• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

I just don't think they should bend the rules for PUBG's sake when in all likelihood an early access game with the same impact will not happen again anytime soon.

Otherwise do early access games qualify every year that they exist in early access?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'd say the only distinction is that they usually don't play early access games.

If you put in 100+ hours like vinny and dan did would your experience suddenly not count?

Zaph

The early access thing is tricky. If it "qualifies" for debate this year (and doesn't win), then they can't debate it again in its release year.

I think they should just get rid of the concept of Early Access entirely if the game is asking for money on a public marketplace like Steam or Xbox (instead of a private community i.e Star Citizen). That's a released game, you're not kidding anybody with some arbitrary date. Fuck em.

The early access thing is tricky. If it "qualifies" for debate this year (and doesn't win), then they can't debate it again in its release year.

I think they should just get rid of the concept of Early Access entirely if the game is asking for money on a public marketplace like Steam or Xbox (instead of a private community i.e Star Citizen). That's a released game, you're not kidding anybody with some arbitrary date. Fuck em.

Then those games should qualify the year you can first purchase them, and not qualify in subsequent years even if they get "released", regardless of when Giant Bomb discovers them or whether or not they consider them that first year.

patapuf

I just don't think they should bend the rules for PUBG's sake when in all likelihood an early access game with the same impact will not happen again anytime soon.

Otherwise do early access games qualify every year that they exist in early access?

The qualify in the year you can buy them. Like everything else.

I can't think of any early access game that would have any chance at Goty if it's in early access for longer than a year - even if the eventual release is exellent. All the conversation and exitement happens in year 1. The gaming press doesn't really have an attention span for anything for longer than that, even the biggest titles.

The one exeption is super limited builds where you only see a fraction of the game like Divinity OS 2.

Telfo

is it going to be worth playing Destiny 2 if I am planning to play it exclusively by myself? I don't really have time for planned events and stuff and it would mainly just be hopping on and playing alone for an hour or two here and there.

TraBuch

Banned
Would Playerunknown describe BG's current state as a "full release"? If yes, it should qualify. If no, it shouldn't.

BearPawB

Banned
The truth is it should have always counted by when you can pay for it and play it.

The game is our. No it’s not done no it’s not perfect. But the zeitgeist is now and it is clearly a game that has dominated 2017. Tonignore it because of the nature of release is a bit silly to me. You know this time next year there is 0 chance it makes the top 10, too many actually new games will have come out.

If you ignore pubg now you are basically ignoring it forever.

These are silly game of the year awards, I don’t get why it has to have strict rules

patapuf

Just seems easier to only consider games when they declare themselves "out". If the gaming zeitgeist has moved on by then, so be it.

It's easier, but I consider "goty" a snapshot of the year. They played - and liked - a lot of PUBG (and dead cells), those games never being part of deliberations at the end of the year because of a technicality seems kind of a shame. Do we not want the fight of Zelda or Destiny 2 vs PUBG?

PUBG should be eligible for goty despite being an early access because when the rule was made that it has to be 1.0 to even be considered, I doubt that they thought that an ea game could be so good.

Like in college football, when division 2 Appalachian State beat a top 5 ranked Michigan in the big house, they had to change the rules of the polling so that App State could get ranked with other D1 schools since prior to that game, no D2 school was eligible since no one thought it was possible for them to actually deserve a top 25 ranking.

Who is their strategy/RPG duder nowadays? Between XCOM 2 a week ago, Divinity: Original Sin 2 next week, and Total Warhammer at the end of the month (plus stuff like Rabbids) it's kinda packed right now.

QLs pls.

This is Brad's long game to nominate (and give GotY) to DotA 2 forever and ever.

TraBuch

Banned
PUBG should be eligible for goty despite being an early access because when the rule was made that it has to be 1.0 to even be considered, I doubt that they thought that an ea game could be so good.

Like in college football, when division 2 Appalachian State beat a top 5 ranked Michigan in the big house, they had to change the rules of the polling so that App State could get ranked with other D1 schools since prior to that game, no D2 school was eligible since no one thought it was possible for them to actually deserve a top 25 ranking.
And they still didn't deserve a top 25 ranking.

BTA

They've played so much PUBG that it's worth talking about. It'll be silly if it doesn't get to be talked about on technicalities; they likely will not continue playing it as much next year.

If they want to separate "game they enjoyed the most" from "best game" then just make a new category as always. Their rules are their own; if something just gets in the way of what they want to do, it's outdated.

Note that I say this while thinking the discussion around PUBG in the GOTY arguments will be kinda boring at best but I'd just rather they deal with some of that in advance.

patapuf

Who is their strategy/RPG duder nowadays? Between XCOM 2 a week ago, Divinity: Original Sin 2 next week, and Total Warhammer at the end of the month (plus stuff like Rabbids) it's kinda packed right now.

Sadly, i don't think they have anyone outside of individual favourites like Alex and Civ. They kind of don't have anyone for CRPG's either (divinity, shadowrun, pillars, ect. all got more or less ingored). Vinny might try one those, but not all of them.

Hindl

The truth is it should have always counted by when you can pay for it and play it.

The game is our. No it's not done no it's not perfect. But the zeitgeist is now and it is clearly a game that has dominated 2017. Tonignore it because of the nature of release is a bit silly to me. You know this time next year there is 0 chance it makes the top 10, too many actually new games will have come out.

If you ignore pubg now you are basically ignoring it forever.

These are silly game of the year awards, I don't get why it has to have strict rules
Yeah I understand Jeff's position and in a vacuum I understand the logic. But I doubt they'll still be playing PUBG next year if it gets delayed and then they'll have to think back a year to get it on the list. Ultimately the best case scenario is to change the rules for next year like Jeff said, but PUBG has a full release this year

oti

Banned
It would be suuuuch a huge bummer if PUBG wasn't eligible.
My heart couldn't take this injustice.

daveo42

Banned
I get the reasoning why Early Access games aren't currently considered for GotY because of how long a game can remain in a playable, yet supposedly incomplete state. Do these games get a pass twice, once when it's still in EA and one later when it actually releases? What if they are different games from EA to full release?

I think PUBG is a big enough game as it is now to kind of be an exception to the rule. I think the best way forward would be to determine if an early access game should be eligible for GotY discussion on a game-to-game basis. If there's enough support for a game that is also in enough of a playable state and in process of actual release (aka not ARK or Star Citizen), then it could be considered and only considered in the year it is considered. So, PUBG gets a shot this year, but it only gets that shot this year, regardless of whether or not it somehow is even better next year if it misses 1.0 in 2017.

Hindl

I'm really curious if Odyssey is gonna dethrone BotW.
If it's good I think it will. Dan is a wash with Zelda vs Mario, and Vinny and Brad probably would be too. Jeff has come around on Zelda but if Mario is as good as could be, I think he'd put it over. So if everyone else is a wash and Jeff prefers Mario, Mario will win
Just waiting for Vinny to suddenly reveal he played it with his kids and had a great time.
I can see it happening

Antiwhippy

If Vinny had to tell his kid that shooting rabbids makes them go home I don't know if his kid is ready for knack yet.

Jeff will shut down any mention of Knack. I have faith in his faculties.
Pretty sure it's vinny if he can find time between all the pubging.

Sadly, i don't think they have anyone outside of individual favourites like Alex and Civ. They kind of don't have anyone for CRPG's either (divinity, shadowrun, pillars, ect. all got more or less ingored). Vinny might try one those, but not all of them.

Right. I actually forgot Alex liked Civ. And Vinny... oh Vinny.

This, the greatest of release periods this year, deserves proper coverage. They need a strategy intern, stat.

oti

Banned
PUBG not eligible
No Persona 5
No Nier
Destiny 2 on the list
Knack 2 on the list

GOTY 2017 Let's Go!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It's easier, but I consider "goty" a snapshot of the year. They played - and liked - a lot of PUBG (and dead cells), those games never being part of deliberations at the end of the year because of a technicality seems kind of a shame. Do we not want the fight of Zelda or Destiny 2 vs PUBG?

I've never read something that's made me so fearful of the future.

PUBG is still supposed to come out this year, right? In which case my concerns are moot.

What I still don't understand is if a game is eligible in early access because it is "for sale," shouldn't that then disqualify it if it comes out in a subsequent year? And therefore the vast majority of early access games will probably never be in consideration.

I like rules, is what I'm saying.

Antiwhippy

PUBG is still supposed to come out this year, right? In which case my concerns are moot.

What I still don't understand is if a game is eligible in early access because it is "for sale," shouldn't that then disqualify it if it comes out in a subsequent year? And therefore the vast majority of early access games will probably never be in consideration.

I like rules, is what I'm saying.

But are you lawful neutral or lawful evil.

If it's good I think it will. Dan is a wash with Zelda vs Mario, and Vinny and Brad probably would be too. Jeff has come around on Zelda but if Mario is as good as could be, I think he'd put it over. So if everyone else is a wash and Jeff prefers Mario, Mario will win

I can see it happening

Mario is going to have to be really really good to top Zelda for Dan I think. Just read his review, game hasn't made him feel like that since he was a kid (I agree with him heh) etc. Not saying its impossible but I think it is unlikely based on his review. Don't think anyone else feels as strongly about Zelda as Dan though?

Who knows though, we all thought Doom would be GOTY last year no contest haha

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Ok. Together we can overcome this.

PUBwhat amirite?

So how about that Zelda game? *thinkingemoji*

oh that zelda game on the snes classic

yeah that's a pretty good game. shame none of them are as good as that one
Mario is going to have to be really really good to top Zelda for Dan I think. Just read his review, game hasn't made him feel like that since he was a kid (I agree with him heh) etc. Not saying its impossible but I think it is unlikely based on his review.

Who knows though, we all thought Doom would be GOTY last year no contest haha

Dan was completely enamored with Phantom Pain when he wrote his review

listen to his opinion on the game months down the road

oti

Banned
oh that zelda game on the snes classic

yeah that's a pretty good game. shame none of them are as good as that one
I never played that. But I love ALBW, so I should love this too.

I'll just need to wait for SNES games to arrive on Switch then. 💀

Top Bottom