• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7, Monster Hunter XX, and Dead Rising 4 all below Capcom's expectations

NEO0MJ

I wonder if RE 7 could have done better on PC if VR wasn't PS exclusive. Sure there are ways to force it but having the option available would have been better.

I think RE7 is a good idea and they should iterate on it, but I think a big number of people just want Resident Evil: Husbando and Waifu TPS.

If Capcom go back to doing an action TPS for RE8, and the camera and gunplay is at least as good as RE5, I'll give it a whack.

MrT-Tar

I'm still baffled that Capcom didn't get MHXX for the Switch launch, it seems like a no brainer.

Ultra Street Fighter II is just strange in entirity too

They kept squeezing the monster hunter cow too hard and eventually it stopped being a dependable cash cow.

Bet you any amount of money though the next one will still be 3DS and not Switch because it is cheaper and easier to re-use assets that way.

silva1991

RE7 was surprisingly good, great even. It deserves more sales.

That said, I still hope they go back to 3rd persona gameplay minus the heavy action part.

Paragon

You have to wonder how much Resident Evil 7 sales were hurt by putting out a misrepresentative demo and not putting much effort into the PC version.
And just as a game, I thought it was fairly average.
I did not like the way that many encounters were scripted or random rather than the characters actually being AIs that moved through the house. As soon as I saw that it killed the tension/immersion for me, and I just started treating it like a 'game'.
There was very limited enemy variety throughout, and the last 1/3 or so of the game really let it down.

Not everybody is as petty as you so I don't think it hurt the sales much.

RE7 was a step on the right direction and I'm sure the franchise will be fine in the future.

What on earth is petty about wanting everyone to play at the same time? Also, at this stage, especially with reports of slow VR adoption, every sale counts.

My point about being ok with stuff like this failing had nothing to do with the game and everything to do with not wanting companies to be rewarded from making actually petty exclusivity deals. The more things suffer from them the less likely they are to happen so it's ok to me no matter how much I might love the game or series. I'd rather the practice be done away with so more people can enjoy more things. Having a hard time understanding what you think is so petty about that?

Roufianos

Those are decent sales for RE7 based on its quality. It's a good game but nothing extraordinary.

I hope they go back to the RE4 template, 3rd person shooting and horror, the best of both worlds.

I'm still baffled that Capcom didn't get MHXX for the Switch launch, it seems like a no brainer.

Ultra Street Fighter II is just strange in entirity too
Capcom got burned when MH3U on WiiU tanked in Japan as a launch title.

USF2 is just a cheap 30th anniversary cash-in banking on nostalgia.

Dinda

I hope that's it for First person in the mainline Resident Evils. Bring back 3rd person and Jill (or Ada) as Main Protagonist for 8 and i'm back in. Keeping the the Horror focus or getting back to more action would both be OK for me.

But all of those people who said they would play a Dead Rising game now that it appealed to them should've made up for the loss of genuine fans of the series...

It's strange people reject the notion that high quality games need to sell A LOT nowadays to encourage companies to make more. It happened to Tomb Raider, too.

Raide

Interested to see XX underperform and how Capcom reacts with that news. Hoping for a Switch MH announcement come E3, or even multiplatform.

Nice forecast for Dead Rising guys. How well did they expect it to sell on a platform that is getting crushed everywhere but the US?

Understood the franchise started on Xbox but uh you might want to release it (and its predecessor) on the platform that is selling like crazy if you want to move copies. Just a thought.

Yeah, I feel the same way about Street Fighter.

Hellraider

It was their most expensive production EVER and it showed.

Did it though? Dragon's Dogma felt extremely cheap in so many regions that in the end the final product was hurt a lot.

I feel like even though Dragon's Dogma had its heart on the right place, it needed to have been dramatically different (and better) in many regions that it had no reasons to be the way it was with that budget behind. Its mistakes were understandable coming from a team that had more talent and less expertise in what they were making, but were mistakes nonetheless.

Did it sell more than TLG though

I'm not sure the relevance (or maybe I've missed a joke?), but I don't think Sony have confirmed how much TLG sold.

I thought RE7 was hot because people said so... guess it wasn't.

It is bad compared to predecessors.

Too bad, most likely just watched the playthroughs of whole game on YouTube/Twitch instead. It is not like there was co-op to play here.

The DLC was shit and a scam. The free DLC was delayed and I have no idea if they can even release a Lost In Nightmare quality DLC for VII.

Wow dude; you sound like you have an awful lot of venom for this game.

Considering the sales of DR3 in a similar time frame versus the install base for MS currently has, this seemed like a very realistic figure. Guess the Director's departure now makes a whole lot of sense.

Reminds me quite a bit of what happened with Resistance: Fall of Man to Resistance 2 - the sequel felt very focus-group-driven and sold considerably more poorly than its predecessor. Sometimes a game does well largely because it's a launch window release.

2.3 million: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

21 Nov 2013, Dead Rising 3 (Xbox One/DL): 2.3 million

Wow, I would have never expected it to have sold so much. According to Steamspy it sold 530k on Steam, so it must have done really well on Xbone. Was it ever on Games with Gold?

i hope marvel does well for them. seems like it's been a while since their last big hit.

I really don't see MvC:I doing big numbers. Maybe a few million at most?

With Dead Rising 4 Capcom grinds another franchise into the ground. I can't see how the series can recover from this point. Are they going to bother to release it on PlayStation 4?

I mean, it'll be a few hundred thousand extra sales, but it's not going to turn the game into a success. Maybe for Capcom some of the risk was mitigated by MS funding & publishing, but I really can't see there being another instalment.

Their problem is that they didn't do enough to cultivate new ips this generation. They are pretty much screwed going forward because people eventually gets tired of their iterated franchises.

This is why I think they should make another Dragon's Dogma. With the popularity of ARPGs I really think it could become a big seller with a bit more opportunity, in the same way The Witcher series grew and then became a titan on its third instalment.

Man this hurts, as a huge Dead Rising series fan it probably means we won't get a 5th game.

Yes 4 was a massive drop down in quality and fun, but I didn't hate playing it, it was just pretty soulless, less is more I feel.

I was hoping 5 would be a few steps back in the direction of the original couple of games.

Watching those two Crowbcat videos on DR4 is really damning. It's obvious it was completely driven by focus testing, and seeing as they got rid of everything that made the series distinct it seems as if they were repeating the mistakes of RE6 in assuming they could get the kind of mass market COD audience interested in Dead Rising.

I wonder if Capcom Vancouver are safe. Weren't they said to be working on a new IP after DR2 launched, or am I misremembering?

danmaku

RE6 did a lot of damage to the series, even though I enjoyed it, and I think RE7 is the first step to winning people back. It's something they should have considered. Well, we don't really know if RE6 damaged the brand, of course - I would love to see a study of sorts try to determine that very thing.

Considering the re-release on modern consoles sold a million copies, I don't think RE6 did any damage, at least in the mass market. People love co-op shooters and zombies and RE. RE7 is catering to a smaller audience.

deleted

With all of their big sellers bombing, what do you think will happen next: Double down on the next big AAA game or go out of their way to revive an older series? Or even going the Konami, SNK way and leaving game development for a while?

I'm not sure they'll be able to continue like this. Flops and big endeavors that won't release like Deep Down. Monster Hunter Spin Offs not performing like they need - what will keep them afloat? Mega Man?

duckroll

This is good news for me as a consumer because there is hope that the company will change and cater more to my taste again. I feel they have lost that touch. Since Dead Rising 3 the series has been dead to me. With this crushing failure may they reflect on their missteps and deliver a new Dead Rising like the first two, one worthy of my interest.

As for RE7... all I can say is... FUCK YES. I'm sure those who liked the game are upset or disappointed. That's too bad because when there are conflicting interests we can't all have what we want. Hopefully RE can rise from this stumble to return to the golden age of third person action with exciting boss QTEs and kickass shooting without wasting effort on things like horror. The only horror I want to see in RE is the horror on the face of the zombie before it gets its skull crushed in by my boot in a melee kill QTE. :)

Bring back Dead Rising 1
Bring back Resident Evil 4
Bring back Onimusha
Bring back Dino Crisis 2

Considering RE5 is the best RE, yes.

The Black Ops games are the highest selling COD games yet people want to go back to WWII and they're getting it. Capcom needs to choose: sales or overwhelming positive reception from RE7? The sooner they accept that they'll never surpass RE5 the better they can realize to control their insane expectations.

Seyfert

How about new mainline Mega Man / X games ?

DR4 maybe release with all DLC on PS4 within the end of this year.

Wow dude; you sound like you have an awful lot of venom for this game.
I don't? I played the game and loved it and consider it one of the better RE games but I don't want the series to continue in this direction ever again.

I am with duckroll here. Action RE with co-op and QTE boss fights are what I would prefer to see again.

As for RE7... all I can say is... FUCK YES. I'm sure those who liked the game are upset or disappointed. That's too bad because when there are conflicting interests we can't all have what we want. Hopefully RE can rise from this stumble to return to the golden age of third person action with exciting boss QTEs and kickass shooting without wasting effort on things like horror. The only horror I want to see in RE is the horror on the face of the zombie before it gets its skull crushed in by my boot in a melee kill QTE. :)

Man we share the same hate on FFIX so i'll respect you until the end but... RE7 is cool :(

duckroll

Bring back lost planet .

Bring back Lost Planet 1

Reject fake scifi Monhun wannabe
Reject western shooter wannabe

Give grapple
Give crazy weapons
Give pseudo-3D-Contra feel
Give giant monster bosses
Give multiple mechs all over the stage
Give sexy Asian dude lead

Give Lost Planet (1)

Man we share the same hate on FFIX so i'll respect you until the end but... RE7 is cool :(

It is entirely possible that RE7 is very cool. Unfortunately it is a horror game. Unfortunately I am a pussy coward wuss. Unfortunately I watch horror movies under a blanket. Unfortunately Fatal Frame broke me.

:(

Raide

Bring back Lost Planet 1

Reject fake scifi Monhun wannabe
Reject western shooter wannabe

Give grapple
Give crazy weapons
Give pseudo-3D-Contra feel
Give giant monster bosses
Give multiple mechs all over the stage
Give sexy Asian dude lead

Give Lost Planet (1)

I would kill for a Lost Planet 1 remake. Would also be more than ok with LP2.

RE7 becoming the 13th best selling game in the company's history in three months is below their expectations?

Exactly - they're taking the piss!

Either that or bullshit and its a bit of reverse psychology in that they are appealing to those RE fans who haven't purchased RE7 yet in the hope it forces them to buy now to ensure the series continues....stupid I know!

edit:mad: Stiler.

See it looks like what I'm saying is working. Don't you think 3.5 million copies sold is good? It's also only been out 3 months+.

Bittercup

Can't say I'm sad about the RE7 sales. Now please go back to classic RE, especially like RE Remake.
I wouldn't even mind the 4-6 formula. As long as it has the old characters and it is third person.

kromeo

Can't say I'm sad about the RE7 sales. Now please go back to classic RE, especially like RE Remake.
I wouldn't even mind the 4-6 formula. As long as it has the old characters and it is third person.

Classic RE would sell even worse, there's no chance

It's my second favorite series but I will never understand people's obsession with those generic ass characters

Just fucking make cheap games using your old IPs on Unity or UE4.

Give me Megaman ZX3
Give me Breath Of Fire 6 (we don't talk about that 6)
Give me Rival Schools 3
Give me Power Stone 3
Give me Area 88 2
Give me Cyberbots 2
Give me Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night 2

The solution to RE dilemma.

Make first person survival horror spin-off
Go back to action RE with co-op for mainline game
Release REmake 2 for original fans and then REMake 3

This way, everyone stays happy.

Rymuth

Just fucking make cheap games using your old IPs on Unity or UE4.

Give me Megaman ZX3
Give me Breath Of Fire 6 (we don't talk about that 6)
Give me Rival Schools 3
Give me Power Stone 3
Give me Area 88 2
Give me Cyberbots 2
Give me Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night 2
I can haz Shadow of Rome?

Top Bottom