• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs specs revealed - 8 core CPU recommended

kortez320

You mean IPC?

IPS is just IPC and clockspeed.

My point is just that the 8350 is generally a bad gaming CPU because of it's bad per core performance compared to Intel. The 8350 is also AMD's fastest per core performer thus the recomendation. As long as you have a semi-modern Intel CPU you can expect to outperform it majorly in most apps.

In other words all the hysteria about seeing an 8 core on the list is unwarranted. I'd feel much better going into Watch Dogs with a 2500k then an 8350.

impact

Banned
Wondering how my 4670k/GTX760 combo will handle this, but I'm already leaning more towards PS4 just because I don't wanna pay $60 for a PC game.

maneil99

So PS4 version it is. Without a legal way to test the game out Im skipping this game unless the console ports decent.

GavinUK86

Seriously? Are yall saying the PS4 version will be that much better than if I get the PC version with those specs?

BUT I DON'T WANNA....

/cry

Well I have an i7 2600k and a GTX660 and I haven't got much faith in the PC version running well judging by how the past few Assassin Creed games have ran.

pa22word

In other words all the hysteria about seeing an 8 core on the list is unwarranted. I'd feel much better going into Watch Dogs with a 2500k then an 8350.

I really doubt them throwing an i7 up there is purely coincidental though, especially given that both the PS4/X1 have 8 thread CPUs.

If you remember back in the day, this isn't exactly unrepresented with Ubi at the turn of a generation. AC1 had quite the controversy over it's dual core requirements.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
This just screams UNOPTIMIZED. Ubisoft is notorious for horrible PC ports of their games.

riflen

Metal Gear Rising was a really great PC port, in spite of a few glitches.

Come on. You're not serious with this. You're comparing something like MGR:R to Watch_Dogs?
A PC built in the last 5 years could brute-force MGR:R. The game doesn't even support resolutions above 1920x1080 without 3rd-party software and is limited to 60fps.

Watch_Dogs is a huge open-world game with highly divergent gameplay and a state-of-the-art DirectX 11 renderer.
I like MG:R as much as the next guy, but at this point you're either trolling or clueless.

LordOfChaos

They recommend a 8 core CPU but only a 560ti for graphics....yeah....OK.

The 8 core thing is likely bull, but on the principal of it that doesn't have to not make sense. GPU workloads are scalable, you can turn down settings. The CPU is going to be doing mostly the same thing regardless of graphical settings though.

pa22word

Game utilizes all CPU cores for better multithreaded support - "Unoptimize piece of shit confirmed!"

How about actually waiting for the game to come out before judging the performance?

Problem being we've all been fed that same bull-fucking-shit so often by pubs this gen that essentially no-one takes it seriously. Ubisoft especially, who has a glaring track record of throwing out shitty unoptimized ports. Ffs, the Mac version of Splinter Cell Conviction requires a damned i7 to play!

DukeBobby

If the price of current gen console games weren't so ridiculous here in the UK (£48? Fuck off), I'd probably pick it up on PS4.

PC version it is then, despite the inevitable shitty optimization.

Lexxism

iZzERBPimu0ds.png

I'm fucked?

What software is this?

Piggus

Problem being we've all been fed that same bull-fucking-shit so often by pubs this gen that essentially no-one takes it seriously. Ubisoft especially, who has a glaring track record of throwing out shitty unoptimized ports. Ffs, the Mac version of Splinter Cell Conviction requires a damned i7 to play!

It's hit and miss imo. Conviction runs at a sexy 1080p 60 fps on my 7970. ACIII I had locked at 30 fps at 2560x1440 with max settings and 4xAA. It had some thread optimization issues but wasn't a deal breaker. FC3 ran flawlessly for the most part. I think people get it I to their head that their Titan PC needs to run everything at 60 fps+ or the game is unoptimized garbage but the REALITY is that big open world games are very heavily CPU bound and very few people have the CPUs to get those engines up to 60 fps. It doesn't mean the games are unoptimized, it just means that open world games by nature are demanding.

Fucking called it...

You didn't call shit. We don't know how the game runs on PC yet.

Normally I would be on board with saying it is down to poor PC optimization by Ubi, but this game had been in development using PC hardware since long before they would have even had dev kits for the new consoles. Everything points to this game being built from the ground up on the PC and ported to the consoles as their specs came out, not the other way around.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Wait, the i7 3770k's a Quad-Core. My i7 4770k is a Quad-Core. Are they counting by threads?

pa22word

Fucks sake, this game can't win anymore.

PS4: WTF visuals don't look good anymore. E3 demos were faked, probably running on super PC

PC: WTF? 8 cores for memory? This game is optimized as fuck.

You don't really understand what you're talking about.

If the game needs 8 threads and uses them correctly--fine. Mostly no one really guffawed about Crysis running like ass on anything but the 8800 series at the time. However, Ubi has a history with shitting out mediocre PC ports, thus people are skeptical.

sjay1994

You don't really understand what you're talking about.

If the game needs 8 threads and uses them correctly--fine. Mostly no one really guffawed about Crysis running like ass on anything but the 8800 series at the time. However, Ubi has a history with shitting out mediocre PC ports, thus people are skeptical.

Farcry 3 was pretty well optimized.

Stick of truth ran well (its not a very intensive game, but still)

Anvil is typically not the best performing engine on PC.

Hold of a bit for some performance impressions without whipping out the unoptimized stick.

The game is using a new engine, and ubisoft has repeatedly said "the games lead platform is PC"

Not to mention that there is no mention of uplay being required.

Dang. I was hoping my 760 and i5-3570k would be fine, but i may have to give the game a pass if it needs an i7.

It doesn't need one, note the Recommended part
Anybody can recommend specs.
Recommended Specs
OS: Windows 7 (SP1), Windows 8.1, Windows 9.2, or Windows One (64-bit versions only)

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-4627 v2 @ 3.6GHz or AMD FX-4120 @ 4.1GHz

Memory: 192 GB RAM

Graphics: 4+ GB Video RAM - Nvidia Geforce GTX Titan Black or AMD Radeon R9 295 X2 or 3DFX Voodoo2

DirectX: Version Infinity

Hard Drive: 25,000 GB available space

Sound Card: DirectX 13.0c Compatible Sound Card with Latest Drivers

Additional Notes: Broadband connection and service required for multiplayer mode.

Bleepey

Fuck, is this going to be a trend, I bought a i5 4670k due to recommendation that it should be future proof for the PS4 generation, if I had known 8 core is going to be a standard I would have bought a different CPU.

Haha same except I got the 4670. I was told the 8350 was garbage and developers recommending it were full of shit.

impact

Banned
Farcry 3 was pretty well optimized.

Stick of truth ran well (its not a very intensive game, but still)

Anvil is typically not the best performing engine on PC.

Hold of a bit for some performance impressions without whipping out the unoptimized stick.

The game is using a new engine, and ubisoft has repeatedly said "the games lead platform is PC"

Not to mention that there is no mention of uplay being required.

Uplay is required and I'm not sure why you'd even bring up Stick of Truth in your argument to begin with. It's not made by a Ubisoft studio and it's one of the most basic games that will be released all year.

Anteater

Interested to see how this game will look and run! For me I think it's one of the first multiplatform games that look "next gen".

axb2013

The i5 will be fine for this game. People are freaking out over nothing.

Freaking out is so much more popular than remaining calm. On may 27th people will forget about CPU's and tallk about video cards. Open world titles like CPU's but they love video cards.

Top Bottom