• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, & Hitman all broke even, sequels implied

Fezan

good to hear but i want sequels to get jump like U1 to U2. tomb raider felt been done before. i want them to make their own unique identity.

Now i am surprised how sony make profit on all its game as most of them sell less than 3 million

GetemMa

you know what you should do Square Enix?

Spend more money making and marketing these sequels. I am sure that will put you over the top.

Looking forward to the next Hitman game. Absolution was flawed but it brought along an incredible amount of refinements to the forumla and the ending of the game implies a return to normalcy in terms of mission structure.

The idea of Sleeping Dogs 2 and Tomb Raider 2 gives me butterflies. Glad to hear that these games did well, especially Sleeping Dogs.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Looking forward to Tomb Raider and Hitman sequels, but for the last one only after 3 or 4 years and only on next-gen consoles cuz I don't think that we need a quick sequel for this game.

Hype for Sleepy Dogs sequel. Something they could improve is the feeling that the story is super compressed. The big events were there but there wasn't enough build up between them really stand out. More of that John Woo madness though, I'm hard as fuck

Get rid of Lara's awful friends, subtract a few hundred enemies, make the puzzles harder than what I could find in a Dora the Explorer game and I'd definitely buy a TR sequel

M*A*S*H

I'm not sure triad actually means three gangs rather than the English term for Chinese organized crime. Wiki has it written as 3 Harmonies Society.

British colonial authorities nicknamed the gangs 'triads' owing to their use of triangular imagery. The triads were originally formed as a resistance to the Manchu emperor of the Qing dynasty in the 1760s and called themselves the Tian Di Hui, the Heaven and Earth Society. Spreading through china with the goal of overthrowing Manchu rule and restoring that of the Han chinese, they branched out into many different groups. One of these was called the Sanhehui or the Three Harmonies Society, a reference to the trinity or triad of Heaven, Earth and Man.

As an aside, the Sun On Yee and 18K triad gangs in the game are actually the Sun Yee On and 14K gangs in real life.

Smash88

Banned
I'm curious to see how the next Hitman does, because it was a giant letdown. I doubt the same people will be suckered into purchasing another mediocre Hitman game.

If they fuck it up again, I doubt the Hitman franchise will continue. And based on a lot of replies here, no one cares about a Hitman sequel, but rather for more Tomb Raider/Sleeping Dogs.

TripOpt55

I want to be excited for a Tomb Raider sequel but it is tough. I really hope CD looks to the series past a bit and realizes how far away from the core of TR they went with this. So many of the new aspects would have worked perfectly in TR, but they just ditched the classic challenging platforming and puzzling almost entirely. And they seemed completely frightened to challenge the player in the slightest bit which is really a shame. There is a happy medium between the reboot and their previous titles. Hopefully they can hit it with the next one.

NEXT GEN SLEEPING DOGS

TAB4K.gif

StatsChu

Neo Member
I'll buy another FFXIII if it means I get another Tomb Raider. Bring it Square.

It seems that Square's new focus is to make games like Tomb Raider for us Western gamers in addition to their flagship FF titles (Bullet Three - Regionality, starting on page 8) albeit with smaller budget (the "Improve Investment Efficiency" chart on page 10).

I find it interesting that game companies like Square have been operating with the mindset of US Auto companies from the 70s and 80s. And while it is affecting all big AAA studios worldwide, it just seems funny coming out of the mouth of a company like Square since Japan is the cradle of the whole Lean Kaizen movement (Toyota,etc)...

Squire

Banned
SE not as stupid as we thought?

They were gonna make another TR no matter what. Completely regardless of idiotic sales expectations.

Another Sleepy Dawgz is (kinda) surprising though. That's the one I really want.

SRG01

I'm game for more Tomb Raider. Never has a game done a better job of being a low brow, horror film.

I'm not sure triad actually means three gangs rather than the English term for Chinese organized crime. Wiki has it written as 3 Harmonies Society.

Yep, there is no third gang IIRC. The main ones in Sleeping Dogs are based off of real HK Triad names.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
SE not as stupid as we thought?

They were gonna make another TR no matter what. Completely regardless of idiotic sales expectations.

Another Sleepy Dawgz is (kinda) surprising though. That's the one I really want.

they said before they want to make Sleeping Dogs a franchise long ago( when SD was doing badly on sales charts)

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Slee...ly-a-Franchise-Despite-Low-Sales-314015.shtml

so yeah I think they just made that decision a long ago and it's not related with it getting it's budget back.

anyway it's still kind of hard for me to believe Tomb Raider broke even (wasn't the rumored budget over $100 million? or was that BS?)

Tizoc

TR 2013 had some nice gameplay elements, but overall the original/traditional exploration and platforming needs to come back.
Maybe have a hub world leading to big areas which you explore and can then go back to re-explore later when have more skills/items to find more stuff? Sorta Metroid-like?

Sleeping Dogs 2 Next Gen should take place in China, Japan and nearby Asian countries.

sleepykyo

they said before they want to make Sleeping Dogs a franchise long ago( when SD was doing badly on sales charts)

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Slee...ly-a-Franchise-Despite-Low-Sales-314015.shtml

so yeah I think they just made that decision a long ago and it's not related with it getting it's budget back.

anyway it's still kind of hard for me to believe Tomb Raider broke even (wasn't the rumored budget over $100 million? or was that BS?)

If that is what they say, I'm inclined to believe it. Besides, something, something sequels are going to be cheaper now that the groundwork has been laid out.

Bought all 3 of those games on release date for the pc

hitman was the one I couldn't finish, and I wouldn't buy another game in the hitman series unless something changed

Squire

Banned

Yeah, that's why I said kinda. You could've guessed plans had changed after they were all gloom-and-doom about Eidos, but it seems they haven't. Glad to hear it.

Persona86

Banned
Bought all 3 of those games on release date for the pc

hitman was the one I couldn't finish, and I wouldn't buy another game in the hitman series unless something changed

The end suggested that the next Hitman will go back to the past formula. No more Agent 47 on the run. So I'm pretty sure it will be different.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The end suggested that the next Hitman will go back to the past formula. No more Agent 47 on the run. So I'm pretty sure it will be different.

The next hitman is being made by a different team. But if/when IO does it again it should return to its roots more.

Lime

Tomb Raider is a stupid worthless experience that shouldn't be replicated. It's a waste of everyone's time.

I'm down for more Sleeping Dogs with some of the initial ideas pre-Activision.

Hitman Absolution was shameful and a blight upon the Danish games industry.

-BLITZ-

What about my Kane & Lynch 3. I hope they will think about it. I want to play another one. I've been waiting for some time.

Swarley

Tomb Raider and Sleeping Dogs were two of my favorite games of the past year or so. Cannot wait for sequels to both.

nubbe

Currently playing Tomb Raider on the PC and it is fucking awesome and gorgeous.

I hope the sequel have more large areas for puzzles and less whac-a-mole shooting.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
A stupid question that's probably been answered already, but does development expenses include marketing costs?

By the context of implying they generated some (small, below expectations) amount of profit, I would have to imagine it does.

Vitacat

Sleeping Dogs is amazing.

I have it thanks to PS+ on my PS3. I knew it would be a good game, but not how good. One of the best, most satisfying games of the generation IMO.

Bring on the sequel. I don't care if it's current gen or next gen, just make it the same level of quality and fun, and I'm there.

sharnaak

Good stuff, can't wait to see how Wei's story develops.

I hope they can do more than break even with the next round of sequels tho, as a publisher they had some neat intuitions, like picking up True Crime when it was almost dead and publishing that beautiful game that sleeping dogs turned out to be; they just need some more experience probably at how to properly handle PR founds and at how much to actually expect from their games.

Square Enix has got to be the most mismanaged company in gaming. How did they only break even on these games? I wonder how much in the red they'll be for FF Versus whenever its released. Just pissing away money in development costs.

Anyway, excited to see Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider get sequels. Both were fantastic games.

Top Bottom