• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-TGS Japanese rumor checklist - DQ10 = MMO-like? (And other fun stuff!)

Cmagus

Dragon Quest MMO? might as well skip TGS you win. Looking forward to TGS though really hope to see some console JRPG's that isn't final fantasy.

Alextended said:
What's this "everything" aside from the rumour itself?
Nintendo is expected to announce "an extremely big title" in September, so it's obvious some people know exactly what's going on and stock price went up 10% that day.

JudgeN

Alextended said:
What's this "everything" aside from the rumour itself?

I'm wondering this as well but I still think odd rumor is the HD port for the vita.

How the hell is that even marketable in japan? It has to have some new set of equipment/missions or no one going to buy it, there just no reason for them to release this on Vita if its a straight port.

rpmurphy

Cmagus said:
Dragon Quest MMO? might as well skip TGS you win. Looking forward to TGS though really hope to see some console JRPG's that isn't final fantasy.
I think it's fair to expect that they will expand the multiplayer aspect for Dragon Quest X, after seeing how well-received DQIX was for that part of the game. But a full-blown MMO is probably not going to be the case.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Sammy Samusu said:
Nintendo is expected to announce "an extremely big title" in September, so it's obvious some people know exactly what's going on and stock price went up 10% that day.
Eh... Anything that's a "big title" for Nintendo's standards (read: millions upon millions of sales) could potentially cause that... Pokemon, Mario, or even a new IP intended to have as widespread appeal as those, maybe with the new character Miyamoto was hinting... Or did they specify it's going to be a third party title at least?

And why put stock on the stock price to begin with? That raised with the Pokemon iOS leak, clearly people didn't know specifics in that case with how it turned out...

DMeisterJ

Banned
Sammy Samusu said:

That's a hell of a stretch from "Big title to announce" to "MHP3G for 3DS" announced, especially from Capcom, and their record with the 3DS so far. Sounds more like wishful thinking to me.

--

And concerning controls for Monster Hunter, digital touch screen camera control, it would 'work', but I can't even imagine a worse way to control the camera in the game, especially when the other choice for that would be an actual analog stick. There is no way that any other camera control method comes close to an analog stick, and it was the sole issue that most people had with MH on PSP. There is no way that it's not better with an analog stick, and I'm not sure anyone could argue that. Well, I'm sure people could argue that, but I'm not sure why anyone would want a legitimately worse controls scheme by choice.

Cmagus

rpmurphy said:
I think it's fair to expect that they will expand the multiplayer aspect for Dragon Quest X, after seeing how well-received DQIX was for that part of the game. But a full-blown MMO is probably not going to be the case.

An online expanded version of something like DQ9 would work well as an mmo.Although I think your right that it wont be a full blown MMO but you never know.Could alsway have the console DQ an MMO and release single player based games on hand held.

Alrus

DMeisterJ said:
That's a hell of a stretch from "Big title to announce" to "MHP3G for 3DS" announced, especially from Capcom, and their record with the 3DS so far. Sounds more like wishful thinking to me.

A good port of their flagship fighting series (and apparent desire to have more fighting franchises on the 3DS), an apparently pretty good RE spinoff and a mainline resident evil game going back to the horror roots? That's pretty good support. They canned a cult favorite project that wasn't gonna sell (lets be realistic here), that's the only "bad support" they gave the 3DS. Compare that to Konami...

There is no way that any other camera control method comes close to an analog stick, and it was the sole issue that most people had with MH on PSP. There is no way that it's not better with an analog stick, and I'm not sure anyone could argue that.

Haha, the camera control are a relatively small issue people have with MH. Have you read recent MH threads?

I wouldn't mind either way, playing MH in 3D would be fun. Playing on Vita would be fun too. I'd say there is more chance of the game coming the west on the 3DS, because nintendo would probably publish it just like Tri.

jeremy1456

Aeana said:
GAF is the first place I've seen people who consider themselves fans of the DQ series but find one entry or another to be "horrible" or "total garbage" or whatever. The general quality of each entry is fairly consistent, in my opinion, with only minor fluctuations. 9 caused the biggest fluctuation, but that's because it's so different from the other entries. But it's still a good game.

While I don't mean to de-rail the thread, even the most hardcore of DQ fans must admit that DQII on the NES had some major balancing issues which made the main character the only really useful one throughout the game.

This is the only one I would consider not up to par with the rest, for this very reason.

I hope they don't change much if a 4 Heroes of Light sequel pans out.

I mean, I guess they could do an unlimited inventory thing or whatever and just label that as an "Easy Mode" or whatever to pacify the whining, but I hope they keep the sequel as hardcore and old school as the first. It was like Etrian Odyssey style revival but for Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy instead of Wizardry.

If anything I think Capcom are one of the biggest 3DS lovers there is. Compared to the shit from a few other developers so far, Capcom are a top backer.

I don't think MML3 had anything to do with it being a 3DS game lol.

Taichu

DQIX was my favorite in the series (liked the character customization, the main story, the post game, the quests, item completion, etc.). I really hope DQX follows in IX''s steps. I really wish it would get moved to 3DS, or at least have a 3DS and Wii version released.

SharkJAW

Sammy Samusu said:

Was there any mention of it being a third party title or the such?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
JudgeN said:
I'm wondering this as well but I still think odd rumor is the HD port for the vita.

How the hell is that even marketable in japan? It has to have some new set of equipment/missions or no one going to buy it, there just no reason for them to release this on Vita if its a straight port.
Considering the original goal of the HD release, I can't say I'm not a little surprised as well the more I think about it...

What 3rd HD brings to the PS3:
- A monster hunter game, finally
- HD resolution
- Updated textures
- twin stick support
- Stereoscopic 3D
- cross compatible saves

What 3rd HD brings to the Vita that the recently released MHP3rd on PSN doesn't
- High res textures, and AA?

Because:
- Twin sticks support is possible through emulation
- Thanks to the 4x PSP resolution of Vita, PSP games should theoretically look good, if January's demonstration of MHP3rd was anything to go by.
- 3D isnt possible on the Vita.
- Saves should compatible considering it'll be running on BC.

So basically, I'm left wondering why would anyone pick it over the PSN release.Then again, I dont think Capcom is above repackaging games and selling them for full price.

DMeisterJ said:
The "Shining Blade" trademark was found on Aug 16th, and Sony released Vita's release schedule on Aug 4th. The checklist is from around Jul 20th.

Also, Monster Hunter 3G is expected "to be announced in Sept", and "playable at Tokyo Game Show", why two different events? Because yesterday Nintendo confirmed a conference for Sept 13.

CinnabonJovii said:
Was there any mention of it being a third party title or the such?
No.

Alexios

DMeisterJ said:
And concerning controls for Monster Hunter, digital touch screen camera control, it would 'work', but I can't even imagine a worse way to control the camera in the game, especially when the other choice for that would be an actual analog stick. There is no way that any other camera control method comes close to an analog stick, and it was the sole issue that most people had with MH on PSP. There is no way that it's not better with an analog stick, and I'm not sure anyone could argue that. Well, I'm sure people could argue that, but I'm not sure why anyone would want a legitimately worse controls scheme by choice.
That just tells me you've barely played the games. It works fine with the d-pad on Wii, lots of people prefer that over the Classic Controller, not to mention even that doesn't offer actual analog camera control, just the standard steady rotation and a few different preset angles because that what you need in the game, you don't move around and aim and shoot like some FPS, you just keep a gigantic monster in view, not pixel perfect dead center, to properly react to its actions. Digital touch camera controls would work. It would not be quite as convenient as a nicely placed analog stick, but it wouldn't be problematic either, and so it's obviously not a reason for people to not want Monster Hunter on their given system of choice, with 3D, or whatever else they want to see in a potential 3DS version. Anyway, not that people who actually got into the series had a problem playing it on PSP which didn't even offer that. At least I've not seen anyone go all "oh, I love the games on PS2/Wii but just can't get into them on PSP" or something.

tl;dr, regardless of the rumour, claiming analog controls are the only good method for Monster Hunter's camera is at the very least ignorant.

As is the claim that the lack of a second stick on the PSP was the "sole issue" people had with the series. It didn't exactly explode on the systems without that issue.

Jinfash said:
Considering the original goal of the HD release, I can't say I'm not a little surprised as well the more I think about it...

What 3rd HD brings to the PS3:
- A monster hunter game, finally
- HD resolution
- Updated textures
- twin stick support
- Stereoscopic 3D
- cross compatible saves

What 3rd HD brings to the Vita that the recently released MHP3rd on PSN doesn't
- High res textures, and AA?

Because:
- Twin sticks support is possible through emulation
- Thanks to the 4x PSP resolution of Vita, PSP games should theoretically look good, if January's demonstration of MHP3rd was anything to go by.
- 3D isnt possible on the Vita.
- Saves should compatible considering it'll be running on BC.

So basically, I'm left wondering why would anyone pick it over the PSN release.Then again, I dont think Capcom is above repackaging games and selling them for full price.

the whole psp remaster program is initiated by Sony, Sony shows capcom some tools that make easy porting to ps3, if Vita get MHP3rd HD, I assume it is made by the same tools, so I expect native psvita resolution, proper analog support, upgraded textures to be in the Vita version too.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Callibretto said:
the whole psp remaster program is initiated by Sony, Sony shows capcom some tools that make easy porting to ps3, if Vita get MHP3rd HD, I assume it is made by the same tools, so I expect native psvita resolution, proper analog support, upgraded textures to be in the Vita version too.
I'm aware of that, but I wonder if the public will see much value in that. Maybe if it had a greatest hits price tag.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Alextended said:
That just tells me you've barely played the games. It works fine with the d-pad on Wii, lots of people prefer that over the Classic Controller, not to mention even that doesn't offer actual analog camera control, just the standard steady rotation and a few different preset angles because that what you need in the game, you don't move around and aim and shoot like some FPS, you just keep a gigantic monster in view, not pixel perfect dead center, to properly react to its actions. Digital touch camera controls would work. It would not be quite as convenient as a nicely placed analog stick, but it wouldn't be problematic either, and so it's obviously not a reason for people to not want Monster Hunter on their given system of choice, with 3D, or whatever else they want to see in a potential 3DS version. Anyway, not that people who actually got into the series had a problem playing it on PSP which didn't even offer that. At least I've not seen anyone go all "oh, I love the games on PS2/Wii but just can't get into them on PSP" or something.

tl;dr, regardless of the rumour, claiming analog controls are the only good method for Monster Hunter's camera is at the very least ignorant.

As is the claim that the lack of a second stick on the PSP was the "sole issue" people had with the series. It didn't exactly explode on the systems without that issue.

Wrong. I've played MH extensively, so let's just stop there. And if you read my post that you quoted in the first line I said it would work. And you just proved exactly what I said when I said that an analog stick would be better and more convenient than digital camera controls.

And when I said 'sole issue' with the game, it was in a sentence about the controls, so it was self-explanatory that it was about controls, and the lack of a second stick being a huge issue.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I find it funny that people keep on requesting second-analog controls... yet the game has already existed in consoles with that, yet the games never used it for camera control.

Alexios

DMeisterJ said:
Wrong. I've played MH extensively
Oh well, you bave a lot to learn still then. Keep playing it on various platforms and maybe some day you'll figure out it works great with or without analog camera control and that your given personal preferences don't make the inferiority you seem to perceive in digital camera controls an actual fact.

And you just proved exactly what I said when I said that an analog stick would be better and more convenient than digital camera controls.
I think you were reading a different post than mine because what I proved by citing people's opinions of Monster Hunter Tri was that a d-pad, ie digital camera controls, has been preferred by many before, veterans and newbies alike, even when they could have had access to an analog stick instead, completely disproving your position that anything less than an analog stick objectively sucks, even if it "works" and thus showing it's all about personal preference rather than gameplay shortcomings and disadvantages which digital camera controls absolutely do not introduce (and can introduce advantages of their own with the touch screen as a whole such as the item shortcuts suggested). Trying to imply you didn't put down how well digital camera controls can function in MH by adopting the extremely minor issue I mention, that you didn't even imply, and has nothing to do with the digital aspect of the controls which you emphasised and everything to do with the less than ideal positioning of it in the case of 3DS (but not Wii) is a pretty silly backpedal.

And by the way, digital control was a preference of the user who suggested that scheme for 3DS. Nothing would stop Capcom from doing a nice, fat, easy to pinpoint touch circle giving you 360 degrees (but probably still not an unecessary analog camera speed as it could get awkward like those iOS touch analogs) as opposed to a touch d-pad.

And when I said 'sole issue' with the game, it was in a sentence about the controls, so it was self-explanatory that it was about controls, and the lack of a second stick being a huge issue.
Yes, there are plenty issues people have with the series, including its controls. Have you even been in any MH threads? People don't get or don't like tons of things about the series, hence why it hasn't been very succesful in the West so far. Either way, worldwide, it didn't explode on platforrms without the "huge issue" you mention, it exploded when it landed on a platform with even more of an issue since it didn't even have the according to you so very inferior substitute 3DS can offer. So much for this "huge" issue.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Looking at the list, we could also check the part about Shining Blades, because SEGA trademarked it far before the day of the leak, at least an half check because we have to see if it will be on PSP.
...And also half of Vita's part?
In fact, he stated that Vita would have seen a release this year in Japan... and now we know Japan is the only territory that will see the platform this year.
Yes, Sony always stated that Vita was bound to a Holiday release at least in one territory, but all signs were pointing to a American and Japanese release for this year...

And, however.
Next week Famitsu will present other Vita games, including "that game", and Famitsu will also have a large report about Capcom.
Since this week there has been a large report about Konami and the biggest group of Vita titles announced were from Konami (strangely, the exclusive ones, apart from Malicious, that is a DD port+ from PS3)...

Poyunch

Moving underwater without camera control sounds terrible. I really hope Capcom uses the triggers for camera control and the menu stuff on the touch screen. Well even this control style sort of sucks. Since it would only control the horizontal axis.

PounchEnvy said:
Moving underwater without camera control sounds terrible. I really hope Capcom uses the triggers for camera control and the menu stuff on the touch screen. Well even this control style sort of sucks. Since it would only control the horizontal axis.
krxnn.jpg

That's probably the only setup you can control the camera and use attack buttons at the same time, including CCPRO and Wiimote.

French

Banned
I don't understand the point of releasing MH 3rd HD on Vita since there will be MH 3rd PSP ( dual stick compatible ) on the PS Store at Vita's launch. + Everybody will already have bought it on PSP and/or on PS3.

If they really want to test the market then release 3rd G not only on PSP but also on Vita ( 3rd G+ ), with better graphics and less loading.

Alexios

Sammy Samusu said:
http://i54.tinypic.com/krxnn.jpg

That's probably the only setup you can control the camera and use attack buttons at the same time, including CCPRO and Wiimote.
L/R are used for dashing, blocking, specials and things, not just the item menu, and since no handheld has 2 pairs of shoulder buttons they will need to do that on both Vita and 3DS when/if they get MH games. But L/R would only give you horizontal control anyway, you tend to need vertical as well for swimming or flying or just really huge monsters so you'd still have to map camera control elsewhere too. Anyway, I don't see the benefit in moving the camera around while attacking. I move the camera around to keep a monster in view, when I want to attack I make sure I'm perfectly lined up and perfectly timed - by focusing on my character's and camera control - because if I'm not it can cost me with the way the game works, especially with the slower weapons. I guess it could be another neat option to have on a home console's extra shoulder buttons, just as you could still use the d-pad to control the camera claw style on Wii or whatever, but I doubt I'd personally use it much or that it would affect my playing if I did.

Four Heroes of Light really surprised me given its mediocre reviews/impressions. I'd love more (and I didn't really mind the inventory either).

Alexios

And some weapon specials I forgot and edited in :p

But yeah sometimes I forget the classic controls too cos I've only been maining the remote + chuck on Wii, I like the gestures and don't feel the dpad is any worse than the stick.

Mpl90

8-4 say in their podcast that MH3DS will not be the announcement of pre-TGS conference if I understand correctly...
So, if it is still happening... specific Capcom conference?

Erethian

Mpl90 said:
8-4 say in their podcast that MH3DS will not be the announcement of pre-TGS conference if I understand correctly...

They didn't cover these specific rumours on the 8-4 podcast.

Spiegel

The leak came from a source inside of Sega it seems, so maybe the rumors about Sega games are true for sure and the others are rumblings within the industry and not necesarily true.

Mpl90 said:
I think they got it all confused with 01net rumors, the 8-4 guy says he's the source, right? And the checklist is coming, apparently, from a magazine.

Mpl90

Erethian said:
They didn't cover these specific rumours on the 8-4 podcast.

They said something like "supersilly rumors" and then they talked about Vitality Sensor,MH 3DS and Smash Bros...
... Now I remember when they claimed the exsistence of MH 3DS, and that time all started on Gaf... and nothing happened :lol

EDIT: Seeing Samusu, now I remember that in MC thread Chris1964 was talking about a Twitter about MH3G to be confirmed.
Some explanation about it?

Erethian

Mpl90 said:
They said something like "supersilly rumors" and then they talked about Vitality Sensor,MH 3DS and Smash Bros...
... Now I remember when they claimed the exsistence of MH 3DS, and that time all started on Gaf... and nothing happened :lol

They were just talking about all the random speculation that was happening when people heard about the September conference, but before these rumours were posted.

Top Bottom