• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerity

So my 6P started bootlooping and huawei want $400 to fix it (out of warranty). I want to grab the LG G6 but telstra is the only one selling it, they aren't even selling it outright even though they are advertising that they are.

The S8+ on the woolworths plan for $69/mo is tempting but I don't want to be locked into a 24mo contract again.

I might just buy a cheap chinese phone in the meantime and hold out for the pixel 2 or w/e.

Jintor

i should've paid the extra $50 for another 32gb of space. 32gb alone just isn't cutting it and the 6p doesn't get extra space :( :( :(

radaxian

Am I fucked if I didn't preorder Persona 5? Doesn't seem like any places are listing it online other than EB

Yeah for some reason it went from JBs website (at least earlier today). Target/BigW/JB are all $79, and all the same steelbook version. It's in some of their catalogues. EB has no excuse not to price match.

Where is the best place to get a Laptop these days? A friend of mine wants a laptop for mild gaming use (Sims, Lego games etc) and has a budget of $1500-2000. Would prefer not to have to go to Harvey Norman or Officeworks etc, unless of course they are competitively priced.

Quasar

Where is the best place to get a Laptop these days? A friend of mine wants a laptop for mild gaming use (Sims, Lego games etc) and has a budget of $1500-2000. Would prefer not to have to go to Harvey Norman or Officeworks etc, unless of course they are competitively priced.

I guess you could look at JB or online.

valeo

Try PCCasegear, they have some very good laptops in that range, probably more than he'd need. Something in the $1100-$1300 could easily monster the games mentioned.

Rizzi

valeo

They're just for gaming. Amazon doesn't want to ship those here. Boooo..

Ah, I got them off ebay a while ago. They aren't too hard to find.

You can get better if you spend ~100 more. Reckon it's the best value for money hardware purchase I have ever made though.

jambo

If they have the budget, it might even be worth getting a slightly better laptop, so they can future proof a bit.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I managed to purchase mid week tickets for the dota 2 international tournament which is in Seattle during August. I will try to hopefully get the finals tickets later today.

As someone who has never been outside of aus and I feel like this could be used as a much needed alone time holiday away from work, what the fuck do I do?

First it's clearly a passport, average turn around time?
Flights and hotels, does anyone have any good sites to use?
What to do in the US? I guess I could stay for 4 weeks or less or more, whatever. I have no idea what I should try to see or what states to visit.

Help.

Also melbgaf board games people is it OK if I come along? I'm terrible at it but do need to socialize once in a while!

I managed to purchase mid week tickets for the dota 2 international tournament which is in Seattle during August. I will try to hopefully get the finals tickets later today.

As someone who has never been outside of aus and I feel like this could be used as a much needed alone time holiday away from work, what the fuck do I do?

What to do in the US? I guess I could stay for 4 weeks or less or more, whatever. I have no idea what I should try to see or what states to visit.

Help.

Also melbgaf board games people is it OK if I come along? I'm terrible at it but do need to socialize once in a while!

well, not a lot to do in Seattle itself. It's full of insanely smug twats. There's the Space Needle and the Rock n Roll Museum (which are right next to each other) and a bunch of other things that mean nothing to anyone who's not from there. Vancouver's a 3 hour drive north of Seattle, Portland Oregon 3 hours south of Seattle. (if you want to buy shit, do it in Oregon since they have no sales tax there). It's very hot there in Summer and not a lot of aircon about outside of hotels.

California has a lot more to see and do. LA, Anaheim, San Francisco. Las Vegas isn't far from there.

East Coast has New York, Washington DC and Boston, but expect really hot and humid summer in August.

without starting WWIII, get over our aussie aversion to tipping and tip cabbies, anyone in the hotel (the guy who calls you a cab, carries your bag, housekeeping, bartenders and waiters, but don't need to tip for fast food unless its delivered.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
well, not a lot to do in Seattle itself. It's full of insanely smug twats. There's the Space Needle and the Rock n Roll Museum (which are right next to each other) and a bunch of other things that mean nothing to anyone who's not from there. Vancouver's a 3 hour drive north of Seattle, Portland Oregon 3 hours south of Seattle. (if you want to buy shit, do it in Oregon since they have no sales tax there). It's very hot there in Summer and not a lot of aircon about outside of hotels.

California has a lot more to see and do. LA, Anaheim, San Francisco. Las Vegas isn't far from there.

East Coast has New York, Washington DC and Boston, but expect really hot and humid summer in August.

without starting WWIII, get over our aussie aversion to tipping and tip cabbies, anyone in the hotel (the guy who calls you a cab, carries your bag, housekeeping, bartenders and waiters, but don't need to tip for fast food unless its delivered.

My plan was to move on from Seattle once the event was over. I knew Canada wasnt far and thought about it but might travel between states in the US instead. I just have no idea what's worth my time.

With tipping, is there an expected average? Like $5 for the guy who orders a cab or... ?

I learnt from GAF that anything less than 90% for tips means that you hate freedom and completely endorse homelessness and poverty.

I'm learning so much about the above AusGAFers.

jambo

It does suck that their shitty minimum wage forces you to subsidise their wage with tips, but you just do it for a few weeks and then you're holiday ends.

Also I was over there in 2010 and I feel like food was generally cheaper, so it kinda evened out.

Chuck

Still without luck
It does suck that their shitty minimum wage forces you to subsidise their wage with tips, but you just do it for a few weeks and then you're holiday ends.

Also I was over there in 2010 and I feel like food was generally cheaper, so it kinda evened out.

This is the thing stupid americans that hate tipping don't realize. The food is cheaper because you're expected to tip.

And it's 20%. Full stop. Tip 20% of what your bill total is.

Help.

Passports are generally quick, within a month easily unless there is a major reason for a problem. You already have a full birth certificate?

Make sure to book in time to relax! That's what I want more and more out of a holiday these days.

Passports should be 4 weeks max, might be a little more if it's your first or if you have dual citizenship. Obviously give it a little leeway for unforseen delays!

jambo

That's why I refuse to make eye contact and chuck the money on the floor. Tip included.

My power move

6aKBVsal.jpg

WWIII was declared while I slept.

It's really at hotels, cabs and restaurants where you need to worry about tipping, which is why its such a big deal when Aussie tourists go to the US on holiday. When you actually live there, you end up only really tipping when eating/drinking out, maybe if you get a large furniture item delivered to the house or your barber.

tip a few bucks to the guy who calls you a cab at the hotel, leave a dollar a day in your room for housekeeping, double the tax for the staff in a restaurant (so if the tax is 9% where you visit, double that and leave that as the tip and just be ok with the food costing about 30% more than the prices on the menu. but yeah, it's generally cheaper and there's often free soda refills. don't tip fast food but tip the delivery guy.

that said, I don't tip staff in Australia.

back to Seattle, yeah. Outside of the city, there's nothing major to do unless you want to look at some forests. Pax Prime is on in Seattle about 3 weeks after the DOTA2 thing, but be warned, tickets are sold out in seconds.

Jintor

Speaking of listen things, can anyone recommend a good pair of in ears phones that won't lose the fucking rubber thingies all the fucking time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom