• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Gartooth

I'm having a hard time successfully grappling from one block to a second. Any tips? I've fallen into lava a couple times because of it. lol

Anteo

It's probably just me, but I was never able to activate it reliably enough. I'd really just prefer ZL/ZR.

Nah. I can see that it could be hard on some people, and it would also depend on the circle pad not being loose. Personally, I was able to do jumps into morphball since the early game with no problems. I even used it a lot to jump > morphball > spider ball before i got the morphball jump.

Egida

Neo Member
Replaying this now on Hard, as fast as I can. Funnily enough, on my first playthrough I didn't use the ice beam on the metroid fights until almost the end, so now I'm blasting those lil bastards at the speed of light.
Feels so damn good.

Finished it 100%. What a game! A few thoughts:

• The game looks fantastic. The backgrounds are full of life and little details. I loved the creatures that walked around, the walls that started to crumble as you walked by... The best part for me was the Chozo architecture, which was very reminiscent of the Prime games.
  • I can't say I agree with the complaints about the music. To some extent, the original M2 adhered to the original Metroid tradition of upbeat music in the beginning -> ominous, creepy music until the end -> upbeat music in the end. They just took it to the extreme in that game, as some areas had super weird, otherworldly tracks with no distinct melody. I really liked how SR acknowledges that and tries to stick to that formula, apart from the few SM tracks that were thrown in as fanservice and
    that Chozo Lab track which was terrific
    . Boss music was great, too, especially the Alpha and Gamma Metroids and
    the Queen
    . The rendition of the credits theme was very disappointing though.
  • The bosses are thrilling. I died a few times to some of the later ones, but I never felt frustrated. It just made me rethink my strategy and try again. And it feels so good when it finally clicks and you destroy them.
  • The suit design looks really good but it looks somewhat "overdesigned" in parts. The visor is a bit too aggressive and makes me wonder how she can even see anything. The original visor looked a lot better in my opinion:

analisis-metroid-samus-returns-nintendo-3ds.jpg

I also feel like the lights are a tiny bit too much and her shoulders too big. But all things considered, it's a great design and I'm very happy that the Gravity Suit is back in it's purple glory.

About the ending:

The fight against Ridley was very intense, but I'm still not sure how to feel about his inclusion. It kind of diminishes the impact the Queen has on the player. In the original, the part where you walk to your ship with the baby after beating that menacing creature was cathartic. Some of that is lost in SR due to Ridley and because there are teleporters on the way and you are encouraged to use them to collect missing items. But still, the atmosphere when you come back to the surface was handled really well and the subsequent fight was awesome.

The Chozo memories were a really nice touch and I loved the way they were drawn. It feels good to know that Nintendo has not forgotten about those guys. They are one of my favourite elements of the Metroid series and I'm dying to know more about them.

I'm just really happy that this game exists. Metroid II holds a very special place in my heart, and yeah, some of my "complaints" might seem strange, but they're just minor nitpicks at the end of the day. The only real complaint I have about this game are the high heels. Fuck those.

About the ending:

The fight against Ridley was very intense, but I'm still not sure how to feel about his inclusion. It kind of diminishes the impact the Queen has on the player. In the original, the part where you walk to your ship with the baby after beating that menacing creature was cathartic. Some of that is lost in SR due to Ridley and because there are teleporters on the way and you are encouraged to use them to collect missing items. But still, the atmosphere when you come back to the surface was handled really well and the subsequent fight was awesome.

The Chozo memories were a really nice touch and I loved the way they were drawn. It feels good to know that Nintendo has not forgotten about those guys. They are one of my favourite elements of the Metroid series and I'm dying to know more about them.

I'm just really happy that this game exists. Metroid II holds a very special place in my heart, and yeah, some of my "complaints" might seem strange, but they're just minor nitpicks at the end of the day. The only real complaint I have about this game are the high heels. Fuck those.
I thought the Ridley fight was fun enough to warrant his inclusion. If the game had ended after the Metroid Queen, that might have been a little lame, or they needed to bump her difficulty up, since she wasn't really that hard. There's no timer or anything to escape so there's no real tension. The game would have just ended and you'd walk out and I think that would be a little weird given that's not usually how Metroid games end.

Ridley's inclusion also bridges the Prime trilogy back into the canon, by showing a half meta/half organic Ridley that's slowly regrowing his organic parts and by the end, is back to being entirely organic, just in time for Super Metroid.

Egida

Neo Member
The suit design looks really good but it looks somewhat "overdesigned" in parts. The visor is a bit too aggressive and makes me wonder how she can even see anything. The original visor looked a lot better in my opinion
I feel like after Other M we needed a more aggressive look for Samus. Let her badassery shine, like
at the end of the Robot Boss fight, when she blows up its face without even looking.
It's pure poetry.

Ridley's inclusion also bridges the Prime trilogy back into the canon, by showing a half meta/half organic Ridley that's slowly regrowing his organic parts and by the end, is back to being entirely organic, just in time for Super Metroid.

This is true, and I hope it shuts up the "Sakamoto HATES Prime" crowd.

I feel like after Other M we needed a more aggressive look for Samus. Let her badassery shine, like
at the end of the Robot Boss fight, when she blows up its face without even looking.
It's pure poetry.

That was a very satisfying moment indeed! :D

Finished it 100%. What a game! A few thoughts:
The game looks fantastic. The backgrounds are full of life and little details. I loved the creatures that walked around, the walls that started to crumble as you walked by... The best part for me was the Chozo architecture, which was very reminiscent of the Prime games.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this! I keep hearing it's ugly or that it lacks variety and going 'whaaaat' in my head? While the 2D games have striking pixel art and will always look timeless it is nice to have a 2D Metroid with backgrounds that have this much depth, life and detail in them. None of the other 2D games come close in that regard and this reminds me more of the Prime series. It's quite incredible with the 3D effect on and while I'll miss that moving forward I cannot wait to see what they do for the Switch! Just so glad Metroid is back.

Egida

Neo Member
Yass, one of the (very) few games I've played with the 3D slide up in its entirety, and I have over 30 games on the shelf.

Also, I'd like to point out the sound of water running when there's a river or a cascade behind you, very cool.

Finished for the second time, 100% in 5:19. This game is huge. Just going back to the earlier areas to sweep for 100% took a good deal of time.

I wonder if the Fusion suit and some other things were leftover models from the Fusion remake pitch.

The concept art for the Fusion suit certainly looks like concept for a remake (it also fixes the Varia colors to not look awful).

There's also some concept art of fossils of various monsters found in Fusion that aren't found in this game, just confirming to the player they exist, we just didn't get a chance to see them. Based on just the fossils, they seem slightly remade as well.

Opa-Pa

I think at least the fusion suit model is clearly from tbe original pitch. I remember whdn it was revealed and it feels super random, I think the suit design in general isn't even that popular? (I like the one with the default colors a lot myself). But yeah it feels like they simply decided to keep it as an extra because why not.

Hylian7

I think at least the fusion suit model is clearly from tbe original pitch. I remember whdn it was revealed and it feels super random, I think the suit design in general isn't even that popular? (I like the one with the default colors a lot myself). But yeah it feels like they simply decided to keep it as an extra because why not.
End game spoilers:
It's also entirely possible the X Parasite model was from that scrapped Fusion pitch.

I wonder if the Fusion suit and some other things were leftover models from the Fusion remake pitch.

The concept art for the Fusion suit certainly looks like concept for a remake (it also fixes the Varia colors to not look awful).

There's also some concept art of fossils of various monsters found in Fusion that aren't found in this game, just confirming to the player they exist, we just didn't get a chance to see them. Based on just the fossils, they seem slightly remade as well.

Totally right about them fixing the fusion suit. Their version much better.

You know, remaking M2 instead of MF was really the right call. M2 was the most limited. However, now with that box already checked. I wouldn't be mad if they remade Fusion. Sure, an original game would be notably preferable, but seeing how much they improved the Fusion suit in-game and in art, it's tempting. In-game didn't quite live up to the art, but imagine if it came out on Switch.

Fusion was sort of a black sheep until Other M came around. I'd buy a Mercury Steam remake if one happened.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I had to retry that
digger chase segment
quite a few times,
the morph ball jumping into grapple then missile + jump was such a precise section of actions to do. I was glad to finally get it. Space jump was a nice reward.

In area 5 now, just got the final Aeon ability. This game is way longer/bigger than I thought!

I maintain that Area 3 is the weak point of the game. I think they should have left the Spazer Beam in it as it was in Metroid II, the only two upgrades in the Area as it is now are more situational, so you feel pretty weak for an unusually long time.

Totally right about them fixing the fusion suit. Their version much better.

You know, remaking M2 instead of MF was really the right call. M2 was the most limited. However, now with that box already checked. I wouldn't be mad if they remade Fusion. Sure, an original game would be notably preferable, but seeing how much they improved the Fusion suit in-game and in art, it's tempting. In-game didn't quite live up to the art, but imagine if it came out on Switch.

Fusion was sort of a black sheep until Other M came around. I'd buy a Mercury Steam remake if one happened.

They did a really nice job with that concept for a redone Fusion suit. In-game it doesn't really come across as good, though, since the textures are a bit too low res to get the details.

I worry what they'd do for Fusion's dialog in a remake. It's not great, and usually consists of short sentences. So voice acting would be awkward, and re-writing it to have more lines could go horribly wrong.

Oidisco

A small detail both AM2R and Samus Returns added that I looooove is that the planet SR388 itself kinda looks like a Metroid in some of the art/cutscenes. In both games they have a bit that dark greenish colour, and they both added features that are similar to the 3 nuclei in Metroids. AM2R doesn't even attempt to be subtle with it, but I just think it's really cool looking in both games!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Beat the game.

Certainly didn't expect to see
a plot twist in the image gallery of all place.

Guess at some point I should redeem the code I got with the LE and see what the original is like for curiosity's sake.

jwhit28

This game is really good you guys. I had to force myself to stop playing last night because I don't want to just plow through it.

It's hard to make a rational ranking right after playing the last few fights of this game but I think only Super tops it. The only real complaint I can think of is it could have used a little more enemy variety.

I find it easier to go back to than Metroid 1.

I said this before but it's an interesting transitioning period from Metroid to Super Metroid. It's still clunky and archaic by today's standards and especially in comparison to what came after, but it introduced quite a handful of innovations that are now standard in the series, like missle and health recharge stations, save points, Samus' generally improved control options (like being able to crouch and shoot down), etc.

I wouldn't go back to it now after playing through AM2R and Samus Returns, but I did play through it all the way on my 3DS back in 2015 and had a good time. Which is a lot more than I can say for the original Metroid.

Prisoner

I said this before but it's an interesting transitioning period from Metroid to Super Metroid. It's still clunky and archaic by today's standards and especially in comparison to what came after, but it introduced quite a handful of innovations that are now standard in the series, like missle and health recharge stations, save points, Samus' generally improved control options (like being able to crouch and shoot down), etc.

I wouldn't go back to it now after playing through AM2R and Samus Returns, but I did play through it all the way on my 3DS back in 2015 and had a good time. Which is a lot more than I can say for the original Metroid.

Totally. And you have a better sense of progression in Metroid 2, thanks to the metroid counter and the tiered level design, with the world gradually opening up when you kill X number of metroids.

In Metroid 1 you can go around in circles for days without making any headway.

BriGuy

I'm in the midst of Area 5 and rapidly losing my will to keep playing. It's just roadblocks every which way. Can't go here because I don't have the gravity suit, can't get past there because I don't have power bombs, no passing that because I don't have the screw attack... Repeat ad nauseum. The area is too goddamn big, it takes way too long to traverse, and there's bullet sponge enemies on every goddamn ledge slowing things down even more. I'm at the point where I feel the game is purposefully wasting my time now.

I'm in the midst of Area 5 and rapidly losing my will to keep playing. It's just roadblocks every which way. Can't go here because I don't have the gravity suit, can't get past there because I don't have power bombs, no passing that because I don't have the screw attack... Repeat ad nauseum. The area is too goddamn big, it takes way too long to traverse, and there's bullet sponge enemies on every goddamn ledge slowing things down even more. I'm at the point where I feel the game is purposefully wasting my time now.
You get some of those items in the very same area.

The spongy enemies will be no problem in a bit. 😉

A tip on fighting
the Queen Metroid:

She seems to take three Power Bombs to kill regardless of how much you've damaged her mouth--so use Super Missiles exclusively to stun her, but when she becomes stunned do not waste your Super Missiles at all. She doesn't take very many Super Missiles to stun, so if you conserve them for this sole purpose she goes down fairly quickly if you know her attack patterns.

tesqui

Started my second playthrough on hard. Thought it'd be fun to see how fast I could get through it. I'm at 4 hours and about to enter area 6.

Getting sub 4 hours is going to be more difficult than I initially thought. Well, I guess also being on hard doesn't help lol

Beat it at 13 hours, not 100%.

I haven't contributed much to this thread, but I just want to say that I really liked this game. The Metroid core gameplay loop (explore areas, slowly unlock new powers, gain access to other ares) is fully intact here and is as fun as ever. Also the controls feels great (360 degree aim is a huge revelation!), and the visuals are great too (really love how interesting the backgrounds are).

If I have one complaint, it's that the game drags / starts to feel a little repetitive by the end. I think the game is slightly too long. IMO, I would have cut area
. Also I agree with other people saying that enemies have a bit too much health (both normal enemies and bosses).

That said, boss fights are definitely a highlight of this game. They're challenging enough, and also creative and fun. Also the 360 degree aim really makes the boss fights feel fair, since you can dodge and attack independently. No hyperbole: these are some of my favorite bosses in a 2D platformer game. Really wasn't expecting that from Metroid.

A tip on fighting
the Queen Metroid:

She seems to take three Power Bombs to kill regardless of how much you've damaged her mouth--so use Super Missiles exclusively to stun her, but when she becomes stunned do not waste your Super Missiles at all. She doesn't take very many Super Missiles to stun, so if you conserve them for this sole purpose she goes down fairly quickly if you know her attack patterns.
I never used a single power bomb, and she died in three phases for me, with constant super barrage. They aren't required. I never even thought to use the Other M way of killing her

I never used a single power bomb, and she died in three phases for me, with constant super barrage. They aren't required. I never even thought to use the Other M way of killing her

You're right they're not required. My interpretation is that using a power bomb just gives you a head start on the next phase. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Opa-Pa

I think resorting to morph ball and bombs for that specific boss is one of the coolest moments in the series but also one of the most obvious weak points, so I'm always a bit frustrated when I read people skipped it in every iteration of the fight haha.

I remember doing it in the original GB game and thought it was genius, but I was so sure it was mandatory too.

It was one of the few moments I enjoyed from Other M too, that was a cool and unexpected callback.

Without spoiling anything, what's the best time to go back through earlier areas and pick up all the items I missed? I assume there's a point of no return, but I don't know where it is. I only have one Metroid left on the counter, but there are still a couple of environmental obstacles that I don't know how to get around, so I don't know if I'm going to learn another ability or something.

It's true you don't need Power Bombs, but she's much faster if you do use them.

Without spoiling anything, what's the best time to go back through earlier areas and pick up all the items I missed? I assume there's a point of no return, but I don't know where it is. I only have one Metroid left on the counter, but there are still a couple of environmental obstacles that I don't know how to get around, so I don't know if I'm going to learn another ability or something.
There's one ability left for you to get--once you get it (and you'll know it when you get it) that's the best time to head back.

Hylian7

Just 100%'d it.

Holy shiiiiiiiiiit when the last memory started going red and blurry that was a fucking cool moment. I'm wildly curious of the implications of a Chozo potentially starting a civil war, and possibly having metroids and/or X out there, and of course Aeion.

I finished it a while ago; took me nearly 11 hours to 100% on my first go.

There are some noticeable flaws: the music outside of the reused (but still great) Prime tracks was lacking; some areas were a little annoying; and some of the precision jumping and aiming moments were iffy.

But the exploration was fun, I liked the combat, and the setting was enticing. The D-pad powers definitely helped make some areas more manageable. Gathering all of the weapon expansions and upgrades and then plowing through hordes of enemies was satisfying. The same can be said for the bosses: sometimes irritating at first, but always nice to bring down.

I wanted to clear it before Pokémon Gold unlocked on the eShop, but I can see myself revisiting it down the road. If you haven't retired your 3DS yet, definitely check this one out.

MoonFrog

Fiddled with OG II a tiny bit today. I don't know if I'll play it all the way through, but I want to play some of it again to regain my baring wrt it.

Also don't know what my approach to hard mode is going to be. Do I try it right now? Wait a bit?

I have positive reasons I want to: a) I am still hungry for that game and b) it would help firm up my mind about it.

(I do like to get a better "grasp" on these things but they are kind of elusive or my mind is a sieve. I think it is both. At the same time, how firm should you really hold them? IDK. Firm, I'd guess, but not so firm they are constrained to a definite shape in such a way it defies their nature. I tend to grab things too hard, imo.)

Positive reason not to is just the general: I've got other games to play that I do ideally want to play some time but have yet to do so!

And then there is the harder thing to assess, which is probably actually the determining factor, which is how deep is my hunger for a replay really.

Top Bottom