• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AGITΩ;232442850 said:
I laterally just got in my switches at my store and alreafy sold one. News apparently travelled fast.

Did your store get a significant amount or is it more like 3 or 4? Just out of curiosity btw.

This stock situation is kind of comical. I never expect Nintendo to get stock right for their items and they never really do. Things haven't changed since the 80s.

I really hope that they get a handle on it because if my son makes honor roll we promised he would get one around his birthday which is in late may.

WGMBY

Called the Best Buy near me, automated phone message said they could not give stock status of the switch over the phone -__-.

It's a pretty long walk from where I am to the nearest Best Buys, so I'd like to know if there is one at the store before I set out.

Hari Seldon

Called the Best Buy near me, automated phone message said they could not give stock status of the switch over the phone -__-.

It's a pretty long walk from where I am to the nearest Best Buys, so I'd like to know if there is one at the store before I set out.

Yeah Best Buy's website is annoying as it doesn't show in store stock. I'm probably going to eventually get mine from Target since it actually does show in store stock, although I don't know how accurate it is.

Futureman

Yeah Best Buy's website is annoying as it doesn't show in store stock. I'm probably going to eventually get mine from Target since it actually does show in store stock, although I don't know how accurate it is.

Probably accurate for something like a pair of Hanes socks.

Inaccurate for something that is a hot item and sells quickly after they put it on the shelf. I was looking for a Switch on the Sunday after launch and it said "In Stock" and "Limited Stock" for the various colors at different stores in my area and everywhere was totally sold out.

I have to believe a massive restock will happen prior to MK8. I remember something similar happened when MKWii released. Record sales for hardware in a non-launch/non-holiday month in the US if I recall correctly.

Persona7

Banned
Probably accurate for something like a pair of Hanes socks.

Inaccurate for something that is a hot item and sells quickly after they put it on the shelf. I was looking for a Switch on the Sunday after launch and it said "In Stock" and "Limited Stock" for the various colors at different stores in my area and everywhere was totally sold out.

I am not 100% sure but I think some stores update the stock tracker once a day or in intervals throughout the day. Can't remember if it was Target that works that way.

Scalpers will make sure it remains out of stock :/

My friend is trying to get one on amazon with credit. Hopefully they pop up soonish since every other store is getting a restock.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
can confirm this as of today - i work a couple blocks away from Nintendo NY, Pro controllers as well as charging grips and grey/neon Joy-Con sets are always in stock. worth a go if you live in NYC and need accessories!

Thanks Mews. I hope I can get there before it closes!

Seik

Banned
Welp, called a retailer near my place, told me he received a couple of those today but all sold within an hour.

Amazon.es sounds more and more interesting. At least I can order it and it'll ship once they have some. In Canada it seems like you can't reserve/order anything, you HAVE to be there once they get their shipments or you're fucked. They basically know nothing, shipments are randoms (They have no idea how many or when they will receive.) can't take name or reserve anything.

Slightly (very) frustrating.

Actually just caught the Grey Switch on Prime Now in Cincy. Firet time Ive ever seen it listed, but just like the NES Classic before it... day late and a dollar short. :/

Kar L

This stock situation is kind of comical. I never expect Nintendo to get stock right for their items and they never really do. Things haven't changed since the 80s.

I really hope that they get a handle on it because if my son makes honor roll we promised he would get one around his birthday which is in late may.
probably why Nintendo is the only console manufacturer to survive since the 80s.

Futureman

AGITΩ;232444922 said:
Not too many. 1 box has 5. Thats all we got. Mpst im seeing some stores get is 11

Are you on the west coast? I wonder if this shipment won't show up on the east side of the country until mid-week?

Oreoleo

Target employee in northeast Ohio said they *might* be getting a restock on Wednesday, which lines up with the GameStop stuff and west coast Target's getting a restock today (neither of which he was aware of). Take it for what you will but it does seem like Wednesday is gonna be the big day for a few retailers.
Are you on the west coast? I wonder if this shipment won't show up on the east side of the country until mid-week?
Basically. Stuff gets shipped across the Pacific and hits the west coast first, with trucks driving cross country over the next few days to drop off shipments. Logistically it makes perfect sense.

ngower

Brickseek showed 17 at my local Wal Mart, which seemed odd so I went down there. Nothing in stock. Was hoping to pick one up for a friend or, if they didn't want it, sell it on the internet somewhere (I already have one). Surely there aren't 17 on layaway?

Stock seems fine here (Austria). No Switch available on Amazon atm but I walked into a local Saturn this afternoon and grabbed one for my brother from a nice stack of both grey and neon. There seem to be enough to buy one any time you like. Not sure if it ever even sold out here except maybe on launch weekend.

Hope all you fellows who want one can get one real soon.

Brickseek showed 17 at my local Wal Mart, which seemed odd so I went down there. Nothing in stock. Was hoping to pick one up for a friend or, if they didn't want it, sell it on the internet somewhere (I already have one). Surely there aren't 17 on layaway?

People are saying unpicked up preorders. I have about 3 Walmart saying 16 in stock. Should've called first lol.

Faiz

People are saying unpicked up preorders. I have about 3 Walmart saying 16 in stock. Should've called first lol.

We have a few in town like that as well and seems odd for there to be so many. Like if there were 1 or 2 I could see it. But one store has 13, another 12, another 19. Those can't all be unclaimed preorders. Has to be an error in there.

Surely there aren't 17 on layaway?
The Walmart I went to this weekend had "about 20 just sitting in the back" that were on "preorder".

Apparently all those were preorders that people have not completely paid off so they haven't picked them up. On April 1st they get out out as regular stock.

It's fucking bullshit. I don't remember that shit when I used to work there. Must be new or for specific releases with huge demand?

You can usually tell by the in stock date. If the date was today it's probbaly new available stock.

Jay RaR

I missed ordering a Switch from Best Buy online, so I checked 2 Best Buys closest to my house but they didn't even get any Switches. Told me they'd expect it to be in stock in a week or two.

Wasted my damn time, well at least I got ice cream out of it.

Futureman

Kansas City?

my socks just ripped. Gotta go to Target...

I'm in Pittsburgh. Not expecting anything but we'll see. Will also pop into Best Buy. Tomorrow I have a photo job until 8 PM but it's right next to a Target so I can check after.

Out on the floor, or did you have to ask?

I had to ask like three people and everyone acted unaware the shipment had come in except one person. Then someone went and checked in the back and a manager type person came out with the box of five units. They sold me one, then said they'd put the other four up front, first come first serve.

That was about two hours ago.

kIdMuScLe

I don't know...did you expect Nintendo Switch to outsell the Wii U in less than a year? Can you tell me another console that's sold about 2-3million consoles in March? This conspiracy shit is retarded. Never had a problem with finding Nintendo stuff

I would definitely recommend pre-ordering everything you could see yourself getting from amazon asap.. once i got my switch i looked up all the games that i was most likely getting and threw down a big preorder because i know how awful nintendo stock can be even on huge games
aLtqujY.jpg

software will not be in short supply

I would definitely recommend pre-ordering everything you could see yourself getting from amazon asap.. once i got my switch i looked up all the games that i was most likely getting and threw down a big preorder because i know how awful nintendo stock can be even on huge games
aLtqujY.jpg

Im not too worried about the games, i imagine ill be able to walk in and buy most games i want. Getting the console to play those games, well, thats going to be the hard part.

Mael

Nintendo is shipping the units weekly around the globe, their increase in production will likely kick in sometime at the end of next month I guess.

Oh fuck, I'm getting Wii flashbacks...
People were actually listing Nintendo's shipment data and extrapolate from that...

I don't know...did you expect Nintendo Switch to outsell the Wii U in less than a year? Can you tell me another console that's sold about 2-3million consoles in March? This conspiracy shit is retarded. Never had a problem with finding Nintendo stuff

What...? Like what Nintendo stuff have you been buying?

The NES classic still isn't easily available after how many months now?
The Wii was a horror show to find for well over a year
The Wii U GameCube controller and adapter were both impossible to get at launch and for a while after.
How about amiibos? Those were super to easy find right?

This is just recent Nintendo launches. But this goes back to having to get rain checks for N64 games and accessories from toys r us, and probably was happening before that.

Saying Nintendo doesn't have a track record for this kind of thing is laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom