• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've got my copy scheduled for delivery tomorrow, can't wait. I've been looking forward to this since Arnie Roth let it's existence slip accidentally back in 2015.

Bluenoser

Who said it was false? I'll be playing mine in 45 minutes so I'll check it out then.

In all honestly, if it was false, it was probably an oversight from trying to finish the game as quickly as possible for the review.

Everyone on gamefaqs who already has the game, and are saying this is 100% not an option. But yeah, shouldn't be hard to verify at this point... many people already have the game.

Link_enfant

The regular edition contains the new and original soundtracks. The special edition includes the *CD* soundtrack, which is a slightly more advanced version of the PS2 original. Soo, there's three versions of the score overall.

Oh, I see! Thanks for the clarification.
Was really confusing at first but everything's fine.

do you need to use all 6 people at some point?

or is it ok to leave 3 people un-leveled?

While you can stick with 3 people for practically the entire game, it's worth keeping all 6 levelled/well-equipped.

The nice thing about the way parties work is that you're only wiped out when all 6 characters are defeated. If say the first 3 get wiped out, you can use the reserves to restore the frontline, then rotate them back in.

Plus with the job system, you'll likely want to change characters around, depending on the dungeon/boss.

Unrelated but worth mentioning: You can change your equipment at practically any time.

If you know a boss is about to do a certain element-affinity attack, you can switch to a particular piece of armor to reduce damage. Not everyone is going to appreciate the micro-managing, but it can be very useful.

Alric

Anyone stick with a single party? It's been a while since I played the english translation of FFXII Zodiac, but I'm pretty sure I stuck with a single party once I was able to. Is there ever really a reason to swap between 2 groups?

EDIT - well nevermind it was answered right about me.

While you can stick with 3 people for practically the entire game, it's worth keeping all 6 levelled/well-equipped.

The nice thing about the way parties work is that you're only wiped out when all 6 characters are defeated. If say the first 3 get wiped out, you can use the reserves to restore the frontline, then rotate them back in.

Plus with the job system, you'll likely want to change characters around, depending on the dungeon/boss.

Gyoru

Everyone on gamefaqs who already has the game, and are saying this is 100% not an option. But yeah, shouldn't be hard to verify at this point... many people already have the game.

To add to the confirmation, here's a twitch clip I just made from someone who has the game early.

https://clips.twitch.tv/EvilCuriousDonutAMPEnergyCherry

fhHO3Zd.jpg

No original boards. There isn't an option at the start of a New Game where you toggle it either.

_Ryo_

Gonna continue playing on PS2 for now and wait for a price drop... I'm still allowed to post thoughts and stuff in here, right? haha

Son Of D

This is the only one I can find online right now:

Anyone have an early copy they can take a screengrab for us?

jobselectionbwb62.jpg

Also to OP, I had these images ready if you wanted to include them in the OT:

Standard, Limited and Collector's Edition Images:

Vaan's New Abs for the FAQ. Included this since the title I was going to make was "When Abs <50% use Remaster":

Pre-Order Theme:

OmegaDL50

I'd say the plot sort of lacks that world-threatening element present in every FF. Like, I get why Vayne is a villain, but aside from that I never got the overarching threat to the world. I know it's not a requirement, but it's present in every FF before and after it, so it just felt like the stakes were greatly lessened to me. Does that make any sense?

It's not that sort of game though. In fact FF12 in general is a smaller in scope because the story is mainly political. It's about Dalmasca having it's independence between an overall larger threat of two much larger nations of Rozaria and Archadia.

It was never about saving the world from some ancient super big bad. It's just conflict of a small nation being oppressed from a neighboring nation trying to aggressively expand its territory. Which in the scope is still a small all things compared to much larger world of Ivalice in whole.

Making FF12 be another "save the world" sort of thing wouldn't have made the game better in the context of the story. The only feasible way this would make sense if
the Occuria decided to destroy the world they created.
The game doesn't give any good reason for this happen either.

Bluenoser

To add to the confirmation, here's a twitch clip I just made from someone who has the game early.

https://clips.twitch.tv/EvilCuriousDonutAMPEnergyCherry

No original boards. There isn't an option at the start of a New Game where you toggle it either.

Thanks for confirming. I can only assume Kat misunderstood what they meant by "choose a board".

It would be a nightmare for the development team to balance the game for both types of license boards, so when I saw this, I knew there had to be a mistake.

Ourobolus

Banned
Think I'll go with:

Vaan - Monk/White Mage
Balthier - Red Mage/Time Mage
Fran - Hunter/Knight
Bash - Machinist/Breaker
Ashe - Samurai/Uhlan
Penelo - Black Mage/Archer

Same as my IZJS team but without the second jobs. Should amp Vaan's Curaja to an acceptable level, and everyone should get 3 Swiftness. Gotta take a look at the Espers/Quickenings, but considering I got what I wanted with IZJS with that party, it shouldn't be a problem.

I hope I didn't fuck up by making Vaan a monk.

Not a chance. He kicked ass in my IZJS team.

ranmafan

So excited this is finally here. Probably my second favorite Final Fantasy, just behind VI, and one of my all time favorite video games ever. Getting a remaster of this, as well as The X/X2 remastered we got a few years back were dream remakes for me (still hoping and wishing for a full fledged VI and VIII remake/remaster one day). Was such a special title for me when I played it back in the summer of 2006. So many great memories of that adventure. Loved everything about it from the world, to the characters, music, and especially the gameplay. I got to play a bit of the the international zodiac job system version at its release, but never got to finish it due to other things getting in the way at the time. So it's so nice to finally be able to go back and play this game again with all those improvements and a few new ones. I just hope I can finish it before Dragon Quest XI comes out later this month, cause that will take over my gaming time fully once it's released. But even if I don't it's going to be one heck of a great month for RPGs for me!

Your only issue is that Balthier is a terrible mage. He can work as a machinist/white mage, but he has low MP and his low magic means he misses constantly.

Think I'll go with:

Vaan - Monk/White Mage
Fran - Hunter/Knight
Bash - Machinist/Breaker
Ashe - Samurai/Uhlan

Same as my IZJS team but without the second jobs. Should amp Vaan's Curaja to an acceptable level, and everyone should get 3 Swiftness. Gotta take a look at the Espers/Quickenings, but considering I got what I wanted with IZJS with that party, it shouldn't be a problem.

Ourobolus

Banned
Your only issue is that Balthier is a terrible mage. He can work as a machinist/white mage, but he has low MP and his low magic means he misses constantly.

I'm primarily using him for buffs, so it doesn't matter as much. There's always Charge/Ethers for the MP.

jobselectionbwb62.jpg

Also to OP, I had these images ready if you wanted to include them in the OT:

Standard, Limited and Collector's Edition Images:

Vaan's New Abs for the FAQ. Included this since the title I was going to make was "When Abs <50% use Remaster":

Pre-Order Theme:
Mate, you alright?

The OT is plan B just in case you went on a longer sabbatical. I'll add those later sure!

If you have made some titles images to use I'll replace them and credit them to you if you want to.

Super excited to play this again!! Still waiting for Amazon to ship my copy though ...

I'm a little stressed about what jobs to choose, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Never played past the initial city. But I'm hype to fight thing. Especially the staples of the series like

Cactuar
Tonberry
Behemoth
Mandragora

OmegaDL50

She did the review for USGamer.

I'm conflicted. On one hand the new Zodiac Grid sounds great.

On the other I LOVED making my characters overpowered as hell.

Interesting enough with the Job system it's actually the opposite.

Vanilla FFXII license board had only 5 magic lores and 5 battle lores. Zodiac Age has a maximum of 16 of each, depending on the job. There are new ultimate weapons in most weapon categories, and many pieces of equipment had their stats adjusted. In short, while the job system makes you more specialized, the tradeoff is you are potentially much stronger.

Chairhome

With the new way that Mists work now, will that keep me from breaking the game? I was able to get through most of the tough fights in the original game by chaining Mist attacks.

This is pretty much my favorite post snes FF. Hope it holds up.

Bluenoser

Fuckin shit. :(
They at least have chocobos and moogles right?

Chocobos, yes.
Wild and tame, friend and foe

Moogles, yes, however,
they are a race, like any other, not cute, floating dolls.

Should I look up on how to get the Zodiac Spear again? I do not want to miss it.

It can't be missed now. It's 100% chance in a chest that has a rare chance to spawn. You may want to look up whether to have diamond armlet equipped or not though, as that could affect it.

Niks

Mate, you alright?

The OT is plan B just in case you went on a longer sabbatical. I'll add those later sure!

If you have made some titles images to use I'll replace them and credit them to you if you want to.

Op maybe you should add the gamefaqs links to job selection info/suggestions. Pretty useful stuff.

Rizzi

Think I'll go with:

Vaan - Monk/White Mage
Fran - Hunter/Knight
Bash - Machinist/Breaker
Ashe - Samurai/Uhlan

Woo! Now to decide what jobs every single other party member gets. Decisions!

They sure do

final-fantasy-xii-20061027031439364-000.jpg

Cuuuuuute!!!

Chocobos, yes.
Wild and tame, friend and foe

Moogles, yes, however,
they are a race, like any other, not cute, floating dolls.

It can't be missed now. It's 100% chance in a chest that has a rare chance to spawn. You may want to look up whether to have diamond armlet equipped or not though, as that could affect it.

Good to know. Thank you! Looking forward to some Pro enhanced goodness.

FinalAres

I really liked the combinations they used in that video they posted a while ago. It felt like the 'canon' jobs setup. But now I can't find the video, anyone know what I'm talking about. The set up was roughly...

Vaan - Hunter / ???
Penelo - White Mage / Monk
Ashe - Time Mage / Red Mage
Basch - Knight / Uhlan
Balthier - Machinist / ???
Fran - Archer / Black Mage

yunbuns

I still kind of hate how there's not even an option to use the license boards like they were in the original similar to how the X remaster didn't force you to used the expert sphere grid. Oh well I guess.

Top Bottom