• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Certain Magical Virtual On - New details (characters, mechanics)

Tain

Four weapons per VR, the fourth influenced by the pilot character:

By converting and amplifying the unique abilities of the character piloting the Virtuaroid, the Virtuaroid gains access to a new attack. While previous Virtual-On titles only featured three weapons, this will act as a fourth weapon in A Certain Magical Virtual-On.

Some shots:
ymsGAkq.jpg

6cuiW5R.jpg

Character details:

Touma Kamijou / Temujin – A standard, high versatility Virtuaroid with stable performance. The ”Slipner" launcher equipped to its right arm supports both long and short range combat. It is widely used from beginners to advanced users.

Index / Val Lurune – A 545 series, multipurpose-type, integrated Virtuaroid. A practical use Virtuaroid originally developed inside the academy. It is equipped with an autonomous control launcher that can be detached within both arms and the defense husk of the lower body. In previous Virtual-On games, the ”Bal" line were Virtuaroids for advanced users.

Accelerator / Specineff – A grudge curse assassination Virtuaroid. It amplifies curse in a disorderly manner.

Mikoto Misaka / Raiden – A heavy attack Virtuaroid equipped with high performance optical weapons. It is characterized by its heavy armor and heavy weapons. Its shoulder unit, called Stave 800Z, is equipped with high output lasers.

More shots and info at the article:

http://gematsu.com/2017/08/certain-...es-first-characters-virtuaroids-fourth-weapon

This is looking like a real Virtual On game and I'll continue to be excited.

Kent

These pilots, do they board the Virtuaroids and pilot them internally, or do they pilot them remotely via arcade machines?

This is important.

Khrno

My feeling - if I have to have a load of animu weeb crap I don't care about thats tacked onto a VO game I do to justify it getting greenlit, I'll take it.

You are completely right. Why do we have to deal with this Sega mecha crap, when we could have a glorious game all about Misaka Mikoto, and Kuroko.

kewlmyc

Wait so it's Virtual On and a Index game at the same time? And where is Index season 3?!!?

Novels already sell gangbusters and ship like 4 times a year, so not a lot of reason to invest money into making another anime to advertise the series.

Similar reasons as to why Devil is a Part-timer is never getting a second season.

Tain

Looking back at the details announced about this game in June, they mention combining pilots with "compatible" Virtuaroids.

If that means Arcana Heart shit where I get to mix and match between the three-weapon mechs and the one-weapon pilots, that's awesome.

Screw Index. It's all about Railgun.

A-Certain-Magical-Virtual-On_Dengeki_08-22-17_005.jpg

I see no shorts under that outfit. FAIL. (I kid, I kid... I actually like the design)

Novels already sell gangbusters and ship like 4 times a year, so not a lot of reason to invest money into making another anime to advertise the series.

Similar reasons as to why Devil is a Part-timer is never getting a second season.

The bolded part is because it makes me sad to actually read that. I loved season 1. I got it for free on XBox One last year as part of one of their "anime" events but also watched it prior when the show first came out in Japan. That show makes me laugh quite a bit and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a light, not-so-serious action fantasy anime.

I am a fan of the Virtual-On titles (been playing them since the Saturn days) as well as the Index/Railgun series of animes, so interest is there. This mashup reminds me of the Space Brothers-Iron Man manga story they did for some magazine (which I have only seen pictures of in piecemeal and have yet to read it in its entirety *PUSS N BOOTS EYES*).

Sho Nuff

Banned
Oh look, it's more of this garbage that literally nobody asked for

latest

(Virtua Quest, a VF game so bad even I, the king of VF fandom, couldn't finish it)

"Maybe if we make it into a kids' anime, kids will appreciate the mainline games when they grow up"

I was intending on waiting for a gameplay trailer to bring this game back into the spotlight here But I suppose this is enough for people to stop freaking the fuck out.

They are definitely intending on making a Virtual On game and not a VN

Blue-kun

I think I'm sold now. At first I was like "eehhhh" when they revealed it but I can't say no to Raiden Misaka.

My only worry is what they're gonna do about the music. Stuff from both series? I can't say no to some of those Index OPs if they could be used as BGM, but Virtual On OSTs are too strong.

Gimme Fade to Black! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrATGEhCm5E

Looking back at the details announced about this game in June, they mention combining pilots with "compatible" Virtuaroids.

If that means Arcana Heart shit where I get to mix and match between the three-weapon mechs and the one-weapon pilots, that's awesome.

I'm pretty sure they mentioned before, but basically they want to implement the character's special abilities into the mecha- so something like Touma's Imagine Breaker on Tenmujin. I don't think you can mix pilot and mechs though

That never stop other big shows .

I will take VO in any form i can .

latest

(Virtua Quest, a VF game so bad even I, the king of VF fandom, couldn't finish it)

"Maybe if we make it into a kids' anime, kids will appreciate the mainline games when they grow up"

Too bad. VO is not a hot series and would sell like shit nowadays. The anime crap is making it marketable and able to be brought back from the dead. The gameplay sounds similar to the old games, so your comparison to VQ isn't really 1:1

This crossover is designed to appeal to Magical Index fans first, not crusty old VO fans still pining over a nearly 20 year old game.

Still, it looks like they're developing something that pays respect to the mech franchise. I doubt it'll get localized though.

Shame.

LordRaptor

You are completely right. Why do we have to deal with this Sega mecha crap, when we could have a glorious game all about Misaka Mikoto, and Kuroko.

I'm saying the opposite; I'm glad theres a new VO, even if it has shit I don't care about tacked on.
Reversing that position would be you're glad youre getting a game about wtf-ever-this-animu-is-about-but-id-guess-socially-awkward-male-school-going-protagonist-with-crush-on-naive-female-classmate-with-mysterious-powers even if it has cool mech fighting tacked on

Too bad. VO is not a hot series and would sell like shit nowadays.

Slim possibility of peeling off some of the ARMS fanbase I guess

latest

Big difference here is that VO's been MIA for a hot minute while VF was still pretty strong when Virtua Quest came out.

I'm also not sure VO has the staying power that some would like to believe. Collaborating with another popular(?) IP may be the best chance at ensuring a reasonable return. If the gameplay is there but it still doesn't perform well then you have your answer.

latest

Damn at least wait for gameplay

Rob2K19

Except the difference is that Miki keeps telling fans at events "Not yet". He stated on his Twitter that Season 3 was plausible. And just months ago he stated to wait a bit longer. This is all in 2 years. If it weren't possible he wouldn't be saying these things.

Tain

also might wanna point out the Access Games sign behind Temjin in that pic, they're probably helping with development

Top Bottom