• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Madness 2017 |OT| The Committee Doesn't Know What They're Doing

Status
Not open for further replies.

clav

Everyone picking against Minnesota has never seen Minnesota play. Can't wait for all their salt.

I think Minnesota can pass its first game although some question marks due to injury loss of Akeem Springs.

Whether they can go further from there is a mystery.

NH Apache

Banned
UNO is getting some good press for being happy to be there:

"UNO men's basketball players cut down practice time in Ohio, greet fans instead"
http://wgno.com/2017/03/14/uno-mens...own-practice-time-in-ohio-greet-fans-instead/

"Tom Archdeacon: Playing for their city, New Orleans Privateers thankful to be in Dayton"

Posted: 10:30 p.m. Monday, March 13, 2017

In 44 years as a sportswriter I'd never had this happen before.
When the four University of New Orleans basketball players finished their First Four press conference late Monday afternoon, they stepped off the raised stage and – paying no attention to the aide who told them to exit through a back curtain – they approached each of the handful of media types at their session, looked every person in the eye, shook hands firmly and said two words:

”Thank You!"

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sp...teers-thankful-dayton/euxLjdDRlsfULgEBguI2iK/

UNO plays St. Mary's at 6:30pm EDT on the network known for its amazing sports coverage, TruTV.

ryseing

Everyone picking against Minnesota has never seen Minnesota play. Can't wait for all their salt.

I know you gotta defend your team, but the game is a pick'em for a reason. MTSU is good.

Tourney technically begins tonight. Wake/KSU should actually be a decent game.

Proelite

NCAA%20bracket%20final.jpg

The only way Bucknell is winning anything this year!

North Carolina should not have won their first round game.

:jnc

dtcm83

Rooting for the Zags to make it to the FF, been following them since my undergrad days there in the early 2000s. I think this could finally be the year it happens, although I would be very surprised if they win the whole tourney :p

What's your opinion on the screw job the NCAA committee just gave to you guys.

It's a ridiculous path to the championship for sure, but if we can somehow get passed it then it will mean that much more. Until then, I'll probably be hearing about how shitty the committee is everywhere I go at least until the tournament ends.

No it's your program and Calipari.
We started that shit for sure, I guess I'm complaining more about the actual rule itself. I wish it could get extended past one year. I'll take a two and done rule at this point.

3's better rain because I have them in my final four

Oh we can do it. AP rankings be damned, we're easily top 3 in the country when we're on. The problem is running with so many shooters, if the stars don't align and everyone is off, we have trouble putting together a workmans offense. Grinding out points is just not something in our repertoire.

clav

Oh we can do it. AP rankings be damned, we're easily top 3 in the country when we're on. The problem is running with so many shooters, if the stars don't align and everyone is off, we have trouble putting together a workmans offense. Grinding out points is just not something in our repertoire.

Some people say disadvantaged schools use 3-pointer strategy as a great equalizer. If you can dish out the ball to someone who has feet set, you can consistently score 3s.

To completely rely on it for a powerhouse school is kinda strange. Why not go old school and position big dudes next to the basket for an easy score? Make cuts/throws.

Some people say disadvantaged schools use 3-pointer strategy as a great equalizer. If you can dish out the ball to someone who has feet set, you can consistently score 3s.

To completely rely on it for a powerhouse school is kinda strange. Why not go old school and position big dudes next to the basket for an easy score? Make cuts/throws.

Your guess is as good as mine. UCLA has a great name but years of lackluster performance means that our recruiting classes haven't been as good as they could have been. So while we get mentioned with Kentucky, Duke, et al we're not the powerhouse we used to be.

Though this year, depending on the outcome of this tourney, could help return us to previous stature.

As for our strategy, Coach Alford hasn't impressed me and I think what happened is with Lonzo running point and creating opportunities for others both took the pressure off Alford (player) and allowed our other great shooters to gain confidence. We ended up shooting the lights out on most teams and that's sort of became the default. We run plays but since we haven't needed to do that most of the season, we're just not great at that execution. And having so many shooters, our guys tend to take the shot to turn things around rather than buckling down with sound strategy.

Our 3 point precision became a double edged sword. At least that's my take on it.

clav

I just took a brief look at UCLA's history in NCAA. So it fell quite a bit with the previous coach with UCLA bowing out sometimes in the first round of 64 or no shows, which ultimately led to firing the coach.

Last year UCLA was also a no-show, but did make it to the round of 16 with its current coach twice in three years.

You have a reputation at a campus in a warm state in a pleasant neighborhood close to Santa Monica and a history of repeated appearances in NCAA.

Recruiting couldn't have been difficult, so I don't agree with your assessment.

-------------------

From my limited understanding of basketball through Princeton Offense, all I know is teams who are disadvantaged will run the shot clock down on every possession close to zero and slow down the game to a lull in order to catch the team off guard and make a quick shot somewhere either through a backdoor cut or for an open three.

Game plan is to keep the game slow and low scoring.

Yes, some people say, "You live and die by the three."

UCF takes down Colorado in Round 1 of the NIT. 1st even major postseason basketball tourney win.

Still with 7 scholarship players. Going to be crazy next year I think once all of the transfers can play.

I just took a brief look at UCLA's history in NCAA. So it fell quite a bit with the previous coach with UCLA bowing out sometimes in the first round of 64 or no shows, which ultimately led to firing the coach.

Last year UCLA was also a no-show, but did make it to the round of 16 with its current coach twice in three years.

You have a reputation at a campus in a warm state in a pleasant neighborhood close to Santa Monica and a history of repeated appearances in NCAA.

Recruiting couldn't have been difficult, so I don't agree with your assessment.

-------------------

From my limited understanding of basketball through Princeton Offense, all I know is teams who are disadvantaged will run the shot clock down on every possession close to zero and slow down the game to a lull in order to catch the team off guard and make a quick shot somewhere either through a backdoor cut or for an open three.

Game plan is to keep the game slow and low scoring.

Yes, some people say, "You live and die by the three."

I said recruiting classes weren't as good as they could have been referring to the reputation that UCLA has had as a powerhouse in the sport since the Wooden years.

There's more to coaching effectiveness than how deep you go in the tourney. I also wasn't a fan of Howland. I liked Lavin and Herrick though. Alfords reign has been middling at best and our best run under him is this year and has everything to do with Lonzo Ball, who is an LA kid who was going to go to UCLA no matter who the coach was. If his dad has his way (and he has thus far) he'll go to the Lakers asap in the NBA and stay there his whole career. It's likely his brothers (who are both already committed to UCLA despite the youngest being only 15) will follow suit.

UCLA doesn't run down the shot clock to open up threes. We're a westcoast team that wants to play westcoast ball (high paced fast breaks). So our guys tend to just stop and pop shots.

Coach Alford hasn't done anything special with the program. The most effective he's been this year has been largely getting out of the way of his talented roster and let them shoot their way to a great record. There have been several instances this year where, when the outside shot was off, a good coach could implement a strategy to bring offense another way. He's never done that (that I've seen).

clav

UCLA analysis

Thanks, so you've followed this team for quite a while.

Well, you have to go somewhat deep and make it almost every year. Later is key. See, my school never made it until this year, and this event makes Rutgers the next school that has the longest streak of not going to the NCAA from a major conference for a while. You can't really sell a program to a recruit when there are no recent results or results at all.

We'll see what happens at the tourney.

Sounds like he doesn't really draw up strats.

ryseing

Wooo!

I know there's no chance against Kansas, but making the main 64 bracket is good enough for me!

Also, lol at this photo from the game:

NrkGr2h.jpg

I was rooting for Central because of my state pride, but it's good to see a team like UCD get a W.

Extra cash doesn't hurt.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I was rooting for Central because of my state pride, but it's good to see a team like UCD get a W.

Extra cash doesn't hurt.

UCD won the Division II championship title while I was still attending there, it's still surreal to see them in Division I.

clav

I'm watching USC Providence game, and I see USC plays a variant of Princeton Offense.

So, what is west coast basketball supposed to mean?

For instance, I remember people told me here in this part of the midwest, we play B1G basketball. Rough at the rim + grind out games.

Picked my bracket. Went with the tried and true tradition of just picking random teams and VCU to win 1 game.

I expect to either win it all, or crash and burn in flames. No middle ground.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I have ND winning in one bracket and losing in another, so one will start perfect and the other will already be ruined lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom