• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Chrange

Banned
ram said:
yeah, i know darksiders looks mediocre and nothing like you would expect from a 2010 game.

4jvzf7.jpg

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Amir0x said:
It's always amusing to me how peoples memories of how things look completely fucking clashes with reality.

Darksiders looks infinitely better than Primal, and the scale is also infinitely larger. I'm not going to say the tearing issues aren't bad or anything, I don't know, but I do know the total visual package is a completely different league than Primal. I've played Primal and I've seen many videos of Darksiders now. It's an absurd comparison and one that could only be made in the absence of facts.

To answer your question about the dungeons, there are fifteen environments including the prologue and ending. 5 of those environments are boss dungeons of sorts.

DrPirate

Banned
Help request for the first dungeon

I have to find three swords to put into 3 statues so I can unlock the key to open the barrier so I can proceed. I found the sword in the room with the rotating bridge, and the sword in the room with the rising and falling pillars. The third room is absolutely empty though, and I can't seem to find where the third sword is. Help please.

DieH@rd

Banned
DrPirate said:

I have to find three swords to put into 3 statues so I can unlock the key to open the barrier so I can proceed. I found the sword in the room with the rotating bridge, and the sword in the room with the rising and falling pillars. The third room is absolutely empty though, and I can't seem to find where the third sword is. Help please.

Oh damn, i watched the livestream of that section. But i cant recall any directions, sorry.

RS4-

DrPirate said:

edit - in the room with the rising pillars, I think that's where you get the key to unlock the blue gate, which leads to the third sword.

Watching a live stream, this game wasn't even on my radar until now. I really dig the artstyle. It looks like what WoW might if it ran on a modern day engine. I like it :D

S1kkZ

finished the game, took me 15 hours on normal. to get everything, it should take 18-20 hours.
one of the best action adventure games on next gen systems, feels like an adult zelda with all the fat cut off, mixed with more rpg elements.
+
-great art style. the design of the creatures and characters is just fantastic.
-no pop-ups or texture reloading
-great voice work
-nice story. nothing too epic but it gets the job done and keeps you entertained.
-awesome dungeon design with great puzzles
-great bossfights
-the cutscenes are very good, nice (virtual) camera work
-lot of stuff to buy and level up
-exploration and puzzles take up most of your time (total game time 15 hours, time in combat 3 hours)

-
-tearing (360). no too bad, you get used to it very quickly (and i REALLY hate tearing). nothing that should keep you from buying the game
-the last boss is lame and way to easy
-game is pretty linear (you can still explore all the areas you visited before and use the new items to access new areas, but its all optional)
-open ending (but at the same time, its pretty awesome)
-some standard enemies and fighting against many of them, is just unfair
-overall, the game is too easy on normal
-not enough dungeons and boss battles
-no new game+, no replay value
after the credits it takes you back to the main menu, thats it. you have to load the last save if you want to go back.

if you want something like zelda on ps3/360, buy it. if you want a great action adventure game, buy it.

Game is pretty Damn fun, I only have one minor complaint and that is War needs some AA lol. The combat gets way more fun once you get more upgrades and the dungeons so far are fun.

ram said:
yeah, i know darksiders looks mediocre and nothing like you would expect from a 2010 game.

Good thing I bought it in 2009.

I'm in the 4th dungeon now and I'm having a blast. Great game. Would buy again. :)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
ram said:
darksiders looks like a upscaled ps2 - bad textures, ugly characters, tearing and aliasing issues. play primal in progressive scan and the game kicks the shit out of darksiders in terms of visuals.

:-|

DrPirate

Banned
Got it, and conquered the boss, and made my way to the second temple.

Game was initially mediocre, but it grew on me really fast. I hated the combat at first, but now that it clicked, I'm pulling off combos and obliterating groups of foes at a time.

Game is actually awesome. Worth 60 bucks.

Amir0x

Banned
Caspel said:
To answer your question about the dungeons, there are fifteen environments including the prologue and ending. 5 of those environments are boss dungeons of sorts.

Thanks. I've got my pre-order in at Amazon for the 360. I thought if I was going to get the game, might as well get Darksider's Avatar armor heh.

ram said:

But I thought you said it simply looks like an upscaled PS2 game, and that Primal looks way better? Now we've settled on "nothing like you would expect from a 2010 game"? Well, maybe I'll settle on it looking like something I'd expect from a 2009 game.

I love the way people can completely forget what a PS2 game looks like when put in the shadow of next-generation titles. It's so bizarre. There is no possible way anybody can seriously try to argue Primal looks better than this game, but here we are.

NinjaFusion said:
lol... ridiculous.

go back and play some last gen games.
I do all the time and like I said, it looks like it's stuck between x-box and 360 somewhere in the middle.
Darksiders simply fails to impress me. It also got some very strange last gen physics going on.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Haven't read the entire thread but I intend on buying this game. PS3 or X360? Thanks :)

Denzar

S1kkZ said:
finished the game, took me 15 hours on normal. to get everything, it should take 18-20 hours.
one of the best action adventure games on next gen systems, feels like an adult zelda with all the fat cut off, mixed with more rpg elements.
+
-great art style. the design of the creatures and characters is just fantastic.
-no pop-ups or texture reloading
-great voice work
-nice story. nothing too epic but it gets the job done and keeps you entertained.
-awesome dungeon design with great puzzles
-great bossfights
-the cutscenes are very good, nice (virtual) camera work
-lot of stuff to buy and level up
-exploration and puzzles take up most of your time (total game time 15 hours, time in combat 3 hours)

-
-tearing (360). no too bad, you get used to it very quickly (and i REALLY hate tearing). nothing that should keep you from buying the game
-the last boss is lame and way to easy
-game is pretty linear (you can still explore all the areas you visited before and use the new items to access new areas, but its all optional)
-open ending (but at the same time, its pretty awesome)
-some standard enemies and fighting against many of them, is just unfair
-overall, the game is too easy on normal
after the credits it takes you back to the main menu, thats it. you have to load the last save if you want to go back.

if you want something like zelda on ps3/360, buy it. if you want a great action adventure game, buy it.

So, it's worth the full price?

Anyone in USA willing to help me in getting a PS3 copy with Guide to Underwold book? I am from Turkey so it is not possible to get it from Gamestop. Please PM me about the details. Thanks

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I'm sorry if this has already been brought up, but did anyone else used to obsessively follow the development of the failed Dragonkind, JoeMad's much-hyped first foray into gaming?

At the time, I was absolutely obsessed with Battle Chasers and Joe Mad's art in general, the idea of playing a Zelda-esque adventure designed by him was the end-all-be-all of holy grails for me.

So I guess Darksiders is a realization of that long held dream for me, though I'm kinda dissapointed the main character looks so fucking ginormous and that the world isn't more like Battle Chasers or Dragonkind.

Dragonkind_2pe.jpg

dragonkind_790screen001.jpg

But OH WELL. It still looks pretty fucking awesome and I'll be trading in my unwanted xmas gift of Assassin's Creed 2 for this game when it hits shelves.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm happy the art looks like what it does and not like what that game does, Kodiak. Imo, that's really ugly art.

Wallach

Amir0x said:
I'm happy the art looks like what it does and not like what that game does, Kodiak. Imo, that's really ugly art.

Was going to say the same thing. Very glad they didn't use that shit.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Wallach said:
Was going to say the same thing. Very glad they didn't use that shit.

dude, 8 years ago that shit looked fucking incredible. But I was talking more about the overall setting being more intriguing.

also, is anyone breaking street date on this game or am I gonna have to wait until tuesday?

ezekial45 said:
Whats wrong with ACII?

nothing, but I didn't enjoy the first one at all and have no interest in it's sequel.

S1kkZ said:

will likely still be getting, but i've always suspected the first part, & am kinda discouraged (& confused) to hear the second... tho i guess there's no game+ in zelda, either...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm a little surprised we haven't gotten any new reviews today. I guess most outlets have taken the week off and we'll get more starting Monday.

TimeLike

DieH@rd said:
x360 = some tearing
ps3 = no tearing

both are fine, you chose.

If this is what some tearing looks like, then I can't imagine what moderate or excessive tearing looks like. This game tears all the time. I'm about three hours into it and it still bothers the hell out of me. Basically, if you're moving the camera, then the screen is flickering and tearing. It's very distracting. I'm not some stuck up graphics snob either. I didn't even know what tearing was until I started playing this game.

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
okay guys, here's the problem. I have Arkham Asylum sitting in a shrink wrap in my living room. I don't know if I should play that or return it and get darksiders instead. I'm playing Assassin's Creed 2 right now and it's getting boring, like really repetitive and I just got the flying machine in Venice.

Tokubetsu

Kodiak said:
I'm sorry if this has already been brought up, but did anyone else used to obsessively follow the development of the failed Dragonkind, JoeMad's much-hyped first foray into gaming?

At the time, I was absolutely obsessed with Battle Chasers and Joe Mad's art in general, the idea of playing a Zelda-esque adventure designed by him was the end-all-be-all of holy grails for me.

So I guess Darksiders is a realization of that long held dream for me, though I'm kinda dissapointed the main character looks so fucking ginormous and that the world isn't more like Battle Chasers or Dragonkind.

Dragonkind_2pe.jpg

dragonkind_790screen001.jpg

But OH WELL. It still looks pretty fucking awesome and I'll be trading in my unwanted xmas gift of Assassin's Creed 2 for this game when it hits shelves.

haha man, I was with you. I used to hop on gamespot.com like every week to see if they announced anything new about it until it was finally cancelled. It crushed 15 year old me.

SamBishop

Banned
ZealousD said:
I'm a little surprised we haven't gotten any new reviews today. I guess most outlets have taken the week off and we'll get more starting Monday.

Mine will go up tomorrow. I just spent the bulk of the day driving up from LA and I'm too wiped to try to put my thoughts together. I'm gonna fire up some Cosmos, ooh and ahh at the universe for about 20 seconds and then pass out.

sinnergy

Is there a particular reason why the X360 version has more screentearing? Normally for multiplatform games the X360 versions are a little better? More effects or additional AA?

If not: do both versions look the same? Cos I will get the best version if that means the PS3 version

Thanks

DieH@rd

Banned
rainer516 said:
okay guys, here's the problem. I have Arkham Asylum sitting in a shrink wrap in my living room. I don't know if I should play that or return it and get darksiders instead. I'm playing Assassin's Creed 2 right now and it's getting boring, like really repetitive and I just got the flying machine in Venice.

Dont miss playing Arkham, it really is a great game.

Railer

rainer516 said:

You should NOT miss out on Batman: Arkham Asylum, it's an amazing game.

El-Suave

rainer516 said:

I also recommend not missing out on Arkham Asylum - especially if you already have it. You could try to finish AC2 as quickly as possible and then trade that in if you don't like it that much.

Nemesis_

Nemesis556 said:
Anyway, I've missed a piece of this armour which is in the Twilight Cathedral on the platform that rises up after placing three swords on it (just before fighting Tiamat). Upon returning the platform is still raised and I cannot get up - is this right? =( Have I missed it.

Where did you find a map and compass? I didn't get either of them in the Cathedral. >_>

If anyone could help me out with this I would be really appreciative. =)

Feindflug

sinnergy said:
Is there a particular reason why the X360 version has more screentearing? Normally for multiplatform games the X360 versions are a little better? More effects or additional AA?

If not: do both versions look the same? Cos I will get the best version if that means the PS3 version

Thanks

There's no detailed comparison yet to let us know what are the graphical differences between the two version besides the constant tearing in the 360 version and the supposedly smoother frame-rate/less tearing on the 360.

Also this is what the General Manager of Vigil said in a thread about the technical problems of the 360 version asking about a patch/fix at the forums of the official site:

dadams said:
We will do our best to patch any persistent problems people are having...

I guess there is still hope. :)

ram

TimeLike said:
If this is what some tearing looks like, then I can't imagine what moderate or excessive tearing looks like. This game tears all the time. I'm about three hours into it and it still bothers the hell out of me. Basically, if you're moving the camera, then the screen is flickering and tearing. It's very distracting. I'm not some stuck up graphics snob either. I didn't even know what tearing was until I started playing this game.

so bad? the ps3 has very little tearing - but the aliasing (outside of dungeons) is driving me crazy. heck i thought this stuff died out with the ps2.

and they should fix the camera - its way to low behind war and i dont wanna adjust my view every five footsteps.

sinnergy

Feindflug said:
There's no detailed comparison yet to let us know what are the graphical differences between the two version besides the constant tearing in the 360 version and the supposedly smoother frame-rate/less tearing on the 360.

Also this is what the General Manager of Vigil said in a thread about the technical problems of the 360 version asking about a patch/fix at the forums of the official site:

I guess there is still hope. :)

Thanks!

Railer

ram said:
so bad? the ps3 has very little tearing - but the aliasing (outside of dungeons) is driving me crazy. heck i thought this stuff died out with the ps2.

and they should fix the camera - its way to low behind war and i dont wanna adjust my view every five footsteps.

How's the frame rate on the PS3 version ?

Top Bottom