• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect: Andromeda Multiplayer Thread

RdN

Got the Krogan engineer and I'm really liking him.

Incinerate + overload combo works pretty well and the turret is a good distraction for the enemies.

I'm also using a very high damage sniper that I got form the 100k pack that I bought. This thing is insane, it's certainly getting nerfed soon.

Kard8p3

Question, what happens when you get a card of a character you already have, like getting a human engineer II, as opposed to it being human engineer I?

oneils

Question, what happens when you get a card of a character you already have, like getting a human engineer II, as opposed to it being human engineer I?

See my post, above. By the time you get the character card to X you will have 25 extra skill points. Once the character is level 20, and the card is X you will have 85 skill points. It's definitely worth buying some basic packs at 5K a piece to max out common character cards.

oneils

Is level 20 the cap? Just reached it with my Sentinel, but only unlocked version 2. Keep getting screwed with the packs.

Ok, I have a theory. 20 is the level cap. I levelled my male human soldier to 20 and only got the card to 2. Once I switched to another character I started obtaining more character cards for the male soldier. My advice is to switch to another character for a while. If you are using human male sentinel switch to human female sentinel for a while. Sounds crazy, but it worked for me.

Mossybrew

Having played about 20 matches I'm ready to say that the difficulty balance for Bronze tier is complete bullshit. This either wasn't playtested enough (which with this game I'd readily believe) or my more cynical side says this is tuned just right to encourage players to spend money for loot in the hopes of surmounting this difficulty curve.

I'll admit some of this is my resistance to the new more mobile mode of play they are enforcing. Spawns coming from multiple directions plus these annoying as fuck dog-aliens they put in for the express purpose of flushing you out of cover. It's faster paced and they want you to rely on your mobility options more. Thing is, for me it's not a good tradeoff. I liked the more cover-centric pace of ME3. Maybe this new philosophy comes into its own with more practice, better gear etc, but for now it feels like a wrong turn.

At any rate Bronze should ease you into the experience. An example of what this barrier to entry is like, I took a break from my lvl 9 Turian Soldier to try my lvl 3 Human Adept again - three times in a row, three totally separate groups of players - who in each case were level 7+, kicked me almost as soon as I entered the lobby. I can only assume people don't want to waste their time with low-levels in the very beginning difficulty level of this game. Something's off.

I sunk a ton of hours into ME3 multi and here, I'm almost about done, all I see is an increasing frustration factor coupled with that "just one more box will give me gear/character to give me an edge, just get to that next level..." type of compulsive gameplay where you're never quite having fun, but hoping to.

Meh.

oneils

I see, what about weapons? Does it give them a buff?

Maxing weapons to X increases base damage by about 30% on common weapons. That boost decreases to about 15% on the ultra rare weapons. My advice is to buy those basic packs when playing bronze. It's the best bang for your buck. Maybe buy the next one up every once in a while for a shot at an uncommon weapon.

If you have a good group of friends that you can reliably level with then you can probably be picky. But when grouping with pick up groups, in bronze, I really recommend basic packs for a while.

Ok, I have a theory. 20 is the level cap. I levelled my male human soldier to 20 and only got the card to 2. Once I switched to another character I started obtaining more character cards for the male soldier. My advice is to switch to another character for a while. If you are using human male sentinel switch to human female sentinel for a while. Sounds crazy, but it worked for me.

That seems about right, since I seem to be unlocking the versions for everything but the character I'm playing with. Thanks.

Why anyone would want to play against the Kett is beyond me. I've been playing silver for a while and the only time I(we) have trouble is when we play the Kett. The combination of the Ascendant, fiend and the cannon guy is just too much to deal with; especially in the tight spaces. The electronic guys(forget the name) are annoying but easier to deal with. The destroyers are very easy to get away from and you can sit behind them and blast them a few times before they even fire back.

Another question: in ME3, was there a permanent ammo mod? Like cyro ammo that wasn't just single use? I would love my pistol to have a permanent ammo mod instead of using the expendables.

Laiza

I should note that equipment makes a huge difference in this game.

The juggernaut armor or whatever it's called gives 10% more shield and 75% more melee damage. That's HUGE. That's a complete game-changer. It allows you to run melee builds that totally destroy most enemies in seconds, even on the current highest difficulty setting.

The thermal clip thing also increases ammo capacity by 75%. The trend is obvious. Expect the other equipment items to also give 75% boosts to their respective specializations (one for biotics, one for techs, one for pistols and assault rifles, and one for shotguns and sniper rifles) once they are released. That alone will tremendously change the gameplay (unless you're already using one of the OP sniper rifles, in which case it will just mean more one-shot kills).

Honestly, it feels kind of wacky how much of a difference it makes. I feel like the whole reason biotics don't feel as impactful as they used to is because of this equipment system - they're literally expecting you to use equipment to make that stuff usable. It doesn't make any sense to me, but that's what I'm seeing right now.

I really hope they don't wait too long to release the other equipment items. I want to test the biotics amp badly. Gotta see how far I can get with that.

I really miss the cover grab. That was hugely important at higher levels in ME3.
It was also totally overpowered.

It's also kind of redundant in Andromeda, with how insanely powerful melee can get in this game. I can get to the point where I can kill the basic mooks in three quick melee strikes on gold difficulty! Even the harder targets go down in a flash. It's pretty crazy, really.

Heh.

Krogan engineer's a female. Hard to tell, I know. :)

Why anyone would want to play against the Kett is beyond me. I've been playing silver for a while and the only time I(we) have trouble is when we play the Kett. The combination of the Ascendant, fiend and the cannon guy is just too much to deal with; especially in the tight spaces. The electronic guys(forget the name) are annoying but easier to deal with. The destroyers are very easy to get away from and you can sit behind them and blast them a few times before they even fire back.
Yeah, it's doubly bad that they get two heavy units with sync kills that seem to suffer from some terrible lag at times. So many times I've been killed by them in a way that literally makes me scream "BULLSHIT!" at the monitor. They need work, and so does the netcode.

The remnants and raiders simply don't have anything that compares. Their heavy units are blatantly inferior and even their troops are considerably less dangerous as a rule (those bloody Anointed have crazy strong damage output). The most I can say for them is that raiders get saboteurs who irritate the hell out of me (STOP SAPPING MY SHIELDS), and the remnants get observers who are remarkably good at flushing you out of cover, but otherwise their threat levels don't match up.

Another question: in ME3, was there a permanent ammo mod? Like cyro ammo that wasn't just single use? I would love my pistol to have a permanent ammo mod instead of using the expendables.
No. Ammo mods have been and probably always will be consumables.

My advice is to buy those basic packs when playing bronze. It's the best bang for your buck. Maybe buy the next one up every once in a while for a shot at an uncommon weapon.

Going to echo this. Spend the majority of cash on the basic and supply packs; makes bronze a breeze. Silver is even easier to reach extraction now because of all the expendables I can use when in a pinch.

oneils

The juggernaut armor or whatever it's called gives 10% more shield and 75% more melee damage. That's HUGE. That's a complete game-changer. It allows you to run melee builds that totally destroy most enemies in seconds, even on the current highest difficulty setting.

The thermal clip thing also increases ammo capacity by 75%. The trend is obvious. Expect the other equipment items to also give 75% boosts to their respective specializations (one for biotics, one for techs, one for pistols and assault rifles, and one for shotguns and sniper rifles) once they are released. That alone will tremendously change the gameplay (unless you're already using one of the OP sniper rifles, in which case it will just mean more one-shot kills).

Honestly, it feels kind of wacky how much of a difference it makes. I feel like the whole reason biotics don't feel as impactful as they used to is because of this equipment system - they're literally expecting you to use equipment to make that stuff usable. It doesn't make any sense to me, but that's what I'm seeing right now.

I really hope they don't wait too long to release the other equipment items. I want to test the biotics amp badly. Gotta see how far I can get with that.

It was also totally overpowered.

It's also kind of redundant in Andromeda, with how insanely powerful melee can get in this game. I can get to the point where I can kill the basic mooks in three quick melee strikes on gold difficulty! Even the harder targets go down in a flash. It's pretty crazy, really.

Heh.

Krogan engineer's a female. Hard to tell, I know. :)

I just read a great melee build for the Asari adept. Check it out here: http://bsn.boards.net/thread/6337/asari-adept-specced-melee-strong?page=1&scrollTo=459906

Laiza

I just read a great melee build for the Asari adept. Check it out here: http://bsn.boards.net/thread/6337/asari-adept-specced-melee-strong?page=1&scrollTo=459906
Yep, I saw it. Pretty cool. Would like to try it some time.

However, at the same time, I'm kind of waiting until they release the biotic amp before I try leveling an adept. I do kind of want to mess around with an old-school combo trigger build...
I think this is because people just went for advanced packs thus are short of EQs.
Judging from the apex ratings i've seen thus far, this is probably close to the mark.

Really, there's no excuse. Supply packs are a mere 2,000 credits, and Cobra RPGs will save runs. Too bad there's no way to beat some sense into those folks.

Xevren

Melee spec'd Asari Adept is pretty much my favorite thing right now. Can just face tank damn near everything due to shield drain on melee and shields on kill due to annihilation.

Kaelan

Man, once again we got to wave 7 and everyone died. Everyone just rushes to the extraction point while we still have to wait to be extracted meanwhile every mob the game can throw at us is on their way along with the big ass monsters. So frustrating.. everyone just doesn't know what to do when the final wave hits.

In regards to boosts: once you use them they're gone right? Cause I have a "Juggernaut" boost or whatever, doesn't seem like equipment to me i think

Xevren

Man, once again we got to wave 7 and everyone died. Everyone just rushes to the extraction point while we still have to wait to be extracted meanwhile every mob the game can throw at us is on their way along with the big ass monsters. So frustrating.. everyone just doesn't know what to do when the final wave hits.

In regards to boosts: once you use them they're gone right? Cause I have a "Juggernaut" boost or whatever, doesn't seem like equipment to me i think

Equipment doesn't go away, boosts do though.

Edit: I can't stand the krogan voices in this game, they sound whiny when I want them growling

I have just started playing the Krogan engineer and noticed this myself. I assume its because the character in question is a female - or a high-talker.
I'd have preferred the devs kept the Krogans as males, or give us a choice of sex, like they do with human characters.

Bombless

Finally maxed my common cards last night. Once I got my Havoc and Turian Soldier to 15+ and lucked out on a Raptor I became the terror of Silver. The death from above Havoc is hilarious and the turian soldier is just as strong. Those accuracy/stability buffs work wonders.

Once you reliably pull 25k per Silver mission you end up maxing your commons very fast.

Jolkien

I never really delved in ME3 multiplayer besides for the campaign. Any recommendations on which pack I should focus on getting at first ?

Like should I buy lots of crappy one or I should only get the 100k one ?

Snagret

The 1HKO on the Ascendant wouldn't be so bad if the server issues weren't there, but the number of times I've dodged out of the way only to get teleported back to the center of it as the bubble closes has been really frustrating. At the very least you should be able to recover from it.

Such a dumb mechanic.

I never really delved in ME3 multiplayer besides for the campaign. Any recommendations on which pack I should focus on getting at first ?

Buy the 5k one while you're still in bronze. Once you get into silver you can go for the 20k one.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ah so there's a new thread? Vanguard is still the best class. Basically can't die. lol

Edit, buying Bronze packs until you max out ALL the bronze tier items is the best way to go. You can make a Gold-viable character with the Vanguard if you max out the character, the shotgun, and the shotgun melee bonus. At max, you can also bring the AR if you are afraid you have to fight some bad guys at range for whatever reason and not go over the weight penalty. I sort of regret wasting money on some of the higher packs.

I've already posted on the EA technical issues board but I might as well ask here as well.

I'm getting zero XP/credits AFTER a completed extraction. The mission will end->loading screen->mission results screen. The XP will be allotted for the team per usual but it will show my character with zero medals (even though I did earn medals) and +0 xp and +0 credits gained. After a few seconds I will then get the "Lost connection to Mass Effect server" message and kicked to the main menu. This is happening for over half of my matches. I'm basically playing twice as much for the normal amount of experience and money and getting any rewards is essentially a coin flip. Random disconnects mid-match are unfortunately but actually completing a match only to get nothing for it is tough to swallow.

Is anyone else running into this problem? On PS4.

Tsukumo

Packs have unlocks based off rarity: if you don't max your common and rares, you risk getting them in premium packs.
The quality of the weapons and classes can be somewhat controlled by buying recruit packs until you max common weapons and classes. After that you move to higher tiers. You'll know you have maxed a type of package output once you'll only get equipment and boosters from each package.
The system is the usual microtransaction play: you want immediate reward, you pay more. You want immediate reward and "dominate", you pay A LOT more. If you have enough patience you can unlock everything without spending as much as a dime.

Anyone finished the tutorial missions? i cant get the finish an Apex mission to unlock and yes i have done the right ones :(

Sorry for being dubious but, to complete the apex missions you have to:
1- do the ones in the Apex team option in MP menu (they have modifiers).
2- do the Apex missions with an actual team, not the ones with a deployed unit.

Nemesis_

The character they're advertising on the main menu - the Krogan - are they just available in packs? Or a specific pack? Their load out looks appealing.

KKRT00

If host disconnects and its then migrated to someone else, the whole progress is reset to wave 0 - WTF?!

Who has designed and tested the netcode and its functionalities? ...

Nemesis_

If host disconnects and its then migrated to someone else, the whole progress is reset to wave 0 - WTF?!

Who has designed and tested the netcode and its functionalities? ...

Hmm, when we were DCed from a host, it was migrated, but we just restarted the *current* wave.

Bombless

By the by, add me on Origin if you're EU on PC, same name. I'd love to play with US peeps but it would probably be terrible.

Switched from my Human Engineer to give my Human Infiltrator a try. I am looooving it. Incinerate isn't terribly great right now, but the Sticky Grenades are a ton of fun. I've forgone using a sniper rifle, I just run around with a shotgun like a invisible space ninja and ruin people. Stuck with the Katana for now, which takes way too many shots, but it can handle Bronze crap pretty well right now.

I had joined a Bronze match the other night, went a few rounds with the randos, who were on top of their game which was nice. Then they switched it up to Silver and I didn't notice until I was plugging away at someone who was shrugging off my hits like I was using a squirt gun. That match rapidly went from "Casual Fun" to "Fight for your Life" reeeeally quick. But we pulled it off. I STILL want to get better guns before tackling Silver proper, but I know with proper use of items and a good team it is certainly doable.

I'm noticing a common trend as well, you don't get credit bonuses for random enemy types, so people are setting their games to Outcasts for easier farming. I'll agree, the Heavy enemy types are MUCH easier than the Kett, though I usually don't have too much trouble with the Remnant either. Still, even just two people who are focused on an Ascendant should be able to pop his bubble pretty quick, and an Adept or other Biotic with some good CC moves can stun him once his bubble bursts. Then it's game over.

All in all, a good night last night. Looking forward to trying the Salarian Infiltrator next, I feel like his Energy Drain will be more useful than the Human's Incinerate.

hydruxo

Incinerate + overload combo works pretty well and the turret is a good distraction for the enemies.

I'm also using a very high damage sniper that I got form the 100k pack that I bought. This thing is insane, it's certainly getting nerfed soon.

That's the class I've been using too. Lots of fun.

Top Bottom