• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thread of WTF Did they do to the character design??

Zophar

Well pretty much every character in MGS4 looked weird.

I thought most of the character designs were an improvement, really. I didn't like Naomi much either, I suppose.

I felt that Old Snake was a brilliant decision though; certainly one of the boldest.

ok guys, seriously? new Lara looks AMAZING and is a much more believable character than the old one.

but my biggest complain is AC: Revelations, the faces of Desmond and Ezio. OMFG... disgusting.

tumblr_lgrho5xqJ11qb0rueo1_400.png

To:

Zelda__Skyward_Sword_Link_by_skywardsword.jpg

Just gimme the old shit in realtime now, goddamit.

zoukka

I thought most of the character designs were an improvement, really. I didn't like Naomi much either, I suppose.

I felt that Old Snake was a brilliant decision though; certainly one of the boldest.

The designs might've been great, but the models themselves looked like wax and animated weird. I appreciate what they tried there, but the more stylized look of the older games fit the world better.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I was going to say:

Ah, beat em up characters. Xiaoyu looked so cute in Tekken 3, I haven't liked her looks as much in newer games, though she at least resembles her old self when wearing that classic costume, when it happens to be available, and you don't notice her new face in normal gameplay.

But then I actually looked up Xiaoyu's Tekken 3 looks and holy shit I used to like that thing?! That costume still wins though.

McNum

I don't like new Lara. They took one of the icons of gaming and "updated" her design in the unholy name of "realism". But Lara was never realistic. In the first game, she fought dinosaurs and demons and there was a dragon and aliens in the sequels. Classic Lara looked like the kind of character that could deal with that. New Lara... doesn't.

Yes, they went overboard with her previous design, but Modern Lara was a pretty solid look. New Lara is the female version of the shaven space marine look. She has nothing unique to her. Just a decent looking woman all covered in mud and blood. She's supposed to be this upper-class English woman as well as that. Back in Tomb Raider 1 it was the whole point. She was originally "Laura Craft" from the US, but it wasn't until they turned her into Lara Croft, rich bitch from the UK that she got the edge that made her an iconic character. I don't see any edge to new Lara. I see generic brown, blood, and grime. All we need is muzzle-flash yellow and we have all the colors of "realism".

Now I'm not going to defend the assets of some of the previous Lara designs, as they were getting Soul Calibur level stupid, but they toned that down in the newer games. I think, perhaps, what annoys me the most about new Lara is how awfully transparent the design is. Look at that promo shot. She's strong, but oh so vulnerable. They just replaced one adolescent fantasy with another, but if there's one thing Lara never was, it's vulnerable. This is going to be another Other M. And we're running out of video game female protagonists that don't have to be vulnerable. There was Samus and Lara and... who else? Now those two are gone.

akira28

I want new Lara Croft to take a shower and then get out of my house. Not even a sexy British accent can fix that one. Yeah she looks like a real woman, but they could have made her look like a different real woman. She used to look like a sexy badass, like a super spy jewel thief. I used to make her run circles around dudes with guns. Now she just looks rough, like 10 miles of bad road.

edit: don't like the new KOF Athena either. It hints at her magical girl origins, but I much prefer the original realistic look.

Defuser

How could you possible hate Athena's new art style? It's great. The first one of hers is just awful :/

Because it's by Nona,the artist who created the atrocious character design for 2001.

Majority if have a choice would prefer shinkiro or even better..Hiroaki,his XI art is fabulous.

I5CWb.jpg

RedAssedApe

Banned

I think I read somewhere that they had to change Desmond's character design because the original model (Francisco Randez) backed out after Brotherhood.

Ubisoft developers have actually explicitly stated that its modeled after the same guy. They simply had to redo their character models because of their new facial modeling system. Personally I think it does still look like the model, albeit older and more worn. For some reason everyone likes to use the image of him with the zombie eyes in comparison shots haha

I'm quite surprised how many in here like the new design for Chris. I think it's just unrealistic and atrocious.
On the other hand I guess it represents the way Capcom went with the series rather well. The old Chris wouldn't really fit the tight action of Resident Evil 5.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I'm quite surprised how many in here like the new design for Chris. I think it's just unrealistic and atrocious.
On the other hand I guess it represents the way Capcom went with the series rather well. The old Chris wouldn't really fit the tight action of Resident Evil 5.

Old Chris wouldn't have been able to punch that boulder.

How could you possible hate Athena's new art style? It's great. The first one of hers is just awful :/

Sure if you like blobs. I don't care if it was a throwback attempt to pre-KOF, she doesn't look right amongst the other characters.

LuCkymoON

Banned
ok guys, seriously? new Lara looks AMAZING and is a much more believable character than the old one.

but my biggest complain is AC: Revelations, the faces of Desmond and Ezio. OMFG... disgusting.
nah TR: Underworld was best Lara. The character had perfect muscle definition in her arms, other than her chest she actually looked like a rock climber. Males seems to be scared of women with muscles tho.

IrishNinja

Jill looks better in RE Revelations (ugh, thank god she's not blonde yet) but beret Jill is best.

always meant to ask:

260px-BowsersInsideStory.png

didnt Bowser used to have a nose?

LeleSocho

Banned
While I generally love Ayami Kojima's artwork, her work on Aria was rather horrible.

She recovered splendidly for Harmony of Despair though:

And then she went and recovered new Soma. This is much better than "random pimp coat and bellbottoms" Soma.

Oh please.... obviously HoDespair is better than DoS but it's nowhere near AoS
AoS uses Kojima design without the Baroquesque-Rococòesque complexity that she always use which i like but sometimes it's good to see her beautiful character design without the useless details.

Don't think anyone posted this yet.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin's Hitler:

P2-Hitler.jpg

Persona 2: Innocent Sin's Hitler... on PSP:

tumblr_lzghwvReXn1r2xy16.png

He's fucking awesome on the PSP. Well... as awesome as one of history's least awesome people gets, but I digress!

I'd say it's an improvement IMO, but that's not my opinion. It is fact.
Hahaha. Looks like Atlus was making one of those "DEAL WITH IT" GIFs.

I think new Lara Croft looks awful

Really?

j4XMW.jpg
>
eXxm7.jpg

I think she looks awesome, like a real person and not like a silicon filled blow-up doll with an anime face.

As for bad redesigns, this one takes the cake for me:

2624L.jpg
It wasn't enough that he's an idiot, they had to make him look like one.

I don't like this one either:

GLiza.jpg
>
B3kzu.jpg

From handsome and healthy to anorexic skull face.

Stop comparing new Lara to anything other than the Underworld design, it's disingenuous.

The problem I have with the new design is that it's really indistinct. It's like a muddied up brunette Elena. Lara is an iconic character whether or not you people give a shit. Swapping her out for generic model/love interest in a B rated action movie was a bad move.

Stop comparing new Lara to anything other than the Underworld design, it's disingenuous.

The problem I have with the new design is that it's really indistinct. It's like a muddied up brunette Elena. Lara is an iconic character whether or not you people give a shit. Swapping her out for generic model/love interest in a B rated action movie was a bad move.

Well, it's a reboot, they're obviously going for a really realistic look so they couldn't keep using the comic /anime face (that she still has in Underworld, that game still has a very comic-like character design).

Toppot

-Horrible image of Jak and Daxter Lost Frontier-

THIS IS HOW YOU SCREW IT UP
What the hell did they do to Keira???? =[ Making me kinda glad I haven't got the game yet
Plus that game has the stupid dark Daxter thing, despite the fact the reason he's an ottsel is he fell into a massive vat of dark eco already!

Still have no idea why people find the new design so offensive...looks like a rather tame progression, but Ive seen Sonic fans argue over the most inane things so I guess im the minority

That picture doesn't really show the full picture though. Look at how goofy Sonic looks in his idle animation in Sonic 4. On the other hand, he didn't look as bad in Generations. I think its down to the fact that most Sonic games that have the new design are shitty.

Gavavva

Banned
Classic:
major.gif

Losing the plot:
p_grunt.jpg

Halo called, they wan't their generic sci-fi player models back:
Quake4_SS.jpg

Then again, the same can be said for the ENTIRE game of Quake 4... Never did a game miss the design point so hard of the original, it was laughable at best. How in Gods name did we go from this:

light_guard.gif

To... This:

strogg_marine.jpg

Top Bottom