• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Quake (PC)

kfH016W.png

Release Date: 22nd June 1996 | Genre: FPS | Developer: id Software | Publisher: GT-Interactive | Platform Played On: Windows 7 (Steam)

Well, 2 decades after it's original release in ‘96 I've finally given the original Quake a spin! As a hardcore Doom fan and a huge fan of the Build Engine shooters of the late 90's it's kind of blasphemous I haven't played the spiritual successor to my favourite FPS series sooner but there's no better time than the present. Sadly, playing the game in it's original form wasn't an option as it'd crash a few moments after booting it up every single time, so I slapped the DirectQ engine mod on it and got to playing.

First thing that really stood out to me about this game is the aesthetic, the bizarre mix of industrial, fantasy and love-craftian themes really gel together to make a game that still feels pretty unique even today. The fact that the game didn't even have a traditional level select screen took me by surprise too, giving you a small hub to walk around and navigate through to select your difficulty setting and chapters is pretty striking compared to most modern shooters and it's a really neat touch that adds a little bit more immersion into the game world. During my time playing through all four of the game's chapters I was surprised at how well designed each of the 31 maps in the game's single player campaign were. Without even having played the game prior I never really found myself stumped about where to go, there's a ton of clever signposting dotted throughout all of the maps, from text prompts, wall etchings and a good dollop of sensible level design with a focus on returning to the centre of each of the games stages, it all just flows together really well, with the longest I've ever spent roaming a map being about 11 minutes. It's clear Id Software learned a lot from developing the first two Doom games, the second Doom game in particular had a problem with inconsistent, open level design towards the end of the game so it was nice to finally see how they learned for their mistakes with Quake by going back to focusing on tight, compact level design.

I really dig the enemies and weapons in this game as well. The enemy design is all over the place, from twisted versions of traditional fantasy cliches such as zombies, Ogres and knights, other-wordly nightmarish demons like the fiends, scrags and the vores, and mainstays of the genre such as possessed soldier grunts and rabid dogs there's a ton of variety on display here and they all work so well with the schizophrenic theme the game has going for it. Weapons such as the nailguns and the grenade and rocket launchers feel satisfying to use as well, all with their own unique uses and providing hard counters to each of the denizens of the otherworld. The cherry on top of all of this though is the soundtrack, my fucking god, the ambient industrial tracks that Trent Reznor composed for this game are just outstanding. Wandering around these sprawling grungy labyrinths with these subtle creepy tones playing in the background ramps the atmosphere up considerably. The few quiet moments when clearing out rooms and looking about for secrets really allowed the music to shine, I've genuinely haven't felt unnerved by a games music in a while, but this is the first to have done that in a long time.

The entire package is amazing, and 21 years after it's came out it's a testament to just how well the game has aged and how well it's designed that I can play this for the first time, blast through it and have a whale of a time! If you haven't delved into Quake yet I'd recommend installing it, slapping DirectQ on it and giving it a go. I now know why this is considered one of the crown jewels of the FPS genre. Incredible.

Quake Soundtrack (Youtube)

a0FMgPS.png

gossi

I was 14 when this came out. Loved it then. I remember designing levels for it, and playing the multiplayer for years afterwards. It's great to see somebody still getting joy from it.

I was 14 when this came out. Loved it then. I remember designing levels for it, and playing the multiplayer for years afterwards. It's great to see somebody still getting joy from it.

Didn't even know there were dedicated level design tools for it! I take it that's the same software the new official episode was made with last year? I still need to try out the expansions!

Did they actually add the soundtrack back into the steam version? I was so pissed when I realised they had taken it out. It used to come free with the demo.

Voidguts

yesssssssssss, Quake was the first FPS I actually spent time in. I was like 11 or something when it came out, but it quickly got me into modding & skinning and I miss the oldschool polycount/etc. community. even the dudes who ran the local ISP would host some decent games in MS of all places. QuakeWorld was the shit. I really enjoyed Q2 as well, but nothing matched that weird Lovecraft vibe the OG Quake had.

E-Sports was pretty huge back then during this time. I don't think it was called esports, I forgot but I've remembered things like PGL and stuff and keeping track of Deathrow clan and especially D11-Thresh back then.

Carmack's ferrari 328 was the prize in one of the biggest Quake tournaments back then. Unfortunately the guy who won it (d11-thresh) had to sell it because he couldn't afford the insurance.

Man I remember joining so many different clans and all, and that was all on a 56k modem aka HPB player haha. Quakeworld helped a lot because it introduced client predictions so you didn't slide around at 300ms but you had to play like you were 300ms ahead of the other player.

Man those were great times.

Nail gun was very satisfying to fire, especially the first time you get it.

Both Quake 1 then Quake 2 were both pioneers of the multiplayer FPS.

The mods, my god the mods!

NinjaMouse

Gold Member
Easily one of my favorite gaming experiences ever. The gameplay at the time was perfect and the game prompted me to spend lots of money I didn't have (in college) to upgrade my PC to really enjoy it. I was stunned when I got my Monster 3D passthru card and saw QuakeGL for the first time.

Oh how I wish I could be that excited about games again.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Didn't Reznor also do the sound effects? Some of the best sound effects of all time in that game.

Mindlog

Not to derail from a fantastic game, but I've always been struck by the release of Quake and Descent 2 just months apart with those soundtracks.

Descent 2

What a magnificent time for games.

Easily one of my favorite gaming experiences ever. The gameplay at the time was perfect and the game prompted me to spend lots of money I didn't have (in college) to upgrade my PC to really enjoy it. I was stunned when I got my Monster 3D passthru card and saw QuakeGL for the first time.

Oh how I wish I could be that excited about games again.

Oh yeah the difference a diamond card or dedicated GPU made to quake 2, going from software to opengl or what have you.

That was a next gen moment.

Zizbuka

Banned
Oh boy, I remember the first time I played GLQuake. So disappointed Quake III went the arena route......we at least there's Quake 4 ;)

Definitely give Unreal Gold a go, amazing how well it holds up all these years later.

Definitely give Unreal Gold a go, amazing how well it holds up all these years later.

I played it back when I was 11, absolutely amazing game, in fact, it's one of the games I've got queued up for my old shooter marathon:

NnkQ7iS.png

The games I've never played out of those are S.W.A.T 4, Shogo: Mobile Armor Division and One Unit Whole Blood. So with quake out of the way it's one of those next!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I played it back when I was 11, absolutely amazing game, in fact, it's one of the games I've got queued up for my old shooter marathon:

NnkQ7iS.png

The games I've never played out of those are S.W.A.T 4, Shogo: Mobile Armor Division and One Unit Whole Blood. So with quake out of the way it's one of those next!

Save Blood for last, since it's the best old school shooter ever

low-G

I played it when it was brand spanking new. Loved it. Still one of my favorite games of all time, and my first EVER online multiplayer game.

I played a lot of Quake online. I even got tips in the day from one of Thresh's squad mates.

I have a bunch of videos of my play back in the day once I got a 3dfx card.

I also have video of me dominating Giant Bomb's community during a TNT.

Accoun

Did they actually add the soundtrack back into the steam version? I was so pissed when I realised they had taken it out. It used to come free with the demo.

Sadly not. In case anyone is interested, GOG actually has the soundtrack, although in form of CD images in the game's folder due to legal stuff. I think you can either mount them, or download an utility that exports the tracks as OGG files to use with sourceports.

BasilZero

Ironically I played and finished the story campaign yesterday.

This was my first FPS and one of two first PC games I played for the first time during the late 1990s.

krpiper

I have never played Quake (only the free one) but I just got done reading Masters of Doom so I am interested in playing it

Shogo is by far the worst of the lot, and considerably hideous to boot. Is from the time before Monolith got good at 3d shooters, which didn't really come until No One Lives Forever (but they knocked it out of the park so god damn hard with those two titles that all was forgiven)

SWAT4 is...quite distinct from those games.

-
wait what... shogo has an 88 mc? And Blood 2 72? what the fuck. Those are way too god damn high scores for those games, especially blood 2. That thing was 200% trashy, unfun jank.

RedSwirl

On a similar shooter odyssey, I played Quake 1 for the first time last year. I also played through the new chapter released by MachineGames.

The first thing that struck me was how hard it is to play this game the way it was played in 1996. Just running the Steam executable unaltered is okay enough -- it opens up "WinQuake" I think and I guess you can't blame id for the situation with the audio, but I wanted to also play it without texture filtering and with the animations how they were in 96. I basically wanted to play software-rendered Quake. I had to rig up Quakespasm and type in some extra code in a command line argument or something. I also played the game in a 1024 x 768 window.

It was nice of id to make Quake open-source so the community could preserve it, but it's actually kind of astonishing how lacking the "official" ways to play it are. Beyond the N64 and Saturn versions for instance there are no more official console ports of Quake. There's a homebre PSP version but tha's it, you can't play Quake on a modern console.

Anyway, coming off of Doom and Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior, Quake was the transition to full 3D for that type of shooter I expected it to be. The weapons and levels were good, though the bosses weren't that great. The way the game opens up with a hub area is very 1996 and I wish more games went back to doing that. Making the shotgun the default weapon was a good idea.

After going through the whole thing and looking back though, I'm still more inclined to return to Doom II as my classic-style FPS of choice. Quake feels like a great foundation and it's not hard to see how and why the Quake engine proliferated throughout the FPS genre.

If I ever get back to my FPS odyssey I think the Heretic/Hexen series is next. I'm trying to stay roughly in release order or in the order of the progression of FPS graphics engines. I think I only have a couple more pre-Quake engine games to go -- Heretic and maybe Star Wars Dark Forces. After the Quake engine games the eventual endpoint is Half-Life 1, which I've never played.

Shogo is by far the worst of the lot, and considerably hideous to boot. Is from the time before Monolith got good at 3d shooters, which didn't really come until No One Lives Forever (but they knocked it out of the park so god damn hard with those two titles that all was forgiven)

I got it based on a friend's recommendation. He said the game was ugly as shit, but the actual gunplay and mech stuff was fun. Can't wait to experience the legendarily bad voice acting!

Sciz

It's a miracle that Quake turned out the way it did given its original design intent and the general clusterfuck that was its development cycle, but it came out the other side a true masterpiece.

id's probably knee deep in DOOM 5 by now, but I'd love to see what they'd come up with if they took a shot at a real Quake sequel.

It's a miracle that Quake turned out the way it did given its original design intent and the general clusterfuck that was its development cycle, but it came out the other side a true masterpiece.

id's probably knee deep in DOOM 5 by now, but I'd love to see what they'd come up with if they took a shot at a real Quake sequel.

Well, there was Quake 4 but I realise that was kind of a different beast compared to the original game.

Today I learned that the original soundtrack is not part of the steam release. That's awful.

Quake is the game that got me interested in speedrunning. I was always terrible at it, but thanks in no small part to the meaty sound effects of a space marine explosive jumping through a gauntlet of demonic shrieks and gunfire, Quake speedrunning was a hell of a spectator sport.

Nothing sounds quite as good to me as the sounds of the grenade launcher in quake.

NnkQ7iS.png

Play SWAT 4.

Play it online also, fucking badass game. Needs a bit of tinkering for online though.

morpix

I vote for DarkPlaces as my favourite Quake Source Port.
It's great and has awesome texture packs (Rygels texture pack comes to mind). Played through it on nightmare last year. Great game.

Top Bottom