table for the taking and you can see that with what has been successful on the platform so far. Bethesda is going to reap a lot of the rewards/benefits for being the first major third party (alongside Ubisoft) to commit to the platform with their games.

guit3457

Hope they port fallout new vegas. Great times ahead for Switch owners.

If Fallout New Vegas gets ported I see a lot of RPG Codex members buying a Switch lol

The last part of the interview sounds great for the future relationship between both companies.

Nanashrew

Banned
I actually like what I'm reading there on the future. Such a huge turn of events with them two. They both seemed to barely acknowledge each others existence, to now wanting to build a future.

FinalAres

It's all the Nintendo faithfuls, that only buy Nintendo stuffs.

Alright Hines I believe ya...

BUT MY TOMMY GUN DON'T.

d1d780a44fc12f84d39d937c98ab4a07764be03ee1792b33646371f27b09e40f.jpg

We'll see how this partnership goes in 2018.

ryushe

Man, Ubi (a given) and Beth (unexpected) supporting the Switch is all I could've asked for with this platform.

Can't wait for the inevitable Fallout 3/NV/4 port in the future.

openrob

Good to know that this all started because Nintendo approached them.
Nintendo really made smart decisions this time around and it shows.

big_erk

It's such a natural relationship, and it's the #1 reason why the Switch audience is dissimilar to the Wii audience- the Switch audience was brought in mostly by BotW, the Wii audience was brought in mostly by Wii Sports. This directly affects the types of games those people will buy going forward.
You make an excellent point. The hardcore audience on Switch is definitely larger than the Wii and I think it will continue to be this way. The promise of the Switch along with the superb games lineup will keep the system going for the foreseeable future.

totowhoa

Banned

There really is a sizable number of people who are Nintendo, Xbox, or Sony only with no PC -- and it's reasonable to think that it'd be even moreso the case with Nintendo given the longevity and consistency of their core IP. You'll rarely see that here, but one Sony/Nintendo/Xbox console + PC is pretty common. Not a ton of people own (powerful) PCs, sooo... I bet Bethesda isn't wrong. Just gotta get people interested and educated, like he said.

If you had told me that Bethesda would be the Switch's best third party support during the January reveal I would have laughed so hard.

I would have said Capcom would be a better supporter. Here we are and it's a completely different reality.

A company that hasn't touched Nintendo systems like ever.

Ganondolf

Wolfinstien is confirmed and I reckon fallout 4 goty edition will be announced a month or 2 after skyrims release.

The real question is will they release starfield on switch on the same day as the other editions

Oregano

Damn, saying all the right things.

If you had told me that Bethesda would be the Switch's best third party support during the January reveal I would have laughed so hard.

I would have said Capcom would be a better supporter. Here we are and it's a completely different reality.

A company that hasn't touched Nintendo systems like ever.

Square Enix is no.1 and no one else is even close

In sure there's a significant group where this is true, but I'm a gamer who has owned all the systems for like 5 or 6 generations now. I own Doom and Skyrim on current gen consoles, and yet I will buy them again on Switch.

Ever since I was a kid and got my Gameboy, I always dreamed of having console games on a handheld. "Mario 3 on Gameboy would be amazing", I'd say to anyone who's listen. The GBA was the first time I felt like I was playing console games on a handheld, albeit 16bit console games. I ate up ports like LTTP and the Mario Advance series. I begged for Super Metroid and Earthbound ports.

The Switch is a fulfillment of my original dream: current gen console games on a handheld, and it is every bit the game-changer for me that I hoped it would be. So, yes, I'd think many Nintendo gamers have played these games before on other consoles, but we've never played them on a handheld in bed, during a commute, or just plain anywhere. Gone is the shackle of the TV. Portable current gen gaming is very appealing to me, and I'd wager many others as well.

J@hranimo

Banned
Man does this sound good.

Even owning a 360 during those days I didn't touch Skyrim or any of those other Bethesda games so I guess I'm a part of that new demographic. I'll definitely be giving DOOM a purchase Day 1 and will check out the other games they bring.

Pssst....bring Dishonored over ;)

WestEgg

I kind of figured this would be a good way to Trojan Horse in a lot of Bethesda IP to Japan, if the Switch continues to put up 3DS esque numbers.

You make an excellent point. The hardcore audience on Switch is definitely larger than the Wii and I think it will continue to be this way. The promise of the Switch along with the superb games lineup will keep the system going for the foreseeable future.

Yup, this is a different Nintendo console audience. I think we'll see a number of big AAA titles we didn't previously due to strong sales of games like Skyrim and DOOM.

I think Skyrim & Doom will do very well.

They don't really have competition on Switch.

Skyrim has BotW sorta as competition to be fair. Which Pete addresses in that first quote.

But competition when spaced apart like that can be a beneficial and symbiotic thing.

Yeah, but will Doom have to have green blood?

Seeing as we have footage showing normal red blood, the answer is no.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
This interview paints a picture that is so positive and healthy I'm expecting DOOM on Switch to feature an exclusive custom level of Hell that is frozen over.

Mediking

Really glad to see what was said in the interview.

Sounds like Bethesda is very optimistic and happy for Nintendo's Switch success.

The Hermit

I still am not sure if I will double dip Doom, but after seeing how decent it looks, Wolfenstein II is bought for sure.

If they do release New Vegas, my God, that would be awesome. I actually bought it for 5 bucks a couple of months ago, but I barely played my PC since I had the Switch. The last games were Nier and , ironically, Doom.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Sounds promising
But honesty with the three games they officially announced it is obvious that they are at least trying and that possible future games depend only on sales of those three games

Sadist

This is something I've been talking about basically since March:

Well, kudos on Bethesda and Nintendo making it work. It's good to see Nintendo actively seeking out help from third parties and working on this kind of support. I'm happier about the fact that Bethesda isn't taking the wait and see approach bringing over Doom and Wolfenstein II. Honestly, I really don't care for Skyrim, but Doom... yeah, sure, that I'll take.

GDGF

Soothsayer
We're obviously excited about these two games, but it's not as if we're going to just do these two games and that's it. We want this to be the start of a relationship that we build with Nintendo and Nintendo fans.

That's the magic quote right there. I'll buy whatever they put out on the Switch.

Hopefully Fallout 3/New Vegas or Fallout 4 are right around the corner.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
He has the right mindset, it seems. Bethesda really likes to take more risks than other big publishers these days, going all in on Switch and in VR. I hope it really pays off for them. If the market on Switch is as they think it is they have a good chance to cash in strongly, as there is really no competition as of now.

sphinx

the piano man
I wonder if they could do a Evil Within 1 + 2 switch pack in the future.

I want everyone to play that series.

That last quote has such interesting implications to me. It makes me wonder whether or not the Switch's support for Vulkan would have been brought up specifically to entice titles like DOOM coming to the system, or if it was something that was just left on the specs and Bethesda simply picked up on it.

A few months ago I never thought I'd be buying 3 Bethesda games on Switch... here we are, and I'll be getting Skyrim, Doom and Wolfenstein.... Surreal.

Bethesda showing other 3rd parties how proper support looks like.

Renna Hazel

I'll be supporting them with a purchase of Doom, assuming it's an acceptable port. I'm still on the fence with Skyrim, but leaning towards passing on it. I might get Wolfenstein as well.

faint.

That last quote is really important. Seems like Bethesda finally wants to give Monte do some love and they aren't just doing a quick cash-in. Western 3rd Party support is so important for the Switch to have, and who better to have in your corner than Bethesda and Rockstar?

Monte do x Bethesda.

I ship it.

Top Bottom