• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored: Death of The Outsider |OT| The Other Side of The Coin

Who’s the mark? The black-eyes bastard responsible for all the chaos

n49ld90.png

Set months after the events of Dishonored 2, you play as Billie Lurk as she sets out in Karnaca to reunite with her old mentor Daud and go together to the dark underbelly of the city to retrieve artifacts in order to defeat The Outsider, the source of all the chaos in the Empire. The story will delve more into the Outsider and the reason behind his existence

f1HA3Vo.png

Dishonored: Death of The Outsider is set in the Empire of The Isles, an alt-reality victorian fantasy setting. Mixed with the elements of steampunk, political intrigues, and the supernatural, it’s a setting with rich history

The expansion will take place in Karnaca (a southern european-inspired setting), the capital of the southern isle of Serkonos. During the hunt against the Outsider, players will delve more into the history behind the Outsider and his role into the Dishonored setting for 4000 years.

uWgs2pk.png

In Death of The Outsider, Billie does not have the Outsider mark, therefore she gains supernatural powers through using void-related artifacts she acquires throughout the story as well as using other tools at her disposal like the voltaic gun, hook mine, and a talisman called rat whispers (Allowing Billie to listen to the rats and learn some clues). Some of the her powers include Displace which allows her to put marks around places so she can teleport to them at any time, Foresight which puts her into a corporeal state allowing her to scout the area of any hostiles, and Semblance allowing Billie to steal people’s faces in order to sneak by.

The expansion will have Billie face enemies, including the returning Clockwork Soldiers (The ceramic ones from reveal trailer at E3 2015), Sisters of the Oracular Order, the immortal Envisioned, and the Outsider-obsessed Eyeless gang.

In addition, the expansion will have the original game plus mode, which allows players to replay it with abilities from Emily and Corvo. A new feature called Contracts allows Billie to take contracts and eliminate optional targets during missions. The chaos system no longer appears in Death of The Outsider.

FAQ:

So is this a DLC for Dishonored 2 or what?
It’s a standalone game, meaning you won’t have to own Dishonored 2 to play it.

Shouldn’t Billie be dead since she can be killed in Dishonored 2?
Death of The Outsider assumes that Emily/Corvo didn’t kill Billie, so killing her is non-canon.

Shouldn’t Dishonored 2’s endings affect the world state in DoTO?
Considering the proximity of Karnaca from the capital (Dunwall), it would be a while before the changes affect the city and the Isle of Serkonos as a whole

Does it use Dishonored 2’s Void Engine or Prey’s Cryengine?
It uses Void Engine. Otherwise, they would’ve spent a lot of development time if they made DoTO to a different engine.

I've only ordered it as it's costing me £13. I still haven't finished Dishonored 2 yet. Might aim to finish it tonight. I can always replay it as Emily another time.

I have no doubt that this will be a great DLC, but I will have to wait and see how the PC version ends up like. If they don't improve the performance since the Dishonored 2 I am not buying it.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome. Love the idea of playing as Lurk. She's a hardcore, atypical heroine. I particularly like how her relationship with Daud mirrors that of Corvo and Emily's. That synchronicity!

Can't wait to not use any powers and ghost this bastard hard! Interested to see what the non-lethal takedown of a God actually involves. I have my suspicions... (this is just a guess)
taking his powers and replacing him

My copy coming in tomorrow. Hopefully, I actually play this to finish. Didn't get very far in Dishonored 2, shame on me but was swamped with work and other games.

JWiLL

Banned
StealthGamerBR was invited by Arkane to create a pretty preview for all to enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkAqxhkgpE4

Obvious spoilers in the video as it's a play through of a section.

Watch at your own risk, if you're anything like me it'll make you feel totally incompetent at the game and wonder if it's even worth trying.

usp84

Just a few more hours to go!

Only thing I know about this is that Billie Lurk is the protagonist, nothing else!

Gravy100

Is there any chance the PC version of of D2 will run better with any improvements they made during this games development? I'd love to dig into this one but got burnt hard with the OG release last year..

All in.

Just finished my low-chaos no-detection run of Dishonored 2 last night and loved it.

Immediately downloaded this.

Good times.

rtcn63

Steam.... plz.... let us rename games:

CPMntFS.png

This R and TM mania is too much.

Too much!
It does seem to prevent

Dishonored
Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
Dishonored 2

Although they could've just named the game Dishonored 2: Death...

CHC

It does seem to prevent

Dishonored
Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
Dishonored 2

Although they could've just named the game Dishonored 2: Death...

Yes, I am happy it at least remained chronological but man any semblance of decency for title formatting is so long gone on Steam - it's the wild west of naming!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Oh man I am so in for more Arkane greatness.

Ill pick this up as soon as I finish Prey (halfway done)

DukeBobby

Any word on length?

Picking this up from BB tomorrow.

There's a review up on Youtube where the guy says it took him 6 hours, which probably means 10-12 hours if you explore every nook and cranny.

My guess is that it's as long as the two add-ons for the first game combined.

rtcn63

Is Prey any good? I keep looking at it, but something I can't quite identify keeps putting me off...

If you can put up with Dishonored, you can put up with Prey. Combat isn't particularly good (although there's a specific ability that will let you wreck most enemies), and it often feels like a recycling simulator. As in, you spend most of your time scouring the environment for trash and recycling them at a machine. It's not great.

Play on the easier difficulties to minimize that.

Iscariot

Is Prey any good? I keep looking at it, but something I can't quite identify keeps putting me off...

It's very good.

Really good level design, music, and atmosphere. I'd say the combat/movement isn't as delightful as the Dishonored series (and it's not a stealth game) but there's a similar emphasis on story being told through level design and environmental queues and the ability to combine powers and other systems to overcome challenges. It feels way more like System shock 2 than Bioshock ever did to me.

Getting this! Dishonored 2 was my GOTY, Nintendo has that one on lock for this year, but really hyped regardless.

Getting it on PC this time, surely will only make a great game even better

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Its freaking amazing. The sense of mystery and discovery is unrivaled. As mentioned the combat is the only weakpoint. Id compare it to Bioshock x Dead Space so if you like either of those you'll love this.

A lot of mind blowing plot twists too. The game is just a joy to explore. If you like the Dishonored games you cant go wrong with Prey.

Stygr

Banned
I don't recall hearing this before "It's no surprise that Death of the Outsider, supposedly the last chapter in Dishonored's story, is focused on The Outsider."

Did D2 bomb that hard?

Is the last chapter of the Kaldwin/Daud/Corvo saga, eventually a new Dishonored game will not have one of these as a major protagonist. Dishonored 2 bombed i think, not hard but it was pretty underwhealming.

I don't recall hearing this before "It’s no surprise that Death of the Outsider, supposedly the last chapter in Dishonored’s story, is focused on The Outsider."

Did D2 bomb that hard?

I mean even if the game didn't bomb, what else could they do with this story? If anything, they might reboot and focus on some other area in the world. If I remember correctly, they said the series would continue, just not revolve around the Empresses murder.

carlsojo

Well if Death of the Outsider ends with... the death of the Outsider, then I don't know how the series would continue without being rebooted.

Unless Daud becomes the new Outsider or something, in which case give me six more Dishonored games.

Iscariot

Is the last chapter of the Kaldwin/Daud/Corvo saga, eventually a new Dishonored game will not have one of these as a major protagonist. Dishonored 2 bombed i think, not hard but it was pretty underwhealming.

I mean even if the game didn't bomb, what else could they do with this story? If anything, they might reboot and focus on some other area in the world. If I remember correctly, they said the series would continue, just not revolve around the Empresses murder.

Not having anything to do with Corvo and Emily I completely get. The phrasing isn't that specific though which is why I asked. I'd gladly check out the other two islands in the kingdom or Pandyssia.

lcap

Not having anything to do with Corvo and Emily I completely get. The phrasing isn't that specific though which is why I asked. I'd gladly check out the other two islands in the kingdom or Pandyssia.

A new Dishonored in Tyvia or the continent of Pandyssia would be incredible.

There's a review up on Youtube where the guy says it took him 6 hours, which probably means 10-12 hours if you explore every nook and cranny.

My guess is that it's as long as the two add-ons for the first game combined.
Yeah, usual run-times never match up to my experience.

Took me 38 hours to finish Dishonored 2.

There comment when this was announced was something to the effect that it closes off this part of the Dishonored saga. They never said it would be the last game. And, honestly, no IP holder would say that anyway, even if another Dishonored game isn't immediately greenlit.

CHC

Oh man I am so in for more Arkane greatness.

Ill pick this up as soon as I finish Prey (halfway done)

Arkane is seriously just fucking killing it lately. Their old games were good but everything from Dishonored on up has just been amazing. Like, there wasn't even any hesitation in buying this DLC, even if it's literally the worst thing they've made in a decade I know it's still going to rule.... haha

The level design in Dishonored 2 and Prey is so absolutely mind blowingly clever that I can't even really get my head around it in a single playthrough. When I played the Clockwork Mansion for the first time I was like.... "cool, but kind of a gimmick" then I went back again and again over the past year and really saw how everything physically connected. Shit is just genius.

Prey, I have only played once. Looking forward to revisiting that probably this winter.

Arkane is seriously just fucking killing it lately. Their old games were good but everything from Dishonored on up has just been amazing. Like, there wasn't even any hesitation in buying this DLC, even if it's literally the worst thing they've made in a decade I know it's still going to rule.... haha

It's the same with me. If I see Arkane, it's an immediate buy. The only other developer that has my loyalty like this is Atlus. Though that's cooled down a bit.

thenexus6

Can't wait, one of the games i've been most looking forward to this year. Mine should arrive in the morning and I don't start work until 5 so will get good few hours in.

Staf

I remember playing Dishonored 2 a few missions and that chaos system really ruined it for me. I know it's supersilly but i just couldn't stand that playing it the fun way led to the "bad ending".

Anyway, is this game the same?

Top Bottom