• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Deadly Premonition that good?

People like to say "so bad it's good", but it's not that at all. That implies that the badness is funny or endearing, and that that is why people like it.

The parts of Deadly Premonition that are good are truly, genuinely good.

The parts of Deadly Premonition that are bad are truly, genuinely bad.
I would say it's more of a mix. A lot of the game is genuinely fantastic, but stuff like "You're one crazy guy." falls under so-bad-it's-good.

If you have good enough taste to realize that smart quest design, pacing, storytelling, world-building, atmosphere, outside-the-box thinking, and a strong authorial voice are what make a game good rather than framerate or shooting controls, then yeah, you'll love it.

If you have good enough taste to realize that smart quest design, pacing, storytelling, world-building, atmosphere, outside-the-box thinking, and a strong authorial voice are what make a game good rather than framerate or shooting controls, then yeah, you'll love it.
1398.gif

Sharp indeed!

vocab

Pc port is god awful. The games pretty interesting but both the pc and ps3 ports are some of the worst shit in gaming. The company that ported them are complete pieces of shit.

Futaleufu

It was amusing to see so many celebrity rip offs in the game. I remember Naomi Watts, Lemmy, Adrien Brody, John Goodman and Kim Basinger.

The gameplay is complete trash though, cars handle like boats, combat is never challenging or rewarding. And the quality of the PC port is terrible, i don't think you can complete it without installing fan patches, and even then it will crash often.

"I've created a gourmet 5 star meal, but you have to go out into the swamp and eat it while sitting on a log."

I've actually been meaning to play it lately, but I was wondering if I should go with the PS3 release, or the PC release. Are crashes relentless in the latter? I think bad framerate would be the lesser of two evils (and I'm kind of used to that with my PS3, anyways). I've also been looking for PS Move impressions, since I hear DP's mouse support is awful, and having working 1:1 cursor control would be neat.

DP is a genuinely great game and even its combat is more mediocre than outright awful, mainly because infinite use weapons are easily found that trivialize combat.

Dee Dee

Holy shit get ready to drive cars for hours.
There's some convoluted side quest nest to unfold to let you unlock some form of fast travel, which is probably the only way to get through this game without punching through a monitor or seriously doubting your life choices.
And don't worry, you'll have more than enough time before you get to that point to properly drive 20min to your next quest marker with a map that won't zoom out, using your wipers and the indicator like the good cop you are, listening to the main characters furious external monologues about crappy 80s movies.

It's quite the experience.
Also that bonkers ending.
It's the best worst game ever made, but I couldn't really recommend anyone to actually play it, when you can check out great Let's Plays of it.

StoneFox

It would have made a better QTE-style game like D4, but it had great writing, which means if you really can't stand the gameplay, an LPer of your choice is fine.

robotrock

Banned
People like to say "so bad it's good", but it's not that at all. That implies that the badness is funny or endearing, and that that is why people like it.

Yup completely agree with this. I think people can go look at D4 and see that Swery knew what he was doing with DP too.

It's one of those games that I adore because of its flaws. The combat is godawful. It's like a parody of RE4 combat. But the characters, the writing, the story and even the fucking bonkers ending are all so charming and enjoyable that you can't help but have a good time. And the soundtrack is a fucking mindfuck of weirdly placed music.

And York is the best. His driving dialog is like a pure distillation of the creators' imagination and honesty when making this game.

in this game?

lol

Chemi_ro

Neo Member
Yes it is worth playing! The gameplay is terrible but the characters, small details, and plot totally make up for it. It is one of my all time favorite games. If you are having any trouble playing check out my beginner's guide over on my fansite.

If you get frustrated and don't feel like playing you should definitely watch one of the numerous LP's of the game as the story is a one hell of a ride. I really enjoyed Giant Bomb's Endurance run and Supegreatfriend's LP myself. I've actually started a LP of the director's cut of my own if you are interested in watching a long time fan play and discuss the game's secrets and development along the way :)

BTW if you have any trouble getting the game to run on your PC try the fixes listed on the PC Gaming Wiki

The game is running pretty smoothly on my own PC atm and these are the fixes I made:

- I have DP fix installed
- The game is in Windows 98 / Windows Me compatibility mode
- I launch the game directly from the dp.exe (never the launcher)
- I also have used this 4GB patch to make dp.exe aware of large addresses so it doesn't crash after like an hour of playing.

@SeymourScagnetti Woah thanks for plugging my site :D

Djostikk

Okay, I played it for like 3-5 hours, had some troubles at the beginning, but now it's working so far. And gotta say I'm loving it, gameplay is not that bad as I expected. I guess I need to get used to that GAF likes to exaggerate things.

GrayChild

One of my favorite games ever. And yes, even the gameplay and driving are not THAT bad as most people would want you to believe.

kubev

I think Deadly Premonition's method of telling its story is really interesting, and the game's full of charming, quirky characters. Deadly Premonition is at its best when you're exploring town, talking to (or spying on) the townspeople. The investigating is pretty clunky and feels overly contrived, and the combat can be pretty tedious, but I think Deadly Premonition is definitely worth experiencing. It does a really good job of guiding you through the main story on a pretty base level, but you can dig deeper by engaging with the townspeople in-between various missions in order to fill in the gaps.

I hope this eventually gets added to Xbox One backwards compatibility. I hate the new cutscenes that were added in the Director's Cut that was released on other platforms. They ruin the flow of the storyline, in my opinion.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
As as game it's shite but it has load of charm. The ending is batshit crazy. Believe me, nothing can prepare you for it. Wonder what Swery was smoking.

Dibbs

Great atmosphere, horrible gameplay, but interesting nonetheless if you're into Twin Peaks, X-Files etc...

My save game file (PS3) was fucked up thanks to that awful key item-bug, 15 hours of game time down the drain, thanks...

iMerc

this is one of those games that you play for the 'experience' and the story. the tone & atmosphere here is fantastic.
the gameplay is quite cumbersome however. in certain parts it's outright terrible.

and yet, it's one of my personal favourite games of the generation. i'm also a fan of twin peaks and 'quirky' character in games.
deadly premonition has that in spades.

Widge

I've only played the intro on PC and it is a technical mess. But the way everyone goes "arrrrghhhhhhhh" when they die is hilarious!

Jokab

I've only watched the Giant Bomb endurance run, and I found myself skipping a lot of the combat later on. The combat really looks god awful, but the story is worth it.

I love every one of its flaws. Sue me.

It's different because you can tell that the people working on it truly cared for what they were making even if a lot of it didn't turn out so well.

Bl@de

- The action segments are terrible
- Controls and animations are bad
- Driving is terrible
- Runs like crap even with Durantes fixes (DPfix). Starts at high FPS and gets choppier and choppier with time. Some kind of memory leak. And at some point it refused to launch.
- Music loops every 10 seconds and audio mixing is abysmal

+ Charming characters
+ Great story
+ Fantastic music and you will whistle along while playing

The best 4/10 I've ever played

Jintor

i would classify it as 'terrible but fascinating'.

my strongest gameplay impression is that every time i got into a car the brakes would activate and create an uncontrollable screeching sound as well as rendering every car nigh unhandleable.

SPCTRE

The terrible driving wouldn't bother me, I liked the Mako.

What gets me is the combat in that game, especially the corridor trap segments.

The pacing in DP is excellent. The timing on
the murders/incidents
is impeccable. They're spaced out enough to get the full impact from each one, but frequent enough that you never really feel like the game is wasting your time.

the fact the game forces you to endure long stretches of its trash gunplay to get to said story sequences is the problem

C.Mongler

The gameplay is horrid but the story is quite entertaining. It's almost better to watch a Let's Play of it honestly, the gameplay can become a slog at times, and you basically are just enduring it to fill time between cutscenes.

SomTervo

It's one of my favorite games, but you should definitely read a Beginner's Guide before starting it to avoid some annoyances.

http://shshatteredmemories.com/greenvale/ is a great site if you want to learn or read up on stuff (spoilers are hidden or marked around the site)

Some tips:

-Play it on Easy, the enemies are weaker then. The combat is the worst thing about the game and you want to get through these sections as fast as possible.

-Get some items as soon as possible via Side Quests. Especially the Radio (arguably the most important one, allows fast traveling), Infinite Weapons (SMG, Wrench) and the Weather Doll

-Use the flamethrower for the Crawling Shadows, the most annoying enemies in the game

I'll copy the rest from an IGN post since I'm lazy:

- Run at doors while pressing the "open" button. This does the fast door animation and not the slow "peek around the door" one.

- Press the Back button when acquiring items and entering/exiting your car to skip said animations.

- Don't feel pressured to rush from one Main Quest to the next. If someone tells you that you have to be at a location by a certain time (say, at the Diner between 12pm - 4pm), you can totally blow it off and just show up 24 hours later without penalty.

- Use downtime to do side quests. People on your map have a notepad over their head when they have an available side quest. Not only do you get good items, more importantly you experience some deep and interesting/bizarre back-stories on the town's inhabitants. This is why you're playing the game...the utterly unique story/characters.

Have fun!

Amazing post, wish I'd read it before I played.

I still enjoyed it, but on Hard, without doing many side quests or the radio... It was a slog about 2/3rds of the time.

Its an incredible expereince, even more if you are fan of twin peaks.
It has crappy gameplay though (some fantastic ideas of how the characters interact in the town) but movement and some other things are bad.
Even with the Durante fix it exploded in my PC around every 2 hours. I remember playing 720 windowed and having task manager open becuase I knew when it got near 3gigabytes of memory usage (basically every loading screen adds to that) the game booted to desktop so i knew when to save the game lol

You do need to follow the items fast guide for a more enjoyable experience.

I got 100% achivements, and thats only becuase I loved it so much.

TissueBox

Okay, I played it for like 3-5 hours, had some troubles at the beginning, but now it's working so far. And gotta say I'm loving it, gameplay is not that bad as I expected. I guess I need to get used to that GAF likes to exaggerate things.

Glad you're digging it. If you could tolerate its jank early on, then you may be roped in by that to come..!

Dryk

The combat is worthless, was put into the game for marketing reasons, and was lifted straight out of the early 2000s. BUT, as you're okay with it after the first few hours you should be good to play the whole thing. Congratulations OP and welcome to the club.

Gameplay: garbage
Experience: one of a kind
Recommendation: Play it.

Great atmosphere, horrible gameplay, but interesting nonetheless if you're into Twin Peaks, X-Files etc...

Pretty much all of this. I enjoyed a lot like lots of people but then, of course:
Tried to play it due the gaf hype. Got as far as driving round the town and turned that shit off. Game was bad.
you need to see through its absolute ugliness and clunkyness

As the history goes, it get better and better

Edit: how appropriate that this post made me 'member"!

nachum00

Yup the gameplay is more boring than outright bad.
And the story and characters are so good that it's not even an issue.

Fox Mulder

It has heart and charm. Especially if you love stuff like twin peaks.

The game looks dated and has clunky gameplay, but it's tolerable if you fall in love with everything else.

Top Bottom