• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else playing Botw and wish for trophies???

Kssio_Aug

Also, I don't understand what makes people think that trophies are more pointless than, for example, in-game side-quests.

Trophies are like new objectives given to you; an extension of your gameplay by giving you challanges; which you may or may not subject yourself to since they're entirely optional. They're not story connected but they don't need to be to still be fun to accomplish.

Some trophies are ridiculously hard indeed, and some are plain stupid, but there are many trohpies that are worth the time spent and that really helps you explore more the game and take the most benefit of it.

Having a "badge" in your profile telling what you accomplished in each game you played is sometimes very pleasing.

And I think we should stop pretending such a feeling is stupid since the whole point of playing games IS that sense of accomplishments... everyone loves to tell what they managed to do in their games (if they got all the secrets, if they managed to beat that hard boss, and if they got that special weapon), and nothing of it is more real or less real than getting trophies or achievements.

kunonabi

The game was enough of a chore to 100% as it is so I'm fine with no acheivements/stamps to add more meaningless hours to the play time.

So long as you can turn them off crack on

I'm tired of the achievement game

I just want to play

And I barely have enough time for that

fvng

By providing artificial and meaningless goals.

So the trophy in Vanquish that requires 100% mastery of the game mechanics and absolute precision is a meaningless and artificial goal? This is why I can't take these bullshit anti-achievement posts serously

No, the game is much more rewarding in itself than a trophy unlock has ever been.
Not to me!
Getting the Platinum trophy in Silent Hill 3 HD, an easy feat from a broken game, was one of my most rewarding gaming achievements. Not because of the effort taken, but for the fact that I combed through the entirety of one of my favorite games of all time and I had a reward to show everyone for my troubles. Considering that I think Silent Hill 3 is easily better than Breath of the Wild on its own merits, getting every trophy for it was a very fulfilling experience.

It is but after having done all the dungeons, the memories,exploring the entire map, a lot of shrines( I'm at 80+ ) atm I'm getting a little bored getting the same weapons/arrows from chests and places over and over. Trophies could have extended the challenge made the game even more rewarding after even hundred hours spent.
I feel similarly to this, especially on the repetition part. It's exhausting seeing the same things over and over in BOTW, and trophies would 100% make my goal oriented approach more adamant in achieving what the world wants to set me out to do.

tengiants

So the trophy in Vanquish that requires 100% mastery of the game mechanics and absolute precision is a meaningless and artificial goal? This is why I can't take these bullshit anti-achievement posts serously

Record a video and show it to YouTube. That's a meaningful achievement.

MUnited83

For you.
"Oh no this very dear character is about to die! Cue to the tense music! Cue to the great camera work! Closeuppppp...

DING! "Achievement unlocked: Dramatic Scene!"

And that 6 figures budget for writing, modelling, animating, directing that scene went instantly into the shitter.

And this is basically why I disable achievement instantly on every platform. Tip of the hat to Nintendo for not even attempting this behavioral-conditioning nonsense.
Oh yes, because Zelda has no collectibles or percentage tracker, of course.

Okay, so it's not fun for you. Got it. But maybe it's fun to someone else, and pushes them to spend more time and master a game they would have otherwise put down sooner. Why is it bad to have the option, where you get to turn it off, and others can dick around with it if they like?

this is coming from someone who couldn't give less of a fuck about achievements btw.

although I do value them as a "log" of how much of a game a friend has played, enabling me to be able to talk to them more in depth about a game we may have both played extensively and not known otherwise.

They didn't ask me what I thought others thought of it. They asked if I wished for achievements, I said no and gave my reason why.

I love the Holy Sanctity Of Nintendo according to its fans. Eww don't put that smelly trophies in my Nintendo games. You know and I know that if there was a Nintendo Trophy/Achievement equivalent it would be accepted just as the others systems have. You can turn notifications for them off for heaven's sake smh

We would see 100% Completed Zelda Trophy Lists from the people who are all eww no Trophy's are beneath me. I give no fucks about Trophy's or Achievements except when it's a game I really really like as they can extend your enjoyment of said game. I say again though you can turn off the pop up's of them and therefore keep intact your Pure Nintendo unsullied.

This is not meant to be insulting by the way :D

fvng

Record a video and show it to YouTube. That's a meaningful achievement.

this is nonsense. whether you record it or have an emblem that proves you accomplished it, makes zero difference. it doesn't change the fact that you nailed a very difficult goal, you guys are really reaching.

tengiants

I love the Holy Sanctity Of Nintendo according to its fans. Eww don't put that smelly trophies in my Nintendo games. You know and I know that if there was a Nintendo Trophy/Achievement equivalent it would be accepted just as the others systems have. You can turn notifications for them off for heaven's sake smh

We would see 100% Completed Zelda Trophy Lists from the people who are all eww no Trophy's are beneath me. I give no fucks about Trophy's or Achievements except when it's a game I really really like as they can extend your enjoyment of said game. I say again though you can turn off the pop up's of them and therefore keep intact your Pure Nintendo unsullied.

This is not meant to be insulting by the way :D

Okay so this is a stealth console wars thread after all, and not a thread on game design. I'm out.

Why in the world do you even have the game notify you/care about them? You can hide all that information easily.

Yeah. If you don't like them then just ignore them and poof it's like they don't even exist.

It's really sad that Nintendo still haven't adopted a trophy system. But it's also completely typical of them. Oh well, it's gonna hurt their multi platform game sales for sure but that's what they get.

breakfuss

There's a reason why they've been standard practice in pretty much every video game except Nintendo for the past decade. People really do seem to enjoy them.

Lol they're 'standard' because Sony and Microsoft require them to be.

this is a meaningless post since it's not a response to anything I said

It was more a comment on the lengths people are willing to go to champion their trophiez.

Interfectum

Lol they're "standard" because Sony and Microsoft require them to be.

Nintendo added Game Center and Google Play achievements to Super Mario Run. They aren't against achievements. They will most likely add an achievement / awards system to Switch down the line.

They are 'standard' because people find them fun. It's cool information to have and compare with friends.

I think of cheevos like that unnecessary application sitting in my system tray. It might not be taking up much in terms of resources, but there's something system level that is listening for the game to send it a cheevo message, and that's a waste. I want my game system to be 100% playing games. I know that ship has sailed because every system has an OS you can back out to so memory overhead is always going to be a thing now, the cost of progress I guess. But yeah, that's why I don't care about them.

Kssio_Aug

I just did a few posts back. Getting korok seed for increasing inventory space. That's a meaningful achievement.

I agree that in-game challanges that change your gameplay somehow is meaningful (as it affects the game itself). But there are games which offer you little secrets that won't necessarily revert in any "meaningful" unlock to your gamepay experience (i.e.: beating Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts 1) but still people like to go after them.

What I mean is that everything you do on a game is just meaningful cause you allowed them to be. Beating a game campaign or getting good at a multiplayer is only meaningful cause you enjoy doing it. With trophies / achievements that's no different... they're there for fun and for the accomplishment feeling most players seek, and since they're entirely optional that's a good thing you can just seek for the badges you believe are worth to get in the games you think are worth to play.

I'm not a trophy / achievement hunter. I don't buy a game just cause they have it or do not play other games cause they may not have it (I have a 3DS and love it's games). But I do think they add an extra and entirley optional experience in your games as well as serving as some nice statistics.

Sometimes I play a game once without even thinking about the trophies / achievements, but after I beat it I take a look at the list, and in some cases I find myself very interested in replaying just to seek some platinum trophies that seems fun to get. As an example: I finished Uncharted 2 and 3, two or three times each in different difficulty options, and I would not subject myself to it if there wasn't extra objectives (which were provided by the trophies). Replaying them as trying to beat that given challange was a very fun and "meaningful" experience to me. In the other hand, I looked at Killzone 2 trophy list back then, and said: "no fucking way I'm gonna try it". In other words: between other utilities, trophies can increase replay value, and that's up to you to try getting them or not.

NimbusD

Maybe after the endgame it would be cool to have that or quests that ask for trophy-like achievements.

But it'd be annoying during the game to have to worry about that shit, there's already so much to do.

fvng

tumblr_lwudgwhIJv1qh87wbo1_1280.jpg

Okay so this is a stealth console wars thread after all, and not a thread on game design. I'm out.

It wasn't my intention but yeah now you mention it you are right it is at a Console Level. I don't care what you play games on. Makes no difference to me. The question of BOTW having Trophies is inherently at the Console Design Level so I took it such. I say again makes no difference to me what you play games on. I am 100% sure though it would be fine if Nintendo had a Trophy System. BOTW would still be a magnificent game even if it had a fun little jingle and pop up saying - You tamed a Wild Horse - 5 Mario Coins! Hurrah.

bs135

Personally I can't stand trophies but I get why others do enjoy them. What I can't understand are people who refuse to play excellent games simply because they lack trophies. That does not compute for me.

breakfuss

Nintendo added Game Center and Google Play achievements to Super Mario Run. They aren't against achievements. They will most likely add an achievement / awards system to Switch down the line.

They are 'standard' because people find them fun. It's cool information to have and compare with friends.

I disagree. I think Nintendo is against an OS level achievement system. Otherwise they would have put one in by now. Miiverse is far more robust than anything the other platforms have offered. It doesn't foster the kind of environment they want on their platforms and I applaud them for it.

Mario Run is about high scores and competition so it makes perfect sense to implement it there. I've got no problem with that. But BotW? Nah.

Takat

I'm not a fan of trophies. Granted, I only play Nintendo and Steam. But I found the trophies in steam popping up annoying, and redundant. I don't get any satisfaction in completing something obscure.

Two days ago, I returned to Zelda after beating Ganon and spending more than 200 hours in the game. I returned to finish the Archery and Riding mini games (I wanted all Briddle and Saddles). And on the way to do that, I found areas I've never been in. That was my reward. Finding more Koroks, and an area of enemies after 200 hours in the game I've never been to. That's rewarding.

Interfectum

I disagree. I think Nintendo is against an OS level achievement system. Otherwise they would have put one in by now.

That's projecting because you are biased against achievements.

The Switch OS is missing a lot of basic functionality which means the omission of an achievement system could be a sign of the Switch/OS coming in hot instead of them leaving it out intentionally. They don't even have My Nintendo rewards setup for any of their Switch games yet.

cclittle

Neo Member
I don't get the resistance to trophies/achievements. They're there for those that want them, and can also be ignored (notifications turned off) for those that don't. They don't make the game worse for those that dislike them, but increase enjoyment in games for those that want them. And it's not like they affect game design.

This a thousand times. Also yes, I really wish Switch had trophies. They are just fun. Imagine them for virtual console! Gah.

breakfuss

That's projecting because you are biased against achievements.

The Switch OS is missing a lot of basic functionality which means the omission of an achievement system could be a sign of the Switch/OS coming in hot instead of them leaving it out intentionally. They don't even have My Nintendo rewards setup for any of their Switch games yet.

How am i projecting? They've had years to put one in and haven't. Miiverse did a lot of cool (and seemingly more complicated) things but omitted...achievements. Appears deliberate if you ask me.

Pretty much every game on Steam and all Blizzard games have them too. Achievements go far and beyond console gaming.

They're not a requirement on Steam. I actually appreciate how unobtrusive they are on Steam. They aren't shoved down your throat.

fvng

Personally I can't stand trophies but I get why others do enjoy them. What I can't understand are people who refuse to play excellent games simply because they lack trophies. That does not compute for me.

As a trophy advocate, I definitely agree with that as well. That's fucking insanity.

XandBosch

I'm almost done with zelda botw, have a few more things sidequests to do before going to fight ganon but this entire playthrough I can't stop thinking how much more I would enjoy this game if it had trophies :(

Like there is so much cool stuff to discover in this game and each time I discover someting neat I wish there was a trophy for it. Usually when I play a game I also like to check my progress by looking at the trophies for the game and or looking at a friends trophies and see if they got certain trophies I managed to get or didn't get, and compare and stuff, with Botw many times i wish I could see if other people on my friend list also managed to discover something that I just did like idk mounting a lynel something I discovered late in the game.

Man its such a bummber to me that nintendo still hasn't put in a trophy/achievements in their system :(

This generation vs mine I suppose. I didn't grow up playing games with trophies and couldn't give two shits about them now. Sure they're nice, but do they affect my enjoyment of a game? Hell no. I understand why people like them, but to say "how much more I would enjoy this game" seems ridiculous to me.

Malice215

Trophies are good for some games. Adding trophies to BotW wouldn't do much to add on to the experience that's already available to you in the game organically.

I don't have an issue if Nintendo added an achievement/trophy system at the system level. Personally it would be nice if they did something that was tied to their MyNintendo reward system, but in general the majority of trophies/achievements are pointless except to those who use them as e-dick measuring contests, and I stopped caring once games started handing out trophies just for booting the game up while others hack their game saves to earn difficult ones. I don't need more of that.

I also feel that the unique things that Nintendo has done like Miiverse have been far more valuable and talked about than any system level achievement system. There's more people who are disappointed at the lack of Miiverse on the Switch than the lack of achievements.

This a thousand times. Also yes, I really wish Switch had trophies. They are just fun. Imagine them for virtual console! Gah.

They'll probably go the same route as PS2 games on the PS4 where people hate that the games cost more and take longer to release because it takes time to implement trophies in each game. I also haven't anyone who enjoys rebuying the same games they bought previously on PS3 just because it has trophies.

Kurdel

Banned
Wow, didn't expect all this negativity towards trophies.

It would have been a really cool addition, I am sure Nintendo's achievement design would be on point.

Kssio_Aug

This I agree as well.

There are two extremes which I can't uderstand: those that are strongly against such a optional and harmless feature that does nothing but add to the player experience; and those that only play games because of it.

It surprises me how some people sometimes says things like: "Okay, the game seems horrible, but since it's an easy plat I will get it anyway" (have read some of these in The Order 1886 threads - not that I'm saying it is a bad game though). And that's craziness to me.

StarPhlox

By providing artificial and meaningless goals.

Agree 100%. I play BotW and the last thing I want is a notification breaking the immersion with a banner reading "What Are You, Chicken?!" [Hit a cuckoo 100 times]

Oh...38% of other people have also done this arbitrary thing. Cool.

In many ways, Nintendo is behind industry standards. However, this is one thing I'm glad they never jumped on. It is so embarrassing when I was watching Hulu on my XBO and after a few episodes of Seinfeld a banner popped up giving me 25 points for being a "Binge Watcher." Just awful.

The last thing I want is more achievements and trophies. They actively detract from the experience.

They're not a requirement on Steam. I actually appreciate how unobstrusice they are on it.

I didn't say it was a requirement. I said that all the games pretty much have them.

How appreciative are you that you can turn the notifications off entirely on the platforms that support them?

This generation vs mine I suppose. I didn't grow up playing games with trophies and couldn't give two shits about them now. Sure they're nice, but do they affect my enjoyment of a game? Hell no. I understand why people like them, but to say "how much more I would enjoy this game" seems ridiculous to me.
I didn't grow up playing games with trophies and now I thoroughly believe that their existence makes my gaming infinitely better!

I love Nintendo, but the lack of achievements/trophies has always put them extraordinarily behind for my tastes.

I'm almost done with zelda botw, have a few more things sidequests to do before going to fight ganon but this entire playthrough I can't stop thinking how much more I would enjoy this game if it had trophies :(

Like there is so much cool stuff to discover in this game and each time I discover someting neat I wish there was a trophy for it. Usually when I play a game I also like to check my progress by looking at the trophies for the game and or looking at a friends trophies and see if they got certain trophies I managed to get or didn't get, and compare and stuff, with Botw many times i wish I could see if other people on my friend list also managed to discover something that I just did like idk mounting a lynel something I discovered late in the game.

Man its such a bummber to me that nintendo still hasn't put in a trophy/achievements in their system :(

Bizarrely I kinda know this feeling, I have a huge Wii U backlog that never gets played as I like my PSN trophies too much.

Kssio_Aug

Agree 100%. I play BotW and the last thing I want is a notification breaking the immersion with a banner reading "What Are You, Chicken?!" [Hit a cuckoo 100 times]

Oh...38% of other people have also done this arbitrary thing. Cool.

In many ways, Nintendo is behind industry standards. However, this is one thing I'm glad they never jumped on. It is so embarrassing when I was watching Hulu on my XBO and after a few episodes of Seinfeld a banner popped up giving me 25 points for being a "Binge Watcher." Just awful.

The last thing I want is more achievements and trophies. They actively detract from the experience.

But they don't! How can a fully optional feature detract your gaming experience? I think some of you don't understand how contradictory saying such a thing seems like.

"Well, some people are crazy for enjoying this meaningless trophy thing. But I hope it doesn't exist in my games or they're gonna ruin my experience". If they're meaningless how they're gonna affect it negatively to you?

And again: Trophies / Achievements are not more or less meningful that finishing a game, doing side-quests and collecting secrets. The meaning of it all is entirely up to the player... it was always like that. People like to come here in this gaming comunity (or any other) to talk about their gaming accomplishments and that's totally fine... but go talk about it to your mother and she will probably say "... what a waste of your time!".

XandBosch

I didn't grow up playing games with trophies and now I thoroughly believe that their existence makes my gaming infinitely better!

I love Nintendo, but the lack of achievements/trophies has always put them extraordinarily behind for my tastes.

I just find that so odd. To me, beating a game is a trophy, why does it being validated by a little points system make your enjoyment of a game better?

Like beating a
divine beast
in Breath of the Wild for example, when I beat a boss it feels great, I just don't understand why a little trophy/achievement ping would make somebody feel even better.

I understand that they give players reasons to keep playing a game, or do things they wouldn't otherwise do, but even then I find those ones to just feel like a chore. Not only that, they sometimes make me feel as though I haven't actually completed a game even if I really have. Like with the korok seeds for instance, there's no way in hell you're MEANT to collect all of them, especially since you don't need anywhere near all of them to upgrade your inventory. But guaranteed if that game was on PS4 there'd be a trophy for it, and it would make my save feel incomplete without all of them.

I dunno. Fill your boots I guess.

Top Bottom