• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

ghostmind

Here is the packaging for all Star Wars merchandise, starting on September 4th.

JD85J59.jpg

Of course each product will see some variation, but this will be the basic template.

The press release:

STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS PRODUCTS TO ARRIVE ON ‘FORCE FRIDAY,’ SEPTEMBER 4
The next generation of Star Wars toys, collectibles, books, and apparel is in range.

StarWars.com is thrilled to announce that Star Wars: The Force Awakens products will land in our galaxy on September 4, 2015, at 12:01 a.m. — “Force Friday” — with stores around the world opening their doors at midnight for a special celebration of all things Star Wars. It will be a day long remembered.

“Every lightsaber, every action figure, every LEGO set tells a story for generations of Star Wars fans, and this global event is a celebration of those stories. We’re excited to be part of the countdown to this enormous movie moment,” said Josh Silverman, executive vice president, global licensing, Disney Consumer Products.

Fans wanting to be the first to get their hands on Star Wars: The Force Awakens merchandise can set their hyperspace and social media coordinates now: They will be able to visit their local retailer starting at midnight on September 4, and are encouraged to document their experience using the hashtags #ForceFriday and #MidnightMadness. A wide-range of products — from toys and collectibles, to books and comics, ebooks and apps, to apparel and lifestyle accessories — will be available at mass retailers and Disney Store locations worldwide, as well as on DisneyStore.com.

Also revealed here for the first time is the packaging for Star Wars: The Force Awakens products, featuring the shadowy new villain, Kylo Ren. The ominous shadowy figure and the red lightsaber he wields will be featured on Star Wars product packaging beginning September 4, 2015. Let the countdown begin.

Rootbeer

Banned
Gotta track down a Vanity Fair tomorrow. The magazine sections in stores are so small these days... hope Target has it.

curb

Banned
I watched the unfinished Clone Wars "Bad Batch" arc on the Star Wars website Friday. Not bad. I'm glad that the remaining stories from that season are getting out in various forms.

Rootbeer

Banned
The May 4th date is what kept being quoted. Looking forward to those photos, and the issue next week.

I remember the Episode I and Episode III covers when they hit. I see the Ep II issue cover in /Film's article, that one passed me by... it's far more low key.
Here is the packaging for all Star Wars merchandise, starting on September 4th.
Looking great. Remember the hasbro stand-in packaging they showed earlier this year?

http://www.rebelscum.com/2015-Celeb...asbro-The-Black-Series-first-look/image22.asp

It's a ways off but the overall color scheme is in the same direction. The Black Series packaging has never adhered to the overall brand packaging anyway, this may be about as close as it gets.

Rootbeer

Banned
Some reveals/clarifications/interesting stuff from the Ultimate Star Wars book regarding the new canon, from the StarWars Timeline Gold FB from first read-through. If some of them seem obvious, well, they are mentioned due to some people having doubts before this book released:
-that was really Qui-Gon's spirit on Mortis.
-Plagueis *is* still Sidious' Sith Master; Plagueis' species not mentioned
-Padme was supervisor of Theed on Naboo and became queen at age 14 still.
-Padme joined the Apprentice Legislators at age 8, then supervises Theed at age 12.
-Son of Dathomir *is* part of Canon, not just Legends. It is referenced repeatedly in Ultimate Star Wars.
-Maul's tattoos are because he is a Nightbrother, BUT the Nightbrothers seem to have them to symbolize their philosophical devotion to the Dark Side.
-Aayla was Quinlan's Padawan.
-Aurra Sing's Force ability background from Legends has been entirely scrubbed out, it seems.
-The Tusken who attacks Luke in ANH is still URoRRuR’R’R.
-Looks like Ki-Adi-Mundi still joins the Jedi Council just prior to the Battle of Naboo.
-Ahsoka was born on Shili. She is found by Plo Koon at age 3.
-The Eeth Koth retcon of him being shot down on Geonosis and thought dead but coming back to active duty remains in Canon, even though the source that claimed he was dead isn't.
-Yes, Coleman Trebor replaced Yarael Poof, but under unknown circumstances.
-Yaddle doesn't lose her spot on the JC by dying anymore, it seems. She just chooses to step back and take a less active role in Jedi affairs after Naboo.
-Interesting. They sure make it sound in Ultimate Star Wars like Luminara died on Kashyyyk, rather than in custody. It says "Luminara does not escape their ambush." I guess that could mean capture.
-Interesting. No mention in Jango's profile in USW of him being a Mandalorian, just that he uses "advanced Mandalorian armor." His homeworld remains Concord Dawn.
-No word on Shaak Ti after she fails to protect Palpy from being captured by Grievous. Perhaps a reference to Tartakovsky?
-In Canon, Aayla is a Master, not a Knight, by the time of ROTS.
-Boba "falls into the mouth of the sarlacc." Nothing says in USW that he was killed.
-Confirmation: In Canon, Dooku became the Sith Apprentice and THEN left the Jedi Order, so the events recounted in Season 6 of TCW do indeed make sense, at least in Canon, if not in Legends entirely.
-Grievous is still noted as Kaleesh from Kalee, but no reference at all to his original pre-cyborg name, only that they make it sound like it wasn't "Grievous."
-Hondo's pirates are the "Ohnaka Gang."
-Wolffe's eye is still lost to Asajj on Khorm, even though In Service of the Republic isn't canon.
-Anakin rebuidling T0D0 360 as a way of explaining the order of the character's arc in light of TCW episode order *is* canon.
-Satine's faction is still the "New Mandalorians."
-Bo-Katan is Bo-Katan Kryze. She DOES share Satine's last name, just doesn't tend to use it.
-Saw Garrera becomes a key figure in the rebellion against the Empire. No context of where that comes from, though.
-No indication of when, but Lando loses the Falcon to Han *after* his appearance in Rebels.
-Han's debt to Jabba comes before his legendary Kessel Run. He is also born on Corellia and quickly orphaned.
-The deleted scene of Biggs visiting Luke on Tatooine in ANH *is canon*.
-No Canon explanation for Anakin somehow retaining his spirit after death.
-No references to Ewoks or Ewoks telemovies in USW
-Ecclessis Figg still founded Cloud City in Canon.
-Gorax still exist on Endor in Canon.
-Duloks still exist.
-Sounds like in Canon Anakin's new arm from AOTC is the same one as in ROTS, even though they don't look quite the same.
-References to Ezra's Gamble and journal, which makes sense, given that the authors are also authors of USW.
-Leia's sporting blaster in ANH is the model known as "Satine's Lament," named after Satine Kryze.
-The bulk of tech manufacturers (Baktoid, Czerka, etc.) still exist in Canon.
-Jabba's sail barge is still the Khetanna.
-Apparently that was the Hound's Tooth in TCW after all.
-Interesting. Anakin's Eta-2 Jedi Interceptor that is heavily damaged in the last few eps of Season 5 of TCW is not REPLACED with the Eta-2 seen in ROTS. It is the same one, just repaired.
-Vader's TIE Advanced is simply a TIE Advanced x1 "model." The Inquisitor's is a/the TIE Advanced x1 "prototype."

Some reveals/clarifications/interesting stuff from the Ultimate Star Wars book regarding the new canon, from the StarWars Timeline Gold FB from first read-through. If some of them seem obvious, well, they are mentioned due to some people having doubts before this book released:

I had a feeling they wouldn't confirm that Boba died.

Those cakes and biscuits look great Jables. Making me feel hungry.

Driver looks badass. Confirmed. Lupita Nyongo is playing Maz Kanata too.

nB6GyxM.png

Some more pics from Vanity Fair.

star_wars_the_force_awakens_2-620x421.jpg

5543ca95db753b82389cbd94_vanity-fair-star-wars-02.jpg

I think I can update the cast a bit now in the OP.

Ezalc

Good to see that Quinlan is still a thing in the new canon. Hopefully they still have him survive the purge and show up in Rebels somewhere.

Cheebo

Banned
Good to see that Quinlan is still a thing in the new canon. Hopefully they still have him survive the purge and show up in Rebels somewhere.

He was a thing in canon for a long while. He was in The Clone Wars. He is nothing like the old EU Quinlan though. Much more of a more traditional good guy Jedi, but with a sarcastic side however.

Ezalc

He was a thing in canon for a long while. He was in The Clone Wars. He is nothing like the old EU Quinlan though. Much more of a more traditional good guy Jedi, but with a sarcastic side however.

Yeah I just remembered that he's in The Clone Wars, he's only appeared in one episode that I've seen so far. I just meant that I hope he survives the purge and goes through some shit but still continues being the sarcastic smartass he is.

Loving the new pics. Look great.
Good to have real troopers again.

That creature pic is full of fun, too. That droid is a new design, right? I've been looking forward to seeing what they do with droids considering how different the OT designs looked from the PT designs.
It looks simple and a little awkward, which is exactly what I wanted to match with the OT. Looks like a protocol droid made by a Sullustan (Lando's fishy copilot from ROTJ).

I'm excited to see what they do with droid puppets, too. The kind people cant put on suits for like the awkward yet cool security robot in Jabba's palace.

d1rtn4p

Hmmm, dude in black doesn't look very mean. He looks like a teen that isn't getting what he wants? :) Is he the new main bad guy?

Confirmation that Gwendoline Christie is playing Captain Phasma is on the Making Star Wars site. It's a scan so I'll take it off until Vanity Fair post it on their site.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
We probably want to be careful with what we post. Pretty sure that Phasma image is a magazine scan and not an officially released pic.

Zombine

Banned
One thing I appreciate that the finale of Season 1 of Rebels highlighted was that
The Inquisitor lost due to the flamboyance of his light saber design, and the critical flaw in the middle. It was nice seeing Kanan take advantage of that.

curb

Banned
One thing I appreciate that the finale of Season 1 of Rebels highlighted was that
The Inquisitor lost due to the flamboyance of his light saber design, and the critical flaw in the middle. It was nice seeing Kanan take advantage of that.

I think he lost because he just stood there and let Kanaan split his fancy saber without attempting to stop him :p

I believe that's called Darth-Maulin'

Ezalc

I don't believe that's the case at all. If anything you'd have to be incredibly skilled to be able to do what Kanan did, the only thing is that the Inquisitor was just standing there that's why Kanan was able to do what he did. I don't think Kanan got any more skilled than he was before, he just has his motivation as a jedi back. Which brings me to my question, Kanan never rose above the rank of a padawan correct? I mean technically.

I don't believe that's the case at all. If anything you'd have to be incredibly skilled to be able to do what Kanan did, the only thing is that the Inquisitor was just standing there that's why Kanan was able to do what he did. I don't think Kanan got any more skilled than he was before, he just has his motivation as a jedi back. Which brings me to my question, Kanan never rose above the rank of a padawan correct? I mean technically.

Nope, he was a padawan at the time of Order 66. His padawan years are being told in the comic series Kanan the Last Padawan. #1 was a good read.

Tecl0n

Yes! They changed ep VII premiere date in Argentina from jan 10 to dec 17, i will not have to evade internet spoilers for a month.

Pastry

Banned
Y'all think we'll hear about or see Ezra and Kanan in the movie? By that point Ezra would be 40 or 50 and it'd be strange if they weren't involved in the Resistance.

Zombine

Banned
Y'all think we'll hear about or see Ezra and Kanan in the movie? By that point Ezra would be 40 or 50 and it'd be strange if they weren't involved in the Resistance.

My guess is that we'll find out more about characters like that in other movies.

Clone wars never ended, it just got a name change :)

Rebels is too good. Can't wait till June.

Rex!

I love Clone Wars. I want to love Rebels. I want to feel like it's just a continuation of the same show in a different era. But it's not happening for me yet. :/

However those last couple episodes of Season 1 really felt like what I've been hoping for and the S2 trailer looks like this are picking up. I really hope I can get into it with the new season.

TCW has a bumpy start, too. So did my favorite TV show ever ST:TNG. Hoping this picks it up like they did.

GamerSoul

Sup guys, I have never seen a Star Wars Movie from start to end. Which movies would you recommend watching if I could only watch a few of them?

Sup guys, I have never seen a Star Wars Movie from start to end. Which movies would you recommend watching if I could only watch a few of them?

Start with Episode 4 A New Hope. That's the original.

Like it? Go on to Episode 5 The Empire Strikes Back. The sequel.

Need more? Episode 6 Return of the Jedi. Last of the originals.

GamerSoul

Start with Episode 4 A New Hope. That's the original.

Like it? Go on to Episode 5 The Empire Strikes Back. The sequel.

Need more? Episode 6 Return of the Jedi. Last of the originals.

Haha awesome, thank you for the road map! Cant wait to give the series a real shot.

Haha awesome, thank you for the road map! Cant wait to give the series a real shot.

My personal favorite is Empire Strikes Back but it isn't going to make much sense without the one preceding it, which is why I recommend A New Hope first.

Come back and give opinions after watching!

GamerSoul

My personal favorite is Empire Strikes Back but it isn't going to make much sense without the one preceding it, which is why I recommend A New Hope first.

Come back and give opinions after watching!
Sure thing, ill start watching ep 4 soon. Should be interesting to see how the movies hold up.

Sure thing, ill start watching ep 4 soon. Should be interesting to see how the movies hold up.

Also, when it comes to 4 and 5, watch whatever version you want and youll do okay. Fans go back and forth about the versions but overall it wont change a non-fan's opinion very much.

Except I think if you later decide to watch ep6 it would be worth your time to seek out the 'Harmy's Despecialized' edition. That one had the most significant changes and usually not for the better.

My girlfriend came late to the Star Wars party too and decided that ep6 was her favorite only after seeing the original Harmy's verison.

Top Bottom