• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

antitrop

I jumped the SFX and Voice down to 5, left the Music at 10, and cranked my speakers up.

Feels like the way it's supposed to be. :)

Blinck

I really want to like this game, and it has some really cool moments, but man, this camera is a fucking disgrace.

The game also looks so bland :( the animations are cool but the environments are very empty and very brown.

Also just got a bug in which enemies just stopped attacking me. They just stood there idling, had to restart =\

not a very good first experience

I really want to like this game, and it has some really cool moments, but man, this camera is a fucking disgrace.

The game also looks so bland :( the animations are cool but the environments are very empty and very brown.

Also just got a bug in which enemies just stopped attacking me. They just stood there idling, had to restart =\

I wish you could donate your copy to me ;_;

Cerity

Uuh, looks like Rising doesn't work at all if your internet goes out or if you put Steam in offline mode. That seems... odd.

yep. this is going to be annoying. I was halfway through chapter 2, internet disconnected and MGR just shut down.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Having a blast so far. Still haven't figured out a good way to take out Gecko's though, every fight I have with them is way too hairy, so I'm doing something wrong.

BigDes

Having a blast so far. Still haven't figured out a good way to take out Gecko's though, every fight I have with them is way too hairy, so I'm doing something wrong.

Yeah I cant work their kicks out at all, sometimes I can parry them, sometimes not

Thankfully you can one shot them if you parry a charge, which is nice

KePoW

Banned

I totally agree with this. The environments look "flat" and not very next-gen for PC.

I just finished playing Metro Last Light on PC and that looked absolutely incredible (while still running above 60-80 fps).

Dahbomb

You can one shot the Geckos if you Parry their charge attack.

I totally agree with this. The environments look "flat" and not very next-gen for PC.

I just finished playing Metro Last Light on PC and that looked absolutely incredible (while still running above 60-80 fps).

It's all about the glorious action, which absolutely destroys any game released this year in that respect.

Study their warning signs. Anything that glows yellow CANNOT BE PARRIED and will either hit you hard or grab you with their tentacle grabby rope thing. The Defensive Offense skill, aka the DODGE, is crucial to fighting them, and is more effective than just sitting there waiting for an attack to parry. Enemy prioritization is CRUCIAL as well. You do not want to be dealing with one or more Gekkos while there are rocket launcher dudes, or any other pesky enemy combatants. When you can, also try to separate multiple Gekkos to deal with them 1v1 as they love to jump off screen and land on you while you're dealing with one.

In time you will toy with them and there's an INFINITELY more agile and crazy enemy type that will become your rival.

Atruvius

Played a little bit into chapter 2, Steam says I've played over 3 hours and in game says 1 h 36 min. This game is really fun. Pretty glad I bought it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yeah I cant work their kicks out at all, sometimes I can parry them, sometimes not

Thankfully you can one shot them if you parry a charge, which is nice

You can parry their charge? Well that changes things a bit.

I don't have any problem parrying their kicks, really the problem is actually *killing* them. Getting them to go blue so that I can cut them up seems entirely random.

d0c_zaius

locked at 24 fps in fullscreen mode, no native ds4 support...not feeling this despite my love for MGR.

and unable to customize the window size...smh.

I can play everything max at 60, hit fullscreen and locked at 24. what a bummer.

Regiruler

Not sure if anyone else has noted this, but it's on the front page of steam.

I'm just updating some graphic's card drivers before I jump in.
locked at 24 fps in windowed mode, no native ds4 support...not feeling this despite my love for MGR.
I can't imagine a huge quantity of games will natively support DS4 until a few months from now.
The PS4 just came out a month and a half ago, no?

Then again the controller came out earlier or something. I don't know as I didn't follow it.

BigDes

I don't have any problem parrying their kicks, really the problem is actually *killing* them. Getting them to go blue so that I can cut them up seems entirely random.

Well, not the golden glowy charge, but the normal one where they stamp like a bull a couple of times you can parry

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
This game changes my refresh rate to 30Hz at fullscreen 1080p, it's fucking unplayable. Do I really have to play this in a window or lower resolution now? That sucks.

edit: Trying the borderless window thing now as recommended earlier. Still disappointing, I've never had anything like this.

epmode

You knew about the resolution cap previously, why even preorder if you had that many problems with it?

It was a good price and Steam lets you cancel pre-orders right up to the last minute, provided that you don't install. I put in a cancellation request on the 6th and Valve sat on it.

Once I saw that article about Durante removing the cap, I closed my ticket. Now I wish I had kept reading the thread!

derFeef

That's my problem too, at least they get blue but blade mode doess nothing to them...

Nibel

You can get them into the "blue mode" within 1-5 seconds if you time your parry right, it's not random at all - trying to parry all the time ends up with normal parries, but parrying right before the enemy attacks is perfect and will allow you to zandatsu

Arsenic13

So overall this is a decent port then?

Sounds a bit underwhelming considering this took nearly a year to come out.

Everytime I see that picture of you I think you're taking a picture in front of a destroyed pyramid. Not sure why. But the performance optimization seems fine. it's compatibility with setups that's causing issues, sadly.

MaLDo

The game runs always at desktop resolution, I tried at 3072x1920 and works. But into that resolution it renders at 1080p max. Changing graphics options file and forcing higher resolutions ends with rendering at 1280x720.

Great injection job, Durante. I hope Platinum fix that resolution problem asap.

That's my problem too, at least they get blue but blade mode doess nothing to them...

Are you watching for the "execution" button prompts? When you stun them with a perfect parry (a parry at the last possible second, NO MASHING), or when they get their foot caught in the ground after an unsuccessful stomp, there are context sensitive moves you can do to them that will often put Raiden in prime position to finish them off. Even if you don't get that, glowing blue means they're prime for cutting and you can just jump, go into blade mode, and extract the core manually.

But sometimes you'll just kill them outright, or screw something up and end up without a Zandatsu opportunity. Just comes with practice.

d0c_zaius

My game is stuck at 24fps in 1080p...

so no one else besides me and a couple of people are getting this issue (fullscreen locking at 24fps regardless of settings)? dunno how people can call it a passable port otherwise.

P Kellams @PG_jp
Follow
@Jeffers727 we will lock it at 24fps for the cinematic PC experience.

I know he was joking but its kind of ironic.

BadWolf

Parrying their kicks is pointless, even if you succeed they will just jump back and the parry attack will miss.

Easiest way to take them out is:

- Stay back and wait for them to do a bull like charge, parry/block and it will be over after the QTE
- Another way is to run around them and wait for them to try and stomp you with their leg. After they stop and miss there is an animation where their leg kind of gets stuck in the ground. Quickly run up and activate the QTE for the win.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
There are a healthy amount of moves to be unlocked still. And there are some mechanics that aren't explicitly explained, like dodge offset, evade cancelling, blade mode cancelling, etc.

Edit: whoops. Thought you were a first time player.

It is my first time playing. Thoroughly enjoying it so far. Like I said, never got into the complex systems of those other games anyways, so it's not something I'd hold against the game.

Having a REALLY easy time, but I've already seen playthroughs of the game and know how parrying works not to mention I'm only playing on Normal so that is completely to be expected. Absolutely looking forward to replaying on Revengeance.

It's funny, even tho I heavily disliked 4, Raiden's 4 costume is the one I'm currently rocking. It's just so cool. 2 hours in, will be surprised if my playthrough is longer than 5. I'll try to get another hour in tonight.

I jumped the SFX and Voice down to 5, left the Music at 10, and cranked my speakers up.

Feels like the way it's supposed to be. :)

I hope you've left the traditional MGS subtitles on there even if you can hear the voices just fine. It's sacrilegious to remove them.

OH MY FUCKING GOD THIS GAME IS AMAZING

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Controls flawlessly on the Dualshock 4, vibration works and everything. This game feels like the reason I bought a DS4 for my PC.

I wish I could get mine working with it... for some reason, my DS4 has gone rogue. While DS4 tool SCP server is seeing it and allowing me to tweak the lightbar and everything, games have suddenly stopped recognizing it.

I installed PGP recently, but I had the demo of that before and it didn't adversely affect my DS4's ability to be used in a game.

--

Real reason I came in here: has anyone figured out how to set a custom resolution?

Game's running smooth now at 720p, but I get all sorts of scaling problems in 1080p, with or without the borderless windowed mode.

Here's a comparison of lowest settings versus highest settings:

Lowest:
WpE09pX.jpg

Highest:
CJr2C41.jpg

I didn't realize the textures in this game were pretty low. Now that I see it running so smoothly in high res, it's kinda obvious. Still, the game is fantastic, and beyond the broken resolutions, I'd call it a great port.

Is there a way to set it to a custom resolution within a 1080p 16:9 monitor like 1600X900? If I have to play it windowed to bypass the refresh rate bug, then that's usually the windowed res that I like to play at.

LTWheels

I agree about the camera, on my first impressions.

Also I found the lock-on to be quite bad. It never seems to target the enemy I want to target. And the semi-lock on (when not using the lock-on button) also seems inaccurate compared to Bayonetta and NG.

mannerbot

It was a good price and Steam lets you cancel pre-orders right up to the last minute, provided that you don't install. I put in a cancellation request on the 6th and Valve sat on it.

Once I saw that article about Durante removing the cap, I closed my ticket. Now I wish I had kept reading the thread!

Why didn't you just keep the game in your inventory if you weren't planning on installing anyway?

Top Bottom