• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Warriors Gamescom Trailer

I agree, but that's due to the nature of Zelda. Simply by putting Link, Zelda, Ganondorf and Impa, they covered already every games, and they just had to put a few ennemis here and there.
FE Warriors isn't supposed to be a celebrations of FE. They thought about it, but decided against. They want to make a serie of spin-off.
I don't think you guys remember how frustrated Zelda fans were with Hyrule Warriors. They were fairly frustrated by the character selection as well. However, through DLC and the 3DS rerelease it included a larger variety and some character favorites like Marin and Skull Kid. I expect we will see a Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn pack with Ike, Micaiah and others. Then a FE6/7 pack featuring Roy, Lynn, and others. Final pack being a Thracia 776, Genealogy of the Holy War and Sacred Stones pack featuring Leif, Seliph, Eirika and Ephraim.

Fair to a point, but it also contained perrenial characters that have recurred in the series since the original game in Link, Zelda, Ganon/dorf, and Impa, and all featuring designs not totally based on any singular game. It also included other references in classic bosses like Manhandla.

Admittedly this is harder for FE to do since there are no major recurring characters through the bulk of the franchise, but I'd still say that HW did a better job functioning as a celebration of the history of the whole series rather than a celebration of just the two most recent games.

This game is largely including the characters who've appeared multiple times through the series and it's spin offs/cameos like Marth, Chrom, and Lucina. The only characters missing by that standard are Roy and Ike from their smash appearances. Hyrule warriors had similar major reoccuring characters that even after a sequel and two waves of dlc never became playable like Vaati or Beedle along with fan favorite one offs like Groose and Linebeck.

The difference between Hyrule Warriors and FE Warriors is that Zelda games have always been hugely successful where as FE was going to die before Awakening and Fates revived the series and exploded it's popularity. This leads to a large influx of Awakening and Fates fans who are willing to throw money at those games, their dlc, and those characters appearing in spin offs. One could argue fire emblem warriors has done a better job of including the popular fan favorite characters over hyrule warriors.

Erheller

One could argue fire emblem warriors has done a better job of including the popular fan favorite characters over hyrule warriors.

lol

FE-Heroes-Poll-Shot-01.jpg

Richie

My best hope is that marketing hasn't been great but the game itself turns out good. Played upwards of 400+ hours between Hyrule Warriors Wii U and 3DS and I love FE games, so it'd be a shame if this doesn't deliver.

We already have many Fates characters confirmed but I'd hope there's even more left to reveal, 'cause the selection as it stands is pretty vanilla and safe, one of HW's assets was stepping out of the norm.

What I wanna see is variety in the gameplay. Fun! HW had a lot of different approaches in its combat and even though Fire Emblem's more realistic approach (in comparison to HW) inherently limits it in that area, I trust they can still cook up some cool movesets.

Flintty

This game is largely including the characters who've appeared multiple times through the series and it's spin offs/cameos like Marth, Chrom, and Lucina. The only characters missing by that standard are Roy and Ike from their smash appearances. Hyrule warriors had similar major reoccuring characters that even after a sequel and two waves of dlc never became playable like Vaati or Beedle along with fan favorite one offs like Groose and Linebeck.

The difference between Hyrule Warriors and FE Warriors is that Zelda games have always been hugely successful where as FE was going to die before Awakening and Fates revived the series and exploded it's popularity. This leads to a large influx of Awakening and Fates fans who are willing to throw money at those games, their dlc, and those characters appearing in spin offs. One could argue fire emblem warriors has done a better job of including the popular fan favorite characters over hyrule warriors.

Fates was my first FE game and I can confirm that the above is not only a great post but feels very true to me. I was aware of Awakening, tried the demo and bought the Lucina Figma (because I love the look of the character) and the Amiibos and that Awakening is still on my birthday list.

I now consider myself a big fan of the series (I love FE Heroes) and I have the Echoes limited edition which I haven't opened yet because I'm finishing my run through of Conquest (I finished Birthright first).

So yeah, I identify massively with the Fates characters I'm almost intimately familiar with from Fates and those of Awakening and my Amiibos. Even in Heroes I lean more towards these characters.

That said, I do hope Warriors will introduce me to some great characters from other games.

Babyshams

I was super hyped for this game but every time I see it the hype diminishes.

It looks terrible, how does it look worse than Hyrule Warriors that came out 3 years ago? The VA is awful, I expected the roster to be heavy fates/awakening so I was prepared for that.

Erheller

Wait, I just re-read this and you're comparing Ike and Roy to Vaati and Beedle. You're talking about literally the most popular character in the series and the second most popular male character and comparing them to one of the least important villains in Zelda and a shopkeeper no one cares about.

LordKano

It looks terrible, how does it look worse than Hyrule Warriors that came out 3 years ago? The VA is awful, I expected the roster to be heavy fates/awakening so I was prepared for that.

Because it doesn't. I really don't know how people can pretend otherwise.

Maxinas

Should get your eyes checked.

Ezalc

I mean I completely stopped caring about this as soon as they announced that they were going to have mostly characters from Fates and awakening, which are mostly all trash, but the E3 gameplay looked alright. This trailer looks like garbage though. Everything looks stiff.

What did they do to poor Hinoka? Even her Heroes voice sounded more similar to the original.

Still Cindy Robinson from Heroes, she's just not impersonating Elizabeth Daily anymore. All the replacements are the same as the ones in Heroes as far as I can tell.

The Xander actor was PERFECT before, why'd they replace him?

It's still him but it's a different voice director so he's being played totally differently. He's relying so much more on his upper register now. It's weird.

Also Ryoma's voice is deepened a bit because they have to differentiate that he has the same VA as Chrom. I was never crazy for that to begin with but it's water under the bridge now.

Five are swords user, 2 spears, one spell, one axe and one bow.

*sigh* rather complaining about which characters are coming from, we should talk about the weapon user diversity first.

EDIT: Somehow I miscount Takumi as axe user lol

You know what I meant. I thought Echoes was making some headway in this department and I hope there are extra characters to choose from. That right there is embarrassing and a 20-character lineup like that would get called out in any other game. All I see is whitewhitewhitewhitewhitewhitewhitewhite...

Erheller

Five are swords user, 2 spears, one spell, and two axes.

*sigh* rather complaining about which characters are coming from, we should talk about the weapon user diversity first.

I mean, according to someone earlier in the thread, this is what we have so far:

So, in terms of weapon balance so far :
- Marth (Sword)
- Chrom (Sword)
- Lucina (Sword)
- Corrin (Sword)
- Ryoma (Sword)
- Xander (Sword)
- Rowan (Sword)
- Lianna (Sword)

- Lissa (Axe)
- Frederick (Axe)
- Camilla (Axe)

- Cordelia (Spear)
- Hinoka (Spear)

- Leo (magic)
- Robin (magic)

- Takumi (archer)

That's still 50% swords - the same as the top 10 in the poll.
And you obviously don't care about representation, and that's fine. But don't pretend like it's an issue that people can't care about. I personally don't give a shit about weapon diversity as long as the characters I like are in (they're not), but I understand that it's important for other people.

And if you actually count the games they said they would be including they are in fact including the more popular characters from those games.

They have been open from the beginning which games they were going to included. Ike and Roy will most likely be in the first batch of DLC.

Five are swords user, 2 spears, one spell, one axe and one bow.

EDIT: Somehow I miscount Takumi as axe user lol

Eh in a Warriors game everyone plays the "same" or "different" no matter what weapon they have depending on how you view the game. Pretty much everyone will have similar command combos but may have unique moves/abilities that would make them play completely different from each other. Hyrule Warriors is a good example of this when you look at its gameplay and characters.

Wait, I just re-read this and you're comparing Ike and Roy to Vaati and Beedle. You're talking about literally the most popular character in the series and the second most popular male character and comparing them to one of the least important villains in Zelda and a shopkeeper no one cares about.

Of course not, my point was that characters people wanted who've been in multiple games never got into hw not that beedle is close to Ike. FE:W the characters who've been in multiple games and spin offs are largely in minus Ike and Roy who I'm fairly confident will be dlc. Look at that top 20 popular male/female character list again, if you're picking 3 games to represent most of that list you HAVE to pick awakening and fates. Ike and Roy are popular, but the rosters of their games aren't particularly popular.

CronoShot

I really hate the over-emphasis on Fates characters.

I mean, 3 of the 5 characters on the cover (not including the OCs) are from Fates. If you're only going to include Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates that's fine. But there's clearly a much bigger emphasis on Fates than the other two.

I really hate the over-emphasis on Fates characters.

I mean, 3 of the 5 characters on the cover (not including the OCs) are from Fates. If you're only going to include Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates that's fine. But there's clearly a much bigger emphasis on Fates than the other two.
This is suppose to be a Fates trailer.
however, Fates had a lot of main characters compared to Awakening and SD.

Hopefully next trailer is SD with Tiki

javadoze

I wonder why they still insist on showing the cutscenes in these trailers? It's really jarring since story will probably be one of the last things I'll care about in this game.

kewlmyc

Might as well just go "fuck it" and put in Elise and Sakura as well.

We have to have more Mystery of the Emblem characters than just Marth and maybe Tiki right?

LordKano

Might as well just go "fuck it" and put in Elise and Sakura as well.

We have to have more Mystery of the Emblem characters than just Marth and maybe Tiki right?

Yes, they said they would unveil them later, alongside more Awakening characters.

CronoShot

This is suppose to be a Fates trailer.
however, Fates had a lot of main characters compared to Awakening and SD.

Hopefully next trailer is SD with Tiki
Even before this trailer (in particular when it was properly shown for the first time) it seemed like Fates had the most emphasis placed on it. I guess it makes sense since it was the last game in the proper series (and sold very well iirc), but it still feels...icky.

Hopefully we get some Shadow Dragon characters soon. I think that would go a long way towards making it feel more varied.

Sandfox

Fair to a point, but it also contained perrenial characters that have recurred in the series since the original game in Link, Zelda, Ganon/dorf, and Impa, and all featuring designs not totally based on any singular game. It also included other references in classic bosses like Manhandla.

Admittedly this is harder for FE to do since there are no major recurring characters through the bulk of the franchise, but I'd still say that HW did a better job functioning as a celebration of the history of the whole series rather than a celebration of just the two most recent games.
Those were supposed to be the original characters for those s much like how DQH and this game has original characters. Hyrule Warriors wasn't any different from this game except it's looking like this will actually have more characters.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Soooooooo happy we got Camilla, but did they chance her VA? I want that deep sultry voice! T_T

Sterok

Camilla looks amazing. Coolest character thus far. Takumi is great as well. Hinoka becomes a helicopter, and that's all I ask of her.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Still Cindy Robinson from Heroes, she's just not impersonating Elizabeth Daily anymore. All the replacements are the same as the ones in Heroes as far as I can tell.

It's still him but it's a different voice director so he's being played totally differently. He's relying so much more on his upper register now. It's weird.

Also Ryoma's voice is deepened a bit because they have to differentiate that he has the same VA as Chrom. I was never crazy for that to begin with but it's water under the bridge now.
I thought it had something to do with the voice actors strike

Strings

I thought it had something to do with the voice actors strike

Nah, that's only targeting 11 specific companies (Activision, Disney, Insomniac, VoiceWorks Productions, Blindlight, EA, Interactive Associates, WB, Corps of Discovery, ​​Formosa Interactive and Take 2). Nintendo, Sony, and others are fair game as far as I understand it.

Thorn

Warriors gameplay, some garbage weeb art, and shite VA. Perfect.

Gonna need the new FE stat. Hopefully without the weeb art and shite VA.
It will have both.

Top Bottom