• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurdel

Banned
Got "Detergents" on Spelltower and scored a ridiculous amount of points.

It is by far my favorite word game on the appstore.

GeekyDad

Anyone experience any song stutter while playing Cytus? It's expected that when Game Center loads up in the background for there to be some burps, but I was noticing it throughout an entire tune. Great game, but I'm hoping that's not a constant issue.

Nelo Ice

Banned
You guys are passing me only because I don't have all the updates and new levels... Yet :D

Congrats! :)

I still can't decide on Bike Baron since I read in the other thread the controls just aren't very good once u reach the hardest levels. That and they need to have a quick full restart option like Trials HD.

Gaspode_T

Welder is more like Bejeweled, Spelltower is more like Dungeon Raid...if that makes any sense.

Welder might be easier if you have a hard time searching for words in diagonals/weird directions. I like them both. I also like Jambalaya which focuses on speed of finding words, and has a thing that shows you what words you missed at the end. I haven't gotten the word game from the Canabalt devs but it seems to have high reviews.

Push Panic! re-release, free for a short time. Get it.

mzl.uygwsdkw.320x480-75.jpg

Just dropping in to say that Drop7 is probably the best game released on the iPad/iPhone. I bought it when it was first released and I still play it to this day. So addictive and fun.

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir, but dear god this game is amazing. I've played it more than most recent console releases. Anyway, if you don't have this game, buy it now, yadda yadda.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Yeah, I'm up for changing it. Also, if I put together a list of all iCade compatible titles would you add it somewhere? I'm sure people are tired of searching out what works on it, plus the list on Touch Arcade isn't completely accurate.

Absolutely, I will link to your post in the OP so that you can keep updating it. Send me a pm when it's done

conman

Just dropping in to say that Drop7 is probably the best game released on the iPad/iPhone. I bought it when it was first released and I still play it to this day. So addictive and fun.

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir, but dear god this game is amazing. I've played it more than most recent console releases. Anyway, if you don't have this game, buy it now, yadda yadda.
Never understood it. Tried to get into it based on all the hype. But it never caught on for me.

Dash Kappei

Also guys, feel free to bring to my attention other specific iOS threads I (props to Flunkie for the idea) haven't put in that section of the OP.

I agree. I think it,s the game with the truest gameplay perfection.

Jharp

Fantasy Defense HD and Area 51 Defense are both free.

Too bad both are bad. Why do I keep trying other Tower Defense games, when TowerDefenseHD is already god of the gods-tier.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Realistic Summer Sports Simulator is free now and nothing has entertained me more than watching others trying to figure out what to do with it.

What is the iCade?

Original style:

Current style:

Description from its Wikipedia article:

The iCade's input devices include an 8-way ball-top joystick and eight digital buttons. When placed inside the iCade, the iPad is positioned vertically, while a groove behind the inputs accommodates landscape-mode play. On the front of the device is a "coin slot", which lights up to show that the iCade is powered on, and flashes when its batteries are running low. Power can be sourced from either two AA batteries or an AC adapter. It is also possible to run an iPad docking cable through the underside of the iCade, in order to charge the iPad during play.
Internally, the iCade is essentially a Bluetooth keyboard—the joystick and buttons are simply mapped to 24 different standard keys. Since the iPad natively supports Bluetooth keyboards, it is able to receive inputs from the iCade without any requirement for special software beyond games designed to respond to the inputs that the iCade sends. This system also allows other Bluetooth input devices, such as the iControlPad, to use the same protocol in order to control applications designed for iCade.

Buy it from ION Audio, the manufacturer. Also for sale on Amazon and ThinkGeek.

iCade compatible games. If I need to add a game or I have something wrong please send me a PM or post in the thread about it and I'll fix it.

100 Greatest Hits HD
AAA - An Alien Annihilation
Aemula Oldiers
Air Attack HD
Arcade Jumper
Arkane the Kunoichi
Atari's Greatest Hits
Baby Monkey (Going Backwards On A Pig)
Battlestation Quixotic
Blast Ball
Blazing Star
The Blocks Cometh
Bob's Action Racing
Bomber Cat
Box Cat
Cave Shooter HD
Cave Shooter 2
Caverns of Minos
Cavorite
Cavorite 2
Chuck's Challenge
Chrono&Cash
Commander Pixman
Commodore 64
Compression HD
Cyborg Livestock
Dark Incursion
Dingo (ZX Spectrum)
Diversion
Diversion HD
Don't Run With A Plasma Sword
Donkey Jump
DrawCade
Dynamite Dan II (ZX Spectrum)
Dynamite Jack
DynaStunts
Emerald Mine
Emlyn Hudges International Soccer HD
EnbornX
Final Run
F.Godmom, The Fairy Godmother
Forget-Me-Not
Freeesh
Frogger Decades
Fruity The Snake HD
GoatUp
Gridrunner
Gunman Clive
Grid Runner
Hard Lines
Haunted Hallway
Helium Boy
Hummingz EVO HD
HungryMaster
HyperBowl
iBlackJack HD
Ice Rage
INC
Influx
Interstellar Force
IronStar Arena
iSpherical
Jungool
Katana Jack
Kung Fu Rabbit
League of Evil
League of Evil 2
MagMaze
Match Panic
Meganoid
Metal Slug 3
Midway Arcade
Minotaur Rescue
Minotron 2112
Mission 452
Mode
Monkey Labour
Mos Speedrun
Muffin Knight
Neoteria
No Gravity
Nyan Cat!
P1XL Party
Pac-Man for iPad
Paper Monsters
Phoenix HD
Pix'n Love Rush DX
Plum Crazy
Puzzle Bebop
Puzzle Bot Blast
Retro Dust HD
Retro Games HD
Retroid
RobotRiot
Rock Crush
Rocket Chimp
RPG Quest
Saucerlifter! Heavy Disc
Shogun
Shuttle Scuttle
Sideways Racing
Silverfish MAX
Sky Diver Classic
Smash Toons
Space Inversion
Space Inversion 2 HD
Space Inversion Puzzle
Spectaculator, ZX Spectrum Emulator
Specter 3D
Spellsword
Stardash
Starstrike II (ZX Spectrum)
Super Crate Box
Super Crossfire HD
Super Drill Panic
Super Lemonade Factory
Super Mega Worm
Super Mega Worm vs Santa
Super Ox Wars
Temple Run
Terra Noctis
The Exterminator
Torpedo Run
Velocispider
Warblade HD
Wizard Ops
Zombie Diversion
Zombie Meatballs HD
ZX Spectrum Elite Collection HD

If you managed to get iMAME from the Appstore while it was there, that is also compatible with iCade. And if your device is jailbroken there is a MAME app that will work with iCade as well.

Ranger X

It's been a while I tried some new platformers, I feel like I played them all (well, the worthy ones)..

Any platformer games suggestions?

Preferably tight experiences like League of Evil...

It's been a while I tried some new platformers, I feel like I played them all (well, the worthy ones)..

Someone recommended Cheeseman (supermeatboy kind of game) in iOS thread 3 and I enjoyed it. I think its still free right now too.

Controls are tight, but I haven't played League of Evil so I can't compare.

otmane

Did you try Wind-up knight? It's mainly a runner-platformer and my favorite game on iOS. I just got all the achievements and enjoyed every bit!

smuttlegiaco

Neo Member
tomorrow, 19th january, Time of Heroes - our 3D turn-based strategy game will become available worldwide. For the first three days only 0.99$, after that 2.99$.

Here's the link to our Trailer.

And a few screenshots:

001_title.png

003_battle.png

005_map.png

008_map.png

015_screen.png

013_map.png

Have fun!!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Cue Alextended...

Looks pretty neat though, is that an iPad game? Never played an RTS on iOS before, can't really argue with that price though.

Dash Kappei

Awesome work LastWindow, gonna update the OP tonight.

Edit: so only Pac-Man is compatible, not Ms. Pac-Man as well? :/

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Soul Calibur is out in NZ. Price is $15.99 NZ dollars. Don't know what that translates to, but it sure aint 99 cents

edit: oh, and that price is 20% off release sale price lol

Reese-015

Anyone experience any song stutter while playing Cytus? It's expected that when Game Center loads up in the background for there to be some burps, but I was noticing it throughout an entire tune. Great game, but I'm hoping that's not a constant issue.

Yup. Pretty much my biggest gripe with the game. Though the stutter and performance issues are minor, they are very disruptive to the experience in a rhythm game. Needs to be fixed.

Infinity Field is the best iOS game. Hands down.

I can't stop playing it
angry.gif

Yes. YES. I don't think there's anything I've enjoyed as much as IF's Insane mode on the platform. So so good... And it's prettier not just than other GW clones on iOS, it's prettier than most GW-ish games on ANY platform. Insane mode is total twin-stick psychedelic bliss.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm a huge Spell Tower fan, and there's a new one coming on thursday called Puzzlejuice which is pretty darn rad too (it's tetris meets spell tower).

All these word games (many great ones too), but can't anyone make a Wordtris clone? I always liked that game even more than tetris, due to the random nature of it when you start shifting all the letters down as the board fills up and you get closer to losing, but then one column shifts and it creates a long chains of words by accident.

Cromat

What's the point in having a fighting game without multiplayer?
I didn't get the people who bought Tekken for PSP either. These games are only fun when playing against human opponents.

No online multiplayer = no point

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What's the point in having a fighting game without multiplayer?
I didn't get the people who bought Tekken for PSP either. These games are only fun when playing against human opponents.
You can play Tekken multiplayer on PSP... Just not online. But you at least only need 1 copy of the game. So if you have friends with PSPs that you can occasionally meet, it's a good purchase as it's a good port. Reminded some younger days for me, when we used to gather a bunch at someone's house and play Tekken 3 to death. Of course we didn't play the PSP game as often together but spent a lot of time practicing for when we could meet too, or trying to beat each other's survival score without cheese characters, so definitely got loads of play time out of it. Saying online is a must is like saying fighting games are only worthwhile this gen... Local is still best and has no issues which online introduces anyway, online is just a welcome convenience for when you can't have the better experience. Which if you can't ever have I guess makes it a must. But I personally wouldn't get a fighting game I can't play with friends offline at all anyway, hence why I was speaking of 5 there, things changed since so I never got 6.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Soul Calibur is out in NZ. Price is $15.99 NZ dollars. Don't know what that translates to, but it sure aint 99 cents

edit: oh, and that price is 20% off release sale price lol

I was just thinking of grabbing a new iTunes card, to snag Soul Calibur, but I'm not spending more than $5 on it.

Namco needs to come down to earth a bit with their pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom