• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

Deepo

Does anyone know if the 4k @60hz @ 4:4:4 @34ms in game mode for the C6 and E6 is with PC mode engaged? (as PC mode is the only way to get proper 4:4:4). Read over on hardforums that the PC mode adds about 16ms additional input lag; is that still the case?

dgco86

Has anyone seen the latest update to the rtings reviews? I'm not really sure what to make of it. Does this mean when running an HDR game on a PC we will need to go from 4:4:4 to 4:2:0 to get the chroma subsampling to display accurately? I presume consoles and UHD bluray players won't be affected by this since they don't use 4:4:4 in the first place?

E6/C6
Update 12/02/2016: With the newest firmware update (04.30.19) there has been the addition of a HDR gaming mode. In this mode the HDR input lag is lower, and should be fine for HDR gaming. Note that although the TV accepts a 4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR signal, it can't accurately display the chroma subsampling in any HDR mode, even with the 'PC' icon selected. The HDR chroma subsampling looks the same as the B6, visible here.

B6:
After some more testing we have found that none of the LG TVs support chroma 4:4:4 when in a HDR picture mode, regardless of the input icon. This can be seen here .

Evo X

Can someone be so kind and share their settings for SDR gaming btw? With contrast at 80, brightness at 52, colour at 50 and gamma at 2.2, it's a little washed out.

Increase contrast to 85. Lower brightness to 50. If it still looks washed out, change gamma to 2.4 or BT.1886

Has anyone seen the latest update to the rtings reviews? I'm not really sure what to mC6
ake of it. Does this mean when running an HDR game on a PC we will need to go from 4:4:4 to 4:2:0 to get the chroma subsampling to display accurately? I presume consoles and UHD bluray players won't be affected by this since they don't use 4:4:4 in the first place?

E6/

B6:

It doesn't really matter. HDMI 2.0a doesn't have enough bandwidth to handle full 4:4:4 Chroma + 4k w/ a 60hz refresh signal in addition to HDR. HDR content is currently done in YUV420 anyway, as I understand it.

HDR needs 10 bits per channel.. and the most you can get @ 4k res/60hz refresh w/ full RGB (4:4:4 Chroma) is 8 bpc.

Deepo

Does anyone know if the 4k @60hz @ 4:4:4 @34ms in game mode for the C6 and E6 is with PC mode engaged? (as PC mode is the only way to get proper 4:4:4). Read over on hardforums that the PC mode adds about 16ms additional input lag; is that still the case?

To kind of answer my own question, I did some testing with a camera with a 1/1000 shutter speed. I compared it with another screen, and the OLED showed no change in game mode whether PC mode was active or not. Putting it into ISF mode showed a huge increase however. So my conclusion from what my limited testing tells me is that PC mode does not affect input lag.

I really want a Leo Bodnar device and those HDFury boxes that RTings uses now. Would be great to be able to measure it all accurately.

f@luS

More than a member.
Nice update
But EU latest firmware still has the hdcp issue. Just started last guardian and got a black screen when hdr went on

NYR

Yeah the C6 (and E6 and G6) have different firmware. Amazed it is taking LG this long to sort out for those still affected.

So the HDCP issue is still unfixed on the E6? I still am having issues with my E6 when trying to play a blu ray, I get a black screen.

Paz

So the HDCP issue is still unfixed on the E6? I still am having issues with my E6 when trying to play a blu ray, I get a black screen.

Yeah I get this on my E6 sometimes too, but I'm also pre HDCP and pre Game mode updates. Was really hoping this would be fixed.

NYR

Yeah I get this on my E6 sometimes too, but I'm also pre HDCP and pre Game mode updates. Was really hoping this would be fixed.
I just updated to 4.30.19 and still have the black screens with my PS4 pro. I ended up doing the HDCP 1.4 setting trick which makes the blu rays play, but it is a shitty way to get it to work. Shocked one of the flagship models hasn't been updated but the lower models were.

Outside of PC use (i.e, text etc.) do you think the loss of chroma subsampling is a big deal, especially in gaming applications. Sitting about 6 feet away, I can't notice too much of a difference if any between YUV or RGB 444.

julrik

Is there seriously no way to calibrate Game Mode (SDR) or get low input lag in a mode where calibration is possible? I can't stand the locked Wide colour gamut! Aaaargh.

SOLDIER

My two remaining questions:

1. Anyone else having issues with not getting a signal when starting up a console? It happens to me on an almost daily basis where my TV can't pick up the PS4 Pro or the Xbox One (happens more frequently with the PS4, but maybe that's because I use it more) unless I turn the TV off and on again. Is this the fault of the console or the TV itself?

2. What do people use to calibrate the colors on their TV? Now that I've got the blacks nailed down thanks to that image, I was wondering what I could use to fine tune things under the ISF preset.

My two remaining questions:

1. Anyone else having issues with not getting a signal when starting up a console? It happens to me on an almost daily basis where my TV can't pick up the PS4 Pro or the Xbox One (happens more frequently with the PS4, but maybe that's because I use it more) unless I turn the TV off and on again. Is this the fault of the console or the TV itself?

2. What do people use to calibrate the colors on their TV? Now that I've got the blacks nailed down thanks to that image, I was wondering what I could use to fine tune things under the ISF preset.

On number 1, I haven't had any issues (E6 connected to PS4 Pro and PC), but I have Quick Start off. Maybe try that?

julrik

Anyone?

"Is there seriously no way to calibrate Game Mode (SDR) or get low input lag in a mode where calibration is possible? I can't stand the locked Wide colour gamet! Aaaargh."

ryohumar

Has anybody seen any haloing of white text on a completely black background on the b6? It's not crazy, but it's enough to get me to notice.

Deepo

Noticed that the C6 was discounted €450 more today than when I bought it 3 weeks ago. Went back to the store, and they immediately refunded me the €450, no questions asked.

Extra happy with my purchase now :)

holygeesus

Banned
Interesting thread on Reddit which is claiming the cable that comes with the PS4 Pro is not HDMI Ceritifed and that is why there is a lot of the HDCP issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4Pro/comments/5kgvqd/psa_hdmi_cable_included_with_ps4_pro_is_not_4k/?

Going To try a new cable in my LG E6 OLED tomorrow and see if it gets rid of the black screen issue when on HDCP 2.2.

I don't know if it is relevant but I am using a different HDMI cable, which is certified, and it didn't work before the B6 was updated yet works fine now. My money is it is still the firmware's fault.

It doesn't really matter. HDMI 2.0a doesn't have enough bandwidth to handle full 4:4:4 Chroma + 4k w/ a 60hz refresh signal in addition to HDR. HDR content is currently done in YUV420 anyway, as I understand it.

HDR needs 10 bits per channel.. and the most you can get @ 4k res/60hz refresh w/ full RGB (4:4:4 Chroma) is 8 bpc.

This. I don't think rtings has understood this yet...

lionpants

Anyone noticed weirdness on some black backgrounds? Almost like a vignetting around the edges, an uneven lighting, almost like there's a backlight.

Although, in some black backgrounds, the pixels are totally OFF like they should be. This is noticeable in Gears of War 4 in HDR specifically during the logos at startup.

Is this just because the backgrounds aren't actually black but a greyish color?

LG B6 65"

b0bbyJ03

Anyone willing to call LG and get an update on when HDR game mode might be coming to the B6? I'd do it myself but I'm at work. Getting tired of waiting.

NYR

Anyone willing to call LG and get an update on when HDR game mode might be coming to the B6? I'd do it myself but I'm at work. Getting tired of waiting.
At least you got the PS4 pro fix, E6 owners still waiting on a fix for HDCP issues with PS4 pro.

Anyone noticed weirdness on some black backgrounds? Almost like a vignetting around the edges, an uneven lighting, almost like there's a backlight.

Although, in some black backgrounds, the pixels are totally OFF like they should be. This is noticeable in Gears of War 4 in HDR specifically during the logos at startup.

LG B6 65"

That's been a known issue with LG OLEDs for a few years... near black uniformity is not great. It was significantly worse last year.

lionpants

That's been a known issue with LG OLEDs for a few years... near black uniformity is not great. It was significantly worse last year.
Sucks to hear. At least it isn't a problem with just my set though.

I wish the content creators would just make the backgrounds black as well. When they do, it looks great! My computer monitors look like absolute trash now in comparison.

b0bbyJ03

At least you got the PS4 pro fix, E6 owners still waiting on a fix for HDCP issues with PS4 pro.

oh damn, I had no idea. I'm not sure if this helps but I did find a work around that worked before I got the firmware update. If you get the PS4 Pro to work without HDCP on (I assume its the same as the B6), then once you've got a picture you can go into the system settings and turn on HDCP 2.2. It should work and you should be able to watch all your content. The only problem is that you have to remember to go back to the system settings and uncheck the HDCP 2.2 box/turn it off, before putting your PS4 into rest mode/turning it off otherwise next time u turn it back on you'll get a black screen again.

lionpants

Another question...

On my Xbox One S, I can select FULL RANGE color and 12bit depth, but it doesn't appear to keep the FULL RANGE setting properly unless I back it down to 8bit depth.

Any idea why?

EvB

Another question...

On my Xbox One S, I can select FULL RANGE color and 12bit depth, but it doesn't appear to keep the FULL RANGE setting properly unless I back it down to 8bit depth.

Any idea why?

Because "full range" is exclusively an 8bit term (0-255)

12 bit colour would be 0-4095

LG B6 65"

Have you tried calibrating your brightness level in SDR/HDR mode? When I first got the TV, the U4 loading screen was completely black, and when I played with some settings in HDR mode, it became gray during those loading screens. I realized I messed up my brightness settings and fixed it. I'm honestly not sure if the Uncharted 4 loading screens are supposed to be black, but I feel it looks better when I adjust my screen brightness to that level. You may have to change your brightness levels for HDR and SDR mode separately.

Just a thought. Otherwise, yes, the OLEDs have had some issues with grays/near blacks essentially.

lionpants

Because "full range" is exclusively an 8bit term (0-255)

12 bit colour would be 0-4095

So which should I use on the One S?

Have you tried calibrating your brightness level in SDR/HDR mode? When I first got the TV, the U4 loading screen was completely black, and when I played with some settings in HDR mode, it became gray during those loading screens. I realized I messed up my brightness settings and fixed it. I'm honestly not sure if the Uncharted 4 loading screens are supposed to be black, but I feel it looks better when I adjust my screen brightness to that level. You may have to change your brightness levels for HDR and SDR mode separately.

Just a thought. Otherwise, yes, the OLEDs have had some issues with grays/near blacks essentially.

Yes, I have calibrated brightness on both. I find I need to use 53 brightness to see all shades of black properly.

I'm using the following settings on PS4 Pro..

PS4: Full RGB Range
TV: High Blacks, 2.2 Gamma

I find HDR content forces itself to limited though for some reason, so I have the TV set to Low Blacks on HDR Standard mode.

ukas

So which should I use on the One S?

Yes, I have calibrated brightness on both. I find I need to use 53 brightness to see all shades of black properly.

I'm using the following settings on PS4 Pro..

PS4: Full RGB Range
TV: High Blacks, 2.2 Gamma

I find HDR content forces itself to limited though for some reason, so I have the TV set to Low Blacks on HDR Standard mode.

PS4 should be Limited and the black level on the OLED should be low.

NYR

Interesting thread on Reddit which is claiming the cable that comes with the PS4 Pro is not HDMI Ceritifed and that is why there is a lot of the HDCP issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4Pro/comments/5kgvqd/psa_hdmi_cable_included_with_ps4_pro_is_not_4k/?

Going To try a new cable in my LG E6 OLED tomorrow and see if it gets rid of the black screen issue when on HDCP 2.2.
Huh.

I tried this.

It worked. My mind is blown. Working so far. It isn't perfect, it worked 4 out of the 5 times I tried but it worked.

NYR

Why though?

So should xbox one s be 12bit color, Standard - then black on the OLED as well?
Because full blends the colors and you lose detail. Need proof? Set it to full and click this link in the PS4 browser:

http://www.nicolaspeople.com/ch3rokeesblog/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/fullrgb_test.jpg

All of the boxes should not all be visable when set to full. Now set it to limited and open the same link. The boxes will now all be seen individually, confirming you're getting all of the detail you should be.

lionpants

Because full blends the colors and you lose detail. Need proof? Set it to full and click this link in the PS4 browser:

http://www.nicolaspeople.com/ch3rokeesblog/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/fullrgb_test.jpg

All of the boxes should not all be visable when set to full. Now set it to limited and open the same link. The boxes will now all be seen individually, confirming you're getting all of the detail you should be.
That has nothing to do with colors though... I can get that image to look exactly the same in Full and Limited by setting the OLED to High and Low blacks respectively.

Either I'm missing something (likely) or everyone is as confused as I am about the limited/full stuff.

Top Bottom