• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo fixing "gay bug" in Tomodachi Collection: New Life

Hobby

The bug in question, for those not aware, allows for two male characters to fall in love, marry one another, and produce offspring. It doesn't work between female characters, supposedly. The bug can occur when one has Miis that have been moved to the 3DS using the Mii transfer software.

Nintendo are now sending out an update for the game soon that'll fix this bug along with some other issues the game is suffering from including:
- Inability to boot up the game.
- General errors.
- Inability to save.
- Received a notice on the Home menu's notifications from a child sent on a journey, but no actual message is there.

WKKmlvs.jpg

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/ec6j/update/index.html

http://kotaku.com/rumor-bug-makes-gay-marriage-possible-in-nintendo-game-495814333

Beth Cyra

Them having off spring I can completely understand as Two men can't have a baby together.

Them removing the option to be gay kinda shocks me. They have things like Captian Rainbow, Birdo and Tingle and while these aren't flat out homosexuals, they have tons of themes that come across as gay and Nintendo hasn't been big on censoring for a long time despite them having a reputation of doing so.

Why put "gay bug" in quotes when you are the originator of the term since neither the Kotaku article nor Nintendo's notice explicitly call it that?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Them having off spring I can completely understand as Two men can't have a baby together.

Them removing the option to be gay kinda shocks me. They have things like Captian Rainbow, Birdo and Tingle and while these aren't flat out homosexuals, they have tons of themes that come across as gay and Nintendo hasn't been big on censoring for a long time despite them having a reputation of doing so.

It's not an "option" though.

I think they have pills for that.

Or was it an injection?

It's actually a camp, and a whole lot of prayer. (Also deep, deep denial and self-loathing)

It's really too bad. I would have liked to see Nintendo spin this bug into a positive pr move. Get rid of the game breaking issues and pregnancy, but leave the rest. Would have been nice.

Iwata taking things to a whole new level

just kidding

Because gays are only fine as long as they're jokes.

NewFresh

I don't think there was never a gay option in the game. Though it would be great if there was.

The OP says Allows for, so that sounds like it has to be player choosen.

Listen to sprsk, he has actually played the game

GeekyDad

Only thing they really need to do is not allow players to produce offspring -- fixed. Then, they could add adoption as DLC. Win/win.

Beth Cyra

I don't think there was never a gay option in the game. Though it would be great if there was.

Listen to sprsk, he has actually played the game

I see.

Haven't followed New Life honestly. A shame honestly. Was really sad they didn't allow for it in Fire Emblem A, though that had whole gameplay system based around the child from what I read so it was kinda reasonable there.

nekomix

You forget U R MR GAY.

But it's funny coming from Nintendo, that kind of bug...

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Oh boy, I can hear Kotaku typing the article.

First thought that popped into my head!
Tingle is more of the village idiot, like that guy who was pretending to be a samurai in the movie with the blind ronin swordsman.

I don't really get why there's controversy over this. It actually IS a bug. I mean, they should probably patch in homosexual relationships and stuff, but yeah, I'd say it's a bug to have two male characters procreate.

netBuff

I don't really get why there's controversy over this. It actually IS a bug. I mean, they should probably patch in homosexual relationships and stuff, but yeah, I'd say it's a bug to have two male characters procreate.

It's clear why there's a controversy: By fixing this bug they are actively calling attention to the fact that Nintendo released a "life simulator" game in 2013 that doesn't take homosexuality into account.

The pregnancy makes since but the rest probably has more to do with it being a game for all ages in Japan.

Why would the presence of homosexual relations make any difference on whether the game is considered "all ages" or not?

It seems Nintendo really loves generating bad PR, practically every move they make is designed to draw the ire of the public.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Well, you've misunderstood me and have construed my statements as... I don't know what or, there is a joke that I've missed. In which case, enlighten me.

A "bug" is commonly referred to something you can catch, usually making you sick...

and when you're sick you take pills...

And no, I did not misunderstand you. I am well aware of said camps.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Why would the presence of homosexual relations make any difference on whether the game is considered "all ages" or not?

Some ignorant people don't want kids to learn that homosexuals and/or homosexual relationships exist. It's mostly a thing in Amurica.

Beth Cyra

It's clear why there's a controversy: By fixing this bug they are actively calling attention to the fact that Nintendo released a "life simulator" game in 2013 that doesn't take homosexuality into account.

Yeah, even more so when the Sims is already on the Platform. Different culters and all I guess, still while I'm not about to scream Homophobs, or whatever I was honestly just a little surprised that Gays/Lesbians isn't an option.

A "bug" is commonly referred to something you can catch...

and when you're sick you take pills...

And the "real life" thing that people do that they think can "cure" gay people, is to send them to religious camp. I got your joke. I was making fun of reality. I don't think you got mine.

Top Bottom