• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's stance on Wii storage: only "geeks and otaku" want that addressed

I'm not a geek, otaku or even a fanboy. I'm just a consumer that wants to give Nintendo money. Fuck, this company is really pissing me off this gen. Fuck. Fuck! FUCK!

Mr_Furious said:
I'm not a geek, otaku or even a fanboy. I'm just a consumer that wants to give Nintendo money. Fuck, this company is really pissing me off this gen. Fuck. Fuck! FUCK!

You sound like someone complaining that they don't send Tyler Perry movies to South Dakota.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
akachan ningen said:
No, I don't understand angry fanboy name-calling. Can you explain it to me?

You are acting like an idiot because new entries in Nintendo franchises must be rehashes yet a HD entry, oh they are fucking RE4. You are presenting a onesided argument and playing dumb. You arent even on topic. GTFO

RandomVince said:
If the original XBox had 8GB of available space, surely a similar sized HDD or flash solution would have been affordable to put in the Wii. And even 8GB or so at the lower end of the space market would be plenty of room as far as VC/Wiiware titles go.
To be fair, the hard drive was part of the reason MS lost so much on the Xbox, and why they insist on keeping a tard pack for the 360. And a full-sized HDD basically kills any chance at substantial miniaturization in the future.

Nintendo had better do something, though... I'd like to buy a Wii again, but I plan on using it mostly for VC/WiiWare. I have no interest in dropping $250 on the thing just to have it last a month or two before I'm in the same situation as many of you.

Jokeropia

Zophar said:
Nintendo has barely evolved in 10 years. Mario is the same game as it was in 1996. Zelda is the same game it was in 1998. Mario Kart is the same game it was since 1997. You'll be hard pressed to argue that Twilight Princess is a better game than Ocarina of Time or Link to the Past, or that Mario Sunshine is a better game than Mario 64, and so on and so forth. I know you'll argue that bells and whistles make it "evolution" yadda yadda yadda but the fact is all they do is paint the same game with a new coat of paint. They are fundamentally the exact same as they were upon debut following the same formula ad infinitum.

See, there's no incentive for Nintendo *to* evolve. They're masters at budgeting, they always come out in the black and all they need to do is slap either Mario or Zelda in the title and it will sell like hotcakes. Nintendo's first party is effectively immune to the competition. They're comfortable, they can coast just fine and not have to worry about their bottom line. They hardly even use their own technology in unique and innovative ways.
Mario Galaxy is a fanastic evolution (almost revolution) of the platformer genre itself and the best Mario game ever, Zelda changes from game to game and TP was the first traditional entry since Ocarina. (And I really didn't mind.) Mario Kart has seen incremental improvements and a great online mode was the major one in the latest.

Again, stop trying to pass off your bitter opinions as fact or impose them on other people.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Mariah Carey said:
The thing you should keep in mind with this statement is that you're talking about the customers (pretty sure you didn't mean 'costumers') that dedicate the most resources per capita. Nintendo certainly isn't receiving most of their resources from these customers. I'm sure they're thinking, 'Hmm, should we prioritize the million that are going to download 15 (?!) games in a year or the 10 million that'll download 4 games in the same timeframe?"

To put it one way, some of my most loyal, diehard followers are in the Phillippines. But I've only ever gone to the Phillippines once in my career, because no matter how devoted they are, the Filipino market is tiny and is never going to take priority over the US, Europe, and Japanese markets. It's a shame but that's just the way it is.

I can really understand why this is frustrating but it makes sense and is not necessarily a bad business move. I hope Nintendo provides a solution very soon (and calls it "The Fridge" :lol )
DLC and other downloads are really important for 3rd party developers who might be able to make large profits by continuing to provide content for a relatively small but rabidly loyal fanbase. The long term success of the platform is going to depend on more than just Nintendo.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
this thread is giving me a fuckin deja-vu. wasn't there one like this a couple of days ago? with pretty much the same responses to pretty much the same stimulus? or is my head due for a check?

Zophar

Jokeropia said:
Mario Galaxy is a fanastic evolution (almost revolution) of the platformer genre itself and the best Mario game ever, Zelda changes from game to game and TP was the first traditional entry since Ocarina. (And I really didn't mind.)
How is Mario Galaxy so much different from Mario Sunshine or Mario 64? It's still go from world to world in a semi-nonlinear fashion, complete a handful of objectives with a collectathon in the background, until you fight Bowser in the end.

And even still, you concede that Zelda has done nothing to grow past the standard it set with Ocarina. Going from that standard, Twilight was an easier game, presented barely any exploration, and only a fraction of the sidequests Ocarina and even Wind Waker provided. The dungeons looked great and the art design was fantastic, but that's really all I can give it credit for. That's not to say it's a bad game, because I still think it's pretty good, but to say anything other than the series being on the other side of its peak is delusional.

It brings to question a much deeper problem with Nintendo- these are the same franchises we've seen from anywhere from 10 years to over 20. Sony and Microsoft have always changed their first party image and lineup with each generation with little bleed-over.
Again, stop trying to pass off your bitter opinions as fact or impose them on other people.
And what, calling Mario Galaxy the best Mario game ever isn't an opinion you're trying to impose? This is called a discussion, it's where dissenting opinions clash civilly. I'm not a bitter anti-Nintendo asshole (though I am not happy with the direction they're forcing the industry in to and lament that they've gone down in quality from their golden years) and I'm not making you see it my way unless you want it to be.

I think it's clear Nintendo underestimated how quickly the storage space on the Wii would be utilized. The current method they have in place does work, but it isn't convenient enough for the most avid consumers. That said, some of the reactions in this thread are what make me rethink belonging to a community like this.

PkunkFury

I'm sure its been mentioned in this thread already, but Laurent Fischer, managing director of marketing at NoE, will probably find out about any hard drive solution around the same time we do. This would be coming through NOJ and I'd be surprised if they aren't working on something (likely which will be packaged with a game). Nintendo knows they are losing money

Wiiware developers hung out to dry. This is why my clients who make games for PSN and XBLA aren't considering Wiiware - no publicity, not enough built-in storage.

Tobor

Cheesemeister said:
I would encourage those in the gaming media to continue asking about the storage problem at every opportunity.

Agreed.

PkunkFury said:
I'm sure its been mentioned in this thread already, but Laurent Fischer, managing director of marketing at NoE, will probably find out about any hard drive solution around the same time we do. This would be coming through NOJ and I'd be surprised if they aren't working on something (likely which will be packaged with a game). Nintendo knows they are losing money

Quadruple agreed. Also, Star Control Wii. As long as we're hoping, I'm hoping for the best.

stuminus3

Banned
*insert boring generic Nintendo hate or self congratulation over failure of Nintendo here*

Seriously, some of you need to back the hell away from the internet for a bit.

Still, that's bullshit. That kind of comment isn't just a slap in the face to customers, it's a slap to all those who want to make a name for themselves via WiiWare, and all the publishers who've lined up to make the VC a success. Total crap. I hope it's just NoE spouting nonsense... maybe they're last to get the circulars? Even still, if a global company like Nintendo can't keep their mouthpieces in line... something so small could destroy what they've been trying to build.

*only has 4 blocks left, passed on Dr. Mario*

Zophar, if you would like to have a PM discussion, I'd like to try and discuss with you why I think SMG is the third revolution in the 3D platforming genre, why Nintendo is one of the few companies implementing true change going forward, and why I'm not "delusional" in thinking that LoZ is still yet to achieve its peak. Just a PM away! *tries to get back on topic*

Is it really that big of a deal? How do you guys have your system oriented? Personally, I see a game I'd like to play, and once I'm done, I either delete it or transfer it to my SD. Some of you sound like you have every one of those 50-some-odd channels filled up. But whatev. I'm sure a solution will be announced. It's inevitable. Unless the Nintendo Channel is going to be the last Wii Channel, Nintendo knows that it can't keep releasing new channels.

So I'm a geek and an otaku huh? I'm using logic to stop myself from getting too many downloadables. I'd like to go crazy to get every past games I missed on. Not to mention all the interesting and fun WiiWare titles which would give them more money. Yet I have to really limit that because I see a problem. The fact others and myself see this makes us fall into that category? Right...glad companies normally don't share the opinion of one person.

I like my Wii. I really do. I have 8 retail games for it.

However, I have absolutely no interest in fighting the many issues so I won't be bothering with VC or WiiWare games in the future. Hell, I still have 2800 of the 5000 points left that I bought at launch, almost 1 1/2 years ago because dealing with the system is so annoying.

Open Source said:
Wiiware developers hung out to dry. This is why my clients who make games for PSN and XBLA aren't considering Wiiware - no publicity, not enough built-in storage.

What kind of "publicity" do PSN/XBLA games enjoy. It'd be interesting to compare sales numbers.

Atreides

This is so stupid... even if is just a minority, selling a hard drive would only increse their profit, there is no reason to not to do it.

bdouble

I wasn't too concerned about this before but it is now just getting out of hand. I've never had to delete so many things from any of my consoles. The storage solutions were always just enough but the Wii is just slacking.

Then Nintendo's responses are all over the place. They aren't even flat out denying it anymore its more like an inside joke to them. First its "there are a small number of people that want it and we will listen to them" and now its like well that small number of people don't even matter.

Do something. Make more money and put out an 8 gig HD for christ sake.

Open Source said:

Your client also shares less freedom with controls and less percentage of the sales. Also as said above what publicity? Pretty sure more people have access to Wiiware than PSN and XBLA no?

Tobor

dammitmattt said:
I like my Wii. I really do. I have 8 retail games for it.

However, I have absolutely no interest in fighting the many issues so I won't be bothering with VC or WiiWare games in the future. Hell, I still have 2800 of the 5000 points left that I bought at launch, almost 1 1/2 years ago because dealing with the system is so annoying.

It's not that big a deal, Matt. It would be nice to have more storage, but I downloaded My Life as a King and I had plenty of space. I moved a couple of games to an SD card, but I didn't really need to.

I really do want a better solution, but it is being blown out of proportion.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Zophar said:
How is Mario Galaxy so much different from Mario Sunshine or Mario 64? It's still go from world to world in a semi-nonlinear fashion, complete a handful of objectives with a collectathon in the background, until you fight Bowser in the end.

And even still, you concede that Zelda has done nothing to grow past the standard it set with Ocarina. Going from that standard, Twilight was an easier game, presented barely any exploration, and only a fraction of the sidequests Ocarina and even Wind Waker provided. The dungeons looked great and the art design was fantastic, but that's really all I can give it credit for. That's not to say it's a bad game, because I still think it's pretty good, but to say anything other than the series being on the other side of its peak is delusional.

It brings to question a much deeper problem with Nintendo- these are the same franchises we've seen from anywhere from 10 years to over 20. Sony and Microsoft have always changed their first party image and lineup with each generation with little bleed-over.

And what, calling Mario Galaxy the best Mario game ever isn't an opinion you're trying to impose? This is called a discussion, it's where dissenting opinions clash civilly. I'm not a bitter anti-Nintendo asshole (though I am not happy with the direction they're forcing the industry in to and lament that they've gone down in quality from their golden years) and I'm not making you see it my way unless you want it to be.

How did MS or Sony change their first party image? I dont get it. And SMG is both linear and non linear at times. Its not like 64 or Sunshine save that it uses the third dimension. Why are they still making the same franchises? Because they make money and a lot of people want them, and cause it costs lots of money to make something on the level of Mario or Zelda in terms of mindshare.

Also this has nothing to do with Nintendo's storage stupidity

Atreides said:
This is so stupid... even if is just a minority, selling a hard drive would only increse their profit, there is no reason to not to do it.

I'm sure it's in the pipeline. The USB drives are there for some reason. Maybe this might be it. Otherwise, a faster SD solution would be the next best thing.

thefro

EmCeeGramr said:
Miyamoto also said the limited memory was his one regret with wii hardware. I hope NOE is just out of touch with NCL again.

That's probably it... it seems like NOE doesn't even talk with Japan whereas NOA seems to once in a while.

Jiggy

First Nintendo will not be concentrating any significant marketing spend on the service - journalists attending Nintendo's

preview event were told that it was their job to spread the word about WiiWare titles via reviews and other coverage.
The only reason I haven't yet lost the will to complain about this nonsense, despite believing that it will likely never be fixed, is that the only alternative would be to become the opposite of a viral marketer and start trolling Nintendo on a regular basis--but that would be, you know, kind of ban-worthy and all, so I won't. :(

Or I guess there's that whole boycott option that so many in here seem to be opting for, but I think that's pretty ridiculous. I wouldn't sacrifice two service which, to me, make up probably over 94% of the quality gaming Wii has to offer merely to gain a 0.00000000000000000000000000412% chance that things will be changed due to my non-buying habits. Yes, they should absolutely be making a hard drive (and I've rambled on and on about it). And yes, having to copy a game to SD Card and back sucks for a few minutes--but it doesn't suck nearly as much as missing out on, say, Toki Tori. If I owned a 360 or PS3, I wouldn't boycott a retail game for those systems purely on principle of inconvenient install times, either.

HUELEN10 said:
How do we convey the message to Ninty effectively? Is boycotting making enough noise?
No. Clearly our only way to prove that it's not merely geeks and otaku who have storage issues is to gift loads of games to every Wii-owning friend and family member, which will ensure that a majority of people share in the lack of storage space and the awareness of such.

...Wait, I see how this works. I see through your plan of evil dilemma, Ninty, and you won't sucker me. :/

But that still leaves us getting nowhere fast. :(

angelfly said:
When the sales start to suffer they'll start to care.
This is Nintendo we're talking about; I'm more worried that they'd stop the service altogether because it wasn't profitable enough. :/ They killed off even the Game Boy brand with little hesitation because of the possibility that DS could surpass it, so I have doubts that they'd take great efforts to save the lesser services of VC and WiiWare. (Lesser relative to Game Boy.)

Odrion

Banned
I wish more companies would insult their customers. :/

"Yeah you want us to remove the size capacity on X-Box Live arcade? Yeah fuck you that's something only goombas want addressed you fucking retard."

You guys do remember that the Nintendo Channel tracks Wii Information, right? Does anyone have that list of things that Nintendo is checking?

I do believe that one of the column is # of blocks left, and of course they have access to what you played (including # of VC/WiiWare downloads) and for how long.

It's probably not too hard to find out how many are full/approaching full storage, and have stop buying stuff because of it.

Halcyon776

Neo Member
I just want to point out it's true...

Core gamers are the ones who want downloadable content and are the ones who supports the VC and wiiware the most... not the "casual"

Tobor said:
It's not that big a deal, Matt. It would be nice to have more storage, but I downloaded My Life as a King and I had plenty of space. I moved a couple of games to an SD card, but I didn't really need to.

I really do want a better solution, but it is being blown out of proportion.

I'm not just talking about the storage space. It's just a hassle to use. Especially since my Wii never plays nice with my network and takes forever to do anything (other than play Mario Kart Wii online, which works very well).

I have so much that I don't have time for that I just don't have the patience to deal with it.

HUELEN10

Speevy said:
you still can't run legit games directly from sd cards, just homebrew
God, that sucks. I want to play the REAL DEAL, not stupid roms on emulator apps. those things are never truly perfect.

Yoboman

How easily they slipped into their arrogant ways again. Don't forget, the "geeks and otaku" kept you alive for ten years while you were at the bottom of the barrel, Nintendo

HUELEN10

TheGrayGhost said:
I'm sure it's in the pipeline. The USB drives are there for some reason. Maybe this might be it. Otherwise, a faster SD solution would be the next best thing.
Sd wouldn't solve the fact of the limited number of channels. Too many a time have I had enough space, but not enough channels.

Tobor

AlphaTwo00 said:
You guys do remember that the Nintendo Channel tracks Wii Information, right? Does anyone have that list of things that Nintendo is checking?

I do believe that one of the column is # of blocks left, and of course they have access to what you played (including # of VC/WiiWare downloads) and for how long.

It's probably not too hard to find out how many are full/approaching full storage, and have stop buying stuff because of it.

This would only reinforce the opinion that they don't need to do anything about it.

dammitmattt said:
I'm not just talking about the storage space. It's just a hassle to use. Especially since my Wii never plays nice with my network and takes forever to do anything (other than play Mario Kart Wii online, which works very well).

I have so much that I don't have time for that I just don't have the patience to deal with it.

I just don't have any of those problems. I certainly believe you, I've just had the opposite experience.

Jiggy

AlphaTwo00 said:

The only problem is that despite having 54 VC games and five WiiWare games, I pretty consistently keep 400-600 blocks open just in case, on any given Monday, two or more fairly large games come out and I want to download them both. Even I can't be bothered enough to purposely fill my space back up every time right before I head into the Nintendo Channel, simply to convey the point that we need a storage solution.

Nor should I have to be.

Jiggy37 said:
The only problem is that despite having 54 VC games and five WiiWare games, I pretty consistently keep 400-600 blocks open just in case, on any given Monday, two or more fairly large games come out and I want to download them both. Even I can't be bothered enough to purposely fill my space back up every time right before I head into the Nintendo Channel, simply to convey the point that we need a storage solution.

Nor should I have to be.
Personal preference then, I guess. I havn't bothered clearing out the fridge, so in the meantime, I'm sitting out on buying anything. Not like I don't have a backlog to clear.

Kevin

I started buying VC games but once the Wii memory filled up, I just stopped (even with SD cards available to me). It wouldn't take much effort for Nintendo to release a software patch allowing the use of external USB hard drives. Probably cost them $15 and a stick of chewing gum to pay one of their employees to add that function into a firmware update. Still Nintendo refuses to do so. I can't see this adding any ability to pirate the games since people do that with SD cards already. Nintendo simply does not care about this functionality and what we think about it... for whatever reason!

Mr_Furious said:

Ummm, dude? You're posting on a videogame forum.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
start control forever! otaku go home! peace for the masses!

on a side note, the current storage situation does not bother me one bit - i guess i'm still grateful i can use some kind of backup storage for my precious (downloadable) games at all - just one generation ago i'd have killed for this opportunity. my gc, dc & ps2 collections are entirely on perishable optical media, and i dread the day i'll lose it all.. anyhow, my singular grudge with NCL has always been elsewhere, and for that matter i'd still love to meet the mastermind behind that in a face-to-face, private chat.

Top Bottom