• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ULTRA 2017 Electronic Music Festival - 5 mins of your favorite band, 1h of DJ Snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr stroke

Watching the Alesso set right now. What's been popping, y'all?

This is..... One of Alesso's weirdest set that I've heard. Doesn't he usually play a ton of Electro House and Big Room?

Yeah not a fan of that Alesso set at all ( and I enjoy Alesso)

I was expecting some big room banging acid electro, and it was Hits+Bigroom+Trap+Hardstyle+Pop Yikes :\

I'm still weirded out that many of these drugged up folks seem to turn up when it hits night time. It's the buildup from the pills and the flashing lights, isn't it?

Checked out the Resistance stream earlier and it was indeed lit. I enjoyed Anna's set!

Time for GAF to take a drink everytime they yell, "hands up!" and "jump!"

Bloomers

I started dancing to that last Martin Garrix song, that was crazy good.

"I'm so glad you came,
need to know your name,
it doesnt really matter,
it doesnt really matter,
faded on the low..."

I do like Garrix and think he has talent but I really want to see him actually try his best at something other than Future Bass. On the otherhand, it's hard to gauge whether he is trying hard with Future Bass so who am I to judge.

I wasn't a fan of his Big Room or Electro House tracks besides a couple like Lions In The Wild and Dragon. His Big Room tracks are decent in the right mood though.

Garrix doesn't have the hunger anymore. It happens to everyone when they become super huge.

I can see that. He became huge during the Big Room phase and seems to put out mediocre to bad tracks.

I do hope something humbles him. He's fucking young, man. Dude could be making some badass music. He could be the one person changing the Big Room sound, and he did, but abandoned it, sadly.

see5harp

I dunno who you're talking about, but do yourself a favor and go watch Porter and Madeon instead.

I will probably see Porter and Madeon or at least part of it. I can't stand the style these big EDM guys mix. It's like the same build up, fade out into vocal and then drop combined with the "3-2-1 jump" shit that is so cheesy. Underworld shits all over these guys.

wait

are they on now? or do you just mean in general lol

Their last performance together at least in it's current form is Coachella this year.

spootime

Damn I really like this music so far from Martin Garrix.

Also I'm super basic when it comes to EDM and I know nothing about the different genres.

Damn I really like this music so far from Martin Garrix.

Also I'm super basic when it comes to EDM and I know nothing about the different genres.

Lol, there's nothing wrong with that. Enjoy it, fam.

This is his best set so far this year (I'm drunk, lol. The only set this year in terms of large festivals.) Having a shitload of throwbacks. Dude knows what his old fanbase likes.

Dai101

Banned
I don't take pills only drink and sometimes in a blue moon, smoke, so I wouldn't know lol.

There goes the Future Bass, Ashhong! Lol.

I only took X once, and that was a long ass time ago, but yeah i still remember all them folks drugged out of their mind just enjoying the music and pretty lights.

Now weed, that's my jam still to this day.
BTW and totally unrelated to this thread but kinda in the same vein of that post of your, is the only way i can stand pink floyd.

spootime

Lol, there's nothing wrong with that. Enjoy it, fam.

This is his best set so far this year. Having a shitload of throwbacks. Dude knows what his old fanbase likes.

Is this different than what is usually played? I didnt like listening to Ultra last year since it sounded like all the artists were playing generic versions of their songs (idk how to describe it? lots of bass rhythm?)

As an uncultured loser who likes big room, I was also on the Garrix train a few years ago. And then... bleh?

A lot of the big name sets these days reek of trying way too hard without really doing that much. This is a lot of genre bouncing for <1hr. Alesso kept it simpler.

I only took X once, and that was a long ass time ago, but yeah i still remember all them folks drugged out of their mind just enjoying the music and pretty lights.

Now weed, that's my jam still to this day.
BTW and totally unrelated to this thread but kinda in the same vein of that post of your, is the only way i can stand pink floyd.

Lol. I had one friend take Naked White Lady and we (I'm ashamed, yes) locked him in my friend's car..... The only thing he was doing was raving, lol. Dude was soooo out of it. There was no helping him by then. He didn't give no fucks that he was locked in. The music was just all he heard and that was it.

I cannot imagine what I would be like if I took a pill :(

I like the poppy Garrix songs like Scared to be Lonely. I mean its basically pop music but its catchy. I dont go to many "raves", Galantis was the last real edm show I went to.

Is this different than what is usually played? I didnt like listening to Ultra last year since it sounded like all the artists were playing generic versions of their songs (idk how to describe it? lots of bass rhythm?)

Garrix usually plays what is popular and some of his own tracks. The last time I watched his set he played more Future Bass than tonight.

The short stick of it is..... Most of these festival goers are taking pills before hand and they only feel the bass and the lights. So most, if not all, DJs have to play a certain genre: Big Room. A genre with alot of Bass.

Now within the last year or two a certain genre became popular. Future Bass. It offered a way for many DJs to make their sets "varied". It was a genre that sounded good to the regular listener's ear. It introduced many more people into EDM. It at least made the DJ's set more varied besides the usual Big Room/Electro House sound.

But tonight, Garrix at least showed some variety within Big Room and Electro House with some Future Bass being played but that's because he played most of his best tracks.

As an uncultured loser who likes big room, I was also on the Garrix train a few years ago. And then... bleh?

A lot of the big name sets these days reek of trying way too hard without really doing that much. This is a lot of genre bouncing for <1hr. Alesso kept it simpler.

I like variety and so far we have had some variety. Some Future Bass earlier, some Bass House, some Electro House, some Big Room, some Dubstep, and some Trap, some DnB, some Trance/Trouse, and some Rap.

I like how they handled Mainstage this year so far. It's been varied and I like it. Now to see if Hardstyle catches on next year, evil laughter!

Talonz

Martin has said he has to play all his popular shit or the casuals get mad at him. So he's damned if he does or damned if doesn't really. It's the price of being the megapopular DJ he has become. He has sneaked in a few ID's in this set.

I'll be dissappointed if Spaceships isn't played. lol

I like variety and so far we have had some variety. Some Future Bass earlier, some Bass House, some Electro House, some Big Room, some Dubstep, and some Trap, some DnB, some Trance/Trouse, and some Rap.

I like how they handled Mainstage this year so far. It's been varied and I like it. Now to see if Hardstyle catches on next year, evil laughter!
The later half of this set has calmed down and has been fun. The string of "omg I need another mashup and an edit and and andandand" tires me after a half hour. Hardwell fell into the same spot the past few years.
I know they'vs skipped alot of shit but I'm surprised not many have played much The Chainsmoker's, lol.
Thank you Sweet Jesus.

Edit: Spoke tooooooo soooooooon, and it's even an "old" one!

Major Lazer messed that transition up..... You don'f fuck up DLMD, lol. That seems like the easiest to not mess up a transition, lol.

Alot of Trap anthems though.

Edit: at least with tomorrow, there won't be much Trap anthems. Dash Berlin and A&B cannot seriously play some Trap, can they? I think there will be alot of Electro House and Big Room and some Trouse.

I was surprised to hear a Bounce track tonight though.

Ahaha, see, this is perfect. A bonkers MC goof-off and heaving different music around. Screw trying to be flashy.

I think if you try and give Hardstyle a listen, you would like the sets. MC Villain is an ok emcee. Hardstyle sets seem to be all about the energy and fun. That's why I love Hardstyle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom