• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7, Monster Hunter XX, and Dead Rising 4 all below Capcom's expectations

BBboy20

Yeah, I think Ghost Recon: Wildlands proved that out recently as well. Metacritic of 71, but by far the best selling game so far this year, and showing great legs too.
So...get Monster Hunter on current-gen hardware and Capcom will be saved?

Tagg9

3.5 million seems like decent sales for RE7. Capcom must have been out of their minds to think it would do better than that.

Neff

RE7 was never going to do 5/6 numbers without co-op. The lack of classic characters and general franchise consistency possibly hurt it, too. Anecdotally, I know several long-term RE fans who straight up refused to buy it, and I saw the same happen on many online outlets.

That said, Capcom did at least seem to acknowledge this and adjusted their expectations accordingly. And they deserve credit for experimenting with their biggest cash cow. It's just a shame that those expectations weren't met either, since the game is very good, if not without issues.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Dead Rising 4's expectations strike me as odd. Seems less like an expectation and more like wishful thinking.

Looks like we're getting suplexes and over bloated campaigns for RE2 Remake and RE8.
I wouldn't think so.

RE6 did a lot of damage to the series, even though I enjoyed it, and I think RE7 is the first step to winning people back. It's something they should have considered. Well, we don't really know if RE6 damaged the brand, of course - I would love to see a study of sorts try to determine that very thing.

Another thing to consider is that 2017, even that early on, was shaping up to be a huge year for big releases and there's only so much money and time available for these games.

AJ_Wings

Yeah, not shocked at all with DR4 perfomance the farther they move away from the series identity & unique appeal. Lack of coop campaign must've also hurt it.

All I'm going to say is that I would have bought RE7 already had the VR version been out.

I friggen hate exclusivity deals. I'm not saying that this is the entire reason for the poor sales, but surely it didn't help. Even though I'm really excited to play it on my Vive when it launches, I'm personally fine with crap like that failing and I hope it discourages this behavior in the future. ESPECIALLY for VR content. Every sale would help in this situation.

Seyavesh

why did monster hunter stories sell so poorly, anyhow?
that seemed like such a novel concept for a game- was it just mediocre with no real strong word of mouth?

Cerium

that seemed like such a novel concept for a game- was it just mediocre with no real strong word of mouth?
There was no market for it. It was targeting kids younger than the Monster Hunter demographic, and the actual Monster Hunter players had no interest in it cuz you're not hunting monsters.

Sesha

Capcom just sets their expectations too high. DMC4 (overperformed the official targets, but still didn't sell enough according to producer Alex Jones), DmC, RE6, SFV, now these games. Also expectating anyone to care about something like Breath of Fire 6 when they took the worst possible route for that franchise. They're all too guilty of the "we think this should sell this much, therefore it should/must" mentality. Like dark10x said, wishful thinking. They're way too impatient as well. They claim they are focused on the long term, but their expectations per game say otherwise.

But they're not abandoning RE7's direction, for those that think so. They're dedicated to it in the long term. This ain't no DmC. 3.5m out of 4m is close enough.

It is bad compared to predecessors.

Different expectations. RE6 also failed expectations. So did RE4, IIRC.

GrayChild

I still think CAPCOM are aware on how risky RE7 was and that it would make some fans wary on the final game.

All fans of the franchise I personally know were talking about how awful the game will be and all of them ended up loving it.

Survival horror RE is going nowhere. I believe they may try the same formula, but with 3rd person camera and a bunch of old characters as some sort of a compromise though.

cvxfreak

RE6 undeniably sold well for what it was, but a very large percentage of its sales came at vastly reduced retail prices. I think the game had hit sub-$30 by January, if not mid-December. That it's managed to go on to sell at budget pricing over the years is something seen with the entire RE series. I expect RE4 and RE5 HD to break 1 million each shortly.

There was no market for it. It was targeting kids younger than the Monster Hunter demographic, and the actual Monster Hunter players had no interest in it cuz you're not hunting monsters.

Yep

The least enjoyable parts of MH are the ones that get the most focus (farming and repetition) and the mad simplistic, turn based combat isn't hooking younger players or MH vets.

Kinsei

Banned
It's not a big surprise that MHXX under preformed. It's obvious that it exists solely to have a 2016 MH game because 5 wasn't ready. I'm sure 5 will do really well regardless of what platform it releases on (Pls don't be 3DS though).

Korigama

Basically this. And in the case of GAF threads for it specifically, it hasn't been an uncommon sentiment for the people who are actually interested in it to say that they don't have any interest in normal Monster Hunter, so it was largely (not necessarily exclusively) a game that appealed to the sensibilities of people who otherwise don't like MH.

MLH

Those numbers look good to me, capcom need to lower their expectations. Monster Hunter XX is doing deservedly lower than previous entries. I'm sick of Capcom milking the franchise by always releasing an ultimate version down the line. always glad we got the ultimate version here in the west, even if it meant waiting. I'm hoping fans in Japan are feeling the same way - sick of buying the same base game with added content, maybe make it a downloadable expansion pack costing less?

It also doesn't help XX is an "all stars" version of MH, expanding on the 2015 game, that's built using assets/ engine from the 2013 MH4 (and earlier). Series is getting long in the tooth on 3DS, I'm assuming XX will get a Switch version when announced for the west.

Thorrgal

All I'm going to say is that I would have bought RE7 already had the VR version been out.

I friggen hate exclusivity deals. I'm not saying that this is the entire reason for the poor sales, but surely it didn't help. Even though I'm really excited to play it on my Vive when it launches, I'm personally fine with crap like that failing and I hope it discourages this behavior in the future. ESPECIALLY for VR content. Every sale would help in this situation.

Not everybody is as petty as you so I don't think it hurt the sales much.

RE7 was a step on the right direction and I'm sure the franchise will be fine in the future.

Considering dead rising 4 is a heaping turd... maybe they'll either just kill the series and let it Rest In Peace, or do a legit reboot back to its ACTUAL roots.

Capcom has always had (unreasonably) high sales expectations. I think the reason why RE7 wasn't more inline with their projections was due to the art style of the game. I feel like RE8 will move back to a more dynamic aesthetic again.

Too bad for RE7. I didn't love the game but it put the series back on track at least.
The sales are still respectable and the good word-of-mouth it generated will certainly help the series in the future.

Dead Rising was predictable.

Nev

Banned
RE7 is a game that will have legs, I bet many people are just waiting for a price drop. I know I am.

It'll reach 4 million easily and hopefully we don't have to suffer through another abomination like RE6 ever again. People spinning it as a failure (including Capcom) are ridiculous.

I'm willing to bet it'll be 7~ million lifetime once the Steam sales start kicking in. Amnesia and Outlast are both +1 million on Steam alone, RE7 is 300k only and I'm 100% sure it'll be bigger than those a few years from now.

So you can add at least a million from Steam.

RSB

Banned
Time to bring back the suplex.
Resident Evil 8: Jake's Super Saiyan Adventures? Yes please.

Combine that with a RE2 Remake in the classic style and it would be perfection.

RE7 was never going to do 5/6 numbers without co-op. The lack of classic characters and general franchise consistency possibly hurt it, too. Anecdotally, I know several long-term RE fans who straight up refused to buy it, and I saw the same happen on many online outlets.
Yep. I still played it though, thanks to a friend who bought it on Xbox One. The game is ok for what it is, but I don't want the RE franchise to go in this direction, and that's why I refuse to buy it.

It's funny, because it's the first RE I don't buy, but it's also my friend's first RE game (he was never interested in the series before 7)

Those 60 bucks I saved by not buying RE7 were put to good use though, I bought RE4 for the fifth time, RE5 and 6 for the fourth time, and REmake and RE0 for the third time. So good. I don't think I'll ever get tired of classic and action RE.

RE6 ("Remaster") sold 1 million? Well damn. The power of Piers and Chris.
The greatest love story of our time.

Top Bottom