• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zoo Tycoon |OT| I could tell you it's goat, but I'd be lion

petran79

Banned
Seems good game.

But the original games had also a lot of text (animal info, encyclopedia, staff info etc) making it also the more challenging.

I guess the console versions will remove those features since it would be counter-intuitive reading so much text on a console.

I'd like to see a PC port too. Number of animals seems sufficient, though certainly a few expansions will follow as well and a ton of DLC.

A PC Ultimate collection 2 years later would be a nice buy, but I fear it will be Windows 8 only.

LQX

Watching the videos and hearing some talk about this game I think it will be a sleeper hit.

PARANO1A

Is it wrong that I want to skip other games I've already bought for Xbone to play this? Seems to have a Viva Pinata feel based on some of the reviews I've read. Good 'couch with girlfriend' time for launch weekend.

mcfrank

Does anyone know if there will be a demo on Xbox One? This seems like the type of thing my wife would really like, but it could also be the type of thing she plays for 5 minutes and goes back to Plants vs Zombies 2. I don't want to risk $60 on her playing 5 minutes of it.

This is the shittest shit I've ever.... shit. This is a glorified tech demo. You run around feeding animals; seriously - it's Skyrim, with shitty graphics, stuck in a small town feeding animals. Simulation/finance/stats side is next to nonexistent.

M$, thanks for fucking another one of my favourite franchises. PASS ON THIS "GAME".

EDIT: Wait until you see the run/walk animation. Don't have anything sharp close-by...

Ecto311

Damn I was on amazon just last night and almost got this then I thought well I have $5 credit to best buy and nothing to use it on so Ill get this. Now I cant find it anywhere and its $60 at walmart where amazon was showing $50 for it.

Wonder if I would have gotten it from there if it would have shipped or not. Strange to see it no where on the amazon site now. Bastard ass walmart.

catmincer

Isn't the release date tomorrow?

What the hell with this Wal-mart exclusivity. I was planning on picking up this for my wife for the 360 from Target.

Says releases 22nd everywhere and it's the 22nd today :( I can find the Xbox One version everywhere but 360? Nope. :(

catmincer

This is impossible to find on 360. EB games are sold out of it nationwide and nobody knows when there'll be more stock. Not to mention there's no digital version. FU Microsoft.

EDIT: Found a copy for Xbox 360 :D Got it for $56 so I am pretty pleased.

catmincer

Alright

Impressions on Xbox 360 version

- It's 720p native and the animals are very well done. As are the trees etc.
- It DOES have Kinect integration. You can use it to do things such as adopting animals so you don't need to piss about with menus.
- It loads a lot faster when installed.
- Has a challenge, a tutorial, free and campaign mode.
- Doesn't lag at all even with loads of animals and exhibits.
- Once I have gone through it, I'll update with a list of animals if people want?

ascii42

Alright

Impressions on Xbox 360 version

- It's 720p native and the animals are very well done. As are the trees etc.
- It DOES have Kinect integration. You can use it to do things such as adopting animals so you don't need to piss about with menus.
- It loads a lot faster when installed.
- Has a challenge, a tutorial, free and campaign mode.
- Doesn't lag at all even with loads of animals and exhibits.
- Once I have gone through it, I'll update with a list of animals if people want?

How do you find it with regards to this complaint?

catmincer

How do you find it with regards to this complaint?

Hmm, my other half is playing at the moment. He has 3 big exhibits, 2 small ones, 2 restrooms, heaps food places, a lake, staff and multiple animals per exhibit. The bar is maybe 1/3 of the way through. Doesn't seem too restrictive to me, as on 360 I can understand more as there's limited ram so you cannot have a massive, sprawling thing with a bazillion exhibits. It IS however bullshit that the X1 version has such limits.

Tarahiro

I really like this game.

I had to force myself to stop playing it so I could install the other games I bought hehe.

Does anyone know if there is a level cap for each individual zoo? I am in the first zoo but I have been stuck on 40 stars for a long time. Also my guests want more of everything and yet it wont let me add anything else.

adj_noun

Man, that's a lot of Barbery Lions they want you to release in the Xbox One challenge.

I basically created a lion farm in freeplay. Lions as far as the eye can see.

And a couple snakes so the visitors have something to see in the Nothing But Lions and Snakes Zoo other than lions.

I've really been enjoying the online co-op. Invite a friend and their character appears in your zoo alongside you. When they are placing an attraction, you see it hovering around in the air like a UFO. Also, cart races.

Only complaint is that the zoo size limit is really frustrating. The map is huge, but they don't let you place enough stuff to actually fill it up. Once you run up against the size limit, you'll need to constantly swap out attractions to complete challenges.

Best part about this game though: cart acrobatics...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbDVeF7YI-g

Does anyone know if there is a level cap for each individual zoo? I am in the first zoo but I have been stuck on 40 stars for a long time. Also my guests want more of everything and yet it wont let me add anything else.

I believe the level cap is 40, because the research unlocks stop there. I have a zoo at 38 that I can't quite seem to get all the way.

The zoo limit issue really is unfortunate. I'm in exactly the same situation where guests demand more, but I don't have quota to build anything.

Anyone know how to get the "Red Hot Research Achievement"? I can't figure out what I'm missing.

I've researched:
- all advertising campaigns
- all exhibit types
- all mini exhibit types
- all decorations
- all concessions
- all facilities
- all animals
- all exhibit items
- all items in the general Research Tree

The achievement says I'm 95% complete. Any idea what I've overlooked?

PG2G

Just tried the demo for this game and actually enjoyed it. Reminded me of the time I spent with Viva Pinata.

When the demo was up I went to the store aaaand... $60?? Make it a $40 game and I'd be happy to jump in. I'll be waiting for it to go on sale.

So, i've finally gotten around to playing it.

The tutorials are alright but having 10 separate ones didn't really seem necessary.

Onto the campaign on level 1, bit disappointed with the choice of animals, there are loads but obviously lots of the same type split between exhibits and mini-exhibits. Obviously we knew this from the animal list but with things like Penguins missing its a bit of a disappointment.

I am enjoying the game though, can't say i've done much of zoo keeper mode but the challenges in campaign seem to be quite good, some quite short "Take a picture of an Asiatic Lion" (to be blunt about the objective) whilst others are obviously more difficult/time consuming like breed a certain type of animal and release X amount of animals into the wild (have to be level 15 to do that so require doing things like interacting with the animals to get their levels up).

Its well made and certainly fun the graphics very nice too, I'm sort of surprised at how good it does look really. I hope they expand on the game properly with DLC and add other types of animals which I would expect them to do.

Edit: Just reached my limit for how much stuff I can put in my zoo, its a bit annoying, I can only assume its there to ensure optimal performance but I hope they increase it, I only had 6 (admittedly mostly large) animal exhibits.

Amneisac

This was so close to being a really good game (on XB1 anyways). The zoo size is just a little too restrictive. I really wish they'd update the X1 version and fix a few things and increase the size of the zoo you can build. It ruins the fun when you (pretty quickly) hit the limit and can't continue to expand your zoo. The sim also falls apart a little bit late game.

This was so close to being a really good game (on XB1 anyways). The zoo size is just a little too restrictive. I really wish they'd update the X1 version and fix a few things and increase the size of the zoo you can build. It ruins the fun when you (pretty quickly) hit the limit and can't continue to expand your zoo. The sim also falls apart a little bit late game.

yeah, the zoo limits really hampers the game a lot, have they said if they are going to remove that? or fix the glitched achievement?

It's such a bummer, I loved the original Zoo Tycoon games, but I can't believe you can't create the exhibits. That's like the best part of the other games! Honestly, so disappointing.

adj_noun

So did they ever actually do the tiger community challenge thing that got voted in? I've checked back in every now and then and didn't notice it.

EBE

bit of a bump.

so did anyone buy this game? im thinking about downloading it now that ive learned wolfenstein is ~50GB. theres no way im going digital for that. it releases a few days before my birthday so im thinking i can convince someone into getting it for me as a gift lol.

saw a few videos and it looked fun enough. ive got 18 dollars worth of bing points saved up and thought, eh, might as well.

xkramz

bit of a bump.

so did anyone buy this game? im thinking about downloading it now that ive learned wolfenstein is ~50GB. theres no way im going digital for that. it releases a few days before my birthday so im thinking i can convince someone into getting it for me as a gift lol.

saw a few videos and it looked fun enough. ive got 18 dollars worth of bing points saved up and thought, eh, might as well.

my nephew has it. personally its not my type of game. with your 18 bucks. id say you get child of light instead.

bit of a bump.

I have it, and I'm looking forward to playing it, but I just haven't found the time yet. Everything I've seen of it looks great, though, unless you're one of the people upset by the changes from the previous games.

EBE

I have it, and I'm looking forward to playing it, but I just haven't found the time yet. Everything I've seen of it looks great, though, unless you're one of the people upset by the changes from the previous games.
my knowledge of the series is super limited. fooled around with one of the games on pc a few years ago but not enough to be upset over any changes. im not expecting a hardcore sim out of this. biggest complaint ive read is over the zoo sizes. theyre apparently rather small? one of the videos i saw had a fairly large zoo and i dont think it was completely full. looked okay.

id mostly be picking this up out of a want for a new viva pinata type game.
my nephew has it. personally its not my type of game. with your 18 bucks. id say you get child of light instead.

i'll probably just pick up both. haha. id saved up $70 for the digital version of wolfy but itd probably take my internet several days to download that much game and im not even joking. thanks for the recommendation.

EBE

maybe a bit too involved for a proper chill out game, but i think i could lose some time to this. the only first party xb1 game i dont own. im doing it.

shame that this game appears to have been forgotten amid all the bigger titles.

now about that child of light.. i need to get to myself over to the OT for that one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Seems like a perfect game for a 9 year old obsessed with animals? Or is it a bit too complicated?

Is it on sale in Europe or just US?

dejay

Banned
maybe a bit too involved for a proper chill out game, but i think i could lose some time to this. the only first party xb1 game i dont own. im doing it.

shame that this game appears to have been forgotten amid all the bigger titles.

now about that child of light.. i need to get to myself over to the OT for that one.

I played the xbone demo and didn't click with it - clunky and annoying for me unfortunately.

EBE

I played the xbone demo and didn't click with it - clunky and annoying for me unfortunately.
I don't know if the demo has tutorials but I've just finished 5 of 10 and they've been pretty handy. Game looks to be pretty menu heavy so knowing where everything is and how it works is important.
It's impressed me so far. The visual style is rather nice, even if it isn't up to the visual standards of other next gen games. I mean it's no lococycle but it aint no ryse either. Animals look and animate well. Im not regretting it so far.

Top Bottom