• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA kills its Online Pass program

Recall

Was it really necessary to bold and underline Activision? Sony also uses this pass too, by the way. But I get the feeling it may not stick since EA quit doing it.

He bolded the word activision to show that the information is wrong as activision don't use online passes. Call of Duty has no online pass for example.

You didn't even read the post you quoted and just knee jerk reacted.

Eusis

Get the fuck out of here with that shit! It was a way to further nickel and dime the consumer. Scumbags.
Well, it's technically true when you consider the intent with ME2, where you got DLC for free so long as that code was activated. You didn't get much though, I got the impression Microsoft policies simply weren't going to let them be that generous, which if I'm right has contributed to the problems we're facing I'm sure.

Actually, come to think of it I doubt as many would mind if it was more akin to a season pass included with games, as you'd get full day 1 functionality with a used copy, but you'd get so much more just ponying up the $10 or whatever. And again you can see how active online is and if you'd like it, then invest.
Guys....GUYS!

What if....

There is no catch.

:O!!!
At a minimum they must be hoping this gets more DLC sales. Which, well, you're making it compelling to get your product, so win win I guess.

What EA really fucking needs to do is get rid of their horrible "we run all our servers" policy. What do they gain from it other than the ability to be huge fucking pricks by shutting them down? Is that really worth the money it takes to maintain the servers?

they should just have the old games revert to peer-to-peer. but they won't because they want you to buy next years version of madden.

PaulLFC

What EA really fucking needs to do is get rid of their horrible "we run all our servers" policy. What do they gain from it other than the ability to be huge fucking pricks by shutting them down? Is that really worth the money it takes to maintain the servers?
This, seriously. It's infuriating when you try to play a game you haven't played in a while and are confronted with the realisation that EA's gone and shut the servers down now they've got your money.

Server shutdowns shouldn't be allowed unless there's a good reason (i.e. they've gone out of business and don't exist to run them any more). Just deciding one day to shut them down should be prevented as a condition of choosing to run your own servers. Their decision, don't start moaning about the expenses when you didn't have to do it in the first place.

Valnen

This, seriously. It's infuriating when you try to play a game you haven't played in a while and are confronted with the realisation that EA's gone and shut the servers down now they've got your money.

Server shutdowns shouldn't be allowed unless there's a good reason (i.e. they've gone out of business and don't exist to run them any more). Just deciding one day to shut them down should be prevented as a condition of choosing to run your own servers. Their decision, don't start moaning about the expenses when you didn't have to do it in the first place.

Microsoft and Sony should just refuse to allow games on their systems that employ such policies. They could easily force them to stop this bullshit but they don't.

Darryl

Banned
not surprising, this is perfect timing for them to do it. they can ready their next iteration for use in next-gen consoles. subscription-based online services or no used disks whatsoever.

online pass with EA is pure scam anyways. They shut the games down before a year sometimes.

If you're gonna do online pass, you should at least keep it alive for 2 years.

This will not be out of the good of their hart.
This will come back in some form or an other.

Always online, more DLC that would be part of the game, etc etc

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
They killed Origin a long time ago.

Oh wait, you're talking about a different Origin.

This made me laugh so hard :p

Re the online pass: this probably means you can expect more F2P in their future titles. I think it's definitely a good thing: more players will be exposed to the games.

Lime

Q39iTo5.jpg

APC Pass incoming?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I love how everyone is like "EA doing a good thing? Something bad is coming for sure."

I wonder how people would react if it was another publisher.

Seanspeed

Banned
I love how everyone is like "EA doing a good thing? Something bad is coming for sure."

I wonder how people would react if it was another publisher.

They would probably judge that publisher based on its history. EA's history indicates this is a very un-EA-like move. People are skeptical. Cant blame them.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
They would probably judge that publisher based on its history. EA's history indicates this is a very un-EA-like move. People are skeptical. Cant blame them.

Can't people accept that it's a possibility that EA might not have some evil scheme to introduce something just as bad as online passes? That they really did this simply to improve their image?

But eh, i suppose its more fun to speculate on what terrible thing EA might do next. :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Isnt the word "feature" just definining that something is a part of something else? Or what is the proper word for it? (no jokes :p I'm actually wondering about it).

Technically, yes, but people tend to infer "feature" as something of substance, hence the ridicule. There are variety of alternatives: aspect, component, element...

Spira

Banned
Well I'm happy to hear that EA is doing something strictly from the response of gamers. This is a good sign.

Darryl

Banned
Can't people accept that it's a possibility that EA might not have some evil scheme to introduce something just as bad as online passes? That they really did this simply to improve their image?

But eh, i suppose its more fun to speculate on what terrible thing EA might do next. :p

small time stuff like this isn't going to do jack shit to their reputation

Game Guru

This is the company that won the Consumerist award for "Worst Company in America" two years straight. I think we're all well within our rights to doubt that EA has turned a new leaf. =P

The catch is that EA would only do something like this if there was money involved, they either plan to sell more stuff like dlc to make more cash then these passes did, or more people buying their games because it's removed, and such.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Such great news that I never expected to see. I wish they would retroactively make all of their previous releases free to play online.

Jezbollah

I'd say that this is another step towards everyone playing an EA game having to use an Origin ID to log onto their servers for multiplayer, rather than having a element added to their gamer tag such as an online pass.

Removal of the online pass is one authentication hop less, if you will.

itsgreen

"We are dropping the Online Pass program"

Wouldn't be surprised if they just opted into platform holders architecture of Online Activation or something instead.

Top Bottom