• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3: the single-player aiming problems thread [Details in Op, Please Read]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snuggler said:
Lol, same here. I thought I was gonna be a total badass with the silenced pistol, poppin' stealthy headshots and what not, but in my first encounter I pretty much emptied the entire clip around the target.

I knew something was off as soon as I was suppose to shoot that lock. I moved to the left, then I nudged it to the right, still couldn't shoot it!

I've been to several message boards(here, GameFAQs, ND, etc) and there's hundreds of "is it me or is the aiming worse in this game?" posts and responses. Someone get to making a comparison video!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
thetrin said:
Thought I was crazy when I couldn't hit a fucking thing when I started playing U3 last night. It needs to be fixed.
I remember having no problems with Aiming in UC2.

The AVClub review makes complete sense now if this is what they were playing. The new melee system is atrocious, they managed to fuck up the shooting from U2, and so far its been more on rails than UC2 was.

lucius

Some guns do feel off, what I don't understand I was in the original Beta and didn't have these problems and don't remember people talking about it so what is going on?

I have learned to adjust to it with sensitivity turned up but I still wonder if this was a design descision since the game you have to be much more mobile in fights, and could it be they just wanted to make headshots harder?

Ra1den

I am just in awe that this wasn't mentioned by any reviewers. I haven't played U2 in ages, yet I still noticed the difference within a split second of moving my gun for the first time. Insanely clunky is the only way to describe it.

Sullichin

shintoki said:

The AVClub review makes complete sense now if this is what they were playing. The new melee system is atrocious, they managed to fuck up the shooting from U2, and so far its been more on rails than UC2 was.

what's atrocious about the melee? I really like it

jax (old)

Banned
I'm picking up my copy today (australia) and I fucking wish this thread didn't exist as it such a debbie downer hype killer and I haven't gone into the official thread. Well, I'll report back in about 13 hours what I think (U1+U2 vet - will play on hard).

Hyuga

Banned
Snuggler said:
I guess we're just imagining it then! Forget the patch, ND, we good.
You're right. Or I should play U3 24 hours a day. Maybe I will find the "weird aiming problem".

Ra1den

Hyuga said:
You're right. Or I should play U3 24 hours a day. Maybe I will find the "weird aiming".

Don't forget, this is mainly a single player issue. You wont notice it as much in multiplayer ( according to others, I haven't touched MP yet)

Dyno

Passed the controller around amongst three friends and played to Chapter 8. No one mentioned anything and it felt just fine to me.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Ra1den said:
Don't forget, this is mainly a single player issue. You wont notice it as much in multiplayer ( according to others, I haven't touched MP yet)
there's not problem with the aiming in multiplayer, AT ALL.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I thought it was just me being rusty with the DualShock 3. Aiming does feel sluggish, and I'm playing on Hard with max sensitivity...

Zoibie

shintoki said:

I don't mind it being more 'on rails', but yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about the new melee system either. Maybe I've just been spoiled by Batman but.. I don't quite know how to say it, it lacks a sense of rhythm, of predictability. It's just mashing the square button until prompted otherwise.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
shintoki said:

Huh? I found the new melee system to be way superior to the awful melee from UC2

Ra1den

EloquentM said:
there's not problem with the aiming in multiplayer, AT ALL.

I see. Then ND has no excuse not to fix this immediately. Just get rid of whatever crap they did to the SP aiming.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't like the new melee at all, it basically serves the same purpose, but takes three times as long, so it way less efficient.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hyuga said:
You're right. Or I should play U3 24 hours a day. Maybe I will find the "weird aiming problem".

I noticed the problem within about one hour, so your ridiculous come back makes absolutely no sense. It's clear as day that people are having problems with the aiming, and we just want the game to be better. If that bothers you, then maybe you should stay out of the thread.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Dyno said:
Passed the controller around amongst three friends and played to Chapter 8. No one mentioned anything and it felt just fine to me.

Just load up any firefight (that one in
London Underground
is where I noticed it first (basically the first real combat in the game), L1 to aim and scan the enemies left to right. The cursor slows down whenever you hover over an enemy. It completely screws up any delicate aiming and you can't properly track moving targets.

The aiming issues aren't huge with automatic weapons, but any single shot weapon is severely fucked.

Seriously, just have an autoaim toggle (every game should have one!) and it would fix the issue.

Papercuts said:
All the guns suffer from it, but pistols are much worse. I looked like a complete asshole with that silenced pistol at the start, thing was impossible to use.
OMG, I thought my age was catching up to me. I died like 4 times at the point where Nate gets his foot stuck in the wooden board on hard. I couldn't aim at all with the pistol.

I loved the pistol in UC1. Mostly because all the other guns sucked so bad.

I was wondering why the aiming felt so weird

I just wrote it off as me playing a whole bunch of other dedicated third-person shooters (no slight against Uncharted, but it's more of a hybrid) and ND just concentrating more on what people liked about UC2.

Sounds like a pretty major issue. Makes you wonder why no reviews mentioned it or why they so many of them gave it glowing reviews, when one of the core mechanics is so compromised.

Speedymanic said:
Sounds like a pretty major issue. Makes you wonder why no reviews mentioned it or why they so many of them gave it glowing reviews, when one of the core mechanics is so compromised.

It's no reason not to give the game glowing reviews, it's not anywhere near broken.

Speedymanic said:
All reviewers suck at games, they wouldn't notice aiming issues because they had none to begin with.

revolverjgw said:
It's no reason not to give the game glowing reviews, it's not anywhere near broken.

I haven't played it yet (my PS3 died and I can't afford a new one as I'm moving soon) but it does sound like a major issue.

It's not like you can play the game without using guns, if a core mechanic is 'broken' or compromised in a way where it's affecting gameplay, it should have been mentioned in reviews.

Ah goooood. I'm glad that I'm not crazy! I thought I suddenly sucked at aiming and tried to convince myself that this was how the other Uncharted games played and I just need to get used to it. I played a few more chapters after the first shooting section and aiming never got easier.

It is just broken. It feels horrible! Definitely a blemish on an otherwise awesome game (so far).

Yeef

At first I thought my skills had simply eroded since it'd been so long since I'd played Uncharted 2, but as the game went on more and more I started to realize that there was a problem. In Uncharted 2 8/10 of my shots would be headshots. In Uncharted 3 that wasn't the case at all.

Ghost Lynx said:
Ah goooood. I'm glad that I'm not crazy! I thought I suddenly sucked at aiming and tried to convince myself that this was how the other Uncharted games played and I just need to get used to it. I played a few more chapters after the first shooting section and aiming never got easier.
This was my exact thought process.

There's even a section with multiple dragon sniper rifles and I seriously felt like the game was fucking up somehow because there was no way I missed.

MoeB said:
uncharted 3 is better than gears of war 3.
How about no.
UC3 can't hope to match the impressive feature set of gears 3, and gears' gunplay is still better.

edit: ugh, why did I feed the troll? I'll never learn.
Carry on with the thread, nothing to see here

Speedymanic said:
I haven't played it yet (my PS3 died and I can't afford a new one as I'm moving soon) but it does sound like a major issue.

It's not like you can play the game without using guns, if a core mechanic is 'broken' or compromised in a way where it's affecting gameplay, it should have been mentioned in reviews.

Well I have played it and I can say the core mechanic is nowhere near broken, it's just not as good as it was

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
ShockingAlberto said:
There's even a section with multiple dragon sniper rifles and I seriously felt like the game was fucking up somehow because there was no way I missed.
If you mean
the one in the Citadel, right before the zipline
, I was extremely puzzled there as well.

Ra1den

tigerin said:
A thread for this?! Seriously?!

Yes a thread for this for chrissakes. We cannot allow these comments to get buried in the OT, where people are busy gushing over how awesome everything else in the game is (and rightly so).

This issue warrants immediate action from ND, the problem is obvious, and they already have it working fine in multiplayer. Just move that shit over to single player and we'll be fine.

ShockingAlberto said:
This was my exact thought process.

I lined up a red dot RIGHT on this guy's head. Fired twice, still shot a rocket at me anyway.

And have you tried to make small adjustments while zoomed-in? Its a challenge in itself!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom